Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Ok, here is a picture of some of the towels. We've already given some away.

Here is one of the shirts for me. The other one is already put away and I was too lazy to go upstairs and get it :lmao: I had made one like this for my husband a couple of months ago and I really liked it.

http://s879.photobucket.com/user/dianemom2/media/P4300176_zpse693b35a.jpg.html

Here is one of the shirts for me. The other one is already put away and I was too lazy to go upstairs and get it :lmao: I had made one like this for my husband a couple of months ago and I really liked it.

http://s879.photobucket.com/user/dianemom2/media/P4300177_zps71ad83bd.jpg.html

I totally love the Owens, they are such a great idea.

Teresa - thanks for starting the new thread. This will be brief as I am using my phone on a moving bus.

That skirt is adorable, Teresa
I have a question to start out the new thread.
I used HeatherSue's bestest applique tutorial to do an applique on cotton.
Now I want to hand applique a basic Hidden Mickey type shape (made out of cotton quilt material) on a T-SHIRT.
What do I do differently, does anyone have a tutorial for that, and any tips or tricks for a first attempt at sewing on a t-shirt?

I would suggest using cutaway stabilizer and ball point needle for the applique. Otherwise it should be the same as working on cotton.

Great idea on the towels Diane. The shirt looks cute. I embroidered a shirt for myself the other say too. I will probably wear it to work tomorrow.

I love, love, love these towels! Hopefully by next spring my skills will be good enough that I can make something similar :goodvibes

Also, yay for part 30! Hopefully I will have more to contribute to this one :banana:

Viola in her Cinderelly dress last week at Magic Kingdom!

Viola in her Belle-inspired dress!

The most compliments I received from our visit was about the two costumes I made!! It just feeds my addiction for more Disney!!!

dianemom2 said:
http://s879.photobucket.com/user/dianemom2/media/P4300176_zpse693b35a.jpg.html

http://s879.photobucket.com/user/dianemom2/media/P4300177_zps71ad83bd.jpg.html

Great idea for the towels. And that shirt is very cute. How long does that design take to stitch out? Most appliques I choose take about 1-2 hours, but I can be perfectionistic.

MickeyforPresident......your dd is sooo cute. Love those outfits!!!

More photos... just because I love Disney World... and my daughter... (and Cinderella, of course). :lovestruc

Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging. And I always wanted to but was afraid. And unskilled on my serger. Now I am feeling a lot more confident on the serger so I tried it for these thing 1/thing 2 onesies I made for a baby shower (one of my twin mom friends' cousin is also having twins, it's an epidemic!).

And it was great. This design is huge and would have been such a pain the old way working inside-out.

So thank you to whomever suggested that 2-3 threads ago. :)

Also, I got a new desk for my embroidery machine today from freecycle that is the perfect size for the new machine. I had everything shoved on one desk, now I can use the serger, sewing machine and the embroidery machine without moving a bunch of stuff around. Now my dream is to get a larger cutting/work table. And, a bigger house, but both of those seem unlikely. Also I tried to multitask again and just decided it is not for me and I am going to get rid of the PE770. Love it, great machine, just too much margin for error when I am working on mostly shirts and onesies.

In honor of our 30th thread, I thought I would re-post the first outfit I posted on this thread back on June 21, 2007.
Little bitty Lydia in her My Little Pony skirt. She was only 4 years old.

th_PonySkirt028-1.jpg

th_DSCF0831.jpg
How sweet! Thanks for getting the new thread started.

Here! Currently on hold with DCL! UGH!

I used HeatherSue's bestest applique tutorial to do an applique on cotton.
Now I want to hand applique a basic Hidden Mickey type shape (made out of cotton quilt material) on a T-SHIRT.
What do I do differently, does anyone have a tutorial for that, and any tips or tricks for a first attempt at sewing on a t-shirt?
Some people like to use a ball point needle on t-shirts but otherwise the steps are the same.

I've been working on embroidering or appliqueing names onto beach towels to give as gifts. DD12 is invited to about 10 bar or bat mitzvahs this spring. So I decided that I would make beach towels to give as gifts. I have one more to make and then I am done! Of course, my kids have seen the towels and now they want them for themselves. Making the gifts has been a huge money saver. I found huge, thick beach towels at Tuesday Morning for $9.99 each. I will try and get a picture of some of the finished towels.

I've also been working on a ruffle butt romper for my niece and I made two embroidered shirts for Disney for me.
Great idea for gifts for Boys and girls. Loved the pictures of your Disney shirt too.

The most compliments I received from our visit was about the two costumes I made!! It just feeds my addiction for more Disney!!!
Oh my, I LOVE Viola in her pink Cinderella dress. What a cutie.

Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging. And I always wanted to but was afraid. And unskilled on my serger. Now I am feeling a lot more confident on the serger so I tried it for these thing 1/thing 2 onesies I made for a baby shower (one of my twin mom friends' cousin is also having twins, it's an epidemic!).

Also, I got a new desk for my embroidery machine today from freecycle that is the perfect size for the new machine. I had everything shoved on one desk, now I can use the serger, sewing machine and the embroidery machine without moving a bunch of stuff around. Now my dream is to get a larger cutting/work table. And, a bigger house, but both of those seem unlikely. Also I tried to multitask again and just decided it is not for me and I am going to get rid of the PE770. Love it, great machine, just too much margin for error when I am working on mostly shirts and onesies.
The onesies came out really good and they look like they were put back together perfectly. Great score on the desk.

Long ago someone suggested cutting the side of a onesie before applique then serging.
And it was great. This design is huge and would have been such a pain the old way working inside-out.

Double thank you to "whomever" Great idea!

Ok, gotta rant - :headache:
I took the day off of sewing to take my husband's car to get a tune-up and oil change (We're driving his car to Florida, and he wanted me to get it done so we wouldn't run out of time - What does he think, that I'm a procrastinator, oh, wait, I am) Anyhoo, I posted earlier how I can hear my Cinderella fabric calling my name. Well, now I'm stuck an hour from home in a hotel for the night (a treat in any other circumstance) because they didn't put any oil BACK in the car!!!! Hubby thinks they left the plug off, but the end result is the same. No sewing for me!
Actually, my mother's brand new Ellissimo is in the car; along with some cute red fabric with white polka dots that I couldn't resist today. If the dang thing wasn't so heavy, I'd go get it and spend my night having a ball. popcorn::

Checking in, it has been probably a year since I checked in. How is it possible that this is thread 30?!? I "met" you Teresa in 2007, 6 years now.

Alright TeresaJoy I make one crack about Mi and you try to ditch me?:sad1:

As if you could get rid of me that easy:beach:

LOL

I haven't checked in for a few weeks, come back to find a new thread and only on page 3. Not too shabby. I'll post some of my recent projects in the next few days.

I'm just learning to sew and I love this thread!

Welcome! I'm in CO too, in Littleon, not too many Coloradoans on here.

Love the towels. What a great idea! Love that shirt, I need to get that design sometime.

More photos... just because I love Disney World... and my daughter... (and Cinderella, of course). :lovestruc

Great job, she's such a cutie in those dresses!

So cute! I need to start thinking of baby stuff to make. I have a friend due in August.

Diane, I know what you mean about the kids wanting the towels you made...last year we gave my daughter (who was turning 12) a beach party for her birthday. As favors, I made plain white towels from Sam's club into 'beach' towels for all the guests...simple beachy applique and the child's name... I think I ended up with around 15... Found out later...some kids were requesting invitations just so they could get a towel!

I have been up all night...waiting for a call from the hospital. My oldest daughter is being induced. She has been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 weeks... they finally decided she was at a critical stage and decided to induce labor. If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving for the hospital in a few hours....and we should have a baby some time tonight.

I am my daughter's back up coach since my wonderful son in law is a bit squeamish and isn't sure he can make it the whole way! (he really is wonderful...we lucked out in the son in law department!) Thought about making something cute for the baby..but I promised myself I would wait to find out if we have an Alexander or an Amelia before I make anything else!

Nini

Those all look very nice.

Viola and her dresses are adorable!

Those are sooo cute. I will have to remember that idea if I applique onesies.

Diane, I know what you mean about the kids wanting the towels you made...last year we gave my daughter (who was turning 12) a beach party for her birthday. As favors, I made plain white towels from Sam's club into 'beach' towels for all the guests...simple beachy applique and the child's name... I think I ended up with around 15... Found out later...some kids were requesting invitations just so they could get a towel!

I have been up all night...waiting for a call from the hospital. My oldest daughter is being induced. She has been in and out of the hospital for the past 3 weeks... they finally decided she was at a critical stage and decided to induce labor. If all goes according to plan, I will be leaving for the hospital in a few hours....and we should have a baby some time tonight.

I am my daughter's back up coach since my wonderful son in law is a bit squeamish and isn't sure he can make it the whole way! (he really is wonderful...we lucked out in the son in law department!) Thought about making something cute for the baby..but I promised myself I would wait to find out if we have an Alexander or an Amelia before I make anything else!

Nini

Prayers for an easy delivery. And congratulations to you and your family.

Great idea on the towels Diane. The shirt looks cute. I embroidered a shirt for myself the other say too. I will probably wear it to work tomorrow.
I hardly ever make anything for myself so it was a fun treat to make. What did you put on your shirt?

I love, love, love these towels! Hopefully by next spring my skills will be good enough that I can make something similar :goodvibes
Towels really are pretty easy. You just need to use a topper when you embroider them. I use Sulky Solvy and it works great.

Adorable little girls and great dresses! I'm sure you must have received tons of compliments on them!

Great idea for the towels. And that shirt is very cute. How long does that design take to stitch out? Most appliques I choose take about 1-2 hours, but I can be perfectionistic.
That design stitched out pretty quickly. I did the 6x10 so it took a bit longer. It was about 1/2 an hour from start to finish, including hooping the shirt.

The onesies are adorable! And I always cut mine open when I embroider on them. I also cut open small t-shirts. It makes it so much easier.

Hooray for getting a free desk. It will be nice for you to have the sewing room set up in a way that makes you comfortable and it is easy to use.
I was wondering if you had sold the PE770 yet. I saw that you posted it on FB and tried to hook you up with someone who was interested. I only start multi-tasking when my embroidery machine is doing satin stitches on a design that I've stitched out before and know it works well.

Double thank you to "whomever" Great idea!

Ok, gotta rant - :headache:
I took the day off of sewing to take my husband's car to get a tune-up and oil change (We're driving his car to Florida, and he wanted me to get it done so we wouldn't run out of time - What does he think, that I'm a procrastinator, oh, wait, I am) Anyhoo, I posted earlier how I can hear my Cinderella fabric calling my name. Well, now I'm stuck an hour from home in a hotel for the night (a treat in any other circumstance) because they didn't put any oil BACK in the car!!!! Hubby thinks they left the plug off, but the end result is the same. No sewing for me!
Actually, my mother's brand new Ellissimo is in the car; along with some cute red fabric with white polka dots that I couldn't resist today. If the dang thing wasn't so heavy, I'd go get it and spend my night having a ball. popcorn::
Sorry, it is so frustrating to know that the machine is in the car but you can't use it. I hope that the car is ok and that they didn't do any permanent damage to it.

Nini
I remember the party and the towels. It was a Hawaiian themed party right? And at the last minute there were some food issues. The towels for that party were awesome. I hope that the kids I am giving these towels to like them as much as the ones who came to your daughter's birthday party.

I hope that your older daughter's induction goes smoothly and that the baby makes his or her appearance very quickly. Best wishes for a safe and speedy delivery for mom and baby. Make sure to stop by and tell us if it was Amanda or Alexander.

goteamwood said:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goteamwood/8696532143/
Those are very cute! Glad to hear putting them back together was easy.

NiniMorris said:
Diane, I know what you mean about the kids wanting the towels you made....

Nini

That towel story is cute. Hope your dd has an easy delivery. Can't wait to hear the official news!

Dianemom....thanks! That's very quick. I should try that one. I need to find a few quick ones, as I have a ton to do for our trip.

I miss this thread . . . but I haven't gotten to do any Disney sewing lately . . . I need to just come hang out over here so y'all can hold me accountable for the sewing I need to do (not Disney) - like the Bosco BowTie's I need to make!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter