Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

Our last two trips, we purchased Magic Bands ahead of time from Disney, I think somehow through MDE or the website. We didn't buy through ShopDisney.

We are going next year and there doesn't seem to be a very big assortment of styles. I remember seeing a ton of different ones in a shop maybe in Hollywood Studios. I'd love to have the chance to have a variety to choose from!
There are currently 69 bands to select from which includes mostly MagicBand+ and a few MB2.0 bands via MDE for resort stays at the pre-arrival discount. (I just looked as I'm typing this because I have a resort stay coming up and I renewed my annual pass, so I can still select bands for those). The selection can vary depending on their inventory. Once your reservation is linked to your MDE account, visit -> https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/bands-cards There will be an option to "Get Started" which will allow you to select a band for every member of your party at Pre-Arrival price.

Pre-arrival discount is usually $10 off.

ShopDisney dot com has a smaller selection, but some designs which are available on ShopDisney are NOT available as a selection thorough MDE for resort stays. Shop Disney sometimes offers sales, or if you have a Disney Visa, you can get 10% off purchases of $50 or more.

The Dark Room in DHS, The Emporium in MK, Pin Traders in the Market Place end of Disney Springs all have MagicBands available, as do the resort gift shops. There are shops in Epcot (near Spaceship Earth) and Animal Kingdom that also sell bands. Of those locations Pin Traders has the biggest selection.

Remember bands purchased pre-arrival via MDE come already linked and assigned to a person in MDE, with the name on the back of the band/ICON. If you purchase them elsewhere, you will need to link the band to the MDE account and assign it to a person BEFORE you can use it. And they wont have your name on them.

Unfortunately, there is no one location with every design/color available. So you might find something pre-arrival via MDE you can't find in store. You might see something on ShopDisney that you don't see as pre-arrival and don't find in store. There are some bands you might find in Pin Traders that you don't see anywhere else... etc. At the same time you might find some bands available at all locations.

Thank you, I should have added those details.

We came April of 2022, and bought the Magic Band 2 models. They might still work. I was going to bring them to check. For my son, I would splurge and get the new MB+ for all the neat features, but if my band still works, I'm going to stick with it. My husband is coming this trip and I would consider ordering him just a plain band before we arrive, if it's a low price. He doesn't care too much. :)
If the band is from 2022, the internal battery used for long range (auto linking of ride photos) should still be good (they usually last about 2 years or so). Even if it isn't, it will still work for anywhere you TAP (Park entry, Disney Resort door, LL entry, with Photopass photographer, etc). Unfortunately the only way to test the battery/long range feature of a Non-Plus band is to try the band on a ride like Seven Dwarfs, Tron, Pirates, Guardians, that auto-link ride photos, and see if you get your photos.

For your husband, there are some Solid Color MB2.0 bands which are cheap after pre-arrival discount. White, Dark Purple, Light Navy for example are all $9.99 pre-arrival price ($19.99 in store).

For MB+, if you aren't planning on doing Fab50 Quest or Batuu Bounty Hunter, the neat features are just light up and vibrate on occasion which may not be worth having to re-charge them every night.

Hi all, new to this whole MB thing and considering them for our January trip. I've read about them falling off easily. What does everyone recommend to help with that? Especially worried about my son who likely wouldn't even noticed if his fell off.

Hi all, new to this whole MB thing and considering them for our January trip. I've read about them falling off easily. What does everyone recommend to help with that? Especially worried about my son who likely wouldn't even noticed if his fell off.
We haven't had problems so long as you make sure they "snap" closed.

Search Amazon for BitBelt. Many people use those to help keep them on.

If your room reservation is linked to MDE, there should be an option to order if you go to the "MagicBands and Cards" page of the MyDisneyExperience drop down menu on the MDE website. Most of what's available will be the new MB+, though there should be a small number of MB2s available.

The MagicBands available for the resort reservation will be $10 cheaper than at retail (shopDisney or at WDW).

For your existing MagicBands, those will work for any function where you need to touch the MB to a reader (park entry, room entry, LL entry, etc.). If the internal battery in those old bands is dead, they will not work for automatic ride photo linking.
thank you!

If the band is from 2022, the internal battery used for long range (auto linking of ride photos) should still be good (they usually last about 2 years or so). Even if it isn't, it will still work for anywhere you TAP (Park entry, Disney Resort door, LL entry, with Photopass photographer, etc). Unfortunately the only way to test the battery/long range feature of a Non-Plus band is to try the band on a ride like Seven Dwarfs, Tron, Pirates, Guardians, that auto-link ride photos, and see if you get your photos.

For your husband, there are some Solid Color MB2.0 bands which are cheap after pre-arrival discount. White, Dark Purple, Light Navy for example are all $9.99 pre-arrival price ($19.99 in store).

For MB+, if you aren't planning on doing Fab50 Quest or Batuu Bounty Hunter, the neat features are just light up and vibrate on occasion which may not be worth having to re-charge them every night.

Thank you for these details - cost pre- and post-arrival; shopping choices, etc. This is really helpful.

If I get my son a new MB+ and we are together on rides, we should get the ride photos that way, right (in the event that my long range signal no longer works?). He does want to do the Fab50 and Batuu, so I will splurge for the MB+ for him, but not really feeling like I need it for me (if mine still works) or hubby (he's good with the $10 plain one!).

Thank you so much!

Question about storing MB+. We purchased these for a trip we just returned from. We will not be returning the World till 2025.
Supposedly, since these bands are rechargeable, they will not lose function like the regular MB, but how do you store them for a long period?

We own other rechargeable items that actually have in the owners manuals to charge them periodically during storage. I realize these bands have not been out for a long period of time, but if anyone has an opinion or advice I’d appreciate it.

Should I just put them away and forget about them till next trip, or pull them out once a month or so and recharge? I just don’t want the batteries to die to the point that they can’t be charged, as they’re getting too pricey to be a “ one and done”
Thanks !

Question about storing MB+. We purchased these for a trip we just returned from. We will not be returning the World till 2025.
Supposedly, since these bands are rechargeable, they will not lose function like the regular MB, but how do you store them for a long period?
MB+ just came out last summer (July 2022) so I don't know that there is a consensus on how to store them long-term.

I can share my experience. The bands I got and used last Summer, and last December, I turned one off when we came back, it still had a charge when it came time for out June trip. The other one, I forgot to turn off, it was dead when I pulled it out. I recharged it and used it just fine, it lasted the same as a new band did.

But you're right, most things say to not let rechargable batteries go dead, and store rechargable batteries with at least a slight charge.

Thank you for these details - cost pre- and post-arrival; shopping choices, etc. This is really helpful.

If I get my son a new MB+ and we are together on rides, we should get the ride photos that way, right (in the event that my long range signal no longer works?). He does want to do the Fab50 and Batuu, so I will splurge for the MB+ for him, but not really feeling like I need it for me (if mine still works) or hubby (he's good with the $10 plain one!).

Thank you so much!
Your 2022 band should be fine, but for the sake of this post, lets say its not, and for some reason its battery died way early.... then...

Yes. Assuming for some reason your 2022 band's battery for long range died early, then Riding with someone in your party (who is linked as Family and Friends or listed as "managed by me" under your F&F) that does have a good band means you'll still get your photos.

Just remember, if you have an older band with a dead battery for long range, it also depends on how they split you up in the ride vehicles.

For example, since it looks like you're a family 3, think of rides like TRON, where the photo is of only the two riders next to each other, OR Seven Dwarfs or Guardians where they take a picture of the car of 4 people, BUT they might put 2 in the last row of one car and 1 in the front row of the next. Or Haunted Mansion Doom Buggies where 3 in a buggy can be tight (like our son is 14 now so he can't ride with my wife and I anymore, there isn't enough room) so they might split you up into 2 buggies. If at least one person in each row/car has a working band, you're good, but lets say your husband and son get new bands, and your old band's long range battery is dead, if your husband and son ride together, and they split you into another car (or Tron you are in the row by yourself), you wont get your photos/videos.

That being said, on rides like Pirates, Frozen, Dinosaur, Test Track where they take a picture of the entire ride vehicle, you're good.

TIP: IF you have an older band with a graphic design you like that you still want to wear and know its battery for long range is dead, or suspect it to be due to the band's age, then since a few solid color bands are $9.99 pre-arrival, you could always get one of those cheap bands, take its ICON (the "puck" with Mickey Head) out (small Philips screw driver to remove 2 screws and twist the back ring) , and if the color matches, Swap it into your old band's strap. OR you can just carry it with you. Keep it in an outside pocket or ideally get a MagicKeeper to put the Icon in and clip it to your bag. They still had some keepers at Pin Traders at the Market Place end of Disney Springs in June, OR if there is time before your trip, Google MagicKeeper or search Etsy for MagicBand Puck Holder and order one (just make sure the keeper/holder matches the donor band style, either MagicBand or MagicBand+, as they are not the same size or shape Icon/Puck).

That is what I do when I wear my older limited edition graphic MagicBands. I have some special bands like from MK45th anniversary (Tiki Room/Haunted Mansion/Railroad), Opening of Pandora, various Passholder bands, Food and Wine, Festival of the Arts, Dooney & Bourke, etc. that all have cool graphics, and some cause the tap points to make special sounds and colors. I still like to wear them. Since their long range batteries are dead or nearly dead, I have a MagicKeeper clipped to my back pack I use in the parks. Every couple of years I replace the icon/puck in the keeper with one from the cheapest band I can buy, just to be sure it has a good battery. (yes I do link the new/donor band to my account before I can use it). The icon in the keeper handles my long range, the old band on my wrist handles the tapping :smooth:

We own other rechargeable items that actually have in the owners manuals to charge them periodically during storage. I realize these bands have not been out for a long period of time, but if anyone has an opinion or advice I’d appreciate it.

Should I just put them away and forget about them till next trip, or pull them out once a month or so and recharge? I just don’t want the batteries to die to the point that they can’t be charged, as they’re getting too pricey to be a “ one and done”
Thanks !
Disney recommends that you plug them in and charge them every 6 months. You can also turn them off if you press and hold the button on the back of the band for about 6 seconds, until it buzzes twice. If the power-off is successful, the LED light will turn red and rotate once in reverse.

Your 2022 band should be fine, but for the sake of this post, lets say its not, and for some reason its battery died way early.... then...

Yes. Assuming for some reason your 2022 band's battery for long range died early, then Riding with someone in your party (who is linked as Family and Friends or listed as "managed by me" under your F&F) that does have a good band means you'll still get your photos.

Just remember, if you have an older band with a dead battery for long range, it also depends on how they split you up in the ride vehicles.

For example, since it looks like you're a family 3, think of rides like TRON, where the photo is of only the two riders next to each other, OR Seven Dwarfs or Guardians where they take a picture of the car of 4 people, BUT they might put 2 in the last row of one car and 1 in the front row of the next. Or Haunted Mansion Doom Buggies where 3 in a buggy can be tight (like our son is 14 now so he can't ride with my wife and I anymore, there isn't enough room) so they might split you up into 2 buggies. If at least one person in each row/car has a working band, you're good, but lets say your husband and son get new bands, and your old band's long range battery is dead, if your husband and son ride together, and they split you into another car (or Tron you are in the row by yourself), you wont get your photos/videos.

That being said, on rides like Pirates, Frozen, Dinosaur, Test Track where they take a picture of the entire ride vehicle, you're good.

TIP: IF you have an older band with a graphic design you like that you still want to wear and know its battery for long range is dead, or suspect it to be due to the band's age, then since a few solid color bands are $9.99 pre-arrival, you could always get one of those cheap bands, take its ICON (the "puck" with Mickey Head) out (small Philips screw driver to remove 2 screws and twist the back ring) , and if the color matches, Swap it into your old band's strap. OR you can just carry it with you. Keep it in an outside pocket or ideally get a MagicKeeper to put the Icon in and clip it to your bag. They still had some keepers at Pin Traders at the Market Place end of Disney Springs in June, OR if there is time before your trip, Google MagicKeeper or search Etsy for MagicBand Puck Holder and order one (just make sure the keeper/holder matches the donor band style, either MagicBand or MagicBand+, as they are not the same size or shape Icon/Puck).

That is what I do when I wear my older limited edition graphic MagicBands. I have some special bands like from MK45th anniversary (Tiki Room/Haunted Mansion/Railroad), Opening of Pandora, various Passholder bands, Food and Wine, Festival of the Arts, Dooney & Bourke, etc. that all have cool graphics, and some cause the tap points to make special sounds and colors. I still like to wear them. Since their long range batteries are dead or nearly dead, I have a MagicKeeper clipped to my back pack I use in the parks. Every couple of years I replace the icon/puck in the keeper with one from the cheapest band I can buy, just to be sure it has a good battery. (yes I do link the new/donor band to my account before I can use it). The icon in the keeper handles my long range, the old band on my wrist handles the tapping :smooth:
thank you, this is very helpful!

We used our 2018 Magic bands on our trip this past April 2023 & they worked for everything except ride photos.
I'm confused by this can someone clarify. If I use my old 2018 Magic band and have Memory Maker purchased can I not still find my pic after the ride is done and tap it to add it to MDE. Or am I completely forgetting on how this worked in 2018?

How often do they come out with new designs for MB+? We're going in January and just wondering if they may end up having newer/better options in-park when we arrived compared to what's out there now.

He really liked one he saw online (out of stock) that was the Haunted Mansion stretching room one but I'm guessing that's no longer available anywhere?

I'm confused by this can someone clarify. If I use my old 2018 Magic band and have Memory Maker purchased can I not still find my pic after the ride is done and tap it to add it to MDE. Or am I completely forgetting on how this worked in 2018?
For the rides that still have a bank of monitors and let you tap, like Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, etc. you can still find your picture and tap to claim your photo.

But there are newer rides like Frozen Ever After, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Tron, Guardians of the Galaxy, Pirates of the Caribbean, where there is no bank of monitors and it instead auto links your ride photos and videos. It does so using long range RFID in the band which requires a battery to power it. The battery in the non-PLUS bands typically only lasts 2 years (in some cases a little longer, but most find about 2 years to be the limit). So if the battery is dead, no photos on those rides.

A work around is the Magic Mobile feature in the Disney App, but in my experience (and others who have posted) while this can work, its flakey and sometimes doesn't work.

So if you opt for this, keep note of your ride time in case your photos don't link, and you need to work with Guest Services to claim your photos at the "Memory Maker Sales Center" in the parks (Town Square Theater in MK, Pin Traders/Camera Center in EP, Sid Cahuenga's One-of-a-Kind in DHS, Garden Gate Gifts in AK). They can bring up the photos and search for your photos, then link them if found. Of course this means potentially waiting in line, and the time to search through the pictures. . (See item #7 in Post 595 ) You can visit

How often do they come out with new designs for MB+? We're going in January and just wondering if they may end up having newer/better options in-park when we arrived compared to what's out there now.

He really liked one he saw online (out of stock) that was the Haunted Mansion stretching room one but I'm guessing that's no longer available anywhere?
Disney does come out with new bands for the festivals, holidays and the like.

https://www.magicbandcollectors.com/ does a great job keeping track of new bands as they come out. (I'm not affiliated with them). They usually note if its available from ShopDisney web site, or not.

If you look at the Open Edition list, they do come out pretty often. //EDIT: This doesn't mean they will always be available as a pre-arrival option, or available in every store. //

When looking at that site, keep in mind... Open Edition means there are lots of them, and they will be on sale for a long time. Limited Release means on sale for a certain time period only (usually a few months). Limited Edition means only a certain number have been produced. These usually come in a special box with the total number marked on it. (For example, this one -> https://www.magicbandcollectors.com/magicband-details/?id=2346 )

Last edited:
In addition to what Mike posted above, if you’re missing any photos (sometimes even the ones from tapping your band don’t link) you can fill in a Missing Photos online form via the PhotoPass website vs. visiting GR in person.

Has anyone ever had their friends and family list disappear? I always used to be able to see everyone we’ve travelled with and their magic bands in my MDE but now it just shows mine and my husbands.

Has anyone ever had their friends and family list disappear? I always used to be able to see everyone we’ve travelled with and their magic bands in my MDE but now it just shows mine and my husbands.
Kind of. My cousin has his MDE account. He is the primary and manages his wife and their 2 daughters. We are linked via F&F, but while I still see him, I no longer see his wife and daughters in my F&F list, or on my Bands/Cards page. They were all there when we originally linked.

We have friends we travelled with in 2017, that I also no longer see in my F&F and Bands/Cards screen, BUT they could have removed us from their F&F list since we only traveled with them that one time.

Kind of. My cousin has his MDE account. He is the primary and manages his wife and their 2 daughters. We are linked via F&F, but while I still see him, I no longer see his wife and daughters in my F&F list, or on my Bands/Cards page. They were all there when we originally linked.

We have friends we travelled with in 2017, that I also no longer see in my F&F and Bands/Cards screen, BUT they could have removed us from their F&F list since we only traveled with them that one time.
So strange. I’ve always been the only one with an MDE account. None of the friends and family we’ve travelled with has ever had their own account, everyone else was ok with me just controlling all the plans. So I could always see everyone’s bands and now they’re gone. So weird, I may have to call I guess.

Just booked a trip for July and it's our first since 2015 (we're usually Disneyland people), and I have been trying to figure out if my 2015-era MBs will still work. I've seen posts about bands as old as 2017, but none (that came up in my search anyway) as old as from 2015. I understand they won't work for ride pics because of the battery issue, but can anyone tell me if they'll still work on doors, rides, etc?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter