Disappointment with Tokelau Longhouse

gdrj

Boardwalk owner since 1999
I recently stayed at Poly in the Tokelau Longhouse. Absolutely love the resort, the new pool, and the general vibe of the resort. That is why when we looked to add on we purchased our second contract at the Poly. Tokelau as many of you know was the last Longhouse to open, months after the first two.

I was so disappointed in the cleanliness of the building and the general upkeep. We had checked in on a Saturday so I gave it a few days (thinking Monday might have a full crew). I spoke to a mgr on Tuesday early AM and late Tuesday when not one of the issues had been remedied. While I received lip service of the importance nothing was done until Thursday after a few e-mails back and forth. While the issues by themselves were insignificant when you add them up it is something that truly is concerning. I did speak to DVC and sent photos to them; again they gave me the lip service, who knows if it will actually mean anything.

The issues included:

1-Hallway carpets not vacuumed.

2-Carpet stains from spills etc. (I would think spot treating them would be easy and extend carpet life)

3- Bedrails in hallway for days

4- Gum on tile in front of elevator

5-Chocolate on tile in front of elevator

6-Chocolate on elevator floor

7-Wallpaper in elevator in need of being re-glued

8-extensive wall damage by cleaning carts near where they store them

9-Food/stains on exterior of my room door

10- Garbage still in room when checked in

11- No plates or bowls in room (paper)

12- Stain of food near sliding door

13- Room had been cleaned but build up of dust bunnies along wall in room along wood floor area

14- Stained DVC mat at entrance. Even something as simple as having it straight at the entrance

15- Outdoor stairs stain worn off and cobwebs all over stairs

16- Gum or candy wrappers under furniture in Longhouse Lobby.

17- To get to my room I had to weave around cleaning carts, bags of garbage and clean and dirty linens, say excuse me to housekeeping staff to get by. No standards at all.

Finally on Wednesday I saw a housekeeping supervisor near the elevators as I was headed out. He had a spray bottle and a broom. He sprayed a small spot and used a broom to scrub a small tile area, the gum and candy 2 feet away was still there when he finished! I find it amazing that a guest can see this and the culture at Disney has changed SO MUCH that for days cast members walk by and do nothing. It is obvious that the mgt team does not walk the building nor does DVC mgt. It truly was frustrating to know that I cared more about the upkeep of the building than anyone on payroll.

gdrj, you are looking too close, put the pixie dust back in your eyes! pixiedust:

Disney isn't perfect and you can find issues at all of the resorts. Some resort managers seem to do a better job more than others but Disney tends to rotate the managers after a few years.

I know that the current GM at the Poly was the GM for the Poly and GF. Now that he only has the Poly, you would think that the issues could be better addressed. Make sure that your findings gets forwarded to him.

:earsboy: Bill

FWIW...6 years ago we stayed at Grand Californian, and there was a fork in the middle of the hallway for 2 days. Next time we walked by it was gone! And then we saw that it had bee moved to a random table along the hallway. It never went away during our stay (4 nights?).

I know that Anaheim isn't Orlando, but housekeeping isn't always great.

We stayed in Tokeleau in October and also noticed a few trays in the hall, but thankfully that was our only "issues". We literally took the elevator only twice, once on way up to studio and once leaving. I had read other posts that elevator had wear and tear and we did notice that also. We are returning back to the Poly again this May, LOVED the resort and had a great experience in Tokeleau! NO EXCUSES though for sloppy housekeeping:scared1:, agreed trays should be picked up in halls!:eek: Simple cleanliness should be followed by guests as well. If you see that your tray is not picked up in a timely manner,
call housekeeping or the front desk and request it.::yes::

We stayed in Tokeleau in October and also noticed a few trays in the hall, but thankfully that was our only "issues". We literally took the elevator only twice, once on way up to studio and once leaving. I had read other posts that elevator had wear and tear and we did notice that also. We are returning back to the Poly again this May, LOVED the resort and had a great experience in Tokeleau! NO EXCUSES though for sloppy housekeeping:scared1:, agreed trays should be picked up in halls!:eek: Simple cleanliness should be followed by guests as well. If you see that your tray is not picked up in a timely manner,
call housekeeping or the front desk and request it.::yes::

I too love the resort. I hope your trip is excellent. If you see things that need to be corrected PLEASE let DVC and resort mgt know. Thanks !

I too love the resort. I hope your trip is excellent. If you see things that need to be corrected PLEASE let DVC and resort mgt know. Thanks !
Thanks:goodvibes, any major issues would be reported to the resort and DVC as both need to be informed and any corrective action taken!::yes::

Gosh but I hate reading about these problems. We won't be staying at Poly because we don't book studios but it is still covering to me that it took so many attempts before any of the issues were addressed. DVC is sold as a premium product and that doesn't sound like premium to me.

Last edited:
Gosh but I hate reading about these problems. We won't be staying at Poly because we don't book studios but it is still covering to me that it took so many attempts before any of the issues were addressed. DVC is sold as a premium product and that doesn't dound like premium to me.

It isn't a premium product and DVC has little pull at the resorts.

In my years of DVC membership I have seen and heard some pretty scary housekeeping stories. The ones I hear the worst stories about are BWV and BLT. I know a bad day for one housekeeper (that's not an excuse) can certainly have impact on whatever guest follows them. And even in the best hotels there can be incidents. They just should be far and few between IMHO.

I have had very good luck with the quality of Housekeeping at OKW and Aulani, which is where I have stayed for the most part the last few years. I did a GV stay at Kidani a couple of years ago and was pleased.

As for trays in the hallway, just like with DCL, PLEASE, PLEASE call room service (if that's what the trays are from especially) and let them know you have finished and placed your tray outside your door. I'm not entirely sure why housekeeping doesn't seem to deal with this type of thing.

And gdrj, good for you for doing the right thing and reporting those issues while you were still there. This SHOULD have the greatest impact. I always hate it when you hear someone griping, even if fully justified, and you find out they never let anyone know where the issue(s) could have at least had the chance of being remedied. I am disappointed gdrj to hear that you got little to nothing after your report to get things TCO. I agree that I would notify Member Satisfaction on that list. That is WAY too many things to be missing. Not good.

It isn't a premium product and DVC has little pull at the resorts.

But why doesn't DVC have any pull with the resorts? DVC members pay a large share of the expenses for each of the connecting resorts especially since many of the expenses are based on occupancy. Those resorts are just a dependent on DVC money as DVC is dependent on the cash resorts amenities.

But why doesn't DVC have any pull with the resorts? DVC members pay a large share of the expenses for each of the connecting resorts especially since many of the expenses are based on occupancy. Those resorts are just a dependent on DVC money as DVC is dependent on the cash resorts amenities.

May be dependent but the income is guaranteed even if the level of service is low. My reality struck when a DVC member satisfaction CM told me that they could call the resort about a room issue that we recently had but that I would probably get better results if I contacted the resort myself.

Different departments/business units with different agendas.

DVC is unlikely to suddenly change something that the Poly is notorious for. Poly's housekeeping is not, well, where the best of their staff get assigned.

Room service dishes in hallways, dust bunnies and stains are common in the daily-housekeeping longhouses.

DVC and the resorts that have been added on are kinda like marrying an heiress just for her money.

Many times staff is abused by DVC members, I have seen it in person and they just get where they don't care. Even management. Sadly a good many of our members are not very nice and for lack of a better word, slobs. They definitely do not seem to know how to clean up behind themselves.

Also with DVC rooms not getting cleaned daily and then members stalking the desk wanting in their rooms before check in time, it creates issues.

Did you write DVC member satisfaction dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com? I can't believe they ignored all your requests. I wouldn't want to let it go. We play for clean and well maintained resorts and they should do it.

My initial requests were in person at Resort and email to Front Desk Mgr with photos of issues. I followed up with mgr and copied WDW guest relations and DVC. While I did speak to DVC once I was home, and they sounded concerned, it is hard to say that anything will change. If the culture at the resort is to overlook obvious things, unless a lot of people complain to DVC, I'm not sure much will change.

DVC and the resorts that have been added on are kinda like marrying an heiress just for her money.

Many times staff is abused by DVC members, I have seen it in person and they just get where they don't care. Even management. Sadly a good many of our members are not very nice and for lack of a better word, slobs. They definitely do not seem to know how to clean up behind themselves.

Also with DVC rooms not getting cleaned daily and then members stalking the desk wanting in their rooms before check in time, it creates issues.

While some members may be slobs as you say, it has nothing to do with hall and building maintenance which were most of the issues that needed to be addressed. These are issues that that 5 or 10 or more staff members walk by and ignore. IMO the issue is reduce costs while still receiving DVC funds. We have all seen or heard of cutbacks while at the same time WDW appears to be trying to find any and everyway to increase revenue. I think Resort Mgt has a short-term look at how it cares for the resort and is looking at financial goals on a monthly or qtrly basis no matter the impact on guest experience. There obviously needs to be a balance in guest experience and costs/budgets, I think they have swung the pendulum to far in one direction. Another thing to me that was telling was that at most other resorts we have stayed at the housekeeping staff (almost to a fault) stop what they are doing or slide to the side when guests are coming through. At the Poly it was almost the reverse where I had to say excuse me so I could pass through. I am attaching a blurry picture of the carts and laundry in the hall.

Attachments

• 20160319_142116_resized (2).jpg
    20160319_142116_resized (2).jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 68
We stayed in Pago Pago back in January and noticed a few items:
- Similar "cleaning" - there was visible dirt/grime on the tile in the entry way to the room
- Doors didn't seem to be locking at night (exterior sliding doors)
- Birds love to perch at the 3rd floor doors and the bird poop build up was almost prize worthy

Didn't think much of it, but it's not just Tokelau.

We stayed in pago pago last october and the stains in the hallway carpets were gross. Never seen anything like it in any other hotel I have stayed, DVC or other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter