Discovery Cove Add-Ons

Ak28

Earning My Ears
I am visiting Discovery Cove for the first time in March. I purchased the Dolphin Swim package but would like to purchase additional add on experiences like Seaventure or Animal Trek. Ideally both sound cool to add on but I also want time to enjoy the rest Discovery Cove. Would participating in two add on experiences and a dolphin swim leave enough time to enjoy all of Discovery Cove?

When I did DC in Sept, I did the flamingo mingle and Animal Trek in addition to the dolphin swim. I felt like I still had plenty of time for everything else

your question is kinda-sorta answered in the FAQ ......

What time should I arrive if I’m participating in multiple experiences?
If you’re participating in 3 or more add-on experiences during your visit to Discovery Cove, please plan to arrive by 7:30 a.m. for check-in and proper scheduling of your day. If you're participating in Ray Feeding and your visitation date is between March 12 and November 4, please plan to arrive by 7:00 a.m. If your visitation date is between November 5 and March 11, please plan to arrive by 7:30 a.m.

some events happen only once a day so scheduling is important ... early arrival means little is 'full'. And always keep in mind possibility of afternoon thunderstorms which are an "everybody out of the pool" event . . . so EARLY is best time . . .

Last edited:
I'd say it depends on how busy you enjoy being. You would have plenty to do (and some time to relax.....one of the benefits of a day at DC in the midst of themepark-centric vacation) with just the dolphin swim, BUT.....if you're a go-go-go type of person, then you could absolutely do an additional activity in addition to your time with the dolphins.

On a first visit, if I were you, I would take the additional $$$ you would spend on the 2nd activity and devote those funds to purchasing your dolphin swim photos......and leave yourself extra time to enjoy snorkeling in the Grand Reef, floating around the Wind Away River, feeding the birds in the Aviary (which I assume will be reopened by the time you visit) and soaking in the lounge chairs in the Freshwater Oasis with an adult beverage and a warm chocolate chip cookie (or two, or three.....). It's a luscious day when you can just kick back, soak up the sunshine, and savor the serenity.

That said, we LOVED both the Flamingo Mingle (which we did in September) and Seaventure (done earlier in 2021). Both were fabulous experiences and well worth the cost. I will note, though, that we did those add on experiences on visits when we didn't choose to do the dolphin swim. We don't tend to "overbook" our DC days so that we are 'forced' to dial down and enjoy the chance to mellow out for a day, especially when our other vacation days tend to be at a much busier pace in the theme parks.

I'm tagging on to this question. We are taking our first trip in March. I have two teens who don't want to get up super early, so I only booked the animal trek. We don't want to do dolphin swim (have done that before elsewhere). I'm considering adding Seaventure. Can't decide if I have booked too little? I guess I'm too used to Disney scheduling. But we really want this to be a relaxing day. Any advice

I'm tagging on to this question. We are taking our first trip in March. I have two teens who don't want to get up super early, so I only booked the animal trek. We don't want to do dolphin swim (have done that before elsewhere). I'm considering adding Seaventure. Can't decide if I have booked too little? I guess I'm too used to Disney scheduling. But we really want this to be a relaxing day. Any advice

There really isn't "too little" or "too much" in regards to DC. I know people who go there and don't do any extras, and think it's fine. So I think you would be fine with just Animal Trek, and you would be fine if you booked both

There is still a ton of time in the day even booking two add-ons. If we wanted to spend the extra money, I think it would have been very comfortable for our touring style to do three things.

Sea Venture is an awesome experience, and really doesn't take up that much time from your day (perhaps about an hour, including the pre-dive safety chat). As much as the dolphin swim is great, we enjoyed this even more.

Another experience we LOVED, as much or more than the dolphin swim, was the Flamingo Mingle. They don't have many spots available each day, so this is one you'd want to book sooner rather than later. We hand fed the flamingos on the beach, then spent some time with them in the water before parading with them back down the sand. Warning: they like to pull the sunglasses off your face LOL.

This is my favorite place! It's just so relaxing. I just went there a few months ago. It was cold, but still worth it. I just floated around. I cannot wait to go back!!!!!!! We have to go back when it is warm.I got my tickets on this site called Travelin' Coupons.

Another experience we LOVED, as much or more than the dolphin swim, was the Flamingo Mingle. They don't have many spots available each day, so this is one you'd want to book sooner rather than later. We hand fed the flamingos on the beach, then spent some time with them in the water before parading with them back down the sand. Warning: they like to pull the sunglasses off your face LOL.

View attachment 646401

View attachment 646396

View attachment 646397

View attachment 646398

View attachment 646399

View attachment 646400
When did you go with flamingos? We didn't see any!

When did you go with flamingos? We didn't see any!

This was September 2021. The Flamingo Mingle was an early day interaction, I believe our time was 8:30 am. They would have paraded them down the beach and back to their habitat around 9-ish. So if you want to see them without doing the interaction (which is an add-on cost), that would be the time to be in the beach area between the Grand Reef and the Laguna Grill.

Can you see the Flamingo habitat during the day? I've never seen it, but then I didn't know to look either.

Can you see the Flamingo habitat during the day? I've never seen it, but then I didn't know to look either.

Not as of last fall. Unless things have changed, their habitat is located behind the walls in areas only accessible to staff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter