Disney Band+ will be available to guests sailing on the Disney Magic in October.

Interesting. I was wondering when/if there would be news of possibly rolling this out to the rest of the fleet. We are looking at another Alaska cruise for last next summer and I would love to hear it's coming to the Wonder.

I have always wanted to sail the Disney Magic.... I hate how far away it is from Port Canaveral now, and am not willing to drive all the way down there!

Glad they are bringing the bands to the Magic though.

I have always wanted to sail the Disney Magic.... I hate how far away it is from Port Canaveral now, and am not willing to drive all the way down there!

Glad they are bringing the bands to the Magic though.
A rapid train is available to take you from Orlando to Miami beginning Sept 22 for 99$ one-way.

Magic Key holders got free MagicBand+ at Disneyland with any purchase. I got one for me, my wife and my kid. I'm glad we will be able to use the bands on our upcoming cruise

It's so rapid that it takes longer than driving. And you still need a shuttle from the train station since it's not at the airport or the cruise terminal.
PP said they’re not willing to drive. Sitting in a train for the same period of time is much less stressful or tiring. As for shuttles, PP seems to be from Orlando so they can park at the station and you can pre-arrange the 10 minute Uber ride to Miami port directly when you buy your train ticket.

The main problem Brightline and any other private train company will have in the U.S. is the general mindset that driving your car or a rental instead of taking mass/shared transit is always better. You see it here all the time when people ask how to get to PC from Orlando.

The Disney + band is absolutely useless. All it does is open your door. You have to take it off and hand it to cm to buy stuff (might as well hand over a card). What was the point of making it bigger and clunkier— doesn’t do anything the other band didn’t do. So annoying how it has to be charged— and with a special charger. Good luck keeping track of that weird contraption. INSANELY expensive. Don’t hand over $30 + to Disney for this piece of junk: if they gave it away free I wouldn’t use it.

PP said they’re not willing to drive. Sitting in a train for the same period of time is much less stressful or tiring. As for shuttles, PP seems to be from Orlando so they can park at the station and you can pre-arrange the 10 minute Uber ride to Miami port directly when you buy your train ticket.

The main problem Brightline and any other private train company will have in the U.S. is the general mindset that driving your car or a rental instead of taking mass/shared transit is always better. You see it here all the time when people ask how to get to PC from Orlando.
Driving your own car is better. That’s why people have that mindset. Lol

1) it’s less expensive to drive your own car. Even with parking costs 😳
2) you have more freedom when driving your own car
3) you don’t have to get an Uber or whatever to get from train to port. Or get to the train in the first place.
4) it’s safer. Every so often people get robbed or worse on trains, buses, Uber, taxi.
5) I have more control over timing. Not reliant on train schedules or uner
6) it’s potentially less gross depending on the condition of the train/Uber/taxi/ bus. (Definitely less gross than planes. They definitely don’t clean planes ever anymore).
7) your average person no longer showers on a regular basis. Why do I want to be around that?
8) your average person no longer has any manners (blares videos/music, eats disgusting food right next to you, puts their feet in your space, takes off their shoes, is too large for their seat and encroaches on your, insists on taking their pet with them, doesn’t control their children, takes your space for your bag, does other disgusting things)
I’m sure I’ve forgotten stuff but you won’t see me on any kind of public transport privately run or not lol

Last edited:

To be clear, I hate driving and prefer mass transit whenever I can take advantage of it. But...

1. I don't use Uber, so Brightline's shuttle solution is useless to me.
2. The train takes at least as long as driving if it's on time.
3. Brightline calls their trains high-speed when they very much are not.
4. Brightline trains have more accidents than any other trains.

I'm somewhat worried that Brightline will sour the train experience for a lot of people and make it even harder to build real high-speed trains elsewhere in the US, which is very unfortunate.

To be clear, I hate driving and prefer mass transit whenever I can take advantage of it. But...

1. I don't use Uber, so Brightline's shuttle solution is useless to me.
2. The train takes at least as long as driving if it's on time.
3. Brightline calls their trains high-speed when they very much are not.
4. Brightline trains have more accidents than any other trains.

I'm somewhat worried that Brightline will sour the train experience for a lot of people and make it even harder to build real high-speed trains elsewhere in the US, which is very unfortunate.
Not to mention it’s $99 one way…is that correct? That is…insane??? I am in DC and can get on an Amtrak train to NYC for like 20 bucks. As another huge proponent of mass transit, I agree it is unfortunate and set up for failure ☹️.

Not to mention it’s $99 one way…is that correct? That is…insane??? I am in DC and can get on an Amtrak train to NYC for like 20 bucks. As another huge proponent of mass transit, I agree it is unfortunate and set up for failure ☹️.
Yeah, $99 each way for a basic ticket.

Interesting. I was wondering when/if there would be news of possibly rolling this out to the rest of the fleet. We are looking at another Alaska cruise for last next summer and I would love to hear it's coming to the Wonder.
The Wonder is tricky because she will now be spending half of her time out of North America. You can only get a magic band mailed to you if you are in the US, otherwise you have to order it and pick it up (I think , I don't know I'm in Canada, can't get it mailed and have no desire to use these on the cruise anyway). Since Aussies can't get the MB mailed to them I don't think they will be adding it to the Wonder, not yet at least. Just my little .02

The Wonder is tricky because she will now be spending half of her time out of North America. You can only get a magic band mailed to you if you are in the US, otherwise you have to order it and pick it up (I think , I don't know I'm in Canada, can't get it mailed and have no desire to use these on the cruise anyway). Since Aussies can't get the MB mailed to them I don't think they will be adding it to the Wonder, not yet at least. Just my little .02
Bands ordered through a cruise reservation can't be picked up a the port.

Bands ordered through a cruise reservation can't be picked up a the port.
So how are people outside of the US getting bands? Like I said, I have no interest in getting one for any future cruise ....but that means I haven't been paying attention to how non-US residents are getting bands :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:

So how are people outside of the US getting bands? Like I said, I have no interest in getting one for any future cruise ....but that means I haven't been paying attention to how non-US residents are getting bands :rolleyes1 :rotfl2:
You can get them on the ship. From the website: " Limited selections of DisneyBand+ can be purchased in onboard shops, subject to availability."

If you have a MB+ from a WDW/Disneyland visit, that will also work. Not sure if ShopDisney ships internationally, if they do, you can order a MB+ there as well (just not the cruise specific ones).

You can get them on the ship. From the website: " Limited selections of DisneyBand+ can be purchased in onboard shops, subject to availability."

If you have a MB+ from a WDW/Disneyland visit, that will also work. Not sure if ShopDisney ships internationally, if they do, you can order a MB+ there as well (just not the cruise specific ones).
Interesting, good to know, thank you! And no, ShopDisney doesn't ship Magic bands outside of the US either. As Canadians we have to pre order them and have them sent to our chosen WDW resort for pick up when we arrive. I'm on the west coast so don't do WDW very often, last trip was end of 2018 and they were still mailing bands out at that point (we didn't need them as we still had them from our 2017 trip) but I believe shortly before the 'shut down' they stopped sending them outside of the US.

The Disney + band is absolutely useless. All it does is open your door. You have to take it off and hand it to cm to buy stuff (might as well hand over a card). What was the point of making it bigger and clunkier— doesn’t do anything the other band didn’t do. So annoying how it has to be charged— and with a special charger. Good luck keeping track of that weird contraption. INSANELY expensive. Don’t hand over $30 + to Disney for this piece of junk: if they gave it away free I wouldn’t use it.
I really enjoy the bands and use them whenever I go places where I do not want to have my phone on me. For example, I use my Magic Band at Aulani for my room key and for charges. Yes, I do have to remove my band for charges, but that is more convenient for me than carrying my key card in my board shorts. When I spend time in the water with my kids, the band is all I need.

Also, my kid can use her band to go in and out of the kids club on our next cruise. We got our Magic Band Plus bands for free at Disneyland for being Magic Key passholders. I agree with you about the charging. I like the previous model that does not require charging.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter