• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Blasphemy! The good, the great, and the not so great on our recent Fantasy Cruise.

Great review! I could not agree with you more about the MDR. Overall, we have had pretty good service but the dining room is my least favorite part of any cruise. I feel for the staff because they are balancing so many different kinds of families/demands. We like peace and quiet during dinner but feel bad asking for no antics/puzzles/riddles because the servers look so hurt. The food is mediocre at best but I feel bad skipping the MDR because you are almost quizzed, "where were you?" even though we have always let the serving team know when we will not be there. It makes it hard just to 'skip it' on impulse. I also don't want extra desserts or entrees that they sometimes just bring. However, all that I have mentioned is what some families love.

There is no way the servers can know or anticipate every want and need of every party. That said, I wish Disney offered other options for dinner (besides Cabanas and Top Deck). I am with you. We LOVE Palo and Remy and we LOVE the adult lounges and beverage staff. Those venues have something for everyone (fun and games in D lounge; Piano bar in Oh La La). Those options are the reason why our family loves the cruise! I do wish they would make some changes to the dining and give some other options to those who don't like the loud, cafeteria-style nature of the MDRs but don't want fast food.

Thank you for your review. Our first DCL experience was perfect in every way. Unfortunately, we had a similar experience in every way (excluding Remy) on our second DCL cruise. It encouraged us to try other lines! To be honest, we are sailing Fantasy in October and I'm struggling to get excited. Late dining that likely won't be changed, menus with little change since 2007, no availability of Palo brunch even as Silver members, and a price tag that is twice what we paid on our trip through another line last fall worries me for a disappointing experience in the making. But, we wanted our twins to experience a Disney cruise once...so we are hoping it amazes us again!

In fairness, I will say that unruly children/teens are a huge issue on other cruise lines as well. It's just the way things have become.

Good review. It just shows that everyone has different priorities for their vacations.
Kids can be a problem, but not on all Disney cruises. I don't like the hanging out ON the stairs and the running up and down the hallways shouting from one end to the other (esp late at night and early morning). When our kids were younger they were under strict instructions that both those things were not acceptable.
We have been lucky to have good servers on all our cruises - we do request a server when he is onboard, so that helps.
For us the food is good - not sensational but good enough. We aren't foodies though. At the parks we eat counter service because rides are more impotant to us than the food. We have only been to Palo brunch since we became Platinum.
We have found Guest Sevices a bit hit & miss as well. For a department that is so customer focused, you would think they would have people who are at least semi-friendly and pleasant.
It's a pity that you had a bad experience. Hopefully you will be brave enough to try DCL again one day. I hope your Alaska cruise is fantastic - it sounds like it will be.

Make sure you really push them on the first night. I was super tired and wishy washy the first night and in turn, our problems went into day 3. If it wasn't for a head server that decided to take us under her wing (the first head server was useless) we would have continued to barely eat. Our allergies weren't difficult (nuts, sunflower seeds, coconut and fruit) but they made it harder than it had to be and didn't give us many choices until she stepped in.

Be prepared to preorder your meals and then even with preordering it took forever for breakfast and lunch. Dinner was quicker since we had our regular team. Honestly if we ever went back on the cruise we wouldn't listen to them and just go to Cabanas. They kept telling us we needed to eat in the main dining room but the last day when we went to Cabanas they made us safe food in half the time.
Good to know, thank you again!

Several years ago when it became overwhelming and even with a 2-per-Stateroom limit the crew members VOLUNTEERING their time to sign were not able to keep up with the demand.

Thank the internet. It’s why we can’t have nice things.

Reminds me of all those internet blogs saying "tell your server on the first night you want to eat curry and they'll have it specially prepared for you the next day" or "order the black truffle pasta every night--your server will go get it for you from the other restaurant's kitchen"--makes you wonder if maybe some of the bad service is from all the online "tips" encouraging people to use up all their server's time and effort on custom projects.

I am sure I'm not the first to say that don't be afraid to criticize Disney. Some people like to nitpick and have overblown expectations, but I did not see that in your review at all. I will say that in my 7 DCL trips I have had "hit or miss" experience with dining teams. Some voyages I've had great servers; on others I've had experiences similar to yours. Nothing so serious as to not want to return, though. However, on one Fantasy cruise we were a family of 3 at a 4-top (having requested a private table) and seated with an adult solo traveler who was socially-delayed, at best. It made for an awkward meal each night and we felt bad about requesting to be moved, so we toughed it out. Not necessarily DCL's fault, but you're right that the cost of cruising with Disney is set a such a premium that you expect a flawless (or close to) experience.

I say, enjoy your next cruise and consider trying DCL again--perhaps on a cheaper sailing.

Reminds me of all those internet blogs saying "tell your server on the first night you want to eat curry and they'll have it specially prepared for you the next day" or "order the black truffle pasta every night--your server will go get it for you from the other restaurant's kitchen"--makes you wonder if maybe some of the bad service is from all the online "tips" encouraging people to use up all their server's time and effort on custom projects.

Would not surprise me one bit.

Agreed. I think the blogs, Pinterest, YouTube, FB and even forums like this can create unrealistic expectations for a lot of people. I really appreciate this review. Not all social media groups allow "negative" reviews of DCL, or Disney in general.

Thanks for that review. We, too, had a so-so serving team on the Fantasy. Our server was good, the assistant...well, she didn't seem into it. I don't think they were a usual team. But I do have to say, we only drink water with dinner. We asked for lemon on the side....apparently there was a shortage of lemons. She would hunt one or two down for us and also bring some lime. After our first stop, more lemons were brought on board and lemons were always on our table when we got there. I don't expect gourmet food in the MDRs. Of course Remy's and Palos is so much better....but you are also paying extra for that. I order things I don't usually get at home. We also do not eat at restaurants much when home, so we doubly appreciate not having to shop, prepare and clean up dinner when cruising. If you are used to higher quality food, then yes, you will be disappointed. But I do love their soups and appetizers and desserts. And I don't think I've ever had an awful meal except for lobster night on the Magic.....downright gross.

The rest of your cruise sounded wonderful. You did a whole lot more on board than we ever do. You made me want to start attending more shows and join in more activities on our next cruise.

I've been checking into other cruise lines......so much less expensive than Disney. And BJ's is always having great benefits. I do love DCL (we travel alone, our kids are adults) and would love to cruise more often. I hear the food on other lines is on par with DCL. But that is very subjective to one's taste and preferences. I just love sitting on the veranda and watching the ocean go by.

It's not like the server is making the curry himself. 😃

Agreed. I think the blogs, Pinterest, YouTube, FB and even forums like this can create unrealistic expectations for a lot of people. I really appreciate this review. Not all social media groups allow "negative" reviews of DCL, or Disney in general.

Totally agree with that! Some people here are pretty hard on people who don't think DCL is perfect. And when all you read here is people raving about the food, or the shows, or service, or whatever, your expectations are very high.

Totally agree with that! Some people here are pretty hard on people who don't think DCL is perfect. And when all you read here is people raving about the food, or the shows, or service, or whatever, your expectations are very high.

The thing with at least food and shows is it is all subjective.

I am not a good cook and do not eat in fancy restaurants so therefore pretty much anything anyone else makes for me is great!

I live in NYC, so Broadway is in my backyard, and that colors the way I look at the production shows. Incidentally I still think Disney’s are great - and there are a good number of DCL alums who are in Broadway shows (one was even the primary understudy for Anya (the lead) in Anastasia and one was the replacement Mr. Mistoffeles in the Cats revival when the original revival cast member left) just as a trivia point.

The thing with at least food and shows is it is all subjective.

I am not a good cook and do not eat in fancy restaurants so therefore pretty much anything anyone else makes for me is great!

I live in NYC, so Broadway is in my backyard, and that colors the way I look at the production shows. Incidentally I still think Disney’s are great - and there are a good number of DCL alums who are in Broadway shows (one was even the primary understudy for Anya (the lead) in Anastasia and one was the replacement Mr. Mistoffeles in the Cats revival when the original revival cast member left) just as a trivia point.

*Waves* Hi, fellow NYC Disney fan!

Agree, food is so subjective. I'm not a food snob, I am very happy to eat bar food for dinner, but I also like good food and nice meals. It's hard not to when you're surrounded by amazing restaurants, even if I can't usually afford them, i.e., I don't go out to Delmonico's very often but that's only because of price. I also don't expect Delmonico's quality in MDR on any cruise line. Nor do I expect that quality of food at a wedding. I've always gone into a cruise with the mindset that I am on vacation, someone else is cooking, and I can have steak every night if I want, with the expectation that whatever I get will basically be wedding banquet/catering hall food. And with that outlook, I've never been disappointed and I've had many excellent meals in MDR. In fact, I am fascinated by the quality of food I get considering the kitchen is making over 4,000 meals a night. (Also, listen to the servers' suggestions. Always.)

As for the entertainment, we also go to lots of Broadway and since my first DCL experience I've always felt the "Broadway-style" shows were good-to-great. The performers are generally excellent but the material they have to work with varies in quality. The original shows are hokey (looking at you, Believe) but I was blown away by Tangled and I'm looking forward to seeing the new Aladdin soon.

but I was blown away by Tangled and I'm looking forward to seeing the new Aladdin soon.

I know she (for now) is doing shorter cruises, but Beauty and the Beast on the Dream totally blew me away. IMHO it completely rivaled - and in some ways surpassed - the Broadway production!

I know she (for now) is doing shorter cruises, but Beauty and the Beast on the Dream totally blew me away. IMHO it completely rivaled - and in some ways surpassed - the Broadway production!
Oh dang! Our next cruise will be my wife's 7th, so maybe we should look into a quick trip on the Dream next year to try and get her to Platinum a little faster lol.

Yes, but the server will have to coordinate with the cooks who are making it so that it is timed correctly to when that person sits down to eat, and possibly go to a separate galley from the one for the restaurant for that night depending on where it is made to pick it up--more time consuming than grabbing the dishes ordered off the "assembly line" when the table is ready for main courses, which is designed to ensure efficiency.

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I suspect you had the same servers we had on the Fantasy last fall. It was a disaster and we were NOT happy. We had multiple food allergies at our table, which I get can be a hassle. They were repeatedly ignored, and I was brought something that clearly had my allergen in it and when I refused it I was told to just scrape it off and eat already. Unlike you I did make formal complaint at guest relations, and I DID alter the tips. Our room steward who was awesome made out like a bandit though :)

We had a similar MDR team- they weren’t awful but they were far from good. We struggled for beverages/refills all week, kept putting the butter in front of my dairy free toddler so we had tears EVERY night etc. we struggled so bad on her allergy we’ve pulled it off our next cruise and will manage.

My husband loves the MDR experience or I’d have stopped going on night 2 (of 7)

One of the kids in our last cruise (group of 6 families) had a newly diagnosed dairy allergy. They were awesome, and he was thrilled when they brought him out dairy free butter that he could eat. I'd recommend putting it back on, that's one allergy that they handled really well.

snip...

Honestly if we ever went back on the cruise we wouldn't listen to them and just go to Cabanas. They kept telling us we needed to eat in the main dining room but the last day when we went to Cabanas they made us safe food in half the time.

So. Much. This. My final straw was our second to last night and after being told to just scrape it off and eat it already, I said f that and left. I ended up in Cabanas and they took so much better care of me. The service was much better than I'd had in the MDR. I also wound up seated next to some off duty show cast members and I had a lot of fun with my table mates!

Ugh. I'm so sorry. I suspect you had the same servers we had on the Fantasy last fall. It was a disaster and we were NOT happy. We had multiple food allergies at our table, which I get can be a hassle. They were repeatedly ignored, and I was brought something that clearly had my allergen in it and when I refused it I was told to just scrape it off and eat already. Unlike you I did make formal complaint at guest relations, and I DID alter the tips. Our room steward who was awesome made out like a bandit though :)

Glad you reported it and adjusted the tips. Being told to scrape it off is totally unacceptable. DH has a problem with avocado and when a local restaurant waiter messed up and put guacamole on DH's food, the server took it back to the kitchen, they remade his whole dinner, then didn't charge him. Allergies aren't something to mess with, and the DCL server should have known that, and acted accordingly.

I would also be annoyed about kids running through Cabana's grabbing food with their fingers, gross:crazy2:

The situation with your server was unfortunate, and it would upset me too. I have never ordered a drink from our dining team and have them keep my card that long, that's just bizarre. I know they are super busy running like lunatics, but the card should have been returned after the first request. Sounds like this person had some issues and he/she is not the norm for a DCL server, you really got zonked there.
I'm glad Disney tried to make it right with you and gave you a little pixie dust.
I hope you give DCL another try, I think you will have a better experience next time.
We are about to sail on our 19th Disney Cruise and have yet to try another cruise line, but we have never had issues like you described.
At Goofy's kitchen in Disneyland Resort. Saw a small child walk up the the chocolat pudding bowl and grab the spoon. He licked it and was getting ready to put back in the bowl before I grabbed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter