• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointing service Steakhouse71

If you try booking two tables of 4 at or close to the same time, ADR systems cancel one of the reservations.
You need to have different leads on the reservations and then you can book 2 near to the same time. In other words, you can't make 2 reservations with your MDE account, but you could make 1 and somebody else in your party can make 1. Before the redesign of dining you could actually change the lead to somebody else in your MDE when making the first reservation and then could make the second yourself, but now you need 2 different accounts to do it.

My husband and I dined at Steakhouse 71 two weeks ago. The backstory: I'd sprained my left ankle a few days before; I had a brace and ibuprofen and didn't need a scooter/wheelchair but I wasn't 100%. The night before we were out late as we went to the opening of Jollywood Nights and had our worst time ever while on a Disney vacation (we are usually pretty go with the flow and can have fun anywhere, but that event really tried our patience). We got up early that morning for the Keys to the Kingdom tour - absolutely amazing - but that was five hours of walking and my ankle started to protest. We then went to Trader Sam's Terrace at the Poly - it was a three hour wait for the Grotto but we've been to Disneyland's Trader Sam's many times so we were fine with outdoors - but our server made it clear unless we kept the drink orders consistently coming we weren't very welcome. So we ordered multiple rounds but we also got the message and went back to the Contemporary, where we were staying, as soon we gulped everything down. By the time our stomachs told us it was time for dinner, we were feeling out of sorts and disgruntled with everything Disney. Our friend decided to grab dinner on his own at the Contempo Cafe, but my husband - until recently a vegetarian who added poultry and fish to his diet just before the trip and a picky eater - was craving something, anything green and nicely prepared to eat. Like the side dishes at Steakhouse 71.

There were no ADRs available, but we went downstairs anyway. I thought perhaps the lounge would be able to serve us off the restaurant menu, but that was a no go. However, the hostess at the check-in desk was incredibly wonderful and she found us a table, knowing he just wanted to order side dishes. As soon as our server learned we weren't drinking alcohol (sorry, Trader Sam's got our cocktail dollars) and we weren't ordering steaks - a smallish check, in other words - the service turned icy. Now I'm wondering if it's the same server! Acting as if he didn't want to be there absolutely describes him. Still, the food nailed what we were craving. We got the brioche bread, my husband had his broccolini and asparagus and I had the Vegetable Wellington which was delicious and filling. We tipped lavishly despite the ice and wrote a note on the check, thanking the restaurant for accomodating us, and left a cast compliment for the hostess on the app.

And that night turned our trip around. We had an absolute blast the rest of our vacation (we still had a week left) and that was the last time we grumbled on the trip, whether at Disney or at each other. So Steakhouse 71 has a fond place in my heart now.
Similar to my experience on my birthday last year at Shula's. Party of 1 at a table in a section where the server's other tables were 4-12 people. I got horrible service and rushed out there like nobody's business. Oh well. CA Grill the night before was the exact opposite and I had a server who treated me like I was his only table of the evening.

You need to have different leads on the reservations and then you can book 2 near to the same time. In other words, you can't make 2 reservations with your MDE account, but you could make 1 and somebody else in your party can make 1. Before the redesign of dining you could actually change the lead to somebody else in your MDE when making the first reservation and then could make the second yourself, but now you need 2 different accounts to do it.
I’m aware, however, if they can’t seat your next to the rest of your party, what’s the point !

I’m aware, however, if they can’t seat your next to the rest of your party, what’s the point !
I quoted the part about your complaint that one reservation would be cancelled if you booked the other. I was not referencing the rest of your post, that is why it was not quoted.

It really was starting to sound like SH71 has one or maybe two bad servers….some people have had really great experiences there, well others have had good food but bad service … however, if you had both bad service and bad food, the problem might be at the managerial level…

Either way most people have reported bad service from a male server …. Maybe he can be found and removed ?

With any luck someone in senior management trolls the tread and can ascertain what or who the problem is and correct or remove them…
We have been two 71 three times. Once in the lounge and twice in dining room. All of our experiences have been great. Food and service, both.

We had lunch at Steakhouse 71 last Friday, 2 Adults. We had excellent service and the food was good as always.

We have been two 71 three times. Once in the lounge and twice in dining room. All of our experiences have been great. Food and service, both.
Yes, seems to be really server related.
My mother and two of my sons had a great meal and great service the a few weeks ago…

There server was a female, the big service her was reported as having come from a male.

We had a similar experience at Steakhouse 71. It was the least friendly and most unwelcoming atmosphere I've ever encountered at Disney (or any restaurant, for that matter). Our server seemed angry throughout our meal, talked at us either looking at the ground or over our heads, and generally made us super uncomfortable every time he approached the table. He was like this at every table, and we saw a few other guests exchanging glances after he'd taken orders. I put it down to an off night at SH71 as many of the Cast Members walking around seemed stressed and unhappy.

Our meal overall was pretty awful and I was so disappointed after being so excited to try this restaurant.
I would bet we had the same server. I should of talked to a manager, but it was my Mom's 90th birthday and I didn't want to stir anything up. If we ever go back to Steakhouse71, I will request not to have that jerk. Still irritates me how darn awful he was!

I would bet we had the same server. I should of talked to a manager, but it was my Mom's 90th birthday and I didn't want to stir anything up. If we ever go back to Steakhouse71, I will request not to have that jerk. Still irritates me how darn awful he was!
That was the same reason we didn't say anything - it was a birthday celebration dinner for us too and overall by the end of the meal we just wanted out of there as quickly as possible. In hindsight, I wish I'd brought it to someone's attention but I didn't want to spend any of my birthday complaining.

Sorry about your Steakhouse 71 expensive. We have been several times since it reopened, usually a party of 2. We’ve always had great service. It’s our favorite lunch on property. I‘m surprise you were able to make an ADR for 8 tho. There are usually comments that people can’t book for more than 7. I absolutely agree with you about the Boathouse, always amazing food & service.
I am a CM at Steakhouse and you cannot book for 8. They probably added one guest at check in, or combined a party, in which case you will sometimes get offered the option to sit together at a table that is truly made for only 7. I give that option OFTEN to combined parties and warn them ahead of time that with 8, it will be cozy. Most people still want to sit together despite that, which is why the posters above will see people cramped into booths as it is their choice to do so.

We do this as a courtesy to make the guest happy. We won't give a table with less space than you booked for. As far as the waiter, I'm so sorry to hear the OP had a bad experience and that part is out of my control. Just wanting to explain the seating situation.

I have never had any complaints regarding these guys. Hearing about your disappointing experience is quite disheartening. Good service is a must in dining establishments. On a positive note, kobe steakhouse customer service has always been exceptional in my experiences. They consistently deliver not only great food but also a welcoming and attentive service, setting a high standard for others in the industry. It's important for restaurants to realize the impact of service quality on the dining experience.

Last edited:
I am a CM at Steakhouse and you cannot book for 8. They probably added one guest at check in, or combined a party, in which case you will sometimes get offered the option to sit together at a table that is truly made for only 7. I give that option OFTEN to combined parties and warn them ahead of time that with 8, it will be cozy. Most people still want to sit together despite that, which is why the posters above will see people cramped into booths as it is their choice to do so.

We do this as a courtesy to make the guest happy. We won't give a table with less space than you booked for. As far as the waiter, I'm so sorry to hear the OP had a bad experience and that part is out of my control. Just wanting to explain the seating situation.
Hoping to book a lunch reservation for 8 at Steakhouse 71 very soon for our stay in March. We are staying at BLT and are planning a resort day. We love the food and have dined as a party of two frequently both in the dining room and lounge. No complaints about service so far :upsidedow Do you recommend that I book two reservations for 4 ppl or one reservation for 7 ppl and ask to add a guest at check in? 6 adults, 2 kids aged five and seven. Not sure what is easier to accommodate on the restaurant's end?

Hoping to book a lunch reservation for 8 at Steakhouse 71 very soon for our stay in March. We are staying at BLT and are planning a resort day. We love the food and have dined as a party of two frequently both in the dining room and lounge. No complaints about service so far :upsidedow Do you recommend that I book two reservations for 4 ppl or one reservation for 7 ppl and ask to add a guest at check in? 6 adults, 2 kids aged five and seven. Not sure what is easier to accommodate on the restaurant's end?
I HIGHLY recommend one ressie for 7 and add one at check in. That will pretty much guarantee you all sit together vs. two tables. I did that about 5 times for different guests today. Like I mentioned above, might have to get a little cozy but it's do able!

I HIGHLY recommend one ressie for 7 and add one at check in. That will pretty much guarantee you all sit together vs. two tables. I did that about 5 times for different guests today. Like I mentioned above, might have to get a little cozy but it's do able!
Great, thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter