Discounts... wahoo. A couple of questions.

CrusingFamily4

Mouseketeer
On Monday, does one call 407-560-2428 to adjust their reservations to hopefully reflect the new discounts?

Also, am I reading it correctly that if I am booked in a value hotel, and have the quick service dining... it works out to approx 50% off the dining portion? I am trying to determine how much it would cost per/day vs my out of pocket expenses if used the room only discount. (Per day if it is 50% off... Approx. $42 savings total for the 2 adults and $17 for the 2 kids- although how much of that are we going to actually utilize vs if we paid out of pocket). At approx. 15% room only discount...it looks like a total of $108 total savings for the room.

Thanks in advance!!

For dining, I like to have a budget that is big so I don't go over and get upset/worry about money on vacation. In the end, I'd rather come home "under budget!" That said, I think I'd budget the cost of the quick serve dining plan + look at WDW restaurant menus at whatever table service you are attending to get an idea of costs of those meals/add to your budget. Or, if you're eating at a table service every day, you might just budget the cost of the regular disney dining plan as your dining budget. I've figured up our dining totals at the end of each of our trips, and every time we spend a little less than what the regular dining plan would have cost, and we eat at one table service per day.

So to compare, I have the SPD total, and then I have the room only discount+cost of regular dining (even if I don't book the dining plan)+park tickets to get a "package" total. This is my attempt at comparing the apple to the orange!

Last edited:
Thanks! I have started to do this on an excel spreadsheet... just to get a rough idea :) We have table service for every meal but one thus far. (We will have just gotten off a disney cruise that day, and I'm thinking if it is like the last 4 cruises we have been on... we'll be sick of food!!)

I have an excel spreadsheet, too! I didn't bring up Excel because I know it scares some people. lol Not only is my spreadsheet between the two different discounts but also various hotels and views! I'm determined to get the best deal from our resort finalist list!

Look at you go!! My husband is an excel ninja, but so far has left the planning in my court. This is our first time staying on property and only our 2nd time going. Last time my twins were 3 (now 7) and we went with a large group and stayed off property. (This was before the fast pass plus too). It has been a huge learning curve!!

We are 3 Disney adults and one child in a mod with deluxe dining for 8 days and saved $600. It isn't 50% off dining. I wish it was

I did the math on my package. I believe I figured out the approximate discount (using excel; such a great software). It works out to within a few cents of my actual package when I take 5% off the room rate and 30% off the QSDP price. This is at ASMu with a family suite and a preferred room. I tried different combinations of discount percents on the room, dining, and tickets and that's what came out super close to my final price. That includes adding in the upgrade from QSDP to DDP with no discount on that upgrade.

I don't know how people are getting such large discounts.

As a visa card holder, I was able to call today and request the SDP discount. I have a six night stay at pop in January, with a six-day park ticket & the quick service dining plan. After the discount my total went from $2980 to $2890. I waited 20 minutes on hold to have them knock off $90. woopty doo. I asked if moving to an all star resort would save a lot more and she said it would knock $50 off. I kept pop.

I also asked if I could do port orleans at all and it was completely unavailable. The other moderates don't interest me much so I didn't ask about them.

After the packages become bookable on the website next week I will see if I can get any better deal. But as of right now I am pretty unimpressed.

We are staying 8 days. At POR with 3 Disney adults and 1 child. We are saving $629. My friend staying same room same place one less night and has 2 adults 2 kids is saving $409

As a visa card holder, I was able to call today and request the SDP discount. I have a six night stay at pop in January, with a six-day park ticket & the quick service dining plan. After the discount my total went from $2980 to $2890. I waited 20 minutes on hold to have them knock off $90. woopty doo. I asked if moving to an all star resort would save a lot more and she said it would knock $50 off. I kept pop.

I also asked if I could do port orleans at all and it was completely unavailable. The other moderates don't interest me much so I didn't ask about them.

After the packages become bookable on the website next week I will see if I can get any better deal. But as of right now I am pretty unimpressed.

Standard at POR isn't available but are the more expensive views available? I was reading something that the more Disney adults more days and more expensive room = bigger discount

How many adults and how many children in your party? Typically the SP&D savings is in the dining plan so the more people, the bigger the discount. My savings on the regular room is small but my savings on the family suite is more substantial since we have 4 Disney adults in the room. Still not a huge savings but it's better than nothing. With weekends being blacked out of the room only discount at values, trying a room discount on the regular room that has only 1 person didn't even come out as being as much of a discount at SP&D though it's not much even at that.

How many adults and how many children in your party? Typically the SP&D savings is in the dining plan so the more people, the bigger the discount. My savings on the regular room is small but my savings on the family suite is more substantial since we have 4 Disney adults in the room. Still not a huge savings but it's better than nothing. With weekends being blacked out of the room only discount at values, trying a room discount on the regular room that has only 1 person didn't even come out as being as much of a discount at SP&D though it's not much even at that.

We have two adults and two kids.

Do you know if they were keeping you in the same room category? From those details it sounds like maybe you went from standard view to a different view and that would offset your savings (that's happened to me many times)

If it helps anyone with calculations, we've got a POR Royal Room Garden View room for 10 nights with 9 day park hopper tickets and deluxe dining plan for 2 adults. Originally the total was 5721.92, but discounts have knocked it down to $5,315.96. I'd certainly love to hear some theories on it.

It's significantly less of a discount than it was in the past which is disappointing. I'm kicking around alternate plans to see what I can come up with now.

Do you know if they were keeping you in the same room category? From those details it sounds like maybe you went from standard view to a different view and that would offset your savings (that's happened to me many times)

Nope, still in standard view.

I really do think she made a mistake. She told me my initial reservation was $3149 which wasn't actually true (it was $2980). So she told me she was saving me almost $300 and it wasn't until after I hung up I realized that was wrong. Her numbers didn't match anything on my end. And when I logged onto MDE my total was only reduced by $90.

I can't do the full research until the website releases discounts Monday (see last year's results here http://www.disboards.com/threads/stay-play-dine-calculation.3339097/) HOWEVER...my rough calculation based on pricing out 4 different combinations at moderate resorts this evening has come to this:

40% OFF Dining
FULL PRICE Tickets
$13 OFF per Night

Again - I'm only seeing this for moderate resorts and the sample size is VERY small. Last year when doing the calculation I priced out 50 or more combinations of resorts, adult/kid mixes, ticket lengths, dates, etc.

If it helps anyone with calculations, we've got a POR Royal Room Garden View room for 10 nights with 9 day park hopper tickets and deluxe dining plan for 2 adults. Originally the total was 5721.92, but discounts have knocked it down to $5,315.96. I'd certainly love to hear some theories on it.

It's significantly less of a discount than it was in the past which is disappointing. I'm kicking around alternate plans to see what I can come up with now.

We are 3 Disney adults one child 8 days staying GV with deluxe dining it was $5889 now it's $5260 or something. Saving $629. We went from standard to garden view. So it offset our discount a bit. Hoping standard is discounted monday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter