Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

These are all so cute!! I especially LOVE the tinkerbell dress! Where did you get the pattern for it? And the fabric?

That dress looks like it was from the Simply Sweet by Scientific Seamstress. It's a great pattern for princess dresses, and her website gives tutorials for making it into princess - specific dresses.

So I made a Cinderella/Elsa inspired costume for DD last year that we took to WDW that used some fabric that had a glitter design all over it. Was a huge hit! Was so pretty and sparkly.

Allie asleep before CRT.jpg Allie White Dress 2013.jpg

DH was trying to be helpful and washed it in the machine and ALL the glitter came off. DD was totally bummed and the design is totally gone. So while at Michaels I came across a kit with fabric glue and glitter. I bought it with the hope of recreating at least some of the glitter design on the dress. Anyone ever tried anything like this? I'm afraid to spend all this time adding glitter back for it to just wash off again.

Thanks!!

So I took the half done skirt that I started and used my imagination and made a dress for DD for MNSSHP in September, it was the first dress I ever made and I think it turned out pretty good. She loves it which is all that matters :)

I am so happy to find this board! I have been sewing with my trusty Brother CS-8060 since teaching myself in 2004. I picked up a Viking-Husqvarna serger around 2008 and a Pfaff sewing/embroidery machine a couple of years ago. I haven't used the embroidery machine a whole lot, but I am slowly learning (I still prefer to sew on my Brother!)

I sewed mostly costumes until my daughter was born. Now I sew costumes and toddler clothes! I have only sewed a few Disney-themed things, but this thread has inspired me!

View attachment 79414
Here is the Birthday dress I made for one of my dayhome children. She was having a princess party.

The dress is gorgeous and the princess looks beautiful!

Ok so I am sure any of you guys can help me out, but I am new to sewing. I made my 10 year old daughter some skirts, one that was from a simplicity pattern and one that is from danamadeit (the simple skirt). Both turned out nicely in my opinion, not perfect but nice enough to where others won't notice my mistakes :). I started on a double skirt from danamadeit with a black bottom layer and a villans top layer (for MNSSHP) and have made it to the point of stitching the casing for the 1 1/2 inch elastic, but ran out of time over the weekend so I set it aside. Now is where the help from you guys comes in...after looking at your designs I was thinking I might want to be adventurous and turn it into a sun dress by adding a thick strip of fabric for the top and some straps however when I made the skirt I doubled the waist size so it would be full after I put in the elastic so I am not sure where to begin with sewing on the fabric strip...should I finish making a skirt and then just sew on the top part or is there a trick to doing this? My first instinct was to sew in the elastic a little looser than I would for a skirt and then sew on the top and take a strip of the bottom later fabric and create a tie that went around the waist to cover the elastic.

I would suggest gathering the skirt and sewing it to the top.

So I made a Cinderella/Elsa inspired costume for DD last year that we took to WDW that used some fabric that had a glitter design all over it. Was a huge hit! Was so pretty and sparkly.

View attachment 79876 View attachment 79877

DH was trying to be helpful and washed it in the machine and ALL the glitter came off. DD was totally bummed and the design is totally gone. So while at Michaels I came across a kit with fabric glue and glitter. I bought it with the hope of recreating at least some of the glitter design on the dress. Anyone ever tried anything like this? I'm afraid to spend all this time adding glitter back for it to just wash off again.

Thanks!!

I am sorry to hear about the glitter problem! I don't have experience with glitter but hopefully someone else can!

I am so happy to find this board! I have been sewing with my trusty Brother CS-8060 since teaching myself in 2004. I picked up a Viking-Husqvarna serger around 2008 and a Pfaff sewing/embroidery machine a couple of years ago. I haven't used the embroidery machine a whole lot, but I am slowly learning (I still prefer to sew on my Brother!)

I sewed mostly costumes until my daughter was born. Now I sew costumes and toddler clothes! I have only sewed a few Disney-themed things, but this thread has inspired me!

Welcome! I am still using my trusty CS8060 for most of my sewing. Looking forward to seeing your creations!

PurpleEars: Thank you! My CS 8060 is my 'old faithful' and I don't want to stop using it since it hs been so good to me! :)

Ok, here are a few Disney-themed things I have made for my daughter (and some of the last things I have sewed since moving last summer! My sewing room is still a mess, and now will be relocated to make into a nursery for my next daughter!)

Sofia-inspired dress for MNSSHP (2013) using the Geranium Dress pattern from Made By Rae. I also made DH's King Roland Jacket by modifying a simplicity pattern (I think a civil war reenactment coat?):
image.jpg
image_1.jpg

Alice-inspired dress for E's first birthday:
image_4.jpg

A reversible fleece/flannel coat for our last December trip from a pattern by Puperita. I used a cute Minnie Mouse flannel for the inside:
image_2.jpg
e583ebd4-105d-4530-8951-93ca031bc81a.jpg

We have a trip coming up in May, and I plan on sewing a few dresses for my daughter and my niece. Haven't decided on exactly what yet, but getting lots of great ideas here!

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Sofia-inspired dress for MNSSHP (2013) using the Geranium Dress pattern from Made By Rae. I also made DH's King Roland Jacket by modifying a simplicity pattern (I think a civil war reenactment coat?):
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This looks great! Awesome job!

Super cute Christine/Mrsgryphon! I love the one sock pictures, she looks so happy! Where did you find the Snow White fabric?

I started sewing for our upcoming trip in August. Here's one of the sundresses I have done for DD. She's been wearing it around the house a bit lately, ha ha. Grace Ruffle Dress pattern. More to come.

View attachment 1050

Love your Jessie inspired dress! I have been thinking of doing a sundress-style Jessie for my daughter and niece for our upcoming trip, and this is close to what I have been envisioning!

PurpleEars: Thank you! My CS 8060 is my 'old faithful' and I don't want to stop using it since it hs been so good to me! :)

Ok, here are a few Disney-themed things I have made for my daughter (and some of the last things I have sewed since moving last summer! My sewing room is still a mess, and now will be relocated to make into a nursery for my next daughter!)

Sofia-inspired dress for MNSSHP (2013) using the Geranium Dress pattern from Made By Rae. I also made DH's King Roland Jacket by modifying a simplicity pattern (I think a civil war reenactment coat?):
image.jpg
image_1.jpg

Alice-inspired dress for E's first birthday:
image_4.jpg

A reversible fleece/flannel coat for our last December trip from a pattern by Puperita. I used a cute Minnie Mouse flannel for the inside:
image_2.jpg
e583ebd4-105d-4530-8951-93ca031bc81a.jpg

We have a trip coming up in May, and I plan on sewing a few dresses for my daughter and my niece. Haven't decided on exactly what yet, but getting lots of great ideas here!

I have actually taken my CS 8060 apart and put it back together when it was skipping stitches. I am happy to report that it is still going strong 2 years after I did that repair!

Congrats on a second princess!

Your outfits are super cute. I have to say that I like the bunny one the best!

I haven't been doing much Disney sewing lately as we don't have a trip planned. I am just making "regular clothes" for DS right now (and trying to catch up on sleep whenever I can!)

I haven't been doing much Disney sewing lately as we don't have a trip planned. I am just making "regular clothes" for DS right now (and trying to catch up on sleep whenever I can!)

It's been a long time since I've come to this thread, but I saw you had posted so came for a look. Have I missed something? You have a DS? Congratulations. If you've posted about him before I'll have to go back and catchup. Exciting times -- sleep is highly overrated.

It's been a long time since I've come to this thread, but I saw you had posted so came for a look. Have I missed something? You have a DS? Congratulations. If you've posted about him before I'll have to go back and catchup. Exciting times -- sleep is highly overrated.

Hi Cheryl! :yay: I don't think I have posted here much since our last trip in Dec 2013. I am guilty of hanging out over on the "dark side" FB group instead. :) I don't think I have posted about DS here (mostly because I hardly come over here). Our little Mousekeeter was born in October 2014 and we figured we will be short on sleep until he turns 25! It's all good though.

How are your sons doing? Any more adventures into the movies business or trips to see your son with a stop at DL?

So I knew I shouldn't visit this page! It's been a real long time since I've been here. I haven't sewed anything Disney since I made surprise outfits for my DDs in 2010!!! So after going thru all the pages now I'm inspired. I'm taking my Girl Scout troop to Disney in October and the one dilemma we have is bags! They don't want backpacks or any drawstring over the shoulder type of bag and of course I want them to have something unique and special. Memories!!

I've found a few easy patterns on Pinterest, but I have to be honest 1- I want to make them all different Disney characters, 2 - I have NO time between running a camporee, a golf tournament, a sweet 16 birthday party and this Disney trip, 3 - I would have to foot the cost of these bags, and 4 - did I mention there's 9 scouts. God help me! I might just end up with Mickey and Minnie colors. We will see.

So I knew I shouldn't visit this page! It's been a real long time since I've been here. I haven't sewed anything Disney since I made surprise outfits for my DDs in 2010!!! So after going thru all the pages now I'm inspired. I'm taking my Girl Scout troop to Disney in October and the one dilemma we have is bags! They don't want backpacks or any drawstring over the shoulder type of bag and of course I want them to have something unique and special. Memories!!

I've found a few easy patterns on Pinterest, but I have to be honest 1- I want to make them all different Disney characters, 2 - I have NO time between running a camporee, a golf tournament, a sweet 16 birthday party and this Disney trip, 3 - I would have to foot the cost of these bags, and 4 - did I mention there's 9 scouts. God help me! I might just end up with Mickey and Minnie colors. We will see.

The good thing is that you have over 6 months to make the bags happen! I know you can do it!

Ok so bag update - 2 hrs later - so I found a super easy pattern, talked with my co leaders and we are going to have th scouts make the bags! I think I'm going to do Minnie fabric with batting lined straps. Great progression from the various sewing projects we've worked on thru the years. Plus how awesome for them to say they made their own bags for the trip! SO EXCITED! There's a few I expect to see projects on here some day, they love to sew!

Thank you to everyone here for inspiring me which leads to huge inspiration for my Girl Scouts!

Update on your bags when you are done! I really want a nice, small backback/bag for our next trip but don't want to pay $60 for one ;) I've been looking at patterns but it is just so hard to envision what the completed project will look like inside and out.

My sewing has been all non-Disney lately. Just a bunch of dresses for my daughters, some garment bags for my daughter's dance costumes, velvet lined headbands, and some doll clothes. I actually am looking for a pattern for some nice sundresses for ME at the moment. Easier said than done!

Ok so bag update - 2 hrs later - so I found a super easy pattern, talked with my co leaders and we are going to have th scouts make the bags! I think I'm going to do Minnie fabric with batting lined straps. Great progression from the various sewing projects we've worked on thru the years. Plus how awesome for them to say they made their own bags for the trip! SO EXCITED! There's a few I expect to see projects on here some day, they love to sew!

Thank you to everyone here for inspiring me which leads to huge inspiration for my Girl Scouts!

That's a great idea! I am sure the girls will love the bags and be proud of their handiwork!

Update on your bags when you are done! I really want a nice, small backback/bag for our next trip but don't want to pay $60 for one ;) I've been looking at patterns but it is just so hard to envision what the completed project will look like inside and out.

My sewing has been all non-Disney lately. Just a bunch of dresses for my daughters, some garment bags for my daughter's dance costumes, velvet lined headbands, and some doll clothes. I actually am looking for a pattern for some nice sundresses for ME at the moment. Easier said than done!

Depends on the type of bag you want, I found the Out and About zipper bag on YCMT easy to make. I have done a large Rosetta ruffle bag as my park bag.

Hi Cheryl! :yay: I don't think I have posted here much since our last trip in Dec 2013. I am guilty of hanging out over on the "dark side" FB group instead. :) I don't think I have posted about DS here (mostly because I hardly come over here). Our little Mousekeeter was born in October 2014 and we figured we will be short on sleep until he turns 25! It's all good though.

How are your sons doing? Any more adventures into the movies business or trips to see your son with a stop at DL?

Sons are great! Enjoy every minute! In a few years your husband will have to share his Legos. :)

I may be the last person on Earth not on FB. I know a lot of people have migrated there, but it's just not for me. I miss the fellowship we once had here, and I got soooo much inspiration (and spent soooo much money :rotfl2:.)

Your estimate of getting sleep when he hits 25 sounds about right. I remember thinking 25 would be a major milestone and now my older son is looking at 30 in a few months. Both boys live in Califronia, so I went to Disneyland last year. I hadn't been in 12 years so it was quite different.

Thanks for the update.

Sons are great! Enjoy every minute! In a few years your husband will have to share his Legos. :)

I may be the last person on Earth not on FB. I know a lot of people have migrated there, but it's just not for me. I miss the fellowship we once had here, and I got soooo much inspiration (and spent soooo much money :rotfl2:.)

Your estimate of getting sleep when he hits 25 sounds about right. I remember thinking 25 would be a major milestone and now my older son is looking at 30 in a few months. Both boys live in Califronia, so I went to Disneyland last year. I hadn't been in 12 years so it was quite different.

Thanks for the update.

At least the Lego stash is safe for now - we need to get past the "let's put everything in my mouth" stage first ;)

Yup we even managed to get Andrea onto the dark side. I understand it's not for everyone though. We are also doing Gives there now so a lot of people hardly come by here any more. Yes I totally hear you on the spending money part. The group is a magic black hole for money. :)

Glad that you visited DL. Cars Land was still under construction the last time we went. We will probably wait a few years before going to any Disney parks - we want to wait DS is tall enough to ride most things. The last thing I need is a Space Mountain meltdown!

Amusingly DS' nursery is not Disney themed. ;)

Love all the dresses, coat and shirts. I wish I had more time for sewing. I haven't done anything interesting. I keep getting things like pants to take up or a quick uniform skirt to do. Once I get my taxes done I should have time to do some fun sewing.

Almost exactly 5 years ago, my daughter was blessed with a MAW trip, and we were the oh, so blessed, recipients of a Big Give! We are all very excited to be going back to WDW in May! It won't be a MAW trip, but we will still treasure the Disney magic we all have such fond memories of. So, a couple of weeks ago, my girls pulled out the treasured box of customs that were given to us by the amazing Disboutiquers...and, many of them still fit our princess, Catherine! She's still a little peanut! Some of the things that she wore still fit, and she can wear a few of the things that were made for my older daughter. I will try to get her to put a couple of things on again soon and post some pics for you all to see. Maybe you will remember that you were part of our Big Give. It truly made our trip very magical! So thank you...those memories will never go away, and many of you played a part. We're thankful for every day god blesses us with. Catherine will never be "all better", but she lives each day with a full heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter