• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney as a couples trip??

MeanestMomEver

Oh Boy!
My husband and I would like to take a trip to celebrate our 25th Anniversary this fall. We aren't as seasoned WDW travelers as most of you but we are certainly huge fans. And we aren't dead set on Disney but oddly, every time I start to research something else, I keep thinking..."But WDW sounds more fun than that."

Since kids, all our trips and related budget have been planned mostly around them.

If just the TWO of us go, perhaps we can splurge a little more than we usually can. I'm realizing that it's an entirely different way to look at trip planning.

Does anyone have any tips, large or small, for creating a plan when you ditch your kids and head off on a trip for two for the first time in YEARS?

I'll be able to tell you after September! DH and I are running away and celebrating our 10th anniversary w/o the kids. I am so excited. We have never left them before. We have been to WDW several times before the kids and had an incredible time! We plan on eating at restaurants the kids have no interest in. We are going to MNSSHP for the first time and dressing up. I'm just thrilled that we get to actually ride the rides together without parent swapping!

Going to WDW w/o the kids is a totally different trip. It is equally as fun, but in an entirely different way. I'm sure that you will have a wonderful time.

The main thing is you can plan more time doing "nothing" (strolling World Showcase, eating and drinking, people-watching, etc) than you would with a child. Other than that, I find I do most of the same rides and shows with my child as I did when I went with my wife before she was born.

Wait, that didn't sound right. I enjoy most of the same attractions with my child as I did with my wife, when we went before our daughter was born. I think that makes more sense, LOL.

Also, I can spend more time on ToT and such during an "adults-only" trip... although I always find time for those anyway so it's not a major difference.

How 'bout you wait until October for the Food & Wine festival? You could also get in on some tours (segway, behind the seeds, the MK tours, etc) and see a whole new side to WDW. Or splurge on a fireworks cruise, go parasailing, check out the hot air balloon at DTD, hang out at the Boardwalk. There's so much you can do on adult's only trip!

DH and I have been regular visitors for the last few years - always as a couple with no kids. We have a blast each time. We like to be able to get up and be out of the door in time to hit the parks early. Then when we've done what we want we can just take time to stroll around the World Showcase or sit on Main Street and watch the world go by.

If you want to plan some romantic activities for your trip try renting a boat or heading to the spa.

Absolutely! We did this for my 40th birthday and it was fantastic!!!!

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge, with a fireworks view and loved that. Instead of the usual souvenirs, DH got me some gorgeous jewelry from that fine jewelry store in the Studios, and I got some Swarovski crystal earrings on Main Street. For your anniversary, there are some beautiful crystal champagne flutes you could have engraved....

Also, imagine just going around the World Showcase and having the Photopass people take a picture of the two of you in each country in a romantic pose (with no kids gagging), and maybe in each park, then ordering a calendar when you get back. We did that, then when the calendar was done, I cut out the pictures and framed them.

We also did a couples massage at the spa - I think I enjoyed that more than he did, but he did relax and I caught him snoring afterward, LOL!

We had such a nice, relaxing time - almost like we were honeymooning again! I highly recommend doing this, the two of you will have the time of your lives!

Why don't you look at doing a "premium package" for one night/two days during your trip. If you are interested in tours and deluxe dining, photo session, water sports, etc., this would be a less expensive way of including all that you can fit in during this time.

I know how you feel about "Disney sounds more fun than that." And when you look at all you can do when it is just the two of you, you will really have a great time! Have fun planning.

We went to WDW before kids. :thumbsup2

Now of course we go with kids. :banana:

Honestly I cannot imagine going WITHOUT the kids. :confused3:lmao:

I too would recommend going during Food and Wine if you can work that schedule. It really makes it easy to be more spur of the moment and not have to have as many ADRs. ADRs really make it hard to just do things at WDW.

With kids we certainly have to do things that they want which is fine. Prior to kids we would just stroll around doing this and that. Whatever struck our fancy. If we went to a ride and the line was too long we just did something else. JUST wandering around WDW is fun. Stopping and smelling the roses is very nice. :thumbsup2:cool1:

We try to do this even with kids. We do not allow ourselves to get that rushed. We do the rides we or the kids want but we still try to take it easy and slow down. This is easier without kids though. The less people the easier it is to do.

An Illuminations Cruise would be fun on the smaller boat. But our great joy in taking the Cruise was in surprising my mom, our kids, and nephew. It was more fun watching THEM watch the fireworks than just watching the fireworks ourselves. That said, just the two of you on the cruise would be fun.

1. One of the Safari Excursions at AKL would be interesting. Our kids are not old enough so we have to wait.
  2. There is also the snorkling you can do at the Seas if you want to swim with the fishes.... :rotfl: Errr, let me rephrase that, if you would like to see the fishes up close and not through glass. :worship:
  3. I can't wait to do the Segway tour. I hope they are still around when the kids are old enough.
  4. There is also the train tour.
  5. We did the Seed tour years ago and it was fun if you like to garden.
  6. Previously mentioned Illuminations Cruise or the one at MK.
  7. Dinner at California Grill, Narcoossee, or Victoria and Alberts. The first two places you can schedule so that you can see the fireworks at MK.

Later,
Dan

for the first 10 years of ou WDW experiences, we went as a couple. We recently adopted a 14 year old.

Disney with two adults is totally different than with a third.

I can't say it's worse. I find myself enjoying old things all anew through her.

Having said that, being just two opens up lots of possibilities that three or more doesn't allow. The CMs tend to be very nice to couples. You can get better tables in restaurants. And the Romance! The Comedy! Wishes! Whoops I started channeling Jimminy Crickett!

we are looking forward to the day we do a kidless trip to WDW. We have tons of fun with our kids at WDW but we would love to do it as just a couple.

have you thought about a land/sea cruise package? that would give you the best of all worlds.

for the first 10 years of ou WDW experiences, we went as a couple. We recently adopted a 14 year old.

Disney with two adults is totally different than with a third.

I can't say it's worse. I find myself enjoying old things all anew through her.

Having said that, being just two opens up lots of possibilities that three or more doesn't allow. The CMs tend to be very nice to couples. You can get better tables in restaurants. And the Romance! The Comedy! Wishes! Whoops I started channeling Jimminy Crickett!

Just wanted to say congratulations on your new daughter!

and thanks everyone for all the encouragement, thoughts, tips and the link. This is just the kind of feedback I was looking for. I'm making notes!
FYI, this would be a 4 day weekend in October and I am most interesting in trying out the GF or the BC. Oh, but I hadn't thought of a one-night luxury stay thrown into the mix! Hmmm...

I see that I also need to research Food & Wine Festival. I know very little about that.

We took several trips as a couple before DD was born. One of our favorite things to do was Epcot PM EMH. We loved to stroll around an almost empty world showcase and just enjoy the quiet and all of the pretty lights. We also love Victoria and Alberts. With DD we usually stay at Kidani for the space, animals, and kids pool. As a couple we loved staying at the Poly or GF and getting a MK view room. At least one night we would get room service and eat on our balcony while watching Wishes.

When our children we younger we went as a family, now that they are grown we LOVE our trips with just the two of us.

We've taken our grandson with us twice and really enjoyed those trips also, and we're looking forward to a trip with our whole family, including our daughters, their husband and fiance and the two grandchildren when the youngest is just a little older.

Each of these trips are special in their own way, as you can see by my ticker we're planning a trip to celebrate our 25th also.

DH and I have been regular visitors for the last few years - always as a couple with no kids. We have a blast each time. We like to be able to get up and be out of the door in time to hit the parks early. Then when we've done what we want we can just take time to stroll around the World Showcase or sit on Main Street and watch the world go by.

If you want to plan some romantic activities for your trip try renting a boat or heading to the spa.

Hi Clare!

We're taking our first 'solo' trip to the world in 26 years. We're both extremely excited and I'm trying to make sure it's a trip she doesn't forget (which is ironic since it's for MY birthday :goodvibes). We're going in Dec, and will spend a couple of days going to the various resorts to look at decorations, attend CP on the package at Biergarten, and her surprise tickets to the MVMCP. There is just as much there that can be romantic for 2, as there is that can be exciting for a family. :santa:

And I can't wait to get DW down there for the F&W and F&G seasons.

My husband and I went to WDW for our anniversary after the youngest was in college. The Food and Wine Festival was great, and we went on tours of MK and Epcot as well as the Trains tour.

One thing we have noticed was that (wherever we are) we enjoy watching children having fun and saying remember when DS was like that, etc. Or we would say DS would have liked this ride, etc. We'll probably do that again this trip, too. So there may be moments when you miss the kids, but there is so much to do, that will pass.

Make ADRs, make some plans and have a great trip!

My wife and I have done anniversary trips (short 2-3 day trips as we are in FL already) in December. First was as a couple, then now with the kids.

FYI, this would be a 4 day weekend in October and I am most interesting in trying out the GF or the BC. Oh, but I hadn't thought of a one-night luxury stay thrown into the mix! Hmmm...

I can't help you much with GF (never stayed, but have always wanted to). BC is great!

I would weigh what you want to do in the parks very carefully when picking your resort... GF is on the monorail, BUT BC has ferry access to EP and DHS. PLUS if you decided to have a night out drinking around the World or an evening at the Boardwalk, you'd be sooo close to home!

I don't know what Disney is like post-kids, because I'm pregnant with our first right now. However, we spent our honeymoon at Disney World and loved it, so we've already discussed doing it again post-kids.

I think we mostly loved it, because it was just us that we had to worry about. We went with my family last year, and it was so stressful, because we had to deal with all the "I want to go here" from all different directions. Since it was just us, we could easily compromise over what we wanted to do. It was much easier to just say ok let's do this now, and that next. We spent a lot of time wandering around the World Showcase, and just wandering in general. It was a long trip (10 days) so we had plenty of time to do almost all the attractions. If we were going to return just us again, we would know better which attractions we wanted to skip. My husband had never been before, so I wanted to expose him to everything.

Doing a night or 2 on the Premium or Platinum plan is a fantastic idea. We decided to stay longer, instead of splurging a little, but I love this idea for the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter