Disney Announces Eliminating Magic Hours. Will Replace with 30 Minute Early Entrance to Parks

Except extra magic hours were only at ONE park per morning, and they were slammed. People actually started avoiding the EMH parks because it meant it was often overall the most crowded park of the day because of it.

This 30 minute early entry will spread resort guests across all 4 parks every day. I think it’s nice that it’ll be spread across the 4 parks.

Tokyo Disney does the Happy 15 for resort guests - basically a 15 minute head start to get to one of the most popular attractions. It’s considered a great perk there.

I am kind of optimistic about this new 30 minute early entry at all the parks. 🤷🏻‍♀️ We’ll see how it goes when it rolls out.

I am also optimistic after thinking about how we tour.

Thanksgiving 2019 HS had the EMH daily. It was great! I imagine 30 minutes every day in every park could work out well.

Perhaps that earlier 30 minutes leads to more food/beverage being consumed, on average, per guest over each day. I wouldn't be surprised if that was at least part of the marketing/accounting discussions.

it's possible - also, I would think, lead to less extra expense vs old style EMHs. Like everyone has said the parks have been opening 30+ minutes early anyway, so really no change of operations other than having to segment people into who gets in early and who doesn't

I also think this really could be a push to stay on property if riding things like MMRR or Mine Train or FoP (or Rat when it open) or other rides that get that big line at rope drop as now you get that head start vs people that stay off property

As someone who does often stay off proper I feel like that is a negative impact to those stays as before I would just plan days around avoiding EMH parks and then would be in the same rope drop crowd as those that are staying on property/no "negative position" for us

So no extra expesnse and the potentail to make staying on property more attractive? Seems like a win for Disney

When does this start? I’d like to hear trip reports on how busy it is with only resort guests and how much of a cluster it is with people who show up early anyway and clog up the lines. I know they handled it with EMH in the past but with so many changes recently I wonder how many will claim ignorance or get angry with CMs

I also think this really could be a push to stay on property if riding things like MMRR or Mine Train or FoP (or Rat when it open) or other rides that get that big line at rope drop as now you get that head start vs people that stay off property

As someone who does often stay off proper I feel like that is a negative impact to those stays as before I would just plan days around avoiding EMH parks and then would be in the same rope drop crowd as those that are staying on property/no "negative position" for us

Yeah it will be interesting to see how that works. But yeah the ability to just rope drop FoP or MFSR if you don't get a FP for them s going to be difficult for off-site guests since the lines will likely be long by the time they get in. Then if disney brings back some form of FP with prioriity for on-site guests again the ability to ride new rides if you are staying off-site may become very tough - no FP availability plus limited ability to rope drop.

So no extra expesnse and the potentail to make staying on property more attractive? Seems like a win for Disney

Great observation. The families that struggle with getting the children up and ready to go for a drive to the parks will look at staying onsite more. But, the counter could be for offsite guests to do the afternoon/evening visits knowing those early visiting guests retreat and recover later in the day; that's the cards I'd be playing.

When does this start? I’d like to hear trip reports on how busy it is with only resort guests and how much of a cluster it is with people who show up early anyway and clog up the lines. I know they handled it with EMH in the past but with so many changes recently I wonder how many will claim ignorance or get angry with CMs

They didn't say, just that it is coming in 2021 ... could be next week or could not be until the Fall. I would expect it by Oct 1st (for the 50th) and probably prior to work the kinks out, but we don't really know

Great observation. The families that struggle with getting the children up and ready to go for a drive to the parks will look at staying onsite more. But, the counter could be for offsite guests to do the afternoon/evening visits knowing those early visiting guests retreat and recover later in the day; that's the cards I'd be playing.

yeah, for sure - and at least of late it does seem like later in the day a lot of those rides have shorter lines - that the initial push dies down

So maybe a way to think of it is that "rope drop strategy" goes off the table (or at least is a less effective) strategy for off site stays and instead, have a different strategy

Also would add value to any paid after hours events (if/when those start up again)

So maybe a way to think of it is that "rope drop strategy" goes off the table (or at least is a less effective) strategy for off site stays and instead, have a different strategy

100% agree. It's a game of conservation of family energy to run the marathon later in the day. I think this style vacation is a win-win for the savvy guest(s). Let the masses take themselves out of the rat race. :thumbsup2

If you are going to the parks early I still most people will still go early on site or not.

The only thing keeping me on site is the bus transport to and from the parks. I hate the idea of driving somewhere after a long day at MK.

If you are going to the parks early I still most people will still go early on site or not.

The only thing keeping me on site is the bus transport to and from the parks. I hate the idea of driving somewhere after a long day at MK.

or after drinking around the world. lol. Seriously though that is one reason I like the on-site transport. If I want to drink I can and don't have to worry about it since I'm not driving.

For me yes the on-site transportation is a big deal. Trip I just came from my room was real close to the skyliner and that was awesome. I normally go to rundisney races which hopefully will be back in 22 and at 2-3am in the morning I don't want to have to drive anywhere. I want to stumble out of bed and just point me to a bus to the start line. Makes a big difference that early in the morning.

That was me. Even when on-site i would go to the mparks without EMH. "great... EMH at AK. good day to go to MK"

That's what we did for morning EMH. We're not morning people and they made the EMH park more crowded. We did try to hit all of the evening EMH and stay in the parks as late as possible.

That's what we did for morning EMH. We're not morning people and they made the EMH park more crowded. We did try to hit all of the evening EMH and stay in the parks as late as possible.

Agree on evening EMH. I'd often start at another park then hop over to the EMH park to take advantaage of evening hours.

The Disney Parks Blog article says: "coming later this year as part of our 50th anniversary celebration." Early Entry will likely mean making non-Resort day guests wait outside the park entrances, which is incompatible with social distancing efforts. So, I think they hope to be able to justify a lessening of social distancing before they put this in effect.

I'm sure there were always some people who claimed ignorance and tried to get in for EMH in the past even though they weren't entitled to. I imagine Disney knows how to deal with it.

Agree on evening EMH. I'd often start at another park then hop over to the EMH park to take advantaage of evening hours.

Only thing that sucks about it, but I hope the parks will allow different evening events but not at 100 bucks a shot. I'd spend an extra $20 on top of my daily ticket to stay later, but not $100+.

Heck i would spend that cash on each ticket in a package so I had access to it my entire stay, kind of like a hopper pass option.

How does Disney intend to prevent off site people from clogging up the parking lot entrances and turnstiles thus ruining this “perk” if you’ve ever showed up 30 minutes late to an EMH opening you’ll know what I’m talking about...

How does Disney intend to prevent off site people from clogging up the parking lot entrances and turnstiles thus ruining this “perk” if you’ve ever showed up 30 minutes late to an EMH opening you’ll know what I’m talking about...

Not much you can do about parking lots but like they do for AP people they could have dedicated turnstyles for resort guests using the 30 minute window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter