• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
And many of them.
Dogpile was so awesome back in the day. But I was never really a fan of Ask Jeeves.

But in all seriousness (and maybe this is unfair since some of us are getting info from other sites), I read one of the updates (number 3, I believe) and I was (and still am) literally sick to my stomach. Holy Hidden Mickeys was there a surreal amount of unhealthy communication from someone with power and it's heartbreaking. I do wish that we had a different culture where we could check in and say, "Things seem off - is everything okay?" but even then, we may not explicitly get that they're not. It's not meant to be a comparison or piggy-backing - but I'll speak from one of my experiences: as a kid, I was abused by a parent. I did have friends in middle and high school who would say, "What we're seeing isn't okay." and I would just be like, "I don't know what you mean" because that's how power and abuse often works. But even then, there were people who definitely could tell something was up that could've done more (not my peers - but adults). And that's what often feels frustrating - where the guardrails don't hold (or there are literally none - and in this setting, it seems like there were none). Lots of love to the people who've had to swallow such difficult things for so long.

I'm not sure why you're responding to me. My comment was regrading a random post that wandered off into comparing modern society to Maoist China...
Because you initially responded to my post that quoted that post. It's just a function of how the message board system works.

Out of respect for Dustin, I will personally stop questioning the team and wait for an official response going forward.

Also, after watching Ryno's latest video, I do believe everything he's saying. You can't fake that emotion unless you're a true psychopath!

Last edited:
I wasn't sure I was going to add my voice to this conversation, but several other "old-timers" have turned up so I figured I would too. As you can see from my profile, I've been here for over 20 years. I have attended many DIS events and meets in Florida, PA, NJ, DE, MA, and VA. I've met and gotten to know all but a couple of the more recent additions to the team over the years and consider many of them to be friends. I've traveled with the team on a podcast cruise. I've been about as involved with the DIS as one can be.

Dustin and Sean, I am in awe of your inner strength coming forward with your stories. Thank you for that and I hope you are both in a much better place now and continue to heal and prosper going forward.

To the rest of the team, past and present, I have no doubt that you've all endured some level of abuse at Pete's hands, whether you even consciously acknowledge it or not. You can't spend years in a hostile workplace without being affected by those conditions. I also have no doubt that none of you are in any way responsible for this situation. That responsibility lies solely with Pete.

As others have said, the DIS has been an incredibly important part of our lives for over 2 decades now. We've made dozens of lifelong friends literally around the world (right @Princess Jes). The DIS introduced us to GKTW and we became volunteers there, which is challenging living in New Jersey but we've still managed to pick up shifts several times and look forward to doing more in the future. I hope that whatever comes next for the team, we never forget all the good that has come out of this. In absolutely no way does that excuse the horrific stuff that has happened, but I still greatly value the memories and relationships that have come from our association with the DIS.

We all want to know what happens next. I'm right there with you on that. But I totally understand that most likely nobody has those answers yet. I also understand that there are likely legal issues intertwined in all of this and people need to be careful about what they say. That doesn't mean they're being obtuse by choice. "I don't know" and "I'm not at liberty to say" are both perfectly valid answers to many of the questions currently being asked. I'm sure that when they have the answers and can share them, they will. Until then, I just want to express my support for everyone affected by this.

Well, as someone totally ignorant of planning a Disney vacation 9 years ago, and who has easily conquered “The World” many times since thanks to Disboards and later the DisUnplugged podcast, I am very sad that these are threatened. I just stopped my patreon support until I know for sure what I am supporting. I can’t pass judgement on anyone without a knowledge of the facts. I know money and power have corrupted many in the past. Hopefully all of this will be resolved without any fallout on those not at fault. But it won’t be resolved in this forum, for sure-

Because you initially responded to my post that quoted that post. It's just a function of how the message board system works.
I understand that, but it just came off as a non-sequitur., and I thought maybe you were responding to the wrong post.

It appears that my original post on Patreon is being criticized by plenty of people including @Tonyz particularly, so let me clarify. Dustin and Pete brought me into this company as a freelancer in late 2012 before going part-time in 2013 and then full-time. When I say I found out about the allegations (Dustin's) the same way as others, it's because it's the absolute truth as Dustin has clearly stated. And I was truly shocked. The DIS was an abnormal place to work from day one and something like Pete and Dustin dating was presented to me as consensual and normal. There was plenty of fighting along the way that seemed like red flags to me, but I'm never going to be one to judge anyone's relationship. When Dustin chose to leave, I supported him doing what was best for him.

You can choose whether or not to believe me when I say I was not aware of what happened with Dustin before or during my time working with The DIS even with Dustin saying flat out we didn't know. You can choose to believe me or not when I tell you that John told me he knows Dreams needs a bigger presence on the show and that means he and Kevin returning but they need a new studio because the reality is it's impossible for Kevin to navigate into a narrow door and down a narrow hallway into an extra bedroom that was our studio.

Right now, I'm just trying to do my job to the best of my ability and I'm waiting to hear more the same way everyone else is.
I've gone around with this poster and decided, it's just not worth wasting anymore of my time on them. Literally Dustin could show up at their house and say none of you knew and they still wouldn't believe him. They comment on everything have nothing to add but judgement. That does not help Dustin, Sean or anyone who has a story to share... or maybe not ready to share.

Energy needs to be spent on supporting all of you that are hurting. Of course we are all anxiously waiting to hear what comes next of The Dis. To me, you and Ryno are The Dis. As long as the two of you are a huge part of what comes next, I'll be tuning in.

Much love,
P.S. Would love to see an Off the Rail with you, Ryno and Julie..

Good grief, get over yourself. You don’t want to support them then leave the boards, drop Patreon, don’t use Dreams, etc. You have no ’right to know,’ since you are not part of this team. None of us do and the team has been good enough to give us a bit of information as they navigate their way through this.
Thank you for saying exactly what I have been thinking!!

I watched Ryno's video that he made last night. It is clear to me that he is just devastated. He barely could get out his words. He said he felt badly, like he should have known. But how could he have known? He's not a psychic. I felt so badly for him, I just wanted to give him a mama sized hug. My heart was hurting for him, and for Craig and for the whole team that is crushed by this. I really commend Dustin and Sean. They have shown amazing strength and determination to move on. And they're both in much better places now, which is what allowed them to expose the truth. I don't think any team member who isn't ready owes us anything right now. If and when others are ready to tell their stories, I'll be here to listen without judgement.

Oh, my....just oh, my.

Ryno's video is as chaotic as one would expect given the shock he's feeling after this scandal became known. I've not been able to watch much of it as yet. It's too anguishing to watch much at one time.

But, I admire Ryno's courage and devotion to his friend and former coworker that enabled him to do this video so soon after this became public.

You're clearly a better person, Ryno, than you may feel you are at the moment. May you find comfort in the knowledge that you are loved by so many fans of the show and those on these boards. :hug:

I'm just so sad.

The DIS, both the show and these boards, were such a huge part of my life from around 2014 through 2017. I posted way too often, watched (or listened to) every episode, and built connections with people I didn't even know, both through the boards and with those on camera as well.

So I'm sad that something that brought me so much joy, especially during times when I really needed it, had behind it such a dark cloud that was invisible to nearly everyone. I'm grateful to Dustin and Sean for telling their stories, and I support current (and former) team members who were just doing their jobs without completely knowing what was going on. I'm sure that hearing the full extent of these details is leaving their stomachs in knots.

Pete was always the face of The DIS, but truth be told, everyone else was its heart. And it saddens me that those hearts, especially the hearts of the victims, have been broken in multiple ways.

I’m sorry, I don’t mean to harp on ya, Craig. I appreciate your comments - but this line has stuck with me for a couple hours.

First one all… we KNOW that someone else has a story like Dustin’s. We know Sean went through a very similar thing.

Second… if you claim you didn’t know about Dustin’s story, how can you say whether or not anyone else has/had a similar story?

I’m not trying to be a jerk. Just want to try and make as much sense as all of this as possible.
I’ve been feeling the same. The chat on the Dis show 7/18 had this news in it. Was being removed. So someone was aware. I believe the depth of this is new to a certain level. However the door of new company’s mixed with new men isn’t a new PW pattern. It was worse after Covid ending with his engagement/rehab and quick end of him being on the show. John isn’t messing around. So MAYBE everyone was in the dark up until that show. But there for sure has been at least a solid week of people knowing. “Something” wasn’t the same as it was.

I am not at all surprised to hear that Pete was a terrible person to work for. Just based on how he would talk to and treat his employees on air told me that he had to be even worse behind the scenes. And I have to admit that his penchant for hiring young guys that he was in a relationship with was a red flag also. However, I never for a minute would have thought that he was actually committing any kind of assault. So I can see where the team would be blindsided by that. It’s one thing to be an abusive boss, but it’s quite another to be committing SA.

This sums it up for me. I joined the Disboards 22 years ago. Before social media this was my daily online hangout. Listened to the podcast from the beginning (back when you needed an actual iPod 😆)

I liked Pete’s persona and his rants were of course entertaining but it always struck me as odd that he did so much “in house” dating. Or even for people that he wasn’t (openly) dating, he’d be fawning over them one day and the next they’re gone and any posts mentioning them are getting deleted.

And the little jokes he’d sometimes make at the expense of the team. It was clear they don’t have an HR department!

There has been so much turnover on the show over the years from what should be a “dream job.” Was the ranting, acerbic persona that entertained us just one side of a more toxic coin?

Dustin, you were always my favorite member of the team. I remember watching that final episode with you and could feel in my gut that something had happened. Thank you for your bravery. It’s good to “see” you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter