Disability Access Service Card at Magic Kingdom

Zelo187

Earning My Ears
Hi,
I know that no one here for sure can tell me whether I qualify for a DAS card and that it will be up to the Cast Member that I speak to at Guest Relations, but I still wanted to ask what was the experience of others who have similar medical problems as me when trying to get a DAS card issued.

I have an autoimmune disorder when I get over heated, I could potentially pass out. Additionally, the sun/heat cause me pain and are triggers that can make my autoimmune condition worse. I really want to prevent that as my condition causes organ damage (it has already done some damage to my kidneys.) Also, there are time when I need to use the bathroom and can not wait, so I'm afraid of losing my place in line if I have to wait in a long, physical line.

Having a return time for the DAS would allow me to wait somewhere out of the sun and with air conditioning. I'd also be able to access bathrooms during this time.

I'm worried about the Cast Member telling me that ride lines are covered/indoors and denying me the DAS card as I know that when lines get long, they can extend past the point where the line is covered/indoors.

Once again, I know that I cannot get a definite answer here, but has anyone here had experience requesting a DAS card with issues similar to mine? Thank you.

Just make sure you have a backup plan in case you can't find a place to wait - right now there's no shaded/AC places that you can wait in automatically. You might have to wait outside a store for your turn to go in and you can't sit at a table without food purchased. You might have to wait in a bathroom or walk across the park to first aid. Are you planning on going soon? You might want to wait until COVID restrictions are gone so it's easier to get the shade/AC you need.

:welcome: to our little corner of The DIS! 🙂

I'm not going to address your question specifically, but I have a "sun allergy" (I don't burn, I blister within 15 minutes of constant exposure) that is part and parcel of my own autoimmune issue.

Be sure to read this thread: Shady wait / alternate wait? for some ideas about how to help mitigate sun and heat issues. You are not alone in trying to deal with this, and there is a lot of great information in that thread, and scattered around this board.

I am also very sensitive to heat (autoimmune, too!). Just in terms of strategies in addition to the DAS - the chilly towels are a huge help for me. I have the frog tog kind. You may also want to consider a personal fan and an umbrella to block some of the sun. And if you didn't know, you can get a cup of water at no charge from counter service spots around the parks. That helps with hydration.

Hi,
I know that no one here for sure can tell me whether I qualify for a DAS card and that it will be up to the Cast Member that I speak to at Guest Relations, but I still wanted to ask what was the experience of others who have similar medical problems as me when trying to get a DAS card issued.

I have an autoimmune disorder when I get over heated, I could potentially pass out. Additionally, the sun/heat cause me pain and are triggers that can make my autoimmune condition worse. I really want to prevent that as my condition causes organ damage (it has already done some damage to my kidneys.) Also, there are time when I need to use the bathroom and can not wait, so I'm afraid of losing my place in line if I have to wait in a long, physical line.

Having a return time for the DAS would allow me to wait somewhere out of the sun and with air conditioning. I'd also be able to access bathrooms during this time.

I'm worried about the Cast Member telling me that ride lines are covered/indoors and denying me the DAS card as I know that when lines get long, they can extend past the point where the line is covered/indoors.

Once again, I know that I cannot get a definite answer here, but has anyone here had experience requesting a DAS card with issues similar to mine? Thank you.
When is your trip? Honestly, it sounds like you and I may have the same problem (at least the main one since these things often come in multiples), and I am also very concerned! I've been going to Disney for decades, but this is a new issue for me, so I will have to find a new way to make this work because I can't give up Disney! Obviously, it will be much easier to navigate once fast passes return and social distancing goes away. My trip is in a few weeks, so I'd be happy to let you know how things go for me if yours is later. I realize going earlier would've been better since it is cooler, but as has been said on other threads here before, sometimes that just doesn't work out! My daughter is a junior in high school with a lot of honors classes so we have to wait until she gets out of school. I've gotten a lot of good tips from various threads in this forum so you might want to read a bit. The one that @mamabunny mentioned was very helpful!

Just make sure you have a backup plan in case you can't find a place to wait - right now there's no shaded/AC places that you can wait in automatically. You might have to wait outside a store for your turn to go in and you can't sit at a table without food purchased. You might have to wait in a bathroom or walk across the park to first aid. Are you planning on going soon? You might want to wait until COVID restrictions are gone so it's easier to get the shade/AC you need.
There are indoor mask relief areas at every park, there are shops, additionally, let's say you are waiting for your turn on Jungle Cruise, you can go to the Tiki Room, Country Bears, etc. That are nearby and have little to no wait and with Country Bears, the wait is in air conditioning.

We were there in February and it really isn't as hard as you are making it out to be to find a shaded spot/air conditioning, you just might end up doing some things you might not normally do or maybe haven't done before and get some new experiences as a result. If all else fails, mobile order a drink or a snack at a restaurant with indoor tables. We never once had an issue finding somewhere to stay cool if we needed one.

Now granted, we don't have sun/heat issues, but are from California and even February in Florida is quite hot for us when the sun is out. So, we did seek out the AC when needed. Also, fans definitely help. There are also "personal Air conditioners" where you out ice and water in them and they blow the air over the water, essentially more of a personal swamp cooler. Cooling towels work well too. Something like a large rimmed hat or umbrella. If you also need an ECV, consider getting a sunshade on it. Some outside vendors like Gold Mobility will even include one at no extra cost.

I'm sure there are far more ideas in the perviously mentioned thread, just a few of ours.

Last edited:
Tiki Room depends on the show cycle (as does Country Bears) - so you may get there and have to wait for the previous show, which might have just started. The shops have limited access, or they did at the beginning of the COVID pandemic. That's why I suggested having a backup plan or to wait until COVID restrictions are lifted. There is only one indoor relaxation station in each park (from what I've seen online) so getting to AC may be a problem. There is also only one first aid station in each park - or does EPCOT have more? That.'s a lot of walking through the hot sun to get to the shade/AC.

Just trying to show that right now access to inside AC is very restricted, and not a quick process. If I had the condition described by the OP, I'd be concerned that I wouldn't have a shaded, cool place to rest when I needed one. We're still debating if we should go anytime soon, as I have to limit sun exposure as well, and get a handle on my PFD. Right now WDW is not easy to navigate for me, as there is no FP+ and hours are limited. Hoping things change soon, for all of us!

It really is going to matter when you are traveling SUMMER or FALL. I think you are going to find it will be easier, cooler, smoother.. to use the req queue. You would not need to move around in the heat just to find another place to sit.

Even though you may not normally; use a wheelchair or roller. This will allow you set up special 'area' with umbrella, fan.

Tiki Room depends on the show cycle (as does Country Bears) - so you may get there and have to wait for the previous show, which might have just started. The shops have limited access, or they did at the beginning of the COVID pandemic. That's why I suggested having a backup plan or to wait until COVID restrictions are lifted. There is only one indoor relaxation station in each park (from what I've seen online) so getting to AC may be a problem. There is also only one first aid station in each park - or does EPCOT have more? That.'s a lot of walking through the hot sun to get to the shade/AC.

Just trying to show that right now access to inside AC is very restricted, and not a quick process. If I had the condition described by the OP, I'd be concerned that I wouldn't have a shaded, cool place to rest when I needed one. We're still debating if we should go anytime soon, as I have to limit sun exposure as well, and get a handle on my PFD. Right now WDW is not easy to navigate for me, as there is no FP+ and hours are limited. Hoping things change soon, for all of us!
Honestly, the lack of FP+ made the trip so much more enjoyable, no preplanning every second of the day. No waking up at 4 AM local time to book FPs 60 days ahead of time. And being able to get pretty much right on every attraction when you return with no wait is incredible.

As far as AC, in February, never once did we have an issue when we needed it, none of the shops had a line to enter them and for Tiki Room, you would be waiting in the shade. Country Bears, waiting inside air conditioning, the queue was never outside the building, except right before the show was about to start, which meant you weren't waiting king outside, even if you didn't make it into that show time.

There are also lots of hidden shaded/air conditioned spots if you look for them.

And yes, there is only one indoor relaxation spot in each park, but they were never full. And the outdoor ones were always in the shade as well and generally had some sort of fans.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't take additional measures, but finding shade and/or AC really isn't hard right now.

As far as AC, in February, never once did we have an issue when we needed it, none of the shops had a line to enter them and for Tiki Room, you would be waiting in the shade. Country Bears, waiting inside air conditioning, the queue was never outside the building, except right before the show was about to start, which meant you weren't waiting king outside, even if you didn't make it into that show time.

There are also lots of hidden shaded/air conditioned spots if you look for them.

And yes, there is only one indoor relaxation spot in each park, but they were never full. And the outdoor ones were always in the shade as well and generally had some sort of fans.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't take additional measures, but finding shade and/or AC really isn't hard right now.

February is a great time to go if heat is an issue, especially with the limit on guests they had this year. But WDW is opening up more now, and it's getting hotter by the day, so AC is going to be at high demand. Fans in the shade, when it's in the 90's, don't do much. If they continue to limit how many guests can go into a shop, its going to be a little harder to get that AC, IMO. Hopefully the OP isn't going in the summer. I bet a list of those hidden AC spots would be helpful though.

February is a great time to go if heat is an issue, especially with the limit on guests they had this year. But WDW is opening up more now, and it's getting hotter by the day, so AC is going to be at high demand. Fans in the shade, when it's in the 90's, don't do much. If they continue to limit how many guests can go into a shop, its going to be a little harder to get that AC, IMO. Hopefully the OP isn't going in the summer. I bet a list of those hidden AC spots would be helpful though.

I fully agree - January and February are great times to go (and the Festival of the Arts is charming at EPCOT/WS) and really the only down side is that it gets dark earlier!

Of course, you have to be able to schedule your trip then, and not everyone has the ability to take off during those months... Hence they are often much "slower" and have lower crowd sizes.

I fully agree - January and February are great times to go (and the Festival of the Arts is charming at EPCOT/WS) and really the only down side is that it gets dark earlier!

Of course, you have to be able to schedule your trip then, and not everyone has the ability to take off during those months... Hence they are often much "slower" and have lower crowd sizes.
The dark earlier is an upside to me, I love seeing the parks at night.

As far as weather, we are from Southern California and honestly, even February is hot.

Hidden AC spots, you just have to look out for them, I can't even remember where all they were, as they were little nooks and crannies that we hadn't explored before.

As for crowds, turned out every day was sold out at every park we were at, so every park was at max of current capacity.

Hi,

You may have already learned the answer for yourself if you’ve been to Disney since you first asked the question, but I wanted to let you know that I was able to get a DAS for my medical condition that sounds very similar to yours. I wouldn’t have been able to make the parks work without it considering that I had a mild reaction even with the DAS and wearing long pants, long sleeves and a sun hat (all upf50+)! If you haven’t been on your trip yet, I hope you have a great time!

Hi,

IMO you would definitely qualify, especially since you can't wait in lines. Explain to the cast member that you are unable to wait in lines for extended periods of time. I have received a pass both times I requested it. I rent a scooter as well as I can't stand for long periods of time, however the scooter would give you a place to rest and get yourself out of the sun quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter