• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney at Christmas

Mskay1216

Mouseketeer
Hey everyone!
So we are planning a trip the week before Christmas
I know the wilderness lodge and animal kingdom is beautiful at Christmas time but what about the value resorts?
Since the majority of our time will be in the parks I'm torn between the wilderness lodge for the look and feel of Christmas (which I really want LOL)
And the practical side as well (value resort since we'll be at the parks)

Has anyone stayed at any of the values during Christmas?

There are trees and decorations in all the resorts, but the deluxes really knock it out of the park. I stayed at one of the All Stars during Christmas (admittedly a while ago) and I remember a tree and some tinsel, and I think there was Christmas music piped in. It was Christmasy, but not over the top. If I remember correctly some of the guests also decorated their windows and doors.

Personally, I was fine with a more muted Christmas at the All Stars and visiting the other resorts during the day. We had a "day off" from the parks and spent time visiting the Magic Kingdom resorts and seeing their decorations. Then again, I don't actually celebrate Christmas so this balance worked out fine for me! If you really, really want all things Christmas all the time then the Wilderness Lodge might be worth it. Remember also it's a super busy time of year, so having a boat to connect to MK and cutting down your time waiting for buses might be to your advantage.

There are trees and decorations in all the resorts, but the deluxes really knock it out of the park. I stayed at one of the All Stars during Christmas (admittedly a while ago) and I remember a tree and some tinsel, and I think there was Christmas music piped in. It was Christmasy, but not over the top. If I remember correctly some of the guests also decorated their windows and doors.

Personally, I was fine with a more muted Christmas at the All Stars and visiting the other resorts during the day. We had a "day off" from the parks and spent time visiting the Magic Kingdom resorts and seeing their decorations. Then again, I don't actually celebrate Christmas so this balance worked out fine for me! If you really, really want all things Christmas all the time then the Wilderness Lodge might be worth it. Remember also it's a super busy time of year, so having a boat to connect to MK and cutting down your time waiting for buses might be to your advantage.
Aaah... good point about the crowd level and the buses....
Thank you!

Sure the trees and decorations are bigger and nicer at the deluxe resorts, but I find the values feel just as festive. :) I especially like and appreciate the effort that people make in decorating their windows at the values.

Sure the trees and decorations are bigger and nicer at the deluxe resorts, but I find the values feel just as festive. :) I especially like and appreciate the effort that people make in decorating their windows at the values.
Thank you!
What were your experience with transportation to and from the parks during Christmas (the week before)?

The deluxes are gorgeous for Christmas, but honestly my favourite decorations were AoA - the big white tree with colourful baubles and sketch-style ornaments were so perfect.
As for transportation...I mean, it's Christmas week. It's going to be a nightmare no matter where you stay because it's the most crowded the parks get all year. I would caution against FW because it requires two sets of transportation (internal and external) and hence double the wait. We haven't been at Christmas in forever (because crowds) but every other time we've gone, we've found the bus service to be more efficient and regular at the values than at other resorts. They have dedicated lines for each park and CMs to help direct people, which we sorely missed when staying at moderates.

The deluxes are gorgeous for Christmas, but honestly my favourite decorations were AoA - the big white tree with colourful baubles and sketch-style ornaments were so perfect.
As for transportation...I mean, it's Christmas week. It's going to be a nightmare no matter where you stay because it's the most crowded the parks get all year. I would caution against FW because it requires two sets of transportation (internal and external) and hence double the wait. We haven't been at Christmas in forever (because crowds) but every other time we've gone, we've found the bus service to be more efficient and regular at the values than at other resorts. They have dedicated lines for each park and CMs to help direct people, which we sorely missed when staying at moderates.
I feel the same way. We mostly stay at values, and one of the things I love is the dedicated bus service. I also love having only one stop at those resorts. When the bus arrives, there's no jockeying for position, and you know the bus isn't full from the prior stops when it gets to yours.

LOVE the big white tree at AoA!

Best bet? Stay at a value and take the money you save to have some meals at the deluxe resorts. That way you can experience their decor as well.

Thank you!
What were your experience with transportation to and from the parks during Christmas (the week before)?
Bus transportation from Pop/AofA the week before Christmas/week of Christmas has always been excellent! Better then ever. It's never been a nightmare, always quick and efficient.
Now this info. is pre-pandemic. If they don't/can't hire enough bus drivers, transportation could be a nightmare this year with the growing crowds.

All the resorts are decorated beautifully during the Christmas Season. Then just take buses around the resorts. Also Ft. Wilderness campgrounds is a great place to get in the evening. The campers have such beautiful decorations. Just amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter