disabilities assistance Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
One time I went to Kilamanjaro Safaris, there was 5 of us, including me in the scooter, so we went to the separate loading area halfway through. Behind us though was a PARTY OF 20 PEOPLE, ALL ACCOMPANYING 1 PERSON IN A SCOOTER!

Out of curiosity, is there any other way to bring a scooter into that attraction and be put on the "regular" safari jeep vs. the modified one? I'm thinking not but I bring the scooter cause the line itself is long in distance (I never remember not having a FP for it when I rode it so I probably always went in with a FP). I can't remember that attraction line too well except that I always feel like I'm taking up a space compared to other attractions where the ECV is not pulled off to go with those who cannot leave their chair (like Flight of Passage - which again I've only ever rode with a FP but I give them the ECV and go into the "scanning" room where they match your avatar since I can stand for awhile and walk a bit. Fortunately never got stuck in there long).

Also wow for the 20 people! I can't imagine navigating a park with 20 people - especially rude ones! ;)

Out of curiosity, is there any other way to bring a scooter into that attraction and be put on the "regular" safari jeep vs. the modified one? I'm thinking not but I bring the scooter cause the line itself is long in distance (I never remember not having a FP for it when I rode it so I probably always went in with a FP). I can't remember that attraction line too well except that I always feel like I'm taking up a space compared to other attractions where the ECV is not pulled off to go with those who cannot leave their chair (like Flight of Passage - which again I've only ever rode with a FP but I give them the ECV and go into the "scanning" room where they match your avatar since I can stand for awhile and walk a bit. Fortunately never got stuck in there long).

Also wow for the 20 people! I can't imagine navigating a park with 20 people - especially rude ones! ;)
No, on the safari, you have to go to the modified vehicle.

Just back and it seems like they are tightening the DAS process. Saw someone with a scooter get denied at Hollywood Studios. Interestingly, the CM told the group that they would not be eligible at DHS, AK, or Epcot as all lines are capable of handling a scooter, but to ask at MK as those lines were older and not all accessible. We were also told they are no longer overriding the 6 person limit. In the past I think Disney was more lax but with the implementation of Genie and paid FP, I think we are going to see DAS issuance more mirror Universal where it is a bit more difficult to get. That said, I love the proposed changes to DAS with pre-screening and most importantly the ability to book your return times from your phone. I'd just be prepared for a more thorough discussion.
I do feel bad for people with larger families. We have friends who had a standard family of four (mom, dad, 2 kids) who unexpectedly adopted their sister's 4 children when tragedy stuck. It's frustrating that people who have a disabled party member would have to pick and choose between their kids/family members.

I do feel bad for people with larger families. We have friends who had a standard family of four (mom, dad, 2 kids) who unexpectedly adopted their sister's 4 children when tragedy stuck. It's frustrating that people who have a disabled party member would have to pick and choose between their kids/family members.

They have accommodated a family of 8 with only two adults in the past. But a party of 20 would rarely be in the same ride vehicle, more like taking up 5-10 of them, so there's no real "together" except in the queue. What people can do is have the party members not using DAS get in the queue, and then the DAS party would be able to keep in contact and coordinate the return so that they could meetup at the front. If the SB queue is moving faster than the allotted time on the DAS, the family could step aside and wait for the rest if it was that important for them to ride together.

Some of us have medical issues we find a little more... embarrassing than others. I don't really want to have to walk around telling strangers that I have issues with controlling my elimination systems. (Crohn's, and issues with frequent urination due to diabetes.) Combine that with mobility issues and getting in lines can be a problem. (ECVs don't exactly turn on a dime and getting out of line at a moment's notice is impossible most of the time... and that's on top of the issue of having to start all over again when you come back to the line.)

But if it would help keep the system clean, and give me access to the help I need - I would be willing to do it.

It wouldn’t bother me in the least to have to state my disability.

The modification in the ride trams is that the first row is equipped with a space for a wheelchair to be tied down.
The boarding area for guests using mobility devices has a permanent ramp with a folding part to load a wheelchair into that wheelchair accessible spot. It also has space for mobility devices to be parked and trams that load there also unload in the same place so guests have their mobility device waiting for them when they get off.

A modified tram is sometimes used at the ‘regular’ boarding area if the mobility area is too full to park any more mobility devices. Guests boarding at ‘regular’ area get on there and get off in another area. Neither of those areas has space for mobility devices to park.
Notice how quickly he was caught, fired, and shut down...
‘Real doctors‘ have given notes for uncomplicated pregnancies - people have posted about it on the internet in the past as a ‘hack’ to make their ‘baby moon’ the best.

The FASTPASS lane is not just used by DAS. It is also used by Club 33 members and people getting passes due to rides breaking down, etc. Others just need to mind their business. For the ones using DAS, not all disabilities are seen. Be kind and be thankful you don't need a DAS pass.
If only these people, all with legitimate reasons to be there, were in the FP line then there wouldn't be a problem. What we witnessed 1st week of August '21 was for every party of 2-4 in the regular line there were DOZENS of people coming by in the FP line. That's a CRAZY amount of abuse of the system. I mean, just take a quick glance around the park. What % of people do you see who are in need of a DAS? I would be shocked if that % was even 5% - it's much lower than that. At 5% that would mean for every 10 people in the standby line there would be 2 in the DAS/FP line. Nobody would even notice that, or at the very least you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would object to that. The # is completely flipped though. The DAS abuse is easily doubling the length of the SSD and PP standby lines in particular. That benefits no one but the cheaters. Disney needs to get a handle on this before they start adding Genie/LL people to the FP line too.

Another issue is people, like me, who have an ongoing medical issue that is not needed to be treated by a doctor but it affects my life. I don't want to, nor should I have to, pay to go to the doctor every year for a statement just to get the DAS. Not only does that put a financial burden on me, but it wastes the doctor's time to just see to write a note for WDW.
Our doctor doesnt write the note, the nurse or the social worker does on the doctor's behalf. Now days it's pretty easy to get a doctor note but yes it would stop most of the fakers. Our note was so generic .. I think it said our sons name can not stand in a line que or be exposed to heat for lengthy amounts due to a permanent disability.

That is what six flags asks for, if it says the disability they will hand it back and wont take it. Then they gave me that day with a temporary das pass so I could get it fixed. Yes I realize that most people go for more than one day... the simple fact of having the note is a deterrent for some.

Some of us have medical issues we find a little more... embarrassing than others. I don't really want to have to walk around telling strangers that I have issues with controlling my elimination systems. (Crohn's, and issues with frequent urination due to diabetes.) Combine that with mobility issues and getting in lines can be a problem. (ECVs don't exactly turn on a dime and getting out of line at a moment's notice is impossible most of the time... and that's on top of the issue of having to start all over again when you come back to the line.)

But if it would help keep the system clean, and give me access to the help I need - I would be willing to do it.

I do understand that. I have MS which can cause bathroom issues, also. It might be a little better now that you can do it online before going to the park and not standing in front of other people waiting in line….

Our doctor doesnt write the note, the nurse or the social worker does on the doctor's behalf. Now days it's pretty easy to get a doctor note but yes it would stop most of the fakers. Our note was so generic .. I think it said our sons name can not stand in a line que or be exposed to heat for lengthy amounts due to a permanent disability.

That is what six flags asks for, if it says the disability they will hand it back and wont take it. Then they gave me that day with a temporary das pass so I could get it fixed. Yes I realize that most people go for more than one day... the simple fact of having the note is a deterrent for some.

You don't have to have a doctor's note. You just tell that cast member why you are not able to wait in the regular line. I wrote it down, so I didn't have to verbalize it and embarrass my child. Depending on your situation, they will determine if DAS is for your family. It was a max party of 6 people the last I checked.

If only these people, all with legitimate reasons to be there, were in the FP line then there wouldn't be a problem. What we witnessed 1st week of August '21 was for every party of 2-4 in the regular line there were DOZENS of people coming by in the FP line. That's a CRAZY amount of abuse of the system. I mean, just take a quick glance around the park. What % of people do you see who are in need of a DAS? I would be shocked if that % was even 5% - it's much lower than that. At 5% that would mean for every 10 people in the standby line there would be 2 in the DAS/FP line. Nobody would even notice that, or at the very least you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would object to that. The # is completely flipped though. The DAS abuse is easily doubling the length of the SSD and PP standby lines in particular. That benefits no one but the cheaters. Disney needs to get a handle on this before they start adding Genie/LL people to the FP line too.

When we were there last week, the old FP queues were never as busy or full as the SB queues, huh. Maybe 2-3 groups ahead of us, tops. Many times we were the only ones in the queue. Also, the 10:2 ratio in your example is 16.7%, not 5%. 5% would be 1 person in the DAS queue and 19 people in the SB queue.

When we were there last week, the old FP queues were never as busy or full as the SB queues, huh. Maybe 2-3 groups ahead of us, tops. Many times we were the only ones in the queue. Also, the 10:2 ratio in your example is 16.7%, not 5%. 5% would be 1 person in the DAS queue and 19 people in the SB queue.
The FP queue would not be as full because they are letting the FP queue straight onto the ride as much as possible, whereas the people in the SB line are held to accommodate the FP line. You are correct, the math in my example was bad, but your corrected math only goes to further prove my point - thanks!

Out of curiosity, is there any other way to bring a scooter into that attraction and be put on the "regular" safari jeep vs. the modified one? I'm thinking not but I bring the scooter cause the line itself is long in distance
Yes- in fact, the first time I took my electric wheelchair to KS, I was told to park with the strollers & walk the remainder of the queue… which I reluctantly did.
No, on the safari, you have to go to the modified vehicle.
Not necessarily.
The boarding area for guests using mobility devices has a permanent ramp with a folding part to load a wheelchair into that wheelchair accessible spot. It also has space for mobility devices to be parked and trams that load there also unload in the same place so guests have their mobility device waiting for them when they get off.
The next time, I asked to stay in my chair until we reached the jeeps. When I got to the WC loading area, there was a “normal” jeep loading passengers that had gotten off of their scooters, but it was full, so I waited for the next one… and a modified jeep pulled up. It was the first time I had ever even seen one!! I was getting ready to get out of my WC, when the CM asked if I’d like to stay in my chair. Since no one else was waiting for it, I said yes- & I’m soooo glad I did! Not only did I get to be in the comfort of my own chair, but the modified jeep doesn’t stop for the “rumbling” bridge (which always causes me pain). It was wonderful!!!! I’ve ridden KS several times since, and I always wait for a modified jeep now (but you don’t have to!) 😊

Yes- in fact, the first time I took my electric wheelchair to KS, I was told to park with the strollers & walk the remainder of the queue… which I reluctantly did.

Not necessarily.

The next time, I asked to stay in my chair until we reached the jeeps. When I got to the WC loading area, there was a “normal” jeep loading passengers that had gotten off of their scooters, but it was full, so I waited for the next one… and a modified jeep pulled up. It was the first time I had ever even seen one!! I was getting ready to get out of my WC, when the CM asked if I’d like to stay in my chair. Since no one else was waiting for it, I said yes- & I’m soooo glad I did! Not only did I get to be in the comfort of my own chair, but the modified jeep doesn’t stop for the “rumbling” bridge (which always causes me pain). It was wonderful!!!! I’ve ridden KS several times since, and I always wait for a modified jeep now (but you don’t have to!) 😊
My family loves the Safari! Very easy to get on with a wheelchair.
We‘ve been to the Safari many times over the years. I’ve never seen one stop at the accessible boarding area that was not a modified tram.
We often need to wait though - since there is only one accessible spot on the tram, we often have to wait for more than one because we are not the only ones wanting it.

More often than not, our tram doesn’t get the full ‘rumbling’ bridge. We do sometimes get it though - I’ve read the bridge is triggered at a certain speed; if the tram is not at the right speed at the right point, your tram just gets minimal rumbling,
My daughter happens to like being bounced, so she’s happy when we get the ‘rumbly’ bridge.
DD anticipating a good Safari!4E865CCE-A9BC-4970-9913-DD0F0C7DF6BD.jpeg

The FP queue would not be as full because they are letting the FP queue straight onto the ride as much as possible, whereas the people in the SB line are held to accommodate the FP line. You are correct, the math in my example was bad, but your corrected math only goes to further prove my point - thanks!

Still didn't see what you claimed to have seen - but we saw a lot of plaids this trip when I've only seen 1-2 on past trips. Perhaps your influx was due to many more VIP tour groups. Also, we were not let right on in any of the queues at the merge point unless the SB queue was empty at that point (happened once at FoP because we were walking faster than the group in the SB queue). I guess your mileage may vary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter