Discovery Cove Aviary Closed

ColoradoMom!!

Disneyland 1971 with Mickey and Me
Just a heads up that the Aviary is closed.

It’s tough to find the info in print, but it is on their website under the Aviary section -listed as renovations through Jan 2022.

We visited on Friday Nov. 12th, and were more disappointed that it messed up the lazy river. It’s not a complete loop. Since this was our first visit, it is hard to describe the detour since we’ve never experienced it as it was meant to be.

We had a great day, but sort of feel that the closure should be announced front and center on their main page. No signage upon entering the registration area that we saw either.

We were there on October 11th and were disappointed the Aviary was closed. Not sure how far in advance they could announce a closure like this but if it were a couple of months notice we probably would have skipped DC this time. This was our second visit and we really enjoy DC but the Aviary is a real draw for my wife and daughters. The tough thing about the way it interrupts the lazy river is where you have to get out is an area where you really fight the current to get to the edge.

I will say the day we there was about as perfect a day as one would want to visit DC. There could not have been more than 300 people there that day. It was absolutely relaxing and very leisurely. Our previous visit which was late June in 2019, the place was at capacity.

we were there as well when aviary was closed - had no idea or would have likely postponed the trip by a few months. The reef was crowded most of the day and it was very unpleasant....people harassing the marine life, both kids and adults not watching where they were swimming...i was kicked and ran into too many times. We still had a very nice time overall, but not as good as in the past.

I hope it truly is only closed through January. We're going to be there Presidents' Day weekend.

We went during Thanksgiving and were SUPER bummed. I couldn't find it easily on the website. Really detracted from the day. :(

That is a huge bummer! We have nothing to compare it to, since this is our first visit. We'll go and make the best of it.

We were there Christmas Day and most of my group had never been there before so they had no idea what they were missing. I did of course and thought it was a bummer.

The river is now running the complete loop where you don’t have to get out. Avairy is still closed.

That's great! On Christmas Day you still had to get out and go around to the rest of the loop. I'm of course trying to picture how it's doing the complete loop with the aviary closed.

You could float through the aviary section but their were no birds in there. The top of the net was in place, but the sides were still wide open.

Well that is a change . When we booked , it said it was closed until late January . We booked for early Feb. because of that !
Dang it !
Same. Disappointing, but I guess we just have to feal with it since we can't switch out trips now:(

Last month I read in a trip report that the aviary is still closed, now because o avian flu. I checked the Aviary portion on the DC website and couldn‘t find anything about a current closure.

Has anyone been recently and knows if the aviary experience is open again? We‘re going next week and the aviary always is a highlight of the visit.

Last month I read in a trip report that the aviary is still closed, now because o avian flu. I checked the Aviary portion on the DC website and couldn‘t find anything about a current closure.

Has anyone been recently and knows if the aviary experience is open again? We‘re going next week and the aviary always is a highlight of the visit.

I read in a group on FB that it was open

Yes, someone also posted in another thread here that the aviary is accessible through the lazy river, but not through the „dry“ entrance. Probably to prevent potentially infected wild bird from getting into the aviary.

Yes, someone also posted in another thread here that the aviary is accessible through the lazy river, but not through the „dry“ entrance. Probably to prevent potentially infected wild bird from getting into the aviary.
Probably more to "wash" your feet so nothing is tracked in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter