Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way the entire team did not know about this. How in the hell did no one do or say anything? Too scared of losing all those theme park benefits I guess. Disgusting.
Dustin has repeatedly said he didn't tell anyone about the SA, and repeatedly asked that we stop insinuating that they had to have known.

We at least owe him the respect of listening to him.

He is posting on Twitter about his work experience. It sounds similar to what was described except he dials it up to allege the company enabled Pete’s behavior and went along with it for dollars. He signs off with something the IRS will be interested in (Sean alluded before in passing but Tyler’s puts it in words the IRS will understand).

Last edited:
I know this was posted a while ago, but I'm catching up and need to go to bed.

If you're referring to the DISboards on FB group, I can clear this up a bit.
We (the mod team there) agreed that we have one post addressing this, the same as here.
Also, facebook has their own mod tools that we cannot change. Algorithms turn off comenting on fast moving posts when comments hit 50 comments. We were actively turning them back on, 2 of us at one time and they just kept getting turned off by FB. We weren't doing that. Facebook also watch when increased traffic occurs and they can also shut down whole groups when too many user reports come through, which was happening too.

Moderating a FB group has its own challenges that the boards don't have: it's not just us, we are working within (and sometimes against) facebook's own rules, moderation and algorithms. The boards aren't beholden to anything but their own rules and moderation.

We, the mod team in the DISboards FB group, were not shutting down commentary.

If you're referring to the DISunplugged fan facebook group, i can't talk to that, so if things were being deleted, maybe that was a mod choice, or FB was puling things that were being reported. If comments go off, again, algorithms are at play too.
You can even see that they were turned off by FB, usually it will say "commenting was turned off automatically" or something to that effect.

Anyway, sorry if you were disappointed in the moderation over there, we have had no mention of this debacle there until today (or yesterday for those in the USA), and i think some mods aren't on the boards so weren't aware of the open convo happening here, so some things may have been deleted (before I got up this morning) but once we were all directed to let it flow stay respectful and abide by rules as always, and keep it contained to one thread, I believe it was let to do so.

We've also, understandably, had an influx of new members, usually we get a lot of spam account requests, but today has been another level.

I know that Jeff ( @OKW Lover ) and @WebmasterJackie and the rest of the team can back me up on all I've said above.
With respect, the automatic locking of threads must be a group setting and not a FB wide setting. The Dis group admin set that option, not Facebook. We know this because I have never seen that kind of auto lock in any other FB group, including some of the other more wild Disney groups where things go crazy very fast. It also took the Dis group a very long time to open up my thread to commenting again when it was auto-locked. Finally, my post was up at least an hour before John’s statement, so it also was not a question of having multiple posts during that time.

Dustin has repeatedly said he didn't tell anyone about the SA, and repeatedly asked that we stop insinuating that they had to have known.

We at least owe him the respect of listening to him.
I agree to an extent. However, as a listener since 2007 it was pretty apparent that PW was an abusive tyrannical monster. Most, including myself, just ignored it over the years as the show was mostly fun and informative.

I cannot possibly imagine actually working with him on a daily basis and not knowing about any of this.

At least one knew and one highly suspected. I was adamant about listening to the insiders versus speculating. Well the insiders have spoken….
Please look at my statement which is restating what *Dustin* has said, that HE didn't tell anyone about the physical assault.
Dustin is not responsible for knowing who PW may have told .

I agreed with you 100% until yesterday but since then Charles, Jenilynn, and now Tyler is now saying otherwise.

Again, Charles was told as another form of manipulation/abuse/control. His statement makes that pretty obvious. JL has not said she knew about the physical abuse, in fact I'm pretty sure she's stated she was NOT aware of the SA. nor has Tyler said he was aware of the physical abuse. They were both aware it was a highly toxic work environment, but that is separate from the physical abuse. Both issues are serious, and related - but shouldn't be conflated.

I agree to an extent. However, as a listener since 2007 it was pretty apparent that PW was an abusive tyrannical monster. Most, including myself, just ignored it over the years as the show was mostly fun and informative.

I cannot possibly imagine actually working with him on a daily basis and not knowing about any of this.

Please go back to my original post where I am specifically referencing the physical abuse as being what Dustin has said the team didn't know. I'm not talking about his verbal/emotional/financial abuse - I have little doubt many if not most of them were victims of that. I am speaking specifically of the physical abuse being what Dustin said he told no one of, and what *dustin* asked everyone here to stop speculating about.

I think it is clear that Dustin and Sean did not tell the other team members about the sexual assaults. I don’t think it is fair to blame the team or hold them responsible for not being aware of these sexual assaults.

However, the assaults are just part of the story. The other part is the bullying and manipulation of both of them, plus many other employees, over time. That does not happen in a vacuum and should have been clear to John. It is not a huge organization and they all work closely together. Now, if John was completely unaware of the bullying, then I think he failed his responsibilities as a co-owner and co-leader of the company. It was part of his job to know if his co-owner was bullying employees.

So John either knew about the bullying and did nothing, or didn’t know, but should have known. Either way, it is not a good outcome. As a result, I find his immediate focus on how he and Kevin are victims of some harsh words over the last few days misguided and tone-deaf. It is also insulting to the real victims here and incredibly disappointing and disrespectful to everyone.

With respect, the automatic locking of threads must be a group setting and not a FB wide setting. The Dis group admin set that option, not Facebook. We know this because I have never seen that kind of auto lock in any other FB group, including some of the other more wild Disney groups where things go crazy very fast. It also took the Dis group a very long time to open up my thread to commenting again when it was auto-locked. Finally, my post was up at least an hour before John’s statement, so it also was not a question of having multiple posts during that time.
With respect, that *is* a Facebook thing. There is no setting that we have toggled on for it to do that.

I’ve personally seen it in many groups I’m in.

It’s 50 comments in a *very* short space of time.

Your post went up before I was online this morning (if it’s the one I think it is) and I believe one other mod did in fact turn that off because they aren’t on the boards and thought that it needed to be shut down. That was a misunderstanding from a conversation earlier this week where we were all on alert just to ensure that any discussion that did occur, was following the rules. I think it was is understood that we wouldn’t allow the discussion,

I’m not saying this as an out, or to make excuses, I’m trying to be transparent.
There is no ulterior motive here, despite your feelings and those being expressed on the other site about the FB group. I’m just trying to be fair to those involved, including myself, yes. But we weren’t directed to suppress conversation about it at all.

Is anyone in touch with Sean? And/or Sean are you still here to any extent. I went to send a PM but it wouldn't work so I didn't know if they were banned, or if it was that they are too new (this account itself), etc. I'm also (like so many) not registered/able to register on that other site - but there's a message or two I wanted to pass along.
You can probably message him on Instagram. I’m on the other group if you need something posted you can message me and I can share.

With respect, that *is* a Facebook thing. There is no setting that we have toggled on for it to do that.

I’ve personally seen it in many groups I’m in.

It’s 50 comments in a *very* short space of time.

Your post went up before I was online this morning (if it’s the one I think it is) and I believe one other mod did in fact turn that off because they aren’t on the boards and thought that it needed to be shut down. That was a misunderstanding from a conversation earlier this week where we were all on alert just to ensure that any discussion that did occur, was following the rules. I think it was is understood that we wouldn’t allow the discussion,

I’m not saying this as an out, or to make excuses, I’m trying to be transparent.
There is no ulterior motive here, despite your feelings and those being expressed on the other site about the FB group. I’m just trying to be fair to those involved, including myself, yes. But we weren’t directed to suppress conversation about it at all.
My post is the one from Michael Barker in the Dis FB asking why we were pretending that nothing was happening. I’ll drop the auto lock point, even though it does not occur in groups like Annual Passholders or Disney Junkies which get way more traffic and crazy jump on posts than the Dis group. Maybe they have a special FB arrangements, who knows. In any event, it is all moot now. You are allowing free discussion and that is a good thing.

Please look at my statement which is restating what *Dustin* has said, that HE didn't tell anyone about the physical assault.
Dustin is not responsible for knowing who PW may have told .

Again, Charles was told as another form of manipulation/abuse/control. His statement makes that pretty obvious. JL has not said she knew about the physical abuse, in fact I'm pretty sure she's stated she was NOT aware of the SA. nor has Tyler said he was aware of the physical abuse. They were both aware it was a highly toxic work environment, but that is separate from the physical abuse. Both issues are serious, and related - but shouldn't be conflated.
Yes, sorry, I misquoted, I am not saying Dustin is lying about telling anyone.

It began as two separate issues but the it has evolved into one. Jenilynn said she highly suspected due to her interactions and heard many rumors and tales that matched her suspicions, yes she also had a post on the toxic work environment but that was mainly to correct the w i ki that the other site was compiling. Charles and Tyler are mentioning enablers and the work environment itself that allows Pete to do these heinous acts. Each member experienced their own traumas but they all fell victim to the apparatus of control.

I agree Pete caused all this but this story gets worst every time you think it cant get worst and its now at the Pete W was allowed to do all kinds of heinous things because the organization and some of the people allowed it. This was not my take in the beginning and I struggle to accept it (again I was a big fan of Pete, the show, the service I got with DUT, and all the members on the team current and prior, heck the candles weren't that bad, and I am in the process of a resale with dvcresale after not using them for my previous resale contract which I had no issues with, strictly to support the show).

Even Ryno in his live is struggling to accept it, he realized/admitted that he was a "bottom rung" employee where he really wasn't told much, had little say in what goes on, and kind of pushed around to do stuff. The system was so good it fooled even him and he is now regretting not knowing and doing something about it. My own opinion on Ryno is given Tyler's blistering attack and that if I remembered correctly, Ryno stayed with Tyler on a DL trip? that Ryno is genuinely an innocent that was not deemed an important enough employee to have any sort of power and was kept in the dark enough that he did not realize what was happening. Like I said with Craig, I also believe in my heart of hearts that Ryno would have quit if he knew the SA and the degree of bullying of other members as well as conclusion that the DIS culture was set up to enable Pete.

I am with you in supporting the victims and I am glad you picked apart my thoughts as I had to go back and rethink my position. I just feel that we have progressed further down the depths and I fully understand if you do not want to join me down here. It makes me feel...very bad.

Last edited:
Also, I get the other site can be unnecessarily mean at times, but gossip, in and of itself, is not always bad. Gossip can give people without a voice and without power a way to spread useful information about people with power. It gave Dustin and Sean a voice when other, more "legitimate" methods wouldn't have worked.
The problem is that gossips talk so much that they get ignored by everyone outside of their circle. I've been aware of that thread for years and couldn't be bothered to read 20 pages of people talking about Pete burping during the show (or similar minor complaint about other team members).

I think it is clear that Dustin and Sean did not tell the other team members about the sexual assaults. I don’t think it is fair to blame the team or hold them responsible for not being aware of these sexual assaults.

However, the assaults are just part of the story. The other part is the bullying and manipulation of both of them, plus many other employees, over time. That does not happen in a vacuum and should have been clear to John. It is not a huge organization and they all work closely together. Now, if John was completely unaware of the bullying, then I think he failed his responsibilities as a co-owner and co-leader of the company. It was part of his job to know if his co-owner was bullying employees.

So John either knew about the bullying and did nothing, or didn’t know, but should have known. Either way, it is not a good outcome. As a result, I find his immediate focus on how he and Kevin are victims of some harsh words over the last few days misguided and tone-deaf. It is also insulting to the real victims here and incredibly disappointing and disrespectful to everyone.
If we're going to apply that standard though many of us as fans were also complicit. Between the revolving door of employees, the occasional comments made towards members of the team on the show, etc. it was clear that the work environment was not the healthiest. Why did we give him attention that allowed him to monetize this? Or give him our travel business?

Basically... I'm just saying we should be careful when pointing fingers.

The problem is that gossips talk so much that they get ignored by everyone outside of their circle. I've been aware of that thread for years and couldn't be bothered to read 20 pages of people talking about Pete burping during the show (or similar minor complaint about other team members).

If we're going to apply that standard though many of us as fans were also complicit. Between the revolving door of employees, the occasional comments made towards members of the team on the show, etc. it was clear that the work environment was not the healthiest. Why did we give him attention that allowed him to monetize this? Or give him our travel business?

Basically... I'm just saying we should be careful when pointing fingers.
There is a huge difference between working side by side with people for years and listening to a 45 minute podcast once a week with a manufactured front. They are not the same at all. You are reaching.

Oh and to be clear, when I think back to the times I laughed at Pete’s comments, I now feel gross and sick, so yes I feel a little complicit. It feels horrible. However, I am also not Pete’s business partner for decades.

Yes, sorry, I misquoted, I am not saying Dustin is lying about telling anyone.

It began as two separate issues but the it has evolved into one. Jenilynn said she highly suspected due to her interactions and heard many rumors and tales that matched her suspicions, yes she also had a post on the toxic work environment but that was mainly to correct the w i ki that the other site was compiling. Charles and Tyler are mentioning enablers and the work environment itself that is allow Pete to do this heinous acts. Each member experienced their own traumas but they all fell victim to the apparatus of control.

I agree Pete caused all this but this story gets worst every time you think it cant get worst and its now at the Pete W was allowed to do all kinds of heinous things because the organization and some of the people allowed it. This was not my take in the beginning and I struggle to accept it (again I was a big fan of Pete, the show, the service I got with DUT, and all the members on the team current and prior, heck the candles weren't that bad, and I am in the process of a resale with dvcresale after not using them for my previous resale contract which I had no issues with, strictly to support the show).

Even Ryno in his live is struggling to accept it, he realized/admitted that he was a "bottom rung" employee where he really wasn't told much, had little say in what goes on, and kind of pushed around to do stuff. The system was so good it fooled even him and he is now regretting not knowing and doing something about it. My own opinion on Ryno is given Tyler's blistering attack and that if I remembered correctly, Ryno stayed with Tyler on a DL trip? that Ryno is genuinely an innocent that was not deemed an important enough employee to have any sort of power and was kept in the dark enough that he did not realize what was happening. Like I said with Craig, I also believe in my heart of hearts that Ryno would have quit if he knew the SA and the degree of bullying of other members as well as conclusion that the DIS culture was set up to enable Pete.

I am with you in supporting the victims and I am glad you picked apart my thoughts as I had to go back and rethink my position. I just feel that we have progressed further down the depths and I fully understand if you do not want to join me down here. It makes me feel...very bad.
Oh I've gone to depths, absolutely. While absolutely nothing like what Dustin and Sean have shared or the level of non-physical abuse detailed here over the last few days, I have unfortunately had experience with a hostile and toxic environment created by one in power over me (though an academic setting rather than a business one). This brought up a lot that I'm now talking through with a therapist, which I've never done before.

However. That's not important here. Nor are my suppositions about who knew what when and what they may have done if they knew.

What's important is centering the victims and focusing on what they express they need from us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter