• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disabled guests - Special viewing areas?

baronjudd

Earning My Ears
Hi there,

Am I correct in saying that there are special areas for wheelchair users and thier families to watch the parades/shows from?
Has anyone got a list of where these are located in the 4 main parks and can anyone advise if they have good views?
Otherwise, what areas would you suggest are best to view the parades and shows for a family of four with one wheelchair (so no barriers I suppose!)

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

Your best source of info will be the park map. All the handicap viewing areas are well marked or just ask a cast member for directions.

Thanks for your reply. I am trying to find out as much as possible BEFORE hitting the parks. I want to get things planned out as we are coming from the UK and our time is precious. I would still like to know how good these areas are as well as their location. I've tried looking at online maps of the park but cannot find these areas highlighted.

Mark

The only hc viewing area that I don't like is the one in EPCOT for illuminations.
Depending on the wind it is almost always in the smoke when we go. so we always try to get a spot on the bridge between France and GB.

Usually the entire family will not be allowed into the viewing area--only the disabled [erson and one other party member.

Generally works out fine, but we had an issue at Epcot when I was a wheelchair guest, it was myself, my 11 year old special needs son, and my husband. They told us that either my son or husband had to leave, they couldn't allow two people to accompany me in the area. OK, so I either send DH away--he was the "pusher", I was unable to do this for myself after having a tumor removed from my siixth thoracic vertabrae, or send DS away. I tried to explain this to the CM, she wanted nothing to do with it. Got me so upset I just wanted to leave, but by that time I was so crowded in with people there was no way to get out.

Anne

ducklite said:
Usually the entire family will not be allowed into the viewing area--only the disabled [erson and one other party member.
We have found the same situation.
If it is very quiet, you may be allowed to bring your whole party into the special needs viewing area. But, when we have gone, we have been limmited to one person accompanying the person with a disability.
Also, the spaces tend to fill up quickly. Since my DD doesn't like being close to people or waiting, wee tend to not use the special needs viewing areas at all. Especially at Epcot, you can find good viewing spots all around the WS.

just curious...where would be a good place to watch fireworks in MK where they won't be too loud? My ds is very sensitive to some sounds....in fact, on the 4th of July, we can only watch fireworks on tv, but the sound must be off.

Is the one person rule seen at all the parks? The only place we have ever used the special viewing areas is MK - with all 4 of us. (I have also used at AK, but there were only the 2 of us that trip). No one ever said anything - and there were several LARGE groups one time too.

LisaB

LisaBi said:
Is the one person rule seen at all the parks? The only place we have ever used the special viewing areas is MK - with all 4 of us. (I have also used at AK, but there were only the 2 of us that trip). No one ever said anything - and there were several LARGE groups one time too.

LisaB
It's not a rule, actually, but is somthing you should expect could happen. It's at the discretion of the CMs.
It is dependent on how busy it is and how assertive the CM is about filling the space. Since they have limited amount of space, if they fill it with people who do not have disabilities, that means there is less space for people who do have disabilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter