Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
i may have missed this detail when i looked at dustins posts.
Was it common knowledge amongst the team, let alone viewers, that they were a "couple"? Or as far as the team knew, they would just do things like share a room to "save money"?
The gist I am getting from people is that rooms were not always shared with Pete. JL posted on her IG. She said that she saw things, was suspicious of Pete’s intentions, she heard rumors from people who worked there and some that did not work there. She thought at some point there was something going on between the two of them and also noticed Dustin was drinking a lot like right after boarding a plane for company travel and at the office. Working with Pete was like working your dream job in a nightmare.

This is where I am wondering where things go forward. Obviously, nobody knows at this point. But, these boards and DU will not survive if PW continues to be an owner and financially benefitting from them. So, it seems obvious that John, Corey and the other owners would be interested in buying him out of his share. But, that assumes 2 big things...they are in a financial position to do so, and that Pete agrees to sell. I don't see Pete going down without a fight. The narcissism level is too high for him to admit any wrongdoing. If he doesn't agree to sell, then what?
How do you buy someone out when you are not sure about the future value of the company? I am sure as this story spreads it will not help bookings. I would not pay Pete a nickel right now. I would sue him first. You have someone that is accused of abusing and bullying the employees. Potentially committing fraud against the company with AMEX and God knows what else. Something like this could hurt their relationship with Disney, Universal, etc. And if the vlogs are not able to capture and convert views into bookings that will impact profits as well. It may take a while to see the effects of this. Just a thought.

I was wondering about whether to post or not. I have listened/watched the DisUnplugged for a long time on and off. It was the first podcast I ever listened to in around 2007. The podcast and these boards were a huge part of my life for many years, and I made some lovely friends. I remember Bob passing away, Ferris and Finley being born (and meeting Ferris when he was tiny) and the move from audio to YouTube. Life became too busy to post regularly, but I continued to watch, especially when I had trips planned. I even became a patreon subscriber over the pandemic as I felt so awful for them in such difficult circumstances.

I found out about this through Reddit last week, and feel so sorry that the community I loved has caused so much pain for some of the people that worked there. I’m sorry that it’s taken all this for their voices to be heard. I believe you, and I hope that the validation from the community here helps your healing in some small part.

As someone who has had some awful bosses in the past (but none as bad as this!), I can understand how hard it must’ve been (and still be) for the wider Dis team. Bad bosses have a way of making truly abnormal behaviour and dynamics become the norm. You become so adept at working to steady a constantly rocking boat, that you forget who is the one creating the motion. It’s often not until you’ve been out of a situation for a few years that you realise how wrong it was and how much of a shell of a person you become.

I’m glad all these things are finally coming out into the open, but I also feel desperately sad that it’s in these circumstances that I see all these familiar names again.

Which that transition seems far too smooth considering the “dog pile storm” everything else is right now. Or am I the only one that is side eyeing that situation to pieces?
I think the general consensus (with zero actual evidence or confirmation from anyone actually involved) is that DVCfan was probably already “sold off” before Dustin really dropped the bomb, to help pay for the AMEX mess.
The timing is probably just really coincidental.

Which that transition seems far too smooth considering the “dog pile storm” everything else is right now. Or am I the only one that is side eyeing that situation to pieces?
I think it’s really straightforward. WoDVC had money and wanted a propaganda arm with a built in base, Pete needed money and owned one. Buyer meet seller.

I just have to say based on past policies I am STUNNED they are allowing the things shared on this thread. I have to assume there has been instructions by someone to leave things be for the most part.
I am shocked too. It’s likely possible this one of the things in the works that they are implementing changes to possibly from here on out?

i imagine we'll get something after the California event. They cant NOT do another live show without acknowledging the elephant in the room.

Also, funny thing about all this...
there's still a HUGE amount of listeners/viewers who have no idea about all this.
Not everyone is on disboards, checks youtube comments, etc.
And the Dis isn't huge enough to have it be a trending topic on facebook/twitter, so it hasn't exactly blown up there.
So if you're not as plugged in, this is just not on your radar.

I haven't been on disboards in a while, but i do still listen to the main show and Universal Edition weekly (more so audio than the video version).
If i hadn't opened youtube to see Ryno was doing a livestream when i did the other night, i would still be in the dark about all this.
Same kinda. I only started paying very close attention to the chat on the most recent Dis unplugged episode/after show… and boy did that open up a ginormous can of worms for me. especially one who does not engage in the disboards until now

Ive seen a number of people reference the live chat on the last 2 Tuesdays shows. I was one of the people posting in the live chat on both weeks trying to highlight and make people aware of the current situation.
i was too. and the initial reaction from the superfans was "oh who are these trolls in here"

but whatever, i knew and they didn't (at the time). I expected that reaction. it was a weird situation and you can't expect people to just believe you right out of the gate.

i was too. and the initial reaction from the superfans was "oh who are these trolls in here"

but whatever, i knew and they didn't (at the time). I expected that reaction. it was a weird situation and you can't expect people to just believe you right out of the gate.

I tried to be clever about it , but once I saw that they were letting the chat with very little moderation I guessed that that was their way of acknowledging what was going on without actually saying anything themselves.

I felt sorry for those in the chat calling us all trolls, I hope now they know whats going on and understand how serious it all is.

Ive seen a number of people reference the live chat on the last 2 Tuesdays shows. I was one of the people posting in the live chat on both weeks trying to highlight and make people aware of the current situation.
I hope that a gaggle of the webmasters will reconsider their former conduct and recognise that some of their responses and behaviours were disproportionate, indeed tantamount to bullying. I suggest that they were particularly harsh in their responses to those outside the USA. For example, one should not be banned or receive points for reminding people that Scotland and Wales are countries within the U.K., not states, or for pointing out a typographical error in a Dreams advert. I would argue for an amnesty, allowing participants formerly banned from the forum to rejoin and be welcomed. The Dis should draw a clear line between historic and future conduct and needs to be, and be seen to be, open and transparent, if they wish to survive.
The young men and women who have chosen to share their stories are extremely brave, but I think now is the time for them to consult lawyers and be guided by them, rather than publish anything that PW or others could use against them in any future legal proceedings.

Reading all these comments about moderation makes me semi believe that the mods have been enablers of the behaviour in question. Giving more power to the individual by making him more untouchable and accountable . I think the even the way this board is setup if reading how people questioned the departure of others is true should raise red flags about this board and those who have abused moderation power.
Mods didn't enable Pete's behavior. That goes a bit too far.

I think the general consensus (with zero actual evidence or confirmation from anyone actually involved) is that DVCfan was probably already “sold off” before Dustin really dropped the bomb, to help pay for the AMEX mess.
The timing is probably just really coincidental.
Absolutely. The announcement that DVCfan was sold came just a couple of days after the other story broke. There's no way that wasn't already in the works. Remember, the Amex case was filed months ago. We just didn't hear about it until now.

I hope that a gaggle of the webmasters will reconsider their former conduct and recognise that some of their responses and behaviours were disproportionate, indeed tantamount to bullying. I suggest that they were particularly harsh in their responses to those outside the USA. For example, one should not be banned or receive points for reminding people that Scotland and Wales are countries within the U.K., not states, or for pointing out a typographical error in a Dreams advert. I would argue for an amnesty, allowing participants formerly banned from the forum to rejoin and be welcomed. The Dis should draw a clear line between historic and future conduct and needs to be, and be seen to be, open and transparent, if they wish to survive.
The young men and women who have chosen to share their stories are extremely brave, but I think now is the time for them to consult lawyers and be guided by them, rather than publish anything that PW or others could use against them in any future legal proceedings.
I would agree with this. I remember reporting a troll on the Disers of Color thread who was posting racist and hurtful content. A few of us reported their posts.

To my shock, I got reprimanded by a Webmaster for this. My posts asking the troll to move along were deleted - and the racist posts did not get removed for quite some time.

It made me seriously question the views and values of the company.

This moment could be a line in the sand where John and Corey clearly communicate the values of the company to those volunteering as Webmasters and Mods. Might I add, this would also be a wonderful time to add some diversity to the staff. :)

Absolutely. The announcement that DVCfan was sold came just a couple of days after the other story broke. There's no way that wasn't already in the works. Remember, the Amex case was filed months ago. We just didn't hear about it until now.
Yup. And their new FB background with “Sponsored by World of DVC” came out on 7/17, 10 days before their official announcement. It was indeed already rolling

Thanks for doing that. I am one of the people who didn’t know until I saw the chat and it lead me down the rabbit hole …

I tried to be clever about it , but once I saw that they were letting the chat with very little moderation I guessed that that was their way of acknowledging what was going on without actually saying anything themselves.

I felt sorry for those in the chat calling us all trolls, I hope now they know whats going on and understand how serious it all is.
I honestly do too. To be fair to them, there is a good sized gaggle of trolls that likes to show up every week. They could never have known that it wasn’t some kind of troll pile on without being privy to what some of us had already seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter