Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

if they are the original non puck style I’d say you should consider replacing if they are the 2.0’s they “should” work in instances where you tap Mickey to mickey (doors,lightning lanes,park entry…) but like you said long range like ride photos no

Yes they will. Anything where you actually tap your MB to a touch point will work no matter how old the MB is.

I agree with @OKW Lover above. The touchpoint functions will work essentially forever because the power comes from the touchpoint, not the MB. As you already know, it probably won’t link ride photos - because that function does rely on a live battery in the MB itself.

If you have a smart phone with Bluetooth turned on and MDE installed and have given MDE permission to use Bluetooth, it can link ride photos that way. It doesn’t always work, but neither do MBs!

Hi - I planned a somewhat last-minute trip and arrive Wednesday. I dropped the ball and forgot to order Magic bands before it was too late for them to be sent to my home and instead, they will be at the resort. My last trip was pre-Magicband+ with the need for charging and reading back a few pages, I'm wondering if I'll need to charge it more when I arrive (and link)? We're arriving in the late morning so probably won't have access to our room so just preparing for whether we'll have to find a place to charge it or if it will work for a few hours until we come back to the resort to regroup in the afternoon -thanks!

Hi - I planned a somewhat last-minute trip and arrive Wednesday. I dropped the ball and forgot to order Magic bands before it was too late for them to be sent to my home and instead, they will be at the resort. My last trip was pre-Magicband+ with the need for charging and reading back a few pages, I'm wondering if I'll need to charge it more when I arrive (and link)? We're arriving in the late morning so probably won't have access to our room so just preparing for whether we'll have to find a place to charge it or if it will work for a few hours until we come back to the resort to regroup in the afternoon -thanks!
If it's the new MagicBand+, they will have a partial charge and will work out of the box for any function where you need to touch the band to a reader (park entry, room entry, LL entry, etc.). Since you ordered them through MDE, they will already be linked.

Hi All, we bought magic bands + on our last trip in September and we have one coming up in December, how do l link them to my December trip?

As long as the room reservation and the MB+ are linked to the MDE, they will just work.
Agreed. The linking is all through the MDE account. The room reservation, the MB+, the tickets, dining reservations, friends/family - all in MDE and linked together.

As long as the room reservation and the MB+ are linked to the MDE, they will just work.
Agreed. The linking is all through the MDE account. The room reservation, the MB+, the tickets, dining reservations, friends/family - all in MDE and linked together.
So I'm new to MB in general, & I've read a bunch of stuff here (but obviously not enough. lol)… I don't use photo pass or anything really, and I'm a DLR regular, never been to WDW, with that said do i need either a MB or MB+?
I have a trip planned in Jan & I noticed on the website its trying to sell me a different one for each hotel I'm staying at, is there any advantage in taking them up on that offer? I assume I can just buy any MB & link it to my acct & I should be good to go?

So I'm new to MB in general, & I've read a bunch of stuff here (but obviously not enough. lol)… I don't use photo pass or anything really, and I'm a DLR regular, never been to WDW, with that said do i need either a MB or MB+?
I have a trip planned in Jan & I noticed on the website its trying to sell me a different one for each hotel I'm staying at, is there any advantage in taking them up on that offer? I assume I can just buy any MB & link it to my acct & I should be good to go?
If you have an MDE app and account for WDW, you could get away without a MB or MB+, but a MB makes things easier (in our opinion). You can buy one before you go (I suggest you would never require more than one, unless you want different colors/designs), or wait until you arrive. If you're staying on WDW property, there's usually a slight discount when you pre-purchase, but the overall selection might be better once you get to Disney. If you have a Disney reservation and you purchase through the app, your band should automatically be linked for you - or you can link your own. Not sure if this helps - I might have made it more confusing!

If it were us, we'd pre-purchase one MB for each of us, and use those during the WDW trip. It makes things much simpler since you can use it as your ticket, your room key, your G+/LL/ILL scan, your credit card for purchases, etc. Enjoy your trip!

If you have an MDE app and account for WDW, you could get away without a MB or MB+, but a MB makes things easier (in our opinion). You can buy one before you go (I suggest you would never require more than one, unless you want different colors/designs), or wait until you arrive. If you're staying on WDW property, there's usually a slight discount when you pre-purchase, but the overall selection might be better once you get to Disney. If you have a Disney reservation and you purchase through the app, your band should automatically be linked for you - or you can link your own. Not sure if this helps - I might have made it more confusing!

If it were us, we'd pre-purchase one MB for each of us, and use those during the WDW trip. It makes things much simpler since you can use it as your ticket, your room key, your G+/LL/ILL scan, your credit card for purchases, etc. Enjoy your trip!
Very helpful!!

I just ordered ahead on the app for $34.99 (Oswald), so that should be good to go. I may have to pick up another if the designs are so many I just have to have another. ;)

Very helpful!!

I just ordered ahead on the app for $34.99 (Oswald), so that should be good to go. I may have to pick up another if the designs are so many I just have to have another. ;)
I agree, we love the convenience of a MB at WDW, but you need only one. However, there are so many and so many new ones coming all the time that buying them can become addictive. If it weren’t for the slider that lets me put a plain puck onto my watchband, I’d be a lot poorer today.

I agree, we love the convenience of a MB at WDW, but you need only one. However, there are so many and so many new ones coming all the time that buying them can become addictive. If it weren’t for the slider that lets me put a plain puck onto my watchband, I’d be a lot poorer today.
Yes, the word 'addictive' really does come to mind!!

Sorry if this was already asked, and I missed it. I have magic bands from 2020 (so not the plus version), and I don't have an interest in upgrading. How confident should I be that they will still work? Can I test them beforehand somehow? I can't even remember if they need to be charged or have a battery. Also, would I need to buy one for my 4 year old? Additionally, where can I buy the regular magic bands? Disney's site only has the plus. Thanks!

Sorry if this was already asked, and I missed it. I have magic bands from 2020 (so not the plus version), and I don't have an interest in upgrading. How confident should I be that they will still work? Can I test them beforehand somehow? I can't even remember if they need to be charged or have a battery. Also, would I need to buy one for my 4 year old? Additionally, where can I buy the regular magic bands? Disney's site only has the plus. Thanks!
MBs of any age will work indefinitely for the tap functions - entering parks and LLs, opening resort rooms, charging to your room account. No battery needed for those. Your 2020 MBs are “young” enough that the batteries probably still do work, so your MBs should still link ride photos to your MDE account. But just in case, if you have a smartphone and allow your MDE to use Bluetooth, that will link your photos too.

IOW, you’re good! Enjoy your trip!

I have a trip in the next couple of days and I noticed that some of my families MBs are listed as "Void" on the website and do not show up on the app at all. What does this mean?

The MB's aren't that old (from 2020-2022) so I'm wondering how it got to that status??

Hi! Planning a Big ol' Family trip in May 2024. Linked both sets of Grandparents in MDE as Friend and Family, but they have their own reservations. I want to buy everyone MagicBand+ for christmas, and I'd like to get the pre-arrival discount. On MDE i'm only seeing a way to purchase my family's MagicBand+s. How I can I purchase theirs? Do I have to go through Shop Disney and spend the extra $$?

Hi! Planning a Big ol' Family trip in May 2024. Linked both sets of Grandparents in MDE as Friend and Family, but they have their own reservations. I want to buy everyone MagicBand+ for christmas, and I'd like to get the pre-arrival discount. On MDE i'm only seeing a way to purchase my family's MagicBand+s. How I can I purchase theirs? Do I have to go through Shop Disney and spend the extra $$?
You would need to log on to their MDE accounts to order at pre-arrival pricing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter