DIS Unplugged: Handbags and River Cruises

Timmerica

Earning My Ears
This "discuss whatever you want" format isn't working. I know this week's show was short on guests and Pete was upfront about it, but maybe they can get back to discussing more "DIS" things on the DIS show?

Too much time was dedicated to handbag advice from Kevin and cruise info from John. Admittedly, John's info would have been perfect on the Dreams Unlimited show.

I know, I can't believe Kevin focused on the Coach bags when there was a super cute Minnie and hearts Dooney handbag release! I saw them on display at Hollywood Studios last week and turned right around to get a closer look. :goodvibes

Reactions: jcb

I'm not sure I understand the objections to what Kevin and I discussed. The new format is "anything Disney related" we want to talk about. Kevin was excited to share news about this new Disney/Coach/Keith Haring collaboration he found.

I talked about the recent Adventures by Disney release. Yes, mine was lengthy but there was a lot of info I wanted to share. It was not done to fill time.

Is it because these two things don't interest you that we shouldn't have talked about them? Should we only talk about things that interest you personally?

Based on the feedback Kevin and I have received, and additional follow-up questions directly from podcast viewers and listeners, many folks were interested in these topics.

Not everyone is going to be interested in everything we discuss. Seems a bit mean to come to this board and specifically point out that you didn't like Kevin and my topics.

Nobody:
John: Vacation with us for $90,000

Insanity! haha

I never said 'vacation with us' and I am pretty sure I repeatedly mentioned how crazy expensive these Antarctica Sailings were. I even talked about how they personally didn't interest me but I am sure some people would enjoy them; and I was right because one sailing completely sold out in a matter of hours.

I think the basic issue is that there are major changes at the parks....construction...ticketing....resort changes...
The new format is great, but the above subjects could be addressed in some fashion every week.
Look at Len/Jim Hills podcast..They have news subjects every week.
Hopefully this can be seen as constructive criticism and not shaking a stick.

They were Disney bags and trips that are for sale on property or through Disney. I get not being interested in handbags, I don't care about them either, but they were relevant to the subject at hand. It is also nice to include some of the random things that might not make the big Disney news reports. Disney art, which is what I'd classify the handbag talk as, is good information for the subset of the audience that cares. A future discussion about lithographs, limited edition shirts, or something else might be of more interest if that is your thing.

I might have been too brief in my earlier comment trying not to restate all the bad news. I don't want to come off as flippant and apologize if I contributed to offending either Kevin or John.

So to be clearer, half the parks are closed, DCL is completely silent, the Wish will probably be delayed...again, the 50th news isn't even tepid, D23 was postponed so no build up or rumors swirling. Most the side things like hard ticket events and runDisney are gone. Are movies even in production? Of course, we all know this.

The best news out of WDW was a cookie and how much can you say about that? The news from management is all depressing. I am so depressed.

So basically, my original dry comment references all the bad stuff..

I just think there is only so much to say, especially if they don't want to focus on all negatives.

I apologize I didn't add that I appreciate you making the best of it. I was dryly saying, well it's sure not like Disney is giving them any content to work with.

Last edited:
I think the basic issue is that there are major changes at the parks....construction...ticketing....resort changes...
The new format is great, but the above subjects could be addressed in some fashion every week.
Look at Len/Jim Hills podcast..They have news subjects every week.
Hopefully this can be seen as constructive criticism and not shaking a stick.
The Dis and the Disney Dish (Jim and Len) are two different style podcasts though. They do not and should not be the same.

There is also only so many times you can talk about construction. I love talking about that more than most but major developments there can take months.

They discussed the changes to Magical express and extra Magic hours in the previous show. There wasn’t much in terms of big news that happened after that. Pete touched on the pending room refurb At the contemporary.

Not too long ago, several folks made the comment that the podcast was too formulaic. I realize not everyone likes every format.

Also remember that The DIS has more than one YouTube channel. If you want park updates, I think those are being done on https://www.youtube.com/c/wdwinfo/featured.

I mean, I'm not sure I'll watch Craig ride Figment 10 times in a row but I admire him for putting up the content nonetheless....

This "discuss whatever you want" format isn't working. I know this week's show was short on guests and Pete was upfront about it, but maybe they can get back to discussing more "DIS" things on the DIS show?

Too much time was dedicated to handbag advice from Kevin and cruise info from John. Admittedly, John's info would have been perfect on the Dreams Unlimited show.

I don't know anything about Coach or Keith Haring, but I found it very interesting actually. There's not one show that will appeal to everyone -maybe you'll enjoy next weeks better.

Is it because these two things don't interest you that we shouldn't have talked about them? Should we only talk about things that interest you personally?
I think that’s a fair point. I have some regret about how this thread started. It wasn’t so much about calling out topics from Kevin and John, but more about a lack of content that resonates with the majority of the audience at times.

Sometimes you guys will say “slow news week” but that’s never really true. You have the most robust Disney forums at your disposal on the DISboards and there is never a lack of fresh content. How about bringing up the top 5-10 topics on the boards for the week----that’s the pulse of your audience.

We are really fortunate to have you guys as contributors. The travel agency is the priority and the DIS shows are just a small part of your many other obligations. We are thankful for all of the content you release.

I think that’s a fair point. I have some regret about how this thread started. It wasn’t so much about calling out topics from Kevin and John, but more about a lack of content that resonates with the majority of the audience at times.

Sometimes you guys will say “slow news week” but that’s never really true. You have the most robust Disney forums at your disposal on the DISboards and there is never a lack of fresh content. How about bringing up the top 5-10 topics on the boards for the week----that’s the pulse of your audience.

We are really fortunate to have you guys as contributors. The travel agency is the priority and the DIS shows are just a small part of your many other obligations. We are thankful for all of the content you release.
I can attest that yes some weeks are definitely slow news weeks.

My only complaint is that I miss the John and Kevin restaurant reviews. Those were the best.
So true!

As far as Kevin's comments about bags goes I thought it was totally in character for him and the show in general. Kevin makes no bones about being a fan of high-end leather goods. He knows what he is talking about. It might not interest everybody but I'd say there are sections of every show that don't interest everybody.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter