DIS writers - a place for us.

I won a National Magazine Writing Gold Medal Award last month (Canadian) for an article I did on miscarriage and pregnancy loss in Today's Parent. Very exciting! I have been nominated before but this is my first time winning. Hoping this will help me get some more magazine work as that field gets tougher and tougher.
Congratulations, Teresa! That's wonderful!

I received an email that my books, currently under contract with MeeGenius, have been aquired by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. I'm not sure what this will mean, but they are a very large publishing firm. Time will tell.

Hope it helps, doesn't sound like it could not hurt. I guess they bought the former publisher?

Last edited:
I received an email that my books, currently under contract with MeeGenius, have been aquired by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. I'm not sure what this will mean, but they are a very large publishing firm. Time will tell.

I've heard good things about HMH. I hope it's a good thing for you and your books!

So happy for you.

Thank you! The two books I have out now are in digital and paperback format. unfortunately, that romance I was working on over the summer got put on the back burner for a while. I just picked it back up today actually. Summer was absolutely insane!!

How is everybody doing. No new works out yet, but touring Queens libraries to speak about my books and the differences between self publishing and traditional publishing.
Spoke for an 1 1/2 on topic. People really found it quite informative was surprised I was able to guide them and inform them for the duration. Having experience in both helped, and really tried to let people know not to spend money thinking you will get it back. To some of you that publish traditionally at one point mentioned that if you feel you are going to write one thing and that one thing is dear to you and you are going to want to support this one particular book for years and years. That most publishers are going to support your book for a year, After that unless very successful they are going to leave on
esites - possibly set up pod - but let it phase out.
Do you feel any loss that there is no way to support it. That you no longer own it and it is difficult to support it? Wanted to know because doing many more talks and did not want to state this if not true.

I'm published with two different publishing houses and I have never heard that before, ever.

Hm. I haven't had that experience. I did have one book published by a publisher that went out of business a couple of years later. They gave me back the rights to the book and copies of the book at a very discounted price. I know of another person who after a few years took back rights for the book from the publisher (I can't remember if she paid anything to do that or not).

Thats why I was asking. It seemed to me that there was a fairly short life cycle of support of books by publisher and I was wondering how authors felt after, if there was somewhat of a disconnect from them and the books. As a self publisher I still have those connections and support the book, send out free ecopies, etc. Things I just assumed the publisher stops doing and that you are not allowed to do as someone who turned over their rights. Was not really sure if it was that way or not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter