Disappointed - Polynesian construction

Move to a different hotel.

Disney needs to start DRAMATICALLY discounting resorts impacted by construction projects. It's absolutely insane to me that they charge what they do while lying about the times the nosie will be heard and charging guests rack rates. Same thing happened to us at Beach Club. They were drilling and hammering at 7:30am when they said it wouldn't start until 9am.
It's beyond criminal how they can charge $700+/night for rooms that have direct views of construction sites and you can hear sounds of drilling and hammering at 7 am.

Note to self: remember the phrase “Manager On Duty” if everything goes south at a Disney hotel…

Along this line of thought, you should receive an email on check in day from the Resort General Manager, welcoming you to the hotel. In that email, there will be a blue button that says "provide feedback" or something similar. At the end of the email, the manager asks you to use that button to contact her if anything needs attention during your stay.

I used it at Beach Club last month. When we checked in, our first room did not have the bedding setup we needed and so I had to get us moved to a different room. No big deal, and they were able to accommodate us.

However, that next room had exactly two functioning outlets in it (the one next to the bathroom and the one next to the coffee maker). Every single built in one would not hold plugs at all (they'd just fall out) and had broken USB slots and the wall outlets were all loose/wobbly to the point where the plug would disappear INTO the wall as you tried to plug things in. Given the number of devices and magic bands we needed to charge up every night, this was not going to work. I used the button to "complain" about the broken outlets and the next morning, there was a knock at 8am from a maintenance man ready to change out ALL our outlets. I asked him politely to come back in 2 hours and he was in our room upon returning from our afternoon grocery run. Turns out he had to REALLY remove the old wall outlets and replace them entirely, requiring turning off power to our room completely. In the end, it took him 2 hours to do this job (although only 30 minutes after we arrived back, he was done). And voila, functioning outlets. We also noticed the toilet was leaking and they fixed that too.

I received a call from the maintenance manager later that afternoon making sure everything now worked properly.

While I was initially REALLY annoyed at how a resort room that had JUST been fully refurbished had such old and broken outlets in it, the response from that email was swift and satisfactory.

I have heard similar stories about this email feedback feature.

If course, if you need immediate help, the front desk is best. You can always ask to speak to the Resort General Manager as a last ditch attempt if all else fails.

It's beyond criminal how they can charge $700+/night for rooms that have direct views of construction sites and you can hear sounds of drilling and hammering at 7 am.
Criminal is a bit harsh seeing that not one is forcing you to book a hotel room in a resort that has construction. There are only 20 or so other Disney resorts your can choose. I paid 600+ to stay at Portofino Bay while construction was going on should we add them to the list.

Criminal is a bit harsh seeing that not one is forcing you to book a hotel room in a resort that has construction. There are only 20 or so other Disney resorts your can choose. I paid 600+ to stay at Portofino Bay while construction was going on should we add them to the list.
Okay I didn't mean criminal as in "Disney should go to prison for this." I was being hyperbolic. Still, Polynesian standard view rooms go for at least $700 and these rooms should be heavily discounted if your room is right in front of the construction. I would have zero issue with the construction if my room was significantly cheaper.

So I"m wondering: if they discount a room due to construction, would that be equal to a "dumpster/parking lot" view? So price the construction rooms as the lowest view, but that opens a can of worms, what if the person in another building can lean out, over the balcony and "see" the construction, do they get a discount?

What exactly are they supposed to do? It's not like they were hiding the fact that construction was going on.
At least act like they care. It makes a huge difference when someone if upset if the person acts sympathetic, even if they can't fix it. And more practically, you could see what other rooms were available around property.

his was my view last month. It can always be worse! But seriously escalate it and talk to someone higher up to at least get a resort cresit. They gave me a little something for this view. FWIW I still had an amazing time and love the resort but I am also super interested in construction so for me it was almost exciting to watch the construction happen in real time.
Is it odd I would be more upset about all that rain than the view lol?

So I"m wondering: if they discount a room due to construction, would that be equal to a "dumpster/parking lot" view? So price the construction rooms as the lowest view, but that opens a can of worms, what if the person in another building can lean out, over the balcony and "see" the construction, do they get a discount?

IMO, if you have noise intrusion inside your room with all doors closed, you deserve a discount. It's not about seeing construction, it's about it actually having a negative impact on your ability to rest/sleep in your room.

Is it odd I would be more upset about all that rain than the view lol?

In July when it rains...it RAINS. We're used to that by now lol. That view that day made me chuckle a bit because I had always wanted to stay at Poly and this was finally our first time and....that view! Noise wise though it wasn't too bad plus we're out of the room much of the day. But it stinks that they can charge so much and give people a room next to a major construction site.

Last edited:
This was my view last month. It can always be worse! But seriously escalate it and talk to someone higher up to at least get a resort cresit. They gave me a little something for this view. FWIW I still had an amazing time and love the resort but I am also super interested in construction so for me it was almost exciting to watch the construction happen in real time.
View attachment 787583
I just can not pay $800 a night and wake up to that...can't do it.

Thank you for all your advice. I emailed Disney and we were meant to hear from 'Front Desk Leadership' as an urgent matter but never did.

I will leave a review on Trip Advisor as work was starting most days well before 9am.

My issues wasn't simply the noise but the lack of customer service. To be honest I really don't like complaining and didn't like having to explain why I wasn't happy having to move to worse rooms.

I'll post again if I do ever hear from Front Desk Leadership.

Start after 7am? And finish at 5pm? Honestly no issue with the noise during the day but the insane hours it's been happening.
Don't know exactly where your home is, but the three towns I've lived in all had "quiet hour" laws prohibiting noise between 9pm and 7am, so Disney's construction hours don't seem particularly unreasonable to me. I DID complain once to the concierge at Bay Lake Tower when they power washed the front sidewalk at 6am on December 26 when MK had been open until midnight the night before and we had a 3rd floor room facing the check-in loop.

I’m sorry, OP. To me, it sounds like you went in with reasonable expectations, but got faced with a very different reality. I’m a rope drop person and would have assumed that I’d be out and about all day and not bothered by construction noise … it never would have occurred to me that it would go past 5:00pm-ish.

I totally in that someone has to get the crappy rooms. But I do t understand why they don’t heavily discount them. Give people the option to pay less and know that they will have a crappy room. This would be easier on the CM too because they would have less people complaining
We all know the why, let’s not prented otherwise. Profit is the priority.

We all know the why, let’s not prented otherwise. Profit is the priority.
It's just poor management that is oblivious. Someone who manages the Polynesian (and has the power to change things) needs to walk around and notice things. Hmmmm... would I want to stay in this room if the view is construction? What would make people in these rooms the happiest? Free seating and food at Trader Sam's? Closing off that room completely? Put a sound system with Polynesian music outside so you can't hear the construction as much? Hmmm... Their system of customer complaints is not working. A customer complains, it's probably put in a spreadsheet with thousands of other complaints, then not dealt with - or not understood because they didn't experience it.

Just like getting off the monorail or boats at the TTC after dark and trying to get to the Polynesian. First, it's super dark. No clue where you're going until you've done it at least once. There should be something like maybe a lighted pineapple at the start of the trail. Second, I've seen open exits from the TTC very close to the Poly trail and along comes a Disney guard and says you can't exit there and makes us all exit near the middle and the trams. There is no management seeing that this is an inconvenience to guests. Extra unnecessary walking when we've walked all day. Someone in management needs to go to the parks and experience things like this.

Don't know exactly where your home is, but the three towns I've lived in all had "quiet hour" laws prohibiting noise between 9pm and 7am, so Disney's construction hours don't seem particularly unreasonable to me. I DID complain once to the concierge at Bay Lake Tower when they power washed the front sidewalk at 6am on December 26 when MK had been open until midnight the night before and we had a 3rd floor room facing the check-in loop.
The website says activities which create noise will not start earlier then 9a.

Under those circumstances it's reasonable to start at 7a? NOT

Move me or comp the room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter