• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

The Mickey giveth and the Mickey taketh away...now down 4%
Indeed!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/05/11/disney-needs-new-story-to-tell-warns-of-softer-streaming-growth.html

Disney may need to tell investors a new story as company warns of softer streaming growth​

Published Wed, May 11 20225:58 PM EDTUpdated 16 Min Ago
Alex Sherman@sherman4949

Key Points:

Disney shares fell about 2% after hours, although the company added 7.9 million Disney+ subscribers in the quarter.
Streaming adds alone may not be enough for Disney, especially if second-half growth doesn’t wow investors.
Disney’s chief financial officer warned that the rate of growth in the latter part of this year may not be as strong as hoped.

Disney Plus Hotstar adds 50 million or so subs and it's up for bid in about a month or so with Amazon and others wanting it bad, could be a expensive deal one way or the other for Disney
expected price 1.5 billion

To me one of the biggest takeaways was that Disney reports a Billion dollar loss for canceling rights fees on content to other providers. This will make Disney + even more in demand as many of the movies that pop up on other media outlets totally dries up. This in my opinion is an incredibly smart move. Short term negative with lower than anticipated profits with long term positives of forcing more to join Disney + to view Disney content.

Not sure if they are limiting capacity at the hotels but I can tell you that Orlando occupancy rates are very high and even better in the Lake Buena Vista area - 85% in March and 75% for Q1.

https://www.visitorlando.com/media/research/ tracks the data and their LBV numbers do not include Disney owned hotels but all the other hotels in and around WDW like Bonnet Creek, Swan and Dolphin, etc. Probably safe to assume Disney hotels are similar at the very least.
I think I saw Dis reported 84% occupancy, so nearly 10% better than non-Disney hotels.

To me one of the biggest takeaways was that Disney reports a Billion dollar loss for canceling rights fees on content to other providers. This will make Disney + even more in demand as many of the movies that pop up on other media outlets totally dries up. This in my opinion is an incredibly smart move. Short term negative with lower than anticipated profits with long term positives of forcing more to join Disney + to view Disney content.
I think that's a good point, i mean when you think about movie content, Disney seems to be top dog at driving viewers, either streaming or in theatres

Here's some more "analysis."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disn...saturation-in-streaming-market-164940696.html

Disney sinks despite subscriber beat as analysts mull saturation in streaming market

The overall subscriber decline comes as inflation remains high, consumers cut costs, and competition intensifies. Analysts remain split on what those economic conditions mean when it comes to the longer-term prospects of Disney+

Although streaming has been a particular focus for investors, the company's theme park division has remained a bright spot in its pandemic recovery.

Hargreaves Lansdown's Hoy added, "The parks is a huge part of where Disney makes their money."

GIVE THIS GUY AN ATTABOY!!
He can read a P/L statement.

And that perks are necessary to fill hotels. As much as people complain about the lack of perks it's not hurting the hotels any.
I think the convenience of staying on property wins out. No need to worry about parking or getting to the parks is a big plus for people who don’t typically travel to WDW

The looking at the big picture, I always thought Netflix was going to be in big trouble. All their most popular content came from other sources--Paramont, Warner Brothers, Disney, etc. It is hard to make up years and years of content that they lost when all these studios started opening their own streaming and taking their shows with them. Disney has 100 years of their content and another 80 plus years of 20th Century Fox content....(they have not even scratched the surface of movies on Disney+ and HULU that they own thru the 20th Century Fox deal).

The looking at the big picture, I always thought Netflix was going to be in big trouble. All their most popular content came from other sources--Paramont, Warner Brothers, Disney, etc. It is hard to make up years and years of content that they lost when all these studios started opening their own streaming and taking their shows with them. Disney has 100 years of their content and another 80 plus years of 20th Century Fox content....(they have not even scratched the surface of movies on Disney+ and HULU that they own thru the 20th Century Fox deal).
Which is what Michael Eisner figured out right quick after taking over in 1984. Recall that was about the time VCRs were getting real popular, and he realized Disney wasn't going to be able to keep movies locked up in "the vault" any more. He knew he would have to move fast with direct sales to consumers of Disney classics, or lose it. And all that money from sales of a product that had been amortized long ago went straight to the bottom line. All of it. If my research is correct, DIS stock multiplied by a factor of 8 between 1985 and 1990

Which is what Michael Eisner figured out right quick after taking over in 1984. Recall that was about the time VCRs were getting real popular, and he realized Disney wasn't going to be able to keep movies locked up in "the vault" any more. He knew he would have to move fast with direct sales to consumers of Disney classics, or lose it. And all that money from sales of a product that had been amortized long ago went straight to the bottom line. All of it. If my research is correct, DIS stock multiplied by a factor of 8 between 1985 and 1990
I think Eisner kind of fell backwards into that one, if i remember correctly when he came in the company was struggling mightily, and he thought he could use the direct sales as a quick money grab. I don't believe he realized just how beneficial it would actually turn out to be

No idea what value there is in tracking the price of Disney stock daily unless you are perhaps a day trader. If you are investing for your retirement, the horizon should be a much longer timeframe. Work with your financial advisor to have a portfolio that matches your goals and look at how things are going perhaps quarterly. Might include various stocks and/or mutual funds. If you own various mutual funds, those fund managers make the decisions on which stocks to own. Markets move up or down for a lot of reasons, some of which are totally unrelated to a specific company and there isn't anyone with a good enough crystal ball to predict the future.

Those with short memories probably forgot how much the markets were down when covid first got started. Things recovered as time went on. Or even 6 months ago when many acted like all of the markets would always go up 10+% annually?

I think Eisner kind of fell backwards into that one, if i remember correctly when he came in the company was struggling mightily, and he thought he could use the direct sales as a quick money grab. I don't believe he realized just how beneficial it would actually turn out to be
I'm gonna dig up my copy of Disney Wars and re-read that part. I don't recall if they had figured it was a gold mine, or that they just knew that they wouldn't be able to keep their monopoly on movie content as they had in the past, or a combination of both. I very well remember the famous Betamax Supreme Court case where it was ruled that video copying off live tv wasn't considered to be piracy. All the movie studios, including Disney, were fighting VCRs. And you are very correct that in 1984, DIS was in crisis. Corporate raiders were circling the company, and with the depressed stock price, it could have happened. The company might have been broken up piecemeal. The Bass brothers bought a big chunk of stock, and backed Eisner. They stayed with him throughout, until they got a margin call after the dotcom bust in 2001, and had to sell their DIS to cover it. After that, Eisner's days were numbered.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter