Disappointed Platinum Member

As for booking tours and dinners at the 120 day mark as long as a platinum person is in the party you can book for all the people linked to your reservation (Palo, Shore Excursions, etc....) what you will not be able to do is book you son and his girlfriend palo by themselves at 120 days they will have to wait till the 105 day mark.
Not quite. If the two rooms are different levels (one Platinum, the other new cruiser, in this case) the Platinum room can book their excursions/adult dining/etc at 120 days, the new cruiser cannot be added to the reservations until 75 days (when their window opens). DCL closed that loophole about a year or so ago.

I have no sympathy--you get what you paid for and/or earned--family members, friends, acquaintances etc who did not do either have no right to Platinum perks.

Not looking for sympathy, from you, or anyone else. I just think it's a strange policy, that's all. I spring for an extra cabin and have benefits reduced in so doing. If I ran a business, I would probably try to set policies that rewarded people for spending more money with me. In this case, I would have been rewarded for spending less.

Disney seems like a "least common denominator" company in their policies. Other companies are "highest common denominator" in their policies. I prefer the latter. If you prefer a "least common denominator" approach, that's fine with me.

Trust me, I'll be OK.

I liked WDW more often when I could get there early and pull a bunch of fast passes. I know some people thought that was unfair. No problem. Disney went the least common denominator route, and now gives everyone 3 per day. I can adapt.

OP, it is actually a very logical policy because it is simple and to the point. You are not doing DCL a favor by booking more cabins with fewer in each. DCL would rather have 3 or 4 in each cabin than one or two. They make more money that way. They would surely have no problem selling any cabin you let go if you choose. You may see it as being rewarded for spending less, but DCL sees the bottom line and couldn't care less who pays for the cabins. They only want them booked and paid for with the maximum occupancy allowed until it reaches the lifeboat limits per area. But the Platinum "rules" are made to be clear and concise, not negotiable.

Geez... tough crowd.

I think it's ridiculous also. (And you *DO* have my sympathies having paid for your two rooms and only half of you getting on board early.)

OP, it is actually a very logical policy because it is simple and to the point. You are not doing DCL a favor by booking more cabins with fewer in each. DCL would rather have 3 or 4 in each cabin than one or two. They make more money that way. They would surely have no problem selling any cabin you let go if you choose. You may see it as being rewarded for spending less, but DCL sees the bottom line and couldn't care less who pays for the cabins. They only want them booked and paid for with the maximum occupancy allowed until it reaches the lifeboat limits per area. But the Platinum "rules" are made to be clear and concise, not negotiable.

Thank you for a rational, rather than emotional response.

I'm still trying to figure out why the OPs wife doesn't share his status?

Not intending to be snarky, but it's not that hard to figure out. He's probably cruised more times without her? Not every couple travels together. Or he met her after he started cruising with Disney.

Easy, she hasn't taken as many cruises on DCL as her husband. It was 4 years after I made platinum before my husband made platinum level- I took several cruises with my daughters while he stayed home as he was was tied up with work.

eskimo, I've been 6 times with my entire family, once with just my wife, twice with my son, and once by myself.

Now that my kids have different holiday breaks (one is in college, the other still in high school), vacations are getting kind of hard to take together.

I would probably go more if I could get more time off of work.

eskimo, I've been 6 times with my entire family, once with just my wife, twice with my son, and once by myself.

Now that my kids have different holiday breaks (one is in college, the other still in high school), vacations are getting kind of hard to take together.

I would probably go more if I could get more time off of work.
Not intending to be snarky, but it's not that hard to figure out. He's probably cruised more times without her? Not every couple travels together. Or he met her after he started cruising with Disney.

Easy, she hasn't taken as many cruises on DCL as her husband. It was 4 years after I made platinum before my husband made platinum level- I took several cruises with my daughters while he stayed home as he was was tied up with work.

I guess this is just another example of why Disney's loyalty program lags behind most other lines. On every other line we routinely sail, significant others inherit the loyalty level of the one with the most cruises. I guess we're the lucky ones on Disney - we both made platinum together since we always sail on Disney together. On the other lines she's sailed more than me on some, and I've sailed more than her on others, but we both have the loyalty tier status of whichever one of us has the most sailings.

I guess this is just another example of why Disney's loyalty program lags behind most other lines. On every other line we routinely sail, significant others inherit the loyalty level of the one with the most cruises. I guess we're the lucky ones on Disney - we both made platinum together since we always sail on Disney together. On the other lines she's sailed more than me on some, and I've sailed more than her on others, but we both have the loyalty tier status of whichever one of us has the most sailings.
I know. My mother-in-law married a man who has Elite status on Princess. While she had cruised Princess herself, she was nowhere near that level. But she is now.

I guess DCL figures that spouses (significant others) would be in the same room with the highest level member (not split up), and therefor would get those perks. Again, making it easier to say "only those in the same room as the Platinum get the perks".

I think you must be pretty terrific for taking your son's girlfriend on a cruise. And trying your best to make her feel comfortable and welcomed. What a sweetheart. :)

That is all I have to add on this and I hope you have 2 wonderful cruises!

Disney in general does not seem to have much in the way of perks for returning customers. There isn't a loyalty program for the hotels, and I do agree with OP that the cruise loyalty perks are not awesome.

However, I still think the perk of boarding early is a weak perk because it doesn't enhance the cruise experience. It may save you a few minutes, but not enough to make me say, wow, I can't wait until I get to be platinum!

I'm not trying to start an argument but I just don't get why perks are so important to some. I don't sail Disney for my entitled Platinum perks. I choose a certain cruise because of destination and/or I like cruising with that particular cruise line. That is my priority and if they offer me something, great. If they don't that's ok, too. I look at perks as just an extra but not an incentive.

Regardless of the number of cabins booked, "Your" benefits as a Platinum cruiser do not change. Not one iota.
I'm not trying to start an argument but I just don't get why perks are so important to some. I don't sail Disney for my entitled Platinum perks. I choose a certain cruise because of destination and/or I like cruising with that particular cruise line. That is my priority and if they offer me something, great. If they don't that's ok, too. I look at perks as just an extra but not an incentive.

You are right - the "benefits" are incidental. It's kind of like going to school to get an education and getting a "senior skip" day.

Regardless of the number of cabins booked, "Your" benefits as a Platinum cruiser do not change. Not one iota.

Agree. But, in order to use the benefits (early booking of port adventures, early boarding) for my whole family,we have to all be in one room.
I get it. Shame on me for booking two cabins.

Not quite. If the two rooms are different levels (one Platinum, the other new cruiser, in this case) the Platinum room can book their excursions/adult dining/etc at 120 days, the new cruiser cannot be added to the reservations until 75 days (when their window opens). DCL closed that loophole about a year or so ago.

Question..... So if we are traveling with someone who is platinum and our reservations are linked. Do they just book a table for four for dining and only list themselves until we can add ourselves..... or do they book a dinner for two and then we make it a table for 4 when our booking window open up or does everyone have to wait till the lowest person can book to get a table for 4?

Question..... So if we are traveling with someone who is platinum and our reservations are linked. Do they just book a table for four for dining and only list themselves until we can add ourselves..... or do they book a dinner for two and then we make it a table for 4 when our booking window open up or does everyone have to wait till the lowest person can book to get a table for 4?

As I understand it, for Palo and Remy, you can only book for those in your room, until the window for those linked to you opens. For general dining (main dining rooms), I believe the dining would be set from the outset to have your linked group sit together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter