• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn’t Charles the one who really set this whole thing off? Which lead to Dustin speaking, which lead to Sean speaking?

No, charles is not the impetus for any of this. Sean started speaking out last year on a different message board and his YouTube channel. Last month, Sean and Dustin connected and Dustin revealed what happened to him. Then later on, Charles confirmed that Pete confessed to him what he did to Dustin.

I posted a comment about three months ago calling out Pete and his toxic work enviroment. I could see that crap from just watching the vlogs. It got deleted pretty quick. But I did really love watching them.

But this other crap now, has blowed my mind. Never could I have seen this. I watched for a very long time before I realized Sean was even gay. Nothing surprises me much anymore, but this made me gasp!!

Well, I mean, let’s not get crazy. Not counting recent revelations, that sites users appear to hate-watch the Dis (if the show has sucked for so long, why keep watching it religiously?).

But I might be biased, because regardless of lineup changes, Craig and Ryno have been my favorite mainstays. They could do a show on just shooting the schitt, and I’d prolly be entertained.
A lot of people hate Craig’s dry, deadpan delivery, but I was always was relieved/happy when he was hosting a week and Pete was out (any show when Pete wasn’t on was more fun and loose).
Even if you take away The Dis Unplugged team completely (I agree, those guys are great)... this community forum specifically has been the epitome of toxic for a long while now. Because of the culture that Pete created here, the forums have repeatedly banned many of its biggest contributors and best moderators all due to Pete's ego and controlling personality.

Anyone involved with this community has no room to speak about toxicity of other websites. I know that many of you have found a home here, but there have been so many warning signs and red flags of dysfunction behind the scenes.

Right, my comments were about how this site was run per those who helped in the early years. It was a long time ago so not sure what level could read, but they did absolutely share private info on the back end. Their issues are decades in the making.

Having run sites I can give ideas on what goes on elsewhere but that wasn't my point. Except they did have a choice not to look and they not only did but shared it with others. Which is what I want the focus to be on. How long and how bad this has been going on. This site really shaped how not to moderate and admin IRL for me.

People look at this site like it was run by gods so to speak. It isn't. They're human. And often not very nice humans running it.
I agree 100%.
I just wanted to be clear that I really don't know how they run things here and that I wasn't speaking from a position to know what actually happens behind the scenes here, but I do know what is capable for admins to do based on my experience in other similar message board formats. I'm certainly not defending their actions at all, and I absolutely disagree with what happened in not only reading private messages but also sharing them. Based on my own observations on here over the years, as well as my own personal experience being on the receiving end and seeing others given warnings, infractions, deleted posts, deleted threads and bans, there definitely appears to have been a gross abuse of power.

I do understand the use of private boards for mods to discuss business, and I do believe they need a space to do that. But I wasn't saying that what they did/said on those private boards is ok. I apologize if it came across like that.
And you're 100% right, when people come on here they do look up to the mods/admins, etc, which is why its important to have the right people in leadership positions. Most people who come on here look at them as the ultimate authority for Disney and respect them for their position. We tend to look at people in authority as someone who has earned their elevated position. Like getting promoted in a job. But that's not the case at all with message boards. People are given authority positions based on friendships, relationships, like minded thinking, etc.

Unfortunately, a lot of fear (for lack of a better word) of saying the "wrong" thing, or a desire to not step out of line on here was created and fostered by a few in authority positions. Step out of line (which changed depending on who was reading or deleting posts) and you are out. Disagree or try to explain yourself and you were banned. Of course no one wanted that, because it really does make it seem like the poster who had their posts deleted must've said something so horrible that it needed to be erased. Or that if a person was banned, they must've done something so horrible that they needed to be banned. From stories I've read and from what I've witnessed with my own eyes on here, that's not always the case.

Welp. I guess there’s no live or pre-taped show today.
While we were never given a timeline for the replay of the "Live" event recorded in CA, we were informed two weeks ago that it would be quite some time before we would get another live Tuesday show. The absence of a show today was foretold. Granted, the reason was kept from us. But the part about needing to find a new studio space and the need to build out said studio were true. The way Craig presented it to the audience, I'd say that 4 to 6 weeks would be an ambitious timeline. Whether recent revelations cause the crew to do an earlier-than-expected podcast in a makeshift studio to address issues before they get stale remains unclear. I tend to doubt it for legal reasons. Ryno has done some live "musings" shows on YT and I am guessing that this type of content is going to be all we see in terms of live shows for a while. But in terms of a back-to-normal live Tuesday DIS Unplugged podcast? Don't hold your breath for anything before Labor Day. That's my guess.

While we were never given a timeline for the replay of the "Live" event recorded in CA, we were informed two weeks ago that it would be quite some time before we would get another live Tuesday show. The absence of a show today was foretold. Granted, the reason was kept from us. But the part about needing to find a new studio space and the need to build out said studio were true. The way Craig presented it to the audience, I'd say that 4 to 6 weeks would be an ambitious timeline. Whether recent revelations cause the crew to do an earlier-than-expected podcast in a makeshift studio to address issues before they get stale remains unclear. I tend to doubt it for legal reasons. Ryno has done some live "musings" shows on YT and I am guessing that this type of content is going to be all we see in terms of live shows for a while. But in terms of a back-to-normal live Tuesday DIS Unplugged podcast? Don't hold your breath for anything before Labor Day. That's my guess.

The only other thing I'd add is there is no Tuesday show and there is also no Connecting with Walt on Friday's. Last week, Michael announced the show would be back sometime in September (I forget the actual date)...the normal hiatus, nothing nefarious as far as I can figure out.

While we were never given a timeline for the replay of the "Live" event recorded in CA
Given the behavior by some of the team on social media (including these boards) while they were in CA, and the fact that they chose not to mention Pete Werner's departure AT ALL during the live podcast, it may be better if that recording never sees the light of day.

Last edited:
Given the behavior by some of the team on social media while they were in CA, and the fact that they chose not to mention Pete Werner's departure AT ALL during the live podcast, it may be better if that recording never sees the light of day.
Obviously not my call, but that is where I come out as well. I am sure that the event was "fun" for the people on the trip, but for those of us who did not go, I can't possibley imagine what they discussed and shared that would be of interest to me. Even less interesting than pulling out the old Kodak Slide Carousel to watch other people's vacation photos.

Regarding the recent Disneyland event, they had paying customers attending both the party and podcast recording, so they couldn't cancel those events last minute without a lot of backlash. I understand why they didn't address anything at the event, but do feel like the next podcast should have a minimum a spoken statement

Even if you take away The Dis Unplugged team completely (I agree, those guys are great)... this community forum specifically has been the epitome of toxic for a long while now. Because of the culture that Pete created here, the forums have repeatedly banned many of its biggest contributors and best moderators all due to Pete's ego and controlling personality.

Anyone involved with this community has no room to speak about toxicity of other websites. I know that many of you have found a home here, but there have been so many warning signs and red flags of dysfunction behind the scenes.
Agreed, this forum kind of doesn't have any room to speak about toxicity when I have reported numerous posts that are blatantly homophobic and they weren't deleted but my posts calling them out get removed...?

Hi friends,

I've already posted this on another website but...

I’m still processing everything that has been revealed today. It’s been unfortunate timing with John’s statement on behalf of the company.

I will say there’s one thing that bothers me beyond everything. We keep squabbling amongst ourselves. We keep pointing blame to everyone else. We keep looking at excuses and accusations for everyone on the team.

While the nuance of inter company politics is very complicated, I want to redirect our focus. And I hope you’ll join me.

Can I make a bold statement? Pete Werner drugged and raped me. Let’s focus our anger on this man. He has resigned from all related positions of power he once held. But I can no longer tolerate his ability to escape this.

This man is the reason we’re having these conversations. If only for my sake, I beg you to redirect all anger, sadness, and hatred to this man.

Dustin
I’ve been following the other board for the past year but have never been able to register so I just want to share my support for you (and Sean!) here 🖤 You guys have shown incredible strength and grace.

Regarding the recent Disneyland event, they had paying customers attending both the party and podcast recording, so they couldn't cancel those events last minute without a lot of backlash. I understand why they didn't address anything at the event, but do feel like the next podcast should have a minimum a spoken statement

Anyone that attended the event want to chime in on your thoughts (I understand you might be worried about getting attitude)?

If I went to that event, I would not want the party or podcast to be all about these horrible events. I would've paid a lot of money, taken off time from work, and flew my family across the country and I would want to get what I paid for: an engaged Dis team that is putting on the events as scheduled. Yes some stuff was a bit tone deaf and some acknowledgement would be nice but the event goers paid good money and it was John and the Dis's responsibility to deliver. If John and Corey had just gone into their bunker and went full on crisis mode during the event, is that fair to the event goers that have nothing to do with any of this to not hear and see the people they paid to see?

I don't want to make it all about money and services but at the end of the day, John and the team put up an event that had their most hardcore fans pay big money to see the "show." John and the team moping around or hiding or even being an overall debbie downer at the parks is not what people signed up and paid for.

Hate to say the Dis team was "performing" but for an event like this they are "working" not only to make sure all the details are coordinated (I am sure that took a lot of their time and took time away from fully addressing the PW issue) but literally had to have "fun" with their guests. No matter which "side" you may be on, John and Kevin HAD to eat that pretzel and run a fun podcast. May be a more forceful message on their site and a brief statement at the event is appropriate but I doubt the party goers wants to hear and read what is going on at the party. Yes you can say its ducking the issue and head in the sand but I am sure at least some of the party goers were aware and can read and post on the forums like the rest of us.

Anyone that attended the event want to chime in on your thoughts (I understand you might be worried about getting attitude)?

If I went to that event, I would not want the party or podcast to be all about these horrible events. I would've paid a lot of money, taken off time from work, and flew my family across the country and I would want to get what I paid for: an engaged Dis team that is putting on the events as scheduled. Yes some stuff was a bit tone deaf and some acknowledgement would be nice but the event goers paid good money and it was John and the Dis's responsibility to deliver. If John and Corey had just gone into their bunker and went full on crisis mode during the event, is that fair to the event goers that have nothing to do with any of this to not hear and see the people they paid to see?

I don't want to make it all about money and services but at the end of the day, John and the team put up an event that had their most hardcore fans pay big money to see the "show." John and the team moping around or hiding or even being an overall debbie downer at the parks is not what people signed up and paid for.

Hate to say the Dis team was "performing" but for an event like this they are "working" not only to make sure all the details are coordinated (I am sure that took a lot of their time and took time away from fully addressing the PW issue) but literally had to have "fun" with their guests. No matter which "side" you may be on, John and Kevin HAD to eat that pretzel and run a fun podcast. May be a more forceful message on their site and a brief statement at the event is appropriate but I doubt the party goers wants to hear and read what is going on at the party. Yes you can say its ducking the issue and head in the sand but I am sure at least some of the party goers were aware and can read and post on the forums like the rest of us.
I don't blame them at all for holding the event as scheduled, and not addressing the allegations during it - for all the reasons you stated here. They had an obligation to everyone who purchased tickets for that event, absolutely.

The biggest issue for me was teasing an event a year+ out that's not even really planned before giving their own employees time to process this (as I'm sure they weren't during the DLR event, nor would I expect them to!). That was inappropriate given the circumstances, IMO.

I'd love to see Craig and Ryno break off and do their own thing, a la Molly with Mammoth Club.
I would love that but I dont think they have the views to support them. DIS is has a very small following on youtube compared to the other vloggers

I don't blame them at all for holding the event as scheduled, and not addressing the allegations during it - for all the reasons you stated here. They had an obligation to everyone who purchased tickets for that event, absolutely.

The biggest issue for me was teasing an event a year+ out that's not even really planned before giving their own employees time to process this (as I'm sure they weren't during the DLR event, nor would I expect them to!). That was inappropriate given the circumstances, IMO.

The cruise announcement does look bad but anyone that was there or I guess we can wait until the podcast is out to see for ourselves. Was it like in passing like "hey everyone hope you had a good time, next year we want to do a cruise" and left it at that. That just sounds like par for the course for any event where you reference the next one. Or was it like they spent a significant amount of time going over it and really want people to feel like nothing was wrong and this cruise IS happening no matter what. How did they handle this at prior meets? I assume they always had a "see you next year" announcement.

The cruise announcement does look bad but anyone that was there or I guess we can wait until the podcast is out to see for ourselves. Was it like in passing like "hey everyone hope you had a good time, next year we want to do a cruise" and left it at that. That just sounds like par for the course for any event where you reference the next one. Or was it like they spent a significant amount of time going over it and really want people to feel like nothing was wrong and this cruise IS happening no matter what. How did they handle this at prior meets? I assume they always had a "see you next year" announcement.
It was just a tease from what was said, so I imagine it was like a "see ya next year" kind of thing. But still. Given the seriousness of everything happening, it could have been left off and just sent everyone off with "thanks and hope you had a great time, we hope to continue helping you plan your dream vacation with DUT" type statement

Totally get that and don't disagree. The paying customers have every right to enjoy the event they paid for, likely without having any idea what was going on behind the scenes. They were entitled to have the hosts present and attentive, and be free to learn of the PW/AmEx events on their own, at their own pace, just like everyone here and on other boards has been able to do.

The issue some people have is that the social media content doesn't reflect any engagement with the ABD attendees on the part of senior leadership at all. Every post was about John or Kevin, with nary a photo of any of the individuals or the group activities they were supposed to be engaged with.

The tease about next year's event was probably less than a minute. John said that they traditionally alternated years for these events between a land based gathering and a cruise. He said next year would be a cruise but had not done anything on it. The tease occurred during the body of the podcast, not at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter