Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends,

I've already posted this on another website but...

I’m still processing everything that has been revealed today. It’s been unfortunate timing with John’s statement on behalf of the company.

I will say there’s one thing that bothers me beyond everything. We keep squabbling amongst ourselves. We keep pointing blame to everyone else. We keep looking at excuses and accusations for everyone on the team.

While the nuance of inter company politics is very complicated, I want to redirect our focus. And I hope you’ll join me.

Can I make a bold statement? Pete Werner drugged and raped me. Let’s focus our anger on this man. He has resigned from all related positions of power he once held. But I can no longer tolerate his ability to escape this.

This man is the reason we’re having these conversations. If only for my sake, I beg you to redirect all anger, sadness, and hatred to this man.

Dustin

Dustin you continue to be incredibly brave. Please let us know if there are additional ways we can support you and Sean. I had to pay for my own therapy to deal with trauma from SA so know it isn't cheap. My heart goes out to all the victims. Please remember to take time for yourselves especially after what happened to you was further revealed. You owe none of us your further time or explinations. I hope everyone can respect your request as the victim here.

Absolutely not, Charles had the prior knowledge before I started and had context to it.

He was terrible to my face. The word I would use is just flat out cruel. I’ve never been treated as poorly by a co-worker as I was by Charles Boda.
Is anyone in touch with Sean? And/or Sean are you still here to any extent. I went to send a PM but it wouldn't work so I didn't know if they were banned, or if it was that they are too new (this account itself), etc. I'm also (like so many) not registered/able to register on that other site - but there's a message or two I wanted to pass along.

Hi friends,

I’m still processing everything that has been revealed today. It’s been unfortunate timing with John’s statement on behalf of the company.

I will say there’s one thing that bothers me beyond everything. We keep squabbling amongst ourselves. We keep pointing blame to everyone else. We keep looking at excuses and accusations for everyone on the team.

While the nuance of inter company politics is very complicated, I want to redirect our focus. And I hope you’ll join me.

Can I make a bold statement? Pete Werner drugged and raped me. Let’s focus our anger on this man. He has resigned from all related positions of power he once held. But I can no longer tolerate his ability to escape this.

This man is the reason we’re having these conversations. If only for my sake, I beg you to redirect all anger, sadness, and hatred to this man.

Dustin

I hear you, Dustin. I truly do. And I don't even want you to have to bother with responding to this, because what follows is so insignificant to what you are going through that it doesn't deserve a response.

Pete is an absolute monster, yes. Pete deserves to be punished, imprisoned, and have everything good in his life taken away from him.

But it's possible that this monster was enabled or at least tolerated. And I personally cannot and will not support a company that allowed that. I cannot and will not support a company that does not take accountability or pledge to do better (much better) going forward. And it has made me sick this last week thinking about the past support I have given, particularly after the one-two punch of your latest revelation and John's tone-deaf statement.

I, as an outsider, want to know what the response moving forward will be, and what accountability there will be. Because any company that does not do that, certainty doesn't deserve to be in charge of planning family vacations to Walt Disney World.

@Dustin and @themando

Is there anyway to best support you beyond continuing to believe you both?

I know you may be unable to answer this but would you rather people still watch\support dis or not? Book with Dreams or hold off for awhile? I am trying to do what I personally can to stand with you both in whatever way you both see fit.

ETA- You have both been so brave to share your stories. Thank you. I am asking about what to do not to put you on the spot but because I trust both of your judgments because you know the people involved much better than I do. I don’t want to act on behalf of what I might perceive you might want and be incorrect.
This is exactly what I wanted to know. And it's more than okay to (a) not know right now, (b) want conflicting things, (c) want to be done with it all, (d) want to express pain, anger or other emotions, and (e) do all of the above, none of the above, etc etc. You get to feel and need what you feel and need. But I believe there are people on this board (and I'd like to think I was one) who would do whatever possible to support you two.

Well, the "other" website has comments from Tyler from the old Disneyland DIS show. Here are some direct quotes:

"It's not just Pete. He has followers that do his bidding."
"The DIS is a disgusting place in my opinion. They all hate each other."
"The drama is immeasurable. It's perhaps the most toxic workplace I've ever been apart of"

And finally (emphasis mine)...

"I regret that I've held my tongue. The reality in my opinion is: Pete Werner is an abuser and Dreams Unlimited Travel let It Happen."

Tyler from the Disneyland show has something to say. I think the many here who are concerned about others acting as enablers are not out of line. View attachment 782541
Lots of care to Tyler too. Quite honestly, and I realize I'm not anyone special, but here is some free advice re: upcoming next moves for the company (but not about PW - because you all have contracts, etc to figure out):

1) Allow, coordinate, and pay for, staff to receive significant counseling (preferably during work hours, if they so desire - in part, they shouldn't have to use their personal time to sift through this mess).

2) Is there a way to rely on some free options and give folks a sabbatical to decompress? Maybe rolling sabbaticals. But we're not at the point where people are tired/frustrated with their job - but rather they're facing burn out. I must've heard this somewhere (apologies to whomever) but being tired is like needing a gas refill - being burnt out is analogous to needing a whole new engine. It takes a lot of active hard work (and I'm willing to bet that everyone already had their own personal lives - friends, families, heartache, health, etc - so, people really need an extended time to decompress, take the time to explore the deeper feelings (and how it affected them) and then what they would need to move forward in a healthy system. That should be a 1-2 year staggered project management plan.

3) I'd get a consulting firm to come in, do a finding of facts, present info - and then work, systematically, to keep the essence of this world going while also intentionally putting up guardrails that should've been there. I'm more than happy to help support this larger Disney Universe if that stuff is happening! And what I mean is a consultant who can look at the history and get information, tell you what should've happened or could've, help you figure out next steps - and also help your next iteration is a clean break from this era of this entity.

Lots of care to Tyler too. Quite honestly, and I realize I'm not anyone special, but here is some free advice re: upcoming next moves for the company (but not about PW - because you all have contracts, etc to figure out):

1) Allow, coordinate, and pay for, staff to receive significant counseling (preferably during work hours, if they so desire - in part, they shouldn't have to use their personal time to sift through this mess).

2) Is there a way to rely on some free options and give folks a sabbatical to decompress? Maybe rolling sabbaticals. But we're not at the point where people are tired/frustrated with their job - but rather they're facing burn out. I must've heard this somewhere (apologies to whomever) but being tired is like needing a gas refill - being burnt out is analogous to needing a whole new engine. It takes a lot of active hard work (and I'm willing to bet that everyone already had their own personal lives - friends, families, heartache, health, etc - so, people really need an extended time to decompress, take the time to explore the deeper feelings (and how it affected them) and then what they would need to move forward in a healthy system. That should be a 1-2 year staggered project management plan.

3) I'd get a consulting firm to come in, do a finding of facts, present info - and then work, systematically, to keep the essence of this world going while also intentionally putting up guardrails that should've been there. I'm more than happy to help support this larger Disney Universe if that stuff is happening! And what I mean is a consultant who can look at the history and get information, tell you what should've happened or could've, help you figure out next steps - and also help your next iteration is a clean break from this era of this entity.

I would be shocked if they do anything remotely close to any of this. It seems clear that the plan is to move forward like nothing has happened and criticize anyone who dares to suggest they could have handled things better.

But it might also just all be a moot point. We get more and more info by the day; by the HOUR it seems. Who knows how much farther there is to fall...

It's looking less and less likely that it's possible to come back from all of this.

First and foremost, my heart goes out to the victims involved here and hope we as a community keep them in primary focus. If there is any way to legitimately support them, I too would like to participate. For the others (like DIS staff) who are or will be impacted by this situation directly or indirectly, you have my heartfelt sympathies. This community has given me great joy over the years and I think like many of you I am working through the cycle of emotions from disbelief to acceptance to anger and sadness as I read the posts and allegations. Not to sound overdramatic but it's a cycle of grief, but it's nothing compared to the reports of what the victims allegedly experienced.

John's official statement today (not his post which I also had challenges with) made it clear for me that while it may be in process, PW is not yet fully divested from the businesses. I would imagine the legalities of a separation agreement in light of some of these allegations are taking some time and am not sure if we will know that outcome. They will likely say it's a private matter but it's in the Company's best interests to put this out if they can when they can.

I will say I am very surprised this story hasn't gotten the attention of local media or even national media (or at least none I have noticed) as of yet and think there is a real imminent possibility of that in the coming days. I know they don't need my advice but FWIW I would strongly suggest the leadership team left at DUL/Dis immediately get some very experienced PR people to help them navigate this, in addition to a good legal team and maybe even an HR leader or HR consultant to show you are taking this with the utmost gravity it deserves. This isn't the first or last company to face allegations like this and roadmaps exist (unfortunately) for how to work through these crises and this is a pivotal moment that puts it all on the line. I realize this must be incredibly difficult but the Company's statements today did not leave me with great confidence for the future and path forward. You owe it to your employees and customers to do better.

Again, I end as I started, with the real victims in mind and hoping they get the help they need, and then hoping this Company gets every safeguard in place that to ensure this can never happen again.

Hi friends,

Dustin

I’m at a total loss for words @Dustin I am so sorry that this happened to you. What more can you say to someone like this? The only thing I can say is you have my support, admiration, and love.

Dustin
Completely understand and would never be so bold as to disagree with you or suggest that your feelings and mental health are not what matters most. I think the issue some people are having is that, prior to today, both you and Sean were adamant that no one else knew what was happening behind closed doors (or at least none of your fellow employees).

With the latest revelation regarding Charles and what he knew and when, you can no longer join in that assertion. If Werner told Charles what was happening to you, then he may have shared his behavior towards Sean or other victims with others or Charles, (who seems like a real piece of work) could have blabbed, as it seems that kind of behavior is right up his alley. Again, no one is doubting your belief that no one else knew what Werner was doing to you, but it now seems that some truths regarding other individuals WERE known, but the secrets closely held.

Last edited:
I would be shocked if they do anything remotely close to any of this. It seems clear that the plan is to move forward like nothing has happened and criticize anyone who dares to suggest they could have handled things better.

But it might also just all be a moot point. We get more and more info by the day; by the HOUR it seems. Who knows how much farther there is to fall...

It's looking less and less likely that it's possible to come back from all of this.
Unfortunately, given the state of the world these days, I don’t have faith in any long term consequences. While it is reassuring to see many posters being passionate in support of the victims, in the grand scheme of site traffic most of the vacation planner people don’t know or will shrug it off as irrelevant to their needs. Dozens of people, the ones participating in this thread may leave, to be replaced by someone new with a vacation planning question. Just like the mods have come and gone, or other valuable contributors have come and gone.

It will be like those movie scenes where somebody gets shot, everyone looks up and after a short pause the majority return back to what they were doing. Leaving only the protagonists affected by what just happened.

Every time I check, it gets worse. Dustin, please know that we all support and stand with you. And all of his victims.

I used to have so much respect for Pete and that is all gone. He deserves every bit of what he has coming to him. It truly makes me sick.

Regarding John’s statement, of course he shouldn’t be getting death threats or whatever nastiness is being made on various social media sites. But his posts on social media are tone-death, and don’t instill a sense of security in supporters and customers. The official statement did NOT help.

We all can get behind not being able to say much because of legal counsel and recommendation. No one is angry about that. Like others here, the one paragraph is what has people upset. Myself included.

Dreams and the DIS need to be better. Everyone working there needs to do better. This stuff happened for YEARS and to multiple people. There is financial fraud happening. Assaults. Abuse of all kinds. This happened under this company’s watch. They must ensure that people are safe, moving forward. They must do better and we must demand that.

Regarding John’s statement, of course he shouldn’t be getting death threats or whatever nastiness is being made on various social media sites.
To keep things real, his exact quote was: "mean, nasty and threatening". If anyone was issuing anything close to threats even approaching anything physical (which I absolutely hope is not the case), you have to believe he would have led with that. It's not something you just lump in after "mean" and "nasty". Nastiness, well...

To keep things real, his exact quote was: "mean, nasty and threatening". If anyone was issuing anything close to threats even approaching anything physical (which I absolutely hope is not the case), you have to believe he would have led with that. It's not something you just lump in after "mean" and "nasty". Nastiness, well...
I went to look, and if he is getting threatening messages, I sure didn’t see them. Everyone simply stating what is being said here and on the other site. I agree with you completely.

The other team members have handled criticism much better in their statements, from what I’ve seen. Recognizing that people are upset and angry, and asking for some grace. John’s statement is completely defensive, which does not instill confidence at all.

Charles Boda here:

Pete confessed to me the truth of what he did to you after almost two years of villainizing you as the one who "broke his heart." Here is how that played out:

As most DIS fans know, I have a felony. What they don't realize is that the "domestic partner" everyone thinks I stabbed was actually an abusive roomate who drugged my drinks and sexually assaulted me. We were never in a relationship, and although I suspected he was obsessed with me, I wasn't entirely aware of the assaults until he showed me pictures of them. I vomitted. The next time he put his hands on me I defended myself. My abuser even tried to visit me in jail to get me to move back into the apartment we shared. Instead, I became homeless but my abuser continued to stalk me for months.

Cut to a few years later. I was living in Pete's spare bedroom and working for the DIS. Pete was my sponsor in an addiction recovery program. He was sitting in his office with me and explained his true behavior to you in some detail. No one else on staff knew, and they likely believed his fictional account of how you "broke his heart."

I told Pete what he did to you was essentially what my abuser did to me. Pete replied that he decided to be my sponsor (after initially thinking I was hot and then finding out I was straight) because helping me would be making amends for what he did to you. This was an emotionally damaging revelation (I was his penance for abusing someone else) and I felt like a fool for letting another abuser get close to me. I did not give him the judgement-free response he thought he was owed. After 3 days of checking my bathroom for hidden cameras (he admitted he had used them before), I moved out of the house but could not afford to quit the DIS.

I continued working and tried not to focus on what I knew about him. I didn't want to be homeless again after so much work turning my life around. I was scared and confused. Eventually, on a trip to DL, I lwt Pete know I was upset that he was involved in fat-shaming Kevin and John at a work dinner without them present. Pete does not accept any criticism from anyone, so he immediately cut me off from certain jobs responsibilities. I spoke with my girlfriend about his behavior when I got home and she helped me confrot what I'd been trying to block out the entire time. Pete is a narcissistic sexual predator who controls eveyone he knows, friends, family, employees, by getting them on his payroll somehow and using his money to exert power over them. Things that were treated normal by Pete ("take close-up pictures of that hot singer at at Tiana's Place, I'm gonna ask the Maitre D' if I can get a private meeting. They know who I am here.) that we'd just avoid and get back to our real work suddenly couldn't be avoided.

Once I faced that reality, I couldn't pretend anymore. I couldn't even look Pete in the face without revulsion. I refused to be controlled, left the DIS, and went freelance.

I internally debated coming out openly about what I had learned, but telling my story meant telling yours. I didn't think it was right to bring you into a public discussion. The internet can be very cruel and victimshaming.

Please forgive my lack of communication, but I have a lot of PTSD about what happened to me by my abuser and then Pete's confession after years of lying to me to gain my trust.

While working for the DIS I loved my job and my coworkers. Few people enabled Pete, most folks were just controlled or extorted by him. There are a lot of victims to go around.

I don't know if this reply will see the light of day. Life has been much more healthy and happy since I left the DIS. I don't want to open up Pandora's box of internet cruelty. Even if I have, I guess it's important to remember what was at the bottom of that mythical box after all the negative forces were set loose on the world: Hope.

I hope you're well. I hope you forgive my silence. I hope someone, somehow, learns from this.

TLDR: I knew, Pete confessed to me, I'm sorry
Charles - I was so upset when you left. I wish you had felt comfortable letting everyone know why at the time. Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter