Disboards app - popups and redirecting to gambling apps

ozliz

DIS Veteran
Hi, I have an iPhone 5 and mostly use the rather slow and irritating disboards app to follow the forums. Over the last few days I have been getting one of those spam popups which says my IP address has won something. The only way to make it go away is to hit OK but there is no other option anyway.

The other problem is that sometimes when waiting for a new part of the forum to load it redirect to the AppStore (closes diaboards) and tries to get me to purchase/download gambling and a range of other game type apps.

Anyone had any of these problems and know how to make it go away?

Yep and it just happened again while I was reading the response to my post. So annoying! I thought that apps were meant to avoid all the junk you get on a web browser.

Ugh, yes! This has been happening to me the past few days too. So annoying. That app needs some work!

Yes! Iphone 5 here and keep getting sent to the App Store to download something called Uber Technologies. Very annoying

I had also noticed some fairly inappropriate ad banners being displayed on the app for awhile - such as for dating websites, but those more extreme than your run of the mill Match dot com, for example. Not exactly family friendly!

ETA: I also recall a pop up saying I had won something (like the OP) on the iPad app.

Also keep getting redirected to the App Store in my IPhone - nothing more infuriating then reading a multi page thread and being forced to back out of an app you didn't open every 3 minutes. This is awful.

Here's how to fix it on iPhones:

Go to general settings, then go to restrictions. Turn "on" restrictions for all related to apps. On iPhone 5 there are three. It will make you set a passcode but you only have to type it in to go back in to change the restrictions settings.

You'll know you've fixed it when the app icon no longer shows up on your screen. You can get it back by changing restrictions settings.

Here's how to fix it on iPhones: Go to general settings, then go to restrictions. Turn "on" restrictions for all related to apps. On iPhone 5 there are three. It will make you set a passcode but you only have to type it in to go back in to change the restrictions settings. You'll know you've fixed it when the app icon no longer shows up on your screen. You can get it back by changing restrictions settings.

Thank you, trying it now!

On the Disboards app, The error message says The remote server sent an unknown response. This could be a result of the forum software plugin being outdated or having a conflict....?????

Tried uninstalling then re-installing but same thing...

ANYONE ELSE GETTING THIS MESSAGE...JUST HAPPENED!:confused3

TIA!:goodvibes

On the Disboards app, The error message says The remote server sent an unknown response. This could be a result of the forum software plugin being outdated or having a conflict....?????

Tried uninstalling then re-installing but same thing...

ANYONE ELSE GETTING THIS MESSAGE...JUST HAPPENED!:confused3

TIA!:goodvibes

I get that sometimes because the app hasn't been updated since 2012, I think. You'll continue to get it until the app is updated/fixed.

Here's how to fix it on iPhones:

Go to general settings, then go to restrictions. Turn "on" restrictions for all related to apps. On iPhone 5 there are three. It will make you set a passcode but you only have to type it in to go back in to change the restrictions settings.

You'll know you've fixed it when the app icon no longer shows up on your screen. You can get it back by changing restrictions settings.

That does not fix the problem - it hides it - I do not want to restrict my use of the app store - only stop the DISboards app from using it.

What's wrong with the fricken DISboards app? Has it been hacked? It is unusable in it's current state. Every time I view another thread it redirects to the app store. I have removed the app. Let me know when you fix it.

Martin

Deleting the app now because of this it's so frustrating it's made the app worthless in my opinion-I'll just check the website for thread updates until they fix the issue

Yes I agree, that solution does not work. For a whole day I had no pop-ups then it began happening again. This is not the only site this is happening on though. I looked it up by googling on the web and it's happening all over and has been for a couple years

Yes I agree, that solution does not work. For a whole day I had no pop-ups then it began happening again. This is not the only site this is happening on though. I looked it up by googling on the web and it's happening all over and has been for a couple years

I've been using the Dis app for about a year and haven't had any issues with hijacking until yesterday. I don't have a problem with other apps, either.

Sorry it doesn't work for you. It completely fixed the problem for me. It can't cause the App Store to pop up if it doesn't have access. Is it redirecting you someplace else?

This happened to me on other sites as well so I'm happy to "fix" the problem myself on my phone.

I actually undid the fix after about a week to test it and immediately started being redirected again.

I don't use my App Store that often and it's pretty easy to go in once a week for updates.

This work-around method is from the apple forums so it seems that it's been a problem for a lot of people on many websites. Again, sorry it didn't work for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter