Disappointing Adult Cruise On The Dream

I’m not asking for truffles and tea time here, just basic stuff!
The point some PPs are making is that "basic" is still subjective. For example, you consider a buffet to be one of the basic requirements of cruising. Not everyone feels the same way. There's no right or wrong -- you like what you like, I like what I like, someone else has entirely different preferences as well. DCL may not be right for you, but it doesn't make it a bad product for someone else.

Your first post was a great summary of what you experienced, and many agreed with points you made. However so much of your follow-up commentary has been projecting your own preferences into deeming DCL inferior. That is entirely subjective.

Not sure I agree with you. We thought it was a little odd that after prepaying our gratuities, we still received little pre addressed envelopes in our state room, with little green slips of paper for each separate person we were supposed to tip, with the amount the crew member would be receiving pre printed on each one. We were told that it wasn’t required, but if we wanted we could put each one of the slips into the corresponding envelope, and then give that to the people getting tipped. Huh? We also thought that might be somewhat insulting to the crew members getting tipped, because it also communicates that we decided not to give them any extra.

Isn’t that a little weird? Why all the extra work if you’ve paid the gratuities in advance to avoid additional expenses on the cruise? I think this can be interpreted two ways. First, they were making it easier to provide an envelope to tip extra cash even if you had prepaid the gratuities. Second, it could also have been a subtle reminder (mild pressure?) that even if you prepaid the gratuities, you should consider giving even more.

This is certainly a different way of doing things that I can’t remember ever encountering on other cruise lines.
Bingo!

Not sure I agree with you. We thought it was a little odd that after prepaying our gratuities, we still received little pre addressed envelopes in our state room, with little green slips of paper for each separate person we were supposed to tip, with the amount the crew member would be receiving pre printed on each one. We were told that it wasn’t required, but if we wanted we could put each one of the slips into the corresponding envelope, and then give that to the people getting tipped. Huh? We also thought that might be somewhat insulting to the crew members getting tipped, because it also communicates that we decided not to give them any extra.
The envelopes have been in place since the days before the auto-gratuity was in place. Some folks preferred to use cash (some still do and cancel the auto-gratuity), others pre-paid the recommended but would add cash (some still do). The little slip is just for the CM's personal accounting -- so they can reconcile what they expect as tips to what actually gets deposited to their account; probably more of a formality and I honestly don't know if the CMs take the time to do that anymore now that the vast majority of tips are electronic.

I don't think anyone should read any more into the tip envelope and what it "communicates" to the CM. While tips are auto-charged now, the guest still has full ability to remove any/all tips, add to those tips electronically or by cash. So simply using the envelope has no message in and of itself. The amount in my envelope given to the same server may be different than the amount in your envelope, even if both of us only put the little slip inside.

Isn’t that a little weird? Why all the extra work if you’ve paid the gratuities in advance to avoid additional expenses on the cruise? I think this can be interpreted two ways. First, they were making it easier to provide an envelope to tip extra cash even if you had prepaid the gratuities. Second, it could also have been a subtle reminder (mild pressure?) that even if you prepaid the gratuities, you should consider giving even more.

This is certainly a different way of doing things that I can’t remember ever encountering on other cruise lines.
I think it’s a historical leftover for when the gratuities were not automatically charged and you actually had to either put money into the envelope or have them added to your onboard account.

At some point (I think about 10 years ago) they went to the automatic charge to onboard account. But people loved the tip envelops, so they kept them. Even if you would add extra gratuity by charging to your account you would still only have the paper slip in your envelope.

It’s interesting that Disney is adamant to abolish paper onboard when it comes to the Navigators but this useless practice is still ongoing.

I never thought that this could be seen as a way to ask for additional gratuity. But I can see that it could be understood that way.

The point some PPs are making is that "basic" is still subjective. For example, you consider a buffet to be one of the basic requirements of cruising. Not everyone feels the same way. There's no right or wrong -- you like what you like, I like what I like, someone else has entirely different preferences as well. DCL may not be right for you, but it doesn't make it a bad product for someone else.

Your first post was a great summary of what you experienced, and many agreed with points you made. However so much of your follow-up commentary has been projecting your own preferences into deeming DCL inferior. That is entirely subjective.
I think you’re right, and thanks for the reminder. But I think there were issues with the cruise that have nothing to do with a subjective interpretation of basic, which is admittedly a fair criticism on many points.

The envelopes have been in place since the days before the auto-gratuity was in place. Some folks preferred to use cash (some still do and cancel the auto-gratuity), others pre-paid the recommended but would add cash (some still do). The little slip is just for the CM's personal accounting -- so they can reconcile what they expect as tips to what actually gets deposited to their account; probably more of a formality and I honestly don't know if the CMs take the time to do that anymore now that the vast majority of tips are electronic.

I don't think anyone should read any more into the tip envelope and what it "communicates" to the CM. While tips are auto-charged now, the guest still has full ability to remove any/all tips, add to those tips electronically or by cash. So simply using the envelope has no message in and of itself. The amount in my envelope given to the same server may be different than the amount in your envelope, even if both of us only put the little slip inside.
But seeing those envelopes did make me think, “am I supposed to put extra money in those?” Couldn’t DCL just as easily provide the cast members a more thorough accounting of the prepaid gratuities they received, in a manner more efficient than having their employees collect what must be a ton of little pieces of green paper? As a matter of fact, since handing out the green papers isn’t mandatory, DCL must supply them the accounting anyway.

It’s obviously not a huge deal, but it just seems so decidedly old school from a company known for its embrace of new technology.

We are much like you (more Disney people than cruise people) and this is why I am nervous about going on other cruises!

From what I've gathered, it sounds like the OP was expecting more relaxation/down time. That's exactly the reason I'm worried about going on some of the other cruise lines. I've watched videos of people on some of the others and it looks like sea days are either reading, board games, pool, drinking with maybe some evening entertainment. I mean, those are fine... but I can do that at home so when I'm at WDW or DCL, I prefer to do things that are different.

We currently have both DCL and Princess scheduled for Alaska next summer. I'm leaning toward Princess due to cost and Glacier Bay and also knowing that we'll need to just understand that we might be a little bored those days. (And yes, I know there are some offerings like trivia on other cruise lines.)
I've posted this opinion before but we really wish we could go back in time and switch from Princess to Disney for our alaska cruise. We were really shocked by how few activities were available that weren't weird alternative medicine sales pitches or shopping events. It meant that on the rare occasion they did have trivia or karaoke or bingo, we had to get there 45 minutes early to get a table and it was so crowded people were sitting on the floor. Not to say that popular activities on DCL don't get crowded too, but on Princess it every single one because they only had a handful of "real" activities per day.
And, just for grins, a fun pic of youngest DD and DWifey with our dining crew at Lumiere’s on the Magic below…!!!!! 🤣

View attachment 857746
We once had those servers too and they were incredible! That said, we have also had had some servers who were just okay. There's a variety of levels of experience. We enjoy it when we get a great server, but it definitely doesn't make or break the cruise for us.

And I don't hate them for their "excellent" speech--I'm surprised that's the first time you encountered that sort of thing! In fact, literally today my pest control person came to the door and told me that I would be getting a survey and just so I know, a rating of 9 or 10 is acceptable, but anything else is not considered acceptable for them. I told him I completely understand and would off course rate him a 10. It's silly of course but not his fault--but that's how corporate America works! They have surveys at the end of every customer service call or chat.

No other specialty restaurants, so you’re forced to eat what they literally throw at you in the main dining rooms.
I guarantee nobody literally threw food at you.

Yeah, in retrospect we definitely should have checked the app for cabanas. But the day before, the cruise director gave a long speech over the PA system explaining how everyone who wants breakfast should take all of their luggage out of the cabin, take their bags down to the dining room they visited the night before, and have breakfast there, at specific times depending on whether they had early or late seating.

The speech was not short, and very thorough. Since he didn’t mention cabanas, unlike the disembark instructions on other cruises, I never thought to check the app. I guess that’s a first timer’s mistake, but in my opinion it really should have been mentioned as an option.
You do realize if they told everyone Cabanas was available, people with early dining would sleep in or take their time leaving the room (nobody really wants to be sitting down to breakfast at 6:45am) and disembark along with everyone else later in the morning, and it would be even more hectic getting off the ship? One thing I will say is they do tell people about cabanas if they need it--on our second cruise, the last night when our servers were telling us about breakfast we told them we wouldn't be there for breakfast because we had arranged to have a car waiting and they told us about cabanas then. That's what it's there for--for people who can't make the regular breakfast time.

I totally get that disembarkation day is stressful. But judging a cruise by it doesn't seem particularly fair--it's never a fun part of any cruise; hence why pretty much any concierge/club level has priority embarkation and disembarkation as a special perk.

I'll share a little memory that popped into my head as I was re-reading this. I remember that one time as we were disembarking the Wish, there was a cast member directing the flow of guest traffic into an orderly line, but there was one gentleman who wasn't happy about the wait to get off and was yelling and cursing at the staff member and trying to force his way past them to cut the line. The guest eventually withdrew, but the poor cast member looked so deflated after that interaction. I left my husband in line and took a moment to walk over and tell that cast member I thought he was doing an amazing job even though it must be so difficult and wasn't right of that guest to talk to him like that, and that I just wanted him to know that we appreciated him. He brightened up immediately. I thought about that as I was rereading his point, because even though you said you were 100% polite and not angry (though at the same time it seems like you were pretty upset and frustrated during disembarkation--so perhaps your tone wasn't quite as civil as you recall), I think perhaps that cast member was on their last nerve after having experienced one or more unpleasant interactions and couldn't help be exasperated when one more guest seemed to be complaining. And while I don't think the cast member should have snapped at you, I can certainly understand it and have compassion. Who among us hasn't had a bad day at work and been a little salty about it?

I've posted this opinion before but we really wish we could go back in time and switch from Princess to Disney for our alaska cruise. We were really shocked by how few activities were available that weren't weird alternative medicine sales pitches or shopping events. It meant that on the rare occasion they did have trivia or karaoke or bingo, we had to get there 45 minutes early to get a table and it was so crowded people were sitting on the floor. Not to say that popular activities on DCL don't get crowded too, but on Princess it every single one because they only had a handful of "real" activities per day.

We once had those servers too and they were incredible! That said, we have also had had some servers who were just okay. There's a variety of levels of experience. We enjoy it when we get a great server, but it definitely doesn't make or break the cruise for us.

And I don't hate them for their "excellent" speech--I'm surprised that's the first time you encountered that sort of thing! In fact, literally today my pest control person came to the door and told me that I would be getting a survey and just so I know, a rating of 9 or 10 is acceptable, but anything else is not considered acceptable for them. I told him I completely understand and would off course rate him a 10. It's silly of course but not his fault--but that's how corporate America works! They have surveys at the end of every customer service call or chat.

I guarantee nobody literally threw food at you.

You do realize if they told everyone Cabanas was available, people with early dining would sleep in or take their time leaving the room (nobody really wants to be sitting down to breakfast at 6:45am) and disembark along with everyone else later in the morning, and it would be even more hectic getting off the ship? One thing I will say is they do tell people about cabanas if they need it--on our second cruise, the last night when our servers were telling us about breakfast we told them we wouldn't be there for breakfast because we had arranged to have a car waiting and they told us about cabanas then. That's what it's there for--for people who can't make the regular breakfast time.

I totally get that disembarkation day is stressful. But judging a cruise by it doesn't seem particularly fair--it's never a fun part of any cruise; hence why pretty much any concierge/club level has priority embarkation and disembarkation as a special perk.

I'll share a little memory that popped into my head as I was re-reading this. I remember that one time as we were disembarking the Wish, there was a cast member directing the flow of guest traffic into an orderly line, but there was one gentleman who wasn't happy about the wait to get off and was yelling and cursing at the staff member and trying to force his way past them to cut the line. The guest eventually withdrew, but the poor cast member looked so deflated after that interaction. I left my husband in line and took a moment to walk over and tell that cast member I thought he was doing an amazing job even though it must be so difficult and wasn't right of that guest to talk to him like that, and that I just wanted him to know that we appreciated him. He brightened up immediately. I thought about that as I was rereading his point, because even though you said you were 100% polite and not angry (though at the same time it seems like you were pretty upset and frustrated during disembarkation--so perhaps your tone wasn't quite as civil as you recall), I think perhaps that cast member was on their last nerve after having experienced one or more unpleasant interactions and couldn't help be exasperated when one more guest seemed to be complaining. And while I don't think the cast member should have snapped at you, I can certainly understand it and have compassion. Who among us hasn't had a bad day at work and been a little salty about it?
Sorry, wrong wording on my part. You’re right, no one threw food at me! I was just referring to what felt to us like an exceptionally rushed pace in the dining rooms. But totally my bad for saying “literally.” Please insert “metaphorically” instead.

Re Cabanas, it certainly would have helped us if we had known it was open, because we had an early Brightline train to catch. Anyway, we got there on time, but it was a bit of a mad dash.

Re the crew member and the tone, the question was asked more out of curiousity. I’m generally courteous, and at that point wasn’t looking for a specific person to blame. But, I think you’re right, there was an implicit criticism behind the question. That said, it never occurred to me to get her name, start ranting to guest services, and make some attempt to get her in trouble. So I did move past it, but felt it was worth bringing up in my review.

I have never heard this term before. What is it? Google has failed to provide an answer.
I think this got lost in the shuffle but I assumed that the guy is Scottish (who as a culture are known for being kind of tough) and a generation older than the young ladies who were being harassed by the waiter and acted in the role of a protective "Uncle" by taking the waiter aside and telling him to cut the crap.

For those people who enjoy cruising, but without any experience on other lines, I’d suggest opening your horizons a bit. There really is a bigger, better cruising world out there.
Boy, for the price DCL charges, I wish my husband would expand his horizon! We've only cruised once on a 4-nt out of NOLA on the Magic. Just the 2 of us in a 1BR concierge. Very enjoyable overall. We avoided awkward/uncomfortable situations by throwing money at it. Guaranteed 2-top, express walk off. As an introvert, I was not excited about table-side puzzle night, but as our team was lovely, I took it in stride. I got the speech, but maybe it was their delivery as I did not find it off-putting. Food was good for banquet food, and Palo was the same. Neither was the mind-blowing experience the internet hype would have you believe. What I find crazy is how people seem to have the menus memorized and lose their stuff if there's change. How boring! Crowded buffets are gross and not our thing. Doing it again on the Magic for a 7-nt. in the fall. Where I wish the husband would consider a different line is Alaska. Those prices are wowza, but he will not consider it. At this point, I'd rather just fly into Alaska and traipse around on our own.

Boy, for the price DCL charges, I wish my husband would expand his horizon! We've only cruised once on a 4-nt out of NOLA on the Magic. Just the 2 of us in a 1BR concierge. Very enjoyable overall. We avoided awkward/uncomfortable situations by throwing money at it. Guaranteed 2-top, express walk off. As an introvert, I was not excited about table-side puzzle night, but as our team was lovely, I took it in stride. I got the speech, but maybe it was their delivery as I did not find it off-putting. Food was good for banquet food, and Palo was the same. Neither was the mind-blowing experience the internet hype would have you believe. What I find crazy is how people seem to have the menus memorized and lose their stuff if there's change. How boring! Crowded buffets are gross and not our thing. Doing it again on the Magic for a 7-nt. in the fall. Where I wish the husband would consider a different line is Alaska. Those prices are wowza, but he will not consider it. At this point, I'd rather just fly into Alaska and traipse around on our own.
I appreciate your sense of humor about it!

Seriously, if you have the money to spend on Disney Concierge, consider something like NCL’s Haven cabins. Their Concierge (Haven) level would have a private dining room and outside area - for less money. Many lines have a butler service, not just the few hosts for all of Concierge.

Or pick any line going to Alaska. Most of them have a “Ship Within a Ship” area. Holland America, Princess, Cunard, and NCL can get you to Glacier Bay for that extra glacier viewing day.

(I have cruised AK with Disney, Princess, and NCL - the scenery is definitely the focus.)

the pressure for additional tipping.
Been on 7 DCL cruises and never felt pressured to add additional tips. Yes, they provide envelopes, but that is just for IF you want to leave extra. You don't even have to give the green slip if you don't want. They still get the gratuities - or know that you removed them. No pressure to add more. That's all in your perception.

The envelopes are provided because some people DO want to give extra and don't want to just slap it on their account.

Last edited:
Seriously, if you have the money to spend on Disney Concierge, consider something like NCL’s Haven cabins. Their Concierge (Haven) level would have a private dining room and outside area - for less money. Many lines have a butler service, not just the few hosts for all of Concierge.

Or pick any line going to Alaska. Most of them have a “Ship Within a Ship” area. Holland America, Princess, Cunard, and NCL can get you to Glacier Bay for that extra glacier viewing day.

(I have cruised AK with Disney, Princess, and NCL - the scenery is definitely the focus.)
Believe me, it was hard enough to get him to agree to a cruise in the first place! I am constantly watching any & all YT videos about different lines and itineraries, including Alaska. The hubs won't consider it! :confused3

Been on 7 DCL cruises and never felt pressured to add additional tips. Yes, they provide envelopes, but that is just for IF you want to leave extra. You don't even have to give the green slip if you don't want. They still get the gratuities - or know that you removed them. No pressure to add more. That's all in your perception.

The envelopes are provided because some people DO want to give extra and don't want to just slap it on their account.
My wife and I have sailed on Holland America, Princess, Celebrity, Regent, Crystal, NCL, and Viking, and always prepay our gratuities. Aside from our cruise on the Dream, we’ve never had envelopes appear in our stateroom, just in case we want to give extra cash, and on no other line did we ever receive preprinted strips of paper with the amounts we had already paid. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing in any way, since it’s no doubt convenient for those people who do want to give crew members something extra, but my wife and I found it confusing.

Believe me, it was hard enough to get him to agree to a cruise in the first place! I am constantly watching any & all YT videos about different lines and itineraries, including Alaska. The hubs won't consider it! :confused3
Then I guess you are going to Alaska on Disney. Best thing going for Disney: Mickey and Minnie in their Alaskan garb.

Honestly, some of my favorite parts of Alaska cruising were from a Northbound itinerary. College fjord was packed with glaciers in a small area. After the cruise, we rode the train through the middle of the state, 12 hours from Anchorage to Fairbanks, with Mt Denali visible for hours at the start.

But every cruise in Alaska has been great, starting with Disney the first month they headed there. Four years earlier, it was the big request at the Castaway party (when silver guests were included - on a 4-night itinerary. Things have changed!)

Since you know your carrier, it comes down to itinerary, date, and excursions. I hope you can enjoy the research. I still watch YT videos to see if anything’s new.

Loved DCL to Alaska.
IMG_2920.jpegIMG_2893.jpeg

In Skagway we walked up to the Elks lodge.
Built long long time ago.

Mama Jo was the sweet as sugar 80’s year old bartender and bowling pin setter machine mechanic.
They have a few lanes built back in the mid 1930’s.
Bar open to non-member visitors last visit.

It’s where the character filled friendly locals stop by come n go and enjoy cheap drinks.
A fantastic way to really scratch the surface of a town.

Awesome place.

Last edited:
Last DCL Cruise we got good advise that the food quality in the dining rooms had been much improved in quality and variety and inspiration that maybe not consider Palo.

The advise was spot on correct. On top of that the most fantastic Asian food I've ever encountered.

My wife can't comment, she's never had a bad meal nor a bad day in her life:

Massage table on the Wonder:

IMG_2445.jpegIMG_2449.jpeg
People mention DCL is expensive.
We compared prices on Panama Canal Cruises and all lines were the same.

Sight lines on the first four DCL ships to take in the scenery and ocean are superb from just about any spot on the decks and outside passageways. Even inside.

I don’t think people realize that. Outstanding views all over the ships. The Designers really thought that through.

No crowds in one spot to take in a point of interest, you can see it from everywhere on board port or starboard.

We’ve cruise most others, nothing like DCL.
If you ain’t been sprinkled with Pixie Dust, then you won’t understand.

Last edited:
Oh, it is so hard to know what to do! Right now we have both DCL and Princess booked. We don't want to spend the $ to do a veranda on DCL so we have an inside stateroom booked. My thought was that even if we were a little bored on Princess, at least we could sit on the veranda and look at the scenery and read. But my heart is definitely with DCL.

We'll keep them both booked until after our August DCL cruise on the Magic - I think then we'll know if we still want the Disney touches (kid is now 15 so has moved on from some things) or whether we are OK with trying something new. The Princess cruise we've booked leaves from Seattle which is also a bonus for us - cheaper flights and a city we want to visit with our kid anyway. But it is hard for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter