Disney Buys TV, Book Rights To Miners' Story

betz

VIS Deteran
The nine Pennsylvania coal miners who were trapped underground for 77 hours have sold the TV and book rights to their story to The Walt Disney Co.

Each miner will receive $150,000. That was the word Thomas Crawford.

Crawford said the deal includes a movie for Disney's ABC network and a book to be published by the Burbank company's Hyperion Publishing division.

Crawford says he received more than 120 offers for the miners' stories. AP

This is the most logical thing I've seen Disney do for a while. The story of the men agreeing to 'live or die all together' is classic Disney fare. I'm sure if someone had written a story like this as a screenplay, it would have been tossed out, but I think it might make a very credible Wonderful World of Disney show.

Sarangel

It was such an incredible story, I'm glad Disney got it. I was just glued to the TV news until I got word that they were alive. I would have stayed awake to see them rescued but was exhausted.

My hope is that the miners got a percentage of the profits too because I think a book and TV special will do really well and none of them is in a hurry to get back into the mines.

I'll be watching when it comes on TV!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter