Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

I have new MB - -the older style, not MB+. Will these work for the rides?

I see it mentioned that old MB don't work for the ride photos. Is this referring to the style, or the age of the MB?
Not working to capture ride photos is the result of a MB battery wearing out, which can happen after 2-3 years although some seem to last longer. All the tap functions like entering resort room or tapping into parks, etc. will work indefinitely.

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere - but I've been searching for over 45 minutes and can't find an answer. Our MB+ arrived this week. Sitting down now to pair mine to my phone. When I go to the "open scanner and link" page of the MDE app, press "open scanner and link" and hold my MB+ to my phone - I get a quick vibration and then the message "Validation Error Could not determine Media state"
I have an iphone. MB+ was purchased through MDE for upcoming trip. I have tried resetting the MB+. No change in results.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks!!

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere - but I've been searching for over 45 minutes and can't find an answer. Our MB+ arrived this week. Sitting down now to pair mine to my phone. When I go to the "open scanner and link" page of the MDE app, press "open scanner and link" and hold my MB+ to my phone - I get a quick vibration and then the message "Validation Error Could not determine Media state"
I have an iphone. MB+ was purchased through MDE for upcoming trip. I have tried resetting the MB+. No change in results.

I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone can give.
Thanks!!
Did you charge your mb first? Mine came with not enough of a charge.

Yes - band is charged.
Since you can't pair with your phone to connect to the band, and thus see the Band's battery level in the app...

When you connect the band to the charger cable, does the band vibrate, fully light green, then the complete ring cycles between lighting green and off? Or does it partially glow green, or partially glow red?

I have new MB - -the older style, not MB+. Will these work for the rides?

I see it mentioned that old MB don't work for the ride photos. Is this referring to the style, or the age of the MB?
Its kind of both.

There are 3 "styles" of band.
  1. MB1, the original, the ICON (aka Puck, part with Mickey Head) isn't removeable. (sales stopped in 2017ish)
  2. MB2, the 2nd generation, the ICON is removable.
  3. MB+, the latest and greatest that lights up, has vibrations and such
When talking about "older MB" not working for ride photos. Its the MB1 and MB2 bands that have the internal battery which isn't replaceable, and you can't recharge it, that you need to be concerned with.

Then the AGE comes into play because of that internal battery, which is used only for the long range features like auto-linking the ride photos/videos, will eventually die. Typically their battery only lasts for about 2 years, with some claiming longer. Obviously all MB1 bands will be older than 2 years. MB2 bands are still out there, in short supply.

So if your MB2 band is more than about 2 years old, there is a good change the battery for long range features (i.e. auto-linking ride photos) will be dead and not work.

See also https://www.disboards.com/threads/disney’s-magic-band-faq-link.3875647/post-64754681

Charging tip! Your charger could be the issue if your MB+ band doesn't charge.

Let me share my experience as to why I say this.

I have two off-brand "5 port Charging stations" on my desk. (My previous day job used to included testing mobile apps on multiple devices, so I had to keep 5-8 mobile phones and tables charged and working). The first one has 4x5v/2A and 1xQualcomm Quick Charge 3 compatible port. The other is 5xQualcomm Quick Charge 3 compatible ports. I had used them in the past to charger our MB+ when they were new (pre-arrival orders, came partially charged).

Yesterday I pulled out one of my MB+ bands, it had been sitting since my June trip so its battery was dead. I plugged the cable into one of the charging stations in an attempt to charge the band. Nothing. No lights, no vibration. I tried reseating the band in the cable's clip, no effect. So I tried the other charging station. Again, nothing. And I tried both the standard 5V/2A ports and the QC ports.

Thinking I had a bad band, I pulled out another. It too wouldn't charge.

Finally, I went to my Anker 736 wall charger and plugged the MB+ into it. It immediately vibrated and started glowing red. After about an hour it was fully charged. I connected the other band. It too charged without problem. Just to be sure, I took a 3rd band, which hadn't been connected to either of the 5 port charging stations, and was dead, and connected it to the Anker 736 and it too immediately vibrated and the started glowing red.

Now that all 3 bands have a charge, when I plug into those charging stations, the bands do vibrate and light up, and indicate charging.

I have not tested enough to know how low the MB+'s battery has to be before the charging stations exhibit the issue of not charging the band. (i.e. fully dead, just low level, a particular percentage, etc).

If there's an MB+ super thread that covers all this, please let me know.

This will be our first time using MB+. I think I'm 'good' on charging and pairing MINE with the WDW app/MDE.

My question is on my nDH's. Since he's my 'non-Disney Husband' he doesn't have the WDW app. We always book packages and he's always shown up as part of 'my party' on MDE (website) and when we've arrived the MB and MB2 were 'ready to go' and he's already 'hooked' to my MDE. I haven't had to 'do' anything.

With the new MB+ does he have to download the WDW app and 'pair' his MB+ with his iPhone? And/Or is there something 'special' I have to do to pair his MB+ to the WDW app on my iPhone to keep us as a 'party'? All he uses his for is park entrance, LL scanning, and the gate at Ft W (trailer, not a cabin). He doesn't set up any ADRs, LLs/ILLs, I do all of that.

I looked at 'mobile magic' and using phones, but I think that's just a bit too much to try to figure out first time round.

Oh, and I'd appreciate any answers in 'ELI 5' language, lol. 'Tech' is not my strong suit.

Hi. My daughter and I have Magic Bands from a prior trip but the little snap piece broke off and is gone. Can I still get a new band at a front desk of the hotel like the past or did they do away with that? If so, that's petty as their plastic is not great and I shouldn't have to pay $ to replacement something cheap like that.

Hi. My daughter and I have Magic Bands from a prior trip but the little snap piece broke off and is gone. Can I still get a new band at a front desk of the hotel like the past or did they do away with that? If so, that's petty as their plastic is not great and I shouldn't have to pay $ to replacement something cheap like that.
No, they no longer give complimentary bands at the resorts.

However, since yours is broken, it might be worth asking if they will make an exception. The alternative is to get a puck holder for hers, so she can still use it on a keychain, or watch band, or something like that.

To expand on what Subtchr said, IF they are the MB2 style (not MB+, or original MagicBands) you can look for MagicKeepers, pull the icon from the band, put it in the Keepr and clip it to your bag, "belt loop", lanyard, etc. Pin Traders in Disney springs still had them when we were there in June. Some of the in resort gift shops also had, but they are becoming scares.

For examples see this OLD post -> https://www.magicbandcollectors.com/magickeepers/ I saw the Mickey and Minnie ones in June. I haven't seen the plain one and 4 Parks (looks like compass) since I purchased them a while ago.

You might find some options on Etsy or Amazon which allow to take the icon/puck out of your band and putting it in a holder that can be slide onto an Apple Watch or other band.

With the new MB+ does he have to download the WDW app and 'pair' his MB+ with his iPhone? And/Or is there something 'special' I have to do to pair his MB+ to the WDW app on my iPhone to keep us as a 'party'? All he uses his for is park entrance, LL scanning, and the gate at Ft W (trailer, not a cabin). He doesn't set up any ADRs, LLs/ILLs, I do all of that.

I looked at 'mobile magic' and using phones, but I think that's just a bit too much to try to figure out first time round.

Oh, and I'd appreciate any answers in 'ELI 5' language, lol. 'Tech' is not my strong suit.

If your day to day usage of the MB+ will be like an older MB2/MB band, just for tapping to open resort, tapping to pay/charge to your room, park entrance, LL, photo pass, and such, you just need to make sure the MB+ is charged.

Here are some things you can do if/when you Bluetooth Pair and Connect your MB+ to your phone and MDE account/app:
  1. Update the Band's firmware/software (please do this when band is brand new, or hasn't been used 6months. There has been an update on every band I got when new)
  2. Adjust the band's settings (LED color scheme and brightness, the vibration intensity, etc.)
  3. View the bands battery level
Then next tricky thing is if you want to do the interactive games, FAB50 Quest and Batuu Bounty Hunters. For those, you need to Bluetooth Pair your Band and connect it to your phone, be signed into your MDE account, and have the Play Parks app open, signed in, and the activity selected/running.

If your day to day usage of the MB+ will be like an older MB2/MB band, just for tapping to open resort, tapping to pay/charge to your room, park entrance, LL, photo pass, and such, you just need to make sure the MB+ is charged.

Here are some things you can do if/when you Bluetooth Pair and Connect your MB+ to your phone and MDE account/app:
  1. Update the Band's firmware/software (please do this when band is brand new, or hasn't been used 6months. There has been an update on every band I got when new)
  2. Adjust the band's settings (LED color scheme and brightness, the vibration intensity, etc.)
  3. View the bands battery level
Then next tricky thing is if you want to do the interactive games, FAB50 Quest and Batuu Bounty Hunters. For those, you need to Bluetooth Pair your Band and connect it to your phone, be signed into your MDE account, and have the Play Parks app open, signed in, and the activity selected/running.

Thanks! Do you know if there is anything 'special' I need to do to link nDH's band to mine so I can do ILL/LL etc for both of us or is it like the older versions and he'll just 'be there' because he's on my MDE as a member of my 'party'? I know nothing was needed for MB/MB2 but I don't know if you do for MB+ (since it's fancy-schmancy).

I won't be playing the games, but I do want the other 'enchanting interactions'.

Thanks! Do you know if there is anything 'special' I need to do to link nDH's band to mine so I can do ILL/LL etc for both of us or is it like the older versions and he'll just 'be there' because he's on my MDE as a member of my 'party'? I know nothing was needed for MB/MB2 but I don't know if you do for MB+ (since it's fancy-schmancy).

I won't be playing the games, but I do want the other 'enchanting interactions'.
From MDE perspective, MB+ works exactly the same.

The other "enchanting interactions" are the light ups and vibrations as feedback, along with the "glow with the show" type feature at the fireworks and Fantasmic. They work if the band is connected to phone or not. But to change from the default configurations, you need to Bluetooth pair the band and connect it to the phone and use the MDE app.

If your MDE account manages nDH's account, then you can do the pairing/connecting with your phone and MDE account. Then take any firmware/software update, change settings if you want. Then you can disconnect the band, and even unpair it (remove it from your phone's Paired Devices list).

From MDE perspective, MB+ works exactly the same.

The other "enchanting interactions" are the light ups and vibrations as feedback, along with the "glow with the show" type feature at the fireworks and Fantasmic. They work if the band is connected to phone or not. But to change from the default configurations, you need to Bluetooth pair the band and connect it to the phone and use the MDE app.

If your MDE account manages nDH's account, then you can do the pairing/connecting with your phone and MDE account. Then take any firmware/software update, change settings if you want. Then you can disconnect the band, and even unpair it (remove it from your phone's Paired Devices list).
You've been such a great help, thanks! Sorry to be so technically challenged (and slightly paranoid of messing the whole electronic thing up).

We did locate his MDE app on his phone and he was able to log in for the first time since 2015! He's never really used it on any of our trips since I do it all.

Our upcoming trip is showing on his MDE app, whew! And he does show up on my ADRs or if I try to 'test book' an LL. But if I look on the 'my magic bands' mine is there (need to charge & link mine still) and it shows 'guests managed by me' as -0-. I see the 'Link your magic band or card' but that seems to be for me to link mine to someone else. His MB+ hasn't been charged or paired yet either. I assume the 1st step will be to charge and link his MB+ to his own MDE, but where to we go from there to link him to mine so I can manage him?

PS, if you can tell me how to 'manage' him after 35 years of marriage, you'll REALLY be my hero!

PPS If there's a 'MB+/MDE for dummies' just point me in the right direction and I'll stop bugging you.

Last edited:
You've been such a great help, thanks! Sorry to be so technically challenged (and slightly paranoid of messing the whole electronic thing up).
No worries, we're all here to help each other. Thanks for putting up with my often too wordy explanations and posts :D

We did locate his MDE app on his phone and he was able to log in for the first time since 2015! He's never really used it on any of our trips since I do it all.

Our upcoming trip is showing on his MDE app, whew! And he does show up on my ADRs or if I try to 'test book' an LL. But if I look on the 'my magic bands' mine is there (need to charge & link mine still) and it shows 'guests managed by me' as -0-. I see the 'Link your magic band or card' but that seems to be for me to link mine to someone else. His MB+ hasn't been charged or paired yet either. I assume the 1st step will be to charge and link his MB+ to his own MDE, but where to we go from there to link him to mine so I can manage him?
Ok, so you do have SEPARATE MDE accounts which are linked via Family and Friends. So they work independently for some things, and "together" for others. Unlike if you have an account, and manage his.

Because of the separate MDE accounts, you can't manage his MagicBands. The band is linked to his account, so your nDH will need to log into his MDE account on his phone, to Bluetooth pair and connect the band to his phone and update the band's software, and change the settings.

You will be able to share plans. You can book dining, park reservations, Genie+ LL and Indiviudal LL, on his behalf, and even see each other's photos.

IF he had a Managed Account, it would be something like when we got started with MDE and our son was a minor. I had an MDE account and when we linked our resort reservation, since he didn't, it created a "account" under me, managed by me, without a separate user id and password. So I did all his plans, Magicbands, Family/Friend requests, etc. through my account, as if he was me (but it listed him by his name on my Family and Friends list, and that he was managed by me).

PS, if you can tell me how to 'manage' him after 35 years of marriage, you'll REALLY be my hero!

PPS If there's a 'MB+/MDE for dummies' just point me in the right direction and I'll stop bugging you.
I can't help with you managing him :D Sorry. I don't know if there is a MB+/MDE for dummies. Other than the Lightup/Interactions, charging and in park activities which make up the "+" in MB+, MB+ operates exactly the same as the older bands. Its those PLUS features that take some getting used to, and how to set them up.

This will be their only visit to WDW, and there are 5 in the family. They are staying in DVC. Will they be issued room keys that will have their ticket information on them?

Thanks

Yes. In fact, if you lose your MB Guest services will issue you a card that does everything the MB does (charge to it, open your room door, LLs, park ticket, etc.). Looks just like a room key card. You can use your smart phone or smart watch for everything inside the parks, but it won't open your resort room door. Just need to set it up in your Wallet.

BTW - I found both of these things out the hard way - I lost my MB. :(

If this is their only visit to WDW, then no it absolutely isn't required. I would only really recommend getting one if they plan on going often. You will be issued a key card that you can use instead. You can use your phone too, though I've never been able to get it to open a resort room no matter how many times I've tried.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter