DIS Unlimited Podcast Disney Virtual Roundtable Discussion Episode #1

Agreed, I do like the new content they rolled out with the opening of VDH. My comment on starting to feel flat was more for their talking heads episodes. Like what you say, the subject matter is narrower so there's only so much they can talk about. But to speak to the personality aspect of it and how much of a difference it makes, having Derek and Panda on the more recent shows were 10x more entertaining than having the moderators from their FB group on.
I honestly hadn't read your comment. I was just throwing some thoughts out there comparing what the Kriegers are doing to the DIS Unlimited effort, given that both channels have the exact same provenance.

I wondered about using the welcome center too for the podcast. I don't think it would work because it's in Cocoa Beach. While Theresa lives in Harmony (the last I heard), it's about 45 min for her to get to Orlando. As opposed to getting everyone else to the Welcome Center, it would be about an hour drive each way for several people. I would think site security is the biggest issue, what with all the equipment used being left there for nearly a week between podcasts. The last thing they need is a break in and they don't discover it until they get there on a Tuesday morning.

Long time listener, first time commenter here lol. I honestly had no idea what was going on behind the scenes until I listened to this episode, I was like "whaaaa?" Since Tuesday I have been sunk in various chat rabbitholes getting the tea and oh boy does this explain some things.

I started listening years ago because I like that they are not just uber-positive Disney shills but sometimes I thought they sounded unprepared and like maybe they didn't really like each other very much.

Now I understand why, and my heart goes out to them. I have worked in an abusive, toxic workplace and I know how it impacts your relationships with your co-workers. I know that sometimes you're just focused on keeping your head down and making it through one more day.

For sure, the chemistry was not great for this episode but I'm really hoping with Pete out of the way they will be able to let their individual personalities shine and develop a friendly rapport. I'm looking forward to getting to know who they really are when they're not being manipulated and abused.

Thanks for everything, Dis team! Looking forward to the next evolution, and wishing you all the best!

Ok, I’m going to weigh in here on the 1st ‘new’ show.

If anyone thinks their attorney(s) said “Go ahead and talk about what happened, about Pete, the lawsuit(s), the SH in the workplace, anything to keep your fans happy.” think again. He said, as anyone’s attorney would say “Do not say anything about what happened. Nothing at all, not even an apology until it’s over and done and settled.” And it’s a civil matter; it’s going to go on for years.

Every one’s opinions are theirs. They are not right or wrong. They are just that, their opinion. We all don’t agree on everything. It’s what makes life interesting and what makes for interesting conversations.
  • The show was rough, disjointed and awkward. It was their first show “AP” (after Pete). They were all on pins and needles.
  • Three months is not a long time for what was needed. It can take up to 6 months to a year to get to putting out a new show of production quality. What we saw is just a start. They all have full time jobs. No one on the show does the show’s podcast exclusively. I once spent 7 months preparing for an organization’s 1st weekly podcast. Lining up talent, writing scripts, rustling up guests, laying out the show format, etc. I left the podcast (as I said I would) after the 1st show, leaving them with 11 other shows to do.
  • We saw 3 key people from TDU/DUT, all top management. They were who should have been on the show. They weren’t necessarily the people who would have made the show better; but they were needed on this 1st “new show.”
  • As I have written before, the show needs structure. At least one other show about Disney uses a teleprompter. That means someone is writing a script. This is something they need, not for everything, but some of it needs to be scripted. The show needs segments, where we all have something specific to look forward to at a specific time frame.
  • They talked about one ABD trip, and people are complaining. It's the ultimate Disney fan ABD trip. Yes, they are going to promote them. Kevin spent about a minute and 45 seconds talking about both trips. John spent 2 minutes and 45 seconds talking by himself and with others about the same ABD trip. Total time was 4:30. Yes, the trips may not be for everyone. But those trips sell out every time so they must be doing something right. I for one am trying to get time to go on a Backstage ABD trip. So I want to hear about them and when they are offered. Some others may not. Again we’re all right. If they had a script, rehearsed a bit it probably would have lasted 2:45.
  • Don’t complain about the lack of a studio. The old space worked because it was in someone’s home and they made it work. Rent isn’t cheap in Florida. They don’t just need a space. They need a space they are going to use for how many hours a week, at most 6? It needs to be secure and in a safe area. But who wants to pay $2,500 or more a month for 24 hours of use? It needs utilities, high speed internet, and comes with more bills.
  • Zoom is good, and Zoom is bad. Zoom is what it is, very different than a live, in studio broadcast. Even a taped “radio” version will be different than a live, video version. But for now, it works like it did during the pandemic.
  • Craig is Craig and he wears a lot of hats. He produces the show, he executive produces the show. He writes some of the show. He’s also the Technical Director (runs the controls) and he hosts the show. This is just for the Tuesday show. He also does a number of other shows and video pieces for online content. This requires writing the limited scripting, shooting the raw footage, editing the final content and posting it online. Nothing about what they do happens immediately or overnight. Give him a lot of leeway and a break or 10.
  • If anyone thinks this is what the future holds, please tell me the winners of each race for this year’s Breeders Cup in a month and Powerball for this Saturday night because you must be able to predict or see into the future.
Again, no one can say anything about what transpired with Pete. This most likely came from their lawyer telling them not to say anything. I know; I was involved with a very small, by comparison, situation many years ago. The attorneys said “Don’t talk to anyone about this. It can and will be exploited by the public and by the opposition.” If anyone wants to know what is happening with the lawsuit, go to the Orange County, FL website and look it up there. If anyone thinks “We have a right to know” think again. This is a private matter between the parties involved.
Good points. I think zoom works best if all the users have professional cameras and mics for this type of video/podcast. This would be in lieu of a dedicated studio.

A
The latest video with Ryno and Erica was very nicely done. It was like sitting down to a conversation with friends because it was done with a split screen so you could see both of them at the same time.
Agree! That video was a million times better than the Tuesday show. Honestly, they could do something like that each week in the parks and upload it as a podcast. The video production, conversation, etc. was miles better than the zoom show.

I wondered about using the welcome center too for the podcast. I don't think it would work because it's in Cocoa Beach. While Theresa lives in Harmony (the last I heard), it's about 45 min for her to get to Orlando. As opposed to getting everyone else to the Welcome Center, it would be about an hour drive each way for several people. I would think site security is the biggest issue, what with all the equipment used being left there for nearly a week between podcasts. The last thing they need is a break in and they don't discover it until they get there on a Tuesday morning.
I travel an hour an half to work everyday (one way)

The DVC Show is no longer part of this network, so no point in posting about it here.
And yet, the DVC Fan Forum Tab on their website still links back to the DisBoards, so there is still at least an affiliation.

And yet, the DVC Fan Forum Tab on their website still links back to the DisBoards, so there is still at least an affiliation.

And yet, this is the DIS Unlimited Podcast forum, not the DVC boards or the DVC Fan Facebook group.

.....they've had over three months.
Three months to determine how they're going to move forward and what their needs are, find a suitable place that is available that they can rent for studio space, acquire and set up the new equipment needed for the new space, all while dealing with their company blowing up around them. Three months would have been a pipe dream.

Three months to determine how they're going to move forward and what their needs are, find a suitable place that is available that they can rent for studio space, acquire and set up the new equipment needed for the new space, all while dealing with their company blowing up around them. Three months would have been a pipe dream.
Perhaps, they should have waited until more of those issues were settled? Or perhaps, as grown adults and business people, they made the decision to return in this timeframe, they produced the outcome and decided to throw it out there. It is what is.

The people running the show are familiar with the business model and the puts and takes associated with decisions made in their current climate. People will have their opinions on either side of the spectrum with a lot in between - a learning opportunity or not - but just piling on grace for the sake of it doesn’t offer much room for truth to be spoken in an effort to create a better future either.

As a gay man who was left of center but now right of center, I would say the SJW viewpoints always dominated on Dis Unplugged & did so until recently. Those of us with differing but not offensive views were often denounced as bigots by fellow viewers & deleted in the live comments by Ryno. So you don't really need to rebalance anything. In fact there needs to be a counterbalance with people of centrist or rightist views being heard. And not being deleted.
What are you talking about?

There is such a huge difference between the studio/Zoom show and the "Baseline Babe" show Ryno and Erica dropped on Thursday. The Tuesday show is stilted and feels as though no one talked about what was going to happen ahead of time.

The Baseline Babe show was more fun and free flowing. Some of this, obviously, is Ryno and Erica sitting across from one another, but it's also stretching the creative muscle to have the conversation. More of these, please...it was the right length, right location (even with the ambient noise) and just plain fun.

The show needs to be hosted by someone that brings energy to the show. Sorry, but Craig and Ryno done't have that type of energy. For the love of all that is holy please please please don't let Julie anywhere near the new show. Kevin and Corey should steer clear too. More Jackie would help.

Seriously, after three months they came back with the same people and the same format and it was like it was their first show ever. That was very disappointing. Hopefully they do better today.

Obviously this was their first episode under the rebrand. It was a tough listen. They have an interesting line to straddle. Inform in an entertaining way all the while driving new/returning clients to dreams unlimited. It was sadly very boring. As others have said they need to find the "baseline babes" energy and use that for the podcast. Make the after show the main show & half way through have a prerecorded commercial about dreams unlimited and that is it. Listening to them shill ABD vacations is just not entertaining.

There are enough podcasts out there where they can borrow from to make a great show. Nothing wrong with finding inspiration elsewhere and adding your spin on it.

I’ll get skewered, but they say feedback is a gift, so please accept my gift.

The new show is not good. Zoom is terrible, as always. Glitchy with quality issues.

The intro might have to grow on me, but it pales in comparison to the old version. It was almost iconic for all of us.

Canned recitations of content is dull. We can read, too. What’s your take? What’s the advice?

Fake banter is obvious. Just be real.

The show needs a strong personality to make it interesting, sadly. Individually, we love the “gang,” but they are at best sidekicks and beat reporter-types, not hosts.

I have tried both new episodes and just quit during. There are other, more well-produced news options out there. The Dis was something unique.

Keep trying, though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter