DIS Shareholders and Stock Info ONLY

Out of curiosity, once Disney starts cracking down on Disney+ password sharing in June, how will that affect profit/subscriber numbers?
My guess is that subscriber numbers will either stay flat or move slightly higher. I don't think it will be cause a big jump in subscribers. At least not right away. I feel that the profit per subscriber will more than likely go up, but still not be where it needs to be.

The biggest issue in streaming, is subscriber churn in my opinion. It is too easy for people to sign up for a month, binge watch what they want and drop the service. Rinse and repeat throughout the year. Until the streamers can lock people in for 6 months to a year or more, streaming profits will be up and down.

Psy

When Netflix cracked down on password sharing, they saw a nice bump in subscribers. No doubt there were cancellations, but it would appear the majority sucked it up and made their own account.

Disney will be hoping that the same thing will happen to them as well. I don't see why they won't have a similar result, albeit on a smaller scale as Netflix historically has had a lower churn. There will be a lot of people complaining but in the end, people will get over it and sign up. This will boost subscriber numbers and margins. The next step will be to continue increasing their ARPU number as it is way to low, in comparison to rivals.

Below is a list of streamers and their domestic ARPU (as of Q3 or Q4 2023):

Disney+ - $7.5
Hulu - $12.11
Netflix - $16.64
Paramount+ - $10.44
Peacock - $10.00

When Netflix cracked down on password sharing, they saw a nice bump in subscribers. No doubt there were cancellations, but it would appear the majority sucked it up and made their own account.

Disney will be hoping that the same thing will happen to them as well. I don't see why they won't have a similar result, albeit on a smaller scale as Netflix historically has had a lower churn. There will be a lot of people complaining but in the end, people will get over it and sign up. This will boost subscriber numbers and margins. The next step will be to continue increasing their ARPU number as it is way to low, in comparison to rivals.

Disney+ - $7.5
Hulu - $12.11
Netflix - $16.64
Paramount+ - $10.44
Peacock - $10.00
Further to how well the password crackdown worked for Netflix. In the USA/Canada region, Netflix subs were stagnated below 75m across 2021/2022. They implemented the password sharing crackdown and have since added 5m subs and are over 80m subs as per the last reported quarter.

It worked.

Out of curiosity, once Disney starts cracking down on Disney+ password sharing in June, how will that affect profit/subscriber numbers?
We can look at how Netflix did to maybe see how it will go with D+

Netflix subscribers surge after crackdown on password sharing​

https://news.sky.com/story/netflix-subscribers-surge-after-crackdown-on-password-sharing-13055187

Netflix saw a surge in new subscribers at the end of last year, attributed in part to the streaming giant bringing in a ban on password sharing.

The crackdown on password sharing, which started last May in a number of countries, hindered people in different households from using the same account.

It appears to be having the desired effect of prompting people to open their own accounts - as the company added 13.1 million worldwide subscribers in the last three months of 2023.

It was the third consecutive quarter in which Netflix boosted its subscribers, outstripping the 8.8 million subscribers gained in the July-September period.

The surge left Netflix with more than 260 million global subscribers at the end of 2023, an annual increase of nearly 30 million subscribers.

It was a stark contrast to 2022's increase of 8.9 million subscribers - a lacklustre showing that raised questions about how the company was coping with growing competition for viewers.

But Netflix turned the trend around through its ban on password sharing and the rollout of a new low-priced streaming plan that featured adverts for the first time.

Netflix said the cheapest plan now accounts for 40% of new subscribers in the countries where it is offered, including the US and UK.

Disney+ - $7.5
Hulu - $12.11
Netflix - $16.64
Paramount+ - $10.44
Peacock - $10.00
It’s still funny to say that Disney underpriced a product. Not something that’s typically stated when Disney does things.

One relevant to Disney comment on the whole Paramount Skydance merger saga - it was mentioned, in passing, on CNBC today that John Lasseter is head of Skydance's animation unit. I had forgotten that. That merger could create yet another formidable competitor in animation for Disney.

The biggest issue in streaming, is subscriber churn in my opinion. It is too easy for people to sign up for a month, binge watch what they want and drop the service. Rinse and repeat throughout the year. Until the streamers can lock people in for 6 months to a year or more, streaming profits will be up and down.

We just bit on a one-year Max sub that comes out to $8.75/month. Their usual annual price for ad-free works out to $12.75/month.

I only see one Disney+ option that offers an annual payment:

https://help.disneyplus.com/article/disneyplus-price

More annual options plus some occasional promos would address the issue you mentioned.

One relevant to Disney comment on the whole Paramount Skydance merger saga - it was mentioned, in passing, on CNBC today that John Lasseter is head of Skydance's animation unit. I had forgotten that. That merger could create yet another formidable competitor in animation for Disney.
I don't think there will be much competition with Skydance animation as it is currently all direct to streaming. They have released one film on Apple TV and all future films will be with Netflix. They have only released one animation so far in 5 years since Lasseter's hiring and it did not get received well (my wife and I both liked it).

I don't think there will be much competition with Skydance animation as it is currently all direct to streaming. They have released one film on Apple TV and all future films will be with Netflix. They have only released one animation so far in 5 years since Lasseter's hiring and it did not get received well (my wife and I both liked it).
Skydance on it's own, yes, but combine it with the much larger Paramount and things could change.

That was Luck, right? I wanted to see that, but don't have Apple TV. It was in production before Lasseter came on board. He does have an upcoming fantasy musical with music by Alan Menkin, which will be for Netflix and a Brad Bird directed picture too, so we'll see what he can do.

Skydance on it's own, yes, but combine it with the much larger Paramount and things could change.
Sure, but there is a reason Paramount is selling and not many are looking to buy. Any merger with Skydance will see a Zavlav type of cost cutting that will gut a lot of the entity in order to try and lighten a debt load that is not sustainable for the new company. I can't imagine whatever comes out of the merger will be able to have the resources necessary to be a true competitor in the animation box office market. I think the deal with Netflix is a solid but will most likely mean a slow play to notoriety in a competitive space.
That was Luck, right? I wanted to see that, but don't have Apple TV. It was in production before Lasseter came on board. He does have an upcoming fantasy musical with music by Alan Menkin, which will be for Netflix and a Brad Bird directed picture too, so we'll see what he can do.
Yeah, like i said, my wife and I both did like it. Felt the critics were a bit harsh on it overall. It was by no means akin to early Pixar under Lass but we it was better than what Illumination consistently puts out.

Lasseter is most likely to get ousted, since he has a history of making unwanted hugs/touches, something that gave him the boot from Disney and Pixar. I doubt Paramount will want him. It’s why they scrapped their planned partnership with Skydance Animation.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/paramount-global-board-skydance-deal-talks-1235881633/

As Paramount Shareholders Slam A Skydance Deal, Four Directors Said To Be Exiting Board: Could Threat Of Legal Action Derail Talks?

By Jill Goldsmith - Co-Business Editor
April 11, 2024 - 10:25am PDT

The temperature is rising as Paramount Global‘s common shareholders continue to publicly and privately bash a possible acquisition by David Ellison’s Skydance Media with terms they insist would mainly benefit Shari Redstone. With the parties in the midst of a 30-day exclusive negotiating period, a report this week said four Par directors are planning to step down from the board.

Paramount declined to comment on WSJ news that directors Nicole Seligman, Dawn Ostroff, Frederick Terrell and Rob Klieger are set to exit. Shareholders elect directors at annual meeting, usually held in the spring. Proxy statements filed ahead with the SEC — Paramount’s is not out yet — list the company’s slate of nominated directors and set the meeting date.

Klieger is Redstone’s attorney. Seligman, Ostroff and Terrell are are said to be on a special board committee Paramount created to evaluate a Skydance deal and make sure it’s fair to all shareholders. Privately and publicly, many insist that what’s leaked out so far is definitely not fair and promise litigation.

“We are not surprised, but cannot think of a stronger statement against the proposed Skydance deal,” said Loop Capital analyst Alan Gould of the board situation in a note today.

Exclusive engagement with the unpopular (with investors) deal is moving ahead because it can. Paramount Global has a dual class structure with the Redstone family holding NAI owning 77% of the voting stock, with only 10% of the actual equity. The lesser B shares are held by a wide range of institutions that are strenuously objecting to reported terms with Skydance, starting with a $2 billion payment to NAI for its controlling stake. Common shareholders would not get a buyout premium.

NAI has just over $1 billion worth of Class A and Class B shares, a movie theater chain worth roughly $360 million, and about $200 million in debt, Gould said.

As deal talk has evolved, Paramount Global’s voting shares are trading at around $23 – up from a 52-week low of $13. The common stock is at about $11, down from a year-high of $24.

The second step would be a merger of Skydance and Paramount — which is the point of the deal, but would not be automatic even with Skydance gaining control. Specifically, Paramount would reportedly buy Skydance for $5 billion in an all-stock deal. Issuing new shares dilutes the stakes of current shareholders, another reason they are unhappy. They say $5 billion is a big valuation for Skydance.

At least three funds have publicly shared angry letters sent to Paramount and its board. According to Blackwood Capital Management, “the only way to avoid litigation is to provide all current shareholders the option to sell their shares at the same price as Ms. Redstone.” Otherwise, “You’ll be cashing out one shareholder at a huge premium and leaving the rest of us stuck with heavily diluted shares in a very speculative new venture. This violates the law as well as your fiduciary duty to shareholders.”

At attorney for Aspen Sky Trust shared a missive to Redstone’s attorney threatening legal action if Par’s executive chair did not “immediately cease and-desist from any involvement in the ongoing discussions, negotiations, and evaluations of Skydance Media’s bid to Paramount.”

“Your client’s involvement with the negotiation and determination process associated with Skydance Media’s bid is saturated by conflicts of interests. As a member of the Board of Director’s who holds a unique financial incentive to advance the bid submitted by Skydance Media, your client has the ability and is incentivized to orchestrate a deal with Skydance Media that would be personally beneficial even if it is not in the best interests of the company and its remaining shareholder population.”

Matrix Asset Advisors kicked off the public chorus when David Katz, president and chief investment officer Monday called the firm “distressed by recent reports that the Board is strongly considering a sub-optimal bid from Skydance that prioritizes the interests of one shareholder over the broader shareholder base. As reported, this deal focuses on monetizing Shari Redstone’s shareholding for cash at a significant premium. The vast majority of shareholders would not receive a similar premium and would be forced to finance a speculative investment in Skydance in a transaction significantly dilutive to shareholder value. Overall, this transaction, as contemplated, would be detrimental to the company’s value and contrary to the Board’s fiduciary duty.”

Matrix and are especially incensed at Paramount’s brush-off of a $26+ billion bid by Apollo Global for the whole company. The board hasn’t engaged with the private equity giant.

“It is especially galling to us, and probably many other similarly situated shareholders, that the Board would not seriously consider the reported $26-27 billion cash offer from Apollo Global, apparently due to concerns about the deal financing. This objection can be cured by giving Apollo the same deference (30 days that is being given to Skydance) to perform diligence and confirm financing. And the valuation certainty of a cash bid is vastly superior to a notional valuation that Skydance is assuming for itself in the second-step transaction, a clear conflict of interest.”

“The easiest time to derail it from happening is right now – before they have actually entered into an agreement. Before they have made anything happen,” Katz tells Deadline. “It gives Apollo the ability to step up if they want to be more visible, if they think they can pull this off, and that puts even more pressure on the board.”

“If people are public, the board has to answer those questions and understand they are under the limelight, and that’s why you have directors resigning … I think at a minimum they are feeling the pressure that they just can’t rubber stamp things.”

Most of the board is close to Redstone, says another fund invested in Paramount. “It’s Shari’s board, and so anybody defecting is meaningful.”

A bit of discussion here about the future (or lack thereof) for linear TV.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...dio-behind-the-godfather-and-top-gun-maverick

Inside the Controversial Bid to Buy the Studio Behind The Godfather and Top Gun: Maverick

Paramount is up for sale. Here’s why Shari Redstone alone could get $2 billion, how other shareholders are reacting, and more.

By Sean McNulty
April 11, 2024

About 30 years ago, the Paramount business was at the center of one of the most infamous takeover battles in corporate history, with bold-faced names like Barry Diller, John Malone, Sumner Redstone, and Wayne Huizenga (google him—he used to be a huge deal) battling each other for control of the legendary studio, with David Geffen, Michael Ovitz, and Ted Turner on the periphery.

Now in 2024, however, Sumner’s daughter, Shari Redstone, is looking for an exit from her controlling stake of the company and has found few interested buyers, despite the company’s stock price being at near-record lows (i.e., one could at least theoretically get it on the cheap).

One tricky thing about being Paramount these days is that its business is still heavily tied to linear TV, and over 50% of its revenues come directly from the melting cable TV bundle. It’s a problem that all traditional Hollywood studios are facing—and one that Netflix 100% is not.

Private equity investor Apollo Global Management has reportedly made an offer of about $26 billion for the entire company (which includes Paramount Global’s debt of over $14 billion). Still, the committee managing the sale process has chosen to focus on a rival bid from Skydance, a well-financed production company with additional gaming and feature animation divisions, led by David Ellison—yes, of the Oracle Ellisons—and had a valuation of over $4 billion in its last fundraise back in 2022.

Skydance and Paramount are actually already in business together, as the former has cofinanced films from the latter, including Top Gun: Maverick and last summer’s MI-7: Dead Reckoning. Skydance and Paramount are in the midst of a 30-day exclusive negotiating period, and if you think they’re trying to keep it clandestine, you probably also think the Kardashians make an effort to keep all of their family secrets behind closed doors.

The latest details involve quite a bit of financial minutia regarding voting stock, common stock, and potential share buybacks. (For those odd birds like myself who find this stuff fascinating, you can find the details in my recent Wakeup newsletter at The Ankler).

Why is the Skydance bid being favored over the Apollo bid? A big factor is likely that the Skydance offer centers on first buying out Shari Redstone, president of National Amusements Inc., which is the controlling shareholder of Paramount Global. The Skydance-led consortium is reportedly offering a large $2 billion payment to Redstone for her 77% of the voting shares, a premium price on the stock’s current value. Apollo’s bid was reportedly just for the Paramount Global company, essentially just buying out common stock holders, of which Redstone holds about a 10% stake.

Ellison’s reported partners in this Skydance bid are the private equity firms KKR and Redbird, with money from Ellison family patriarch Larry Ellison likely also in the mix. Suffice to say that they’re not doing this so they can finally fulfill their dreams of scheduling MTV. Rather, Ellison’s focus here, according to Bloomberg, seems primarily to gain control of the Paramount movie studio and TV divisions, which include a huge library from Cheers to The Godfather to Beverly Hills Cop, a nice merch biz from things like Nickelodeon and Paw Patrol, and the famous backstage lot on Melrose Avenue in Hollywood. In fact, it’s been reported that Ellison plans on investing further in the studio (alongside KKR and Redbird money, and possibly some money from Pa Ellison, Larry). So you would likely continue to see big films in movie theaters from Paramount if this deal comes to fruition.

The trickier part is what to do with those declining linear TV assets, including CBS, the free streaming service Pluto, and the money-losing Paramount+, which all come with the company. P+, as it’s called internally, lost over $1.6 billion in 2023. Yes, losses are expected to be less severe in 2024 and be profitable domestically in 2025, but its overall profitability has no stated timeline.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Ellison has indicated to Paramount management that he’d like to merge P+ with another streaming service, and Comcast’s Peacock would be a viable candidate, especially as Paramount+ with Showtime and Peacock programming are already combined in a joint venture together in Eastern Europe called Sky Showtime. (These two services combined lost about $4.3 billion last year, so the financial rationale here seems fuzzy at best.) But, if you’re a huge Paramount+ fan, there’s a decent chance that you’ll need to subscribe to this potential other combo service to watch many of your favorite Taylor Sheridan series and other P+ fare, should this Skydance deal happen.

While CBS’s business is largely tied to the cable TV bundle, they have an extremely valuable asset in the form of their NFL rights contract—they pay the league approximately $2 billion per season for their games package—which they’ve got on lockdown until the early 2030s. (They’ve also got the recently finished March Madness tournament, the upcoming Masters tournament, some Big Ten football, and other smaller sports rights). So Ellison isn’t likely to part with CBS (and the NFL). CBS, by the way, is also a great distribution home for TV series that the Paramount TV studios produce and the local TV affiliates that CBS owns in all top markets. Those affiliates are still quite profitable, especially in election years.

As for your favorite cable networks, well, that’s the big question mark. While it’s unlikely that MTV, Nickelodeon, and other big, well-known brands that still throw off sizable profits will disappear, that profit is only headed in a downward direction. So the likelihood of Skydance holding onto these long-term is not high (increasingly smaller profits over time isn’t an attractive business to be in). A new buyer probably wouldn’t immediately shut any down, but their investment in them would certainly be muted, and the long-term prospects for having original (almost entirely unscripted) content on them seem mixed at best.

The Skydance-Paramount talks have a long way to go, and a deal is still nowhere near certain. Due to the potential stock devaluation that could occur as part of the financial maneuvers involved here, significant Paramount stockholders are already raising their concerned voices about the still unofficial details that have been leaking lately. Four board members are now reported to be leaving in the coming weeks, two of whom are on the internal committee evaluating deal offers. So clearly there are new chapters to come. But if you get an email next year that your Paramount+ subscription is ending and/or that something more expensive with a new name is on its way…you now know the reason.

No matter the outcome, Paramount is the canary in the coal mine for the unpleasant future that other studios will face because of the value of their once-vaunted cable TV networks. Oddly enough, among the mix of Paramount assets here from TV networks to streaming services, it’s the old fashioned studio business that seems to be the most prized in 2024.

JP Morgan Reinstates Overweight on Walt Disney, Raises Price Target to $140

8:06 am ET April 11, 2024 (Benzinga) Print

JP Morgan analyst Philip Cusick reinstates Walt Disney with a Overweight and raises the price target from $120 to $140.

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel/universal-disney-theme-park-dominance-a71ba4c6

The Threat in Disney World’s Backyard

Smaller rival Universal is expanding its parks, mobilizing Harry Potter, Super Mario and an army of Minions to steal away Disney visitors.

By Jacob Passy and Robbie Whelan
Updated April 13, 2024 12:08 am EDT

When the Universal Epic Universe theme park opens next year, it will add 750 acres populated by Harry Potter, Donkey Kong and dragons to the company’s Central Florida resort.

It will also be an epic shot across Walt Disney’s bow.

Just 10 miles down Interstate 4 is Walt Disney World, the biggest part of Disney’s most important profit engine, and the stuff of dreams for tens of millions of visitors a year.

To understand the stakes for both companies, consider this: A common vacation itinerary includes three or four days at Disney World and one or two days at Universal. If Universal can now persuade families to spend one more day at its parks instead of at Disney, it could nab hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue.

Universal’s timing couldn’t be better. It’s been five years since Disney opened a major expansion—or new land, in the company’s parlance—in Florida. Those years have coincided with multiple rounds of ticket-price increases, irking even some die-hard Disney fans.

Over the past decade, Disney’s parks division has become more strategically important to the company, with profits eclipsing those of the TV-networks division, which includes ESPN, ABC and Disney Channel.

Universal’s parent, Comcast, is mining box-office hits like “Despicable Me” and “How to Train Your Dragon” as it invests in its parks. The company set itself up for success with a “foot on the gas” strategy early in the Covid-19 pandemic that has meant it has fresh attractions to offer as demand rebounds, Chief Financial Officer Jason Armstrong said at a March investor conference.

If Universal flips enough families, it could be a big blow to Disney’s most-profitable division at a time when the company is struggling to juggle other priorities, including finding its next chief executive, reinvigorating its movie studios and making money in streaming.

It is a classic case of the smaller rival taking on the industry leader. The Disney division that includes theme parks—plus cruises, videogames and consumer products—posted $32.5 billion in sales for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30. Universal’s parks division brought in $8.95 billion in revenue last year.

“Guests have told us they love our brand of immersive storytelling, and that if we gave them more of that, they’d give us more of their time,” a Universal spokesperson said. “We looked at that strategically” and decided to build another park.

Disney says it has been steadily offering new and refreshed attractions, pointing to a host of well-reviewed thrill rides and renovations that have recently added sheen to aging parks like Epcot.

“Epic is Universal playing catch-up on a decade of nonstop development at Walt Disney World,” a Disney spokesperson said.

When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, almost five years after the death of the company’s namesake founder, admission cost $3.50 for an adult. Visitors could roam Magic Kingdom—the only theme park on the property at the time—and take in dozens of free attractions and performances, but had to purchase separate ticket books to get on rides like Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion.

As the resort expanded over the decades, filling more and more of the roughly 40 square miles of land Disney owns near Orlando with hotels and new parks, visits began to require more time and more planning. Families began mapping out longer visits so that they could explore other parts of the Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney’s last major addition in Florida arrived in 2019, when it opened a new land at its Hollywood Studios theme park called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, based on the popular science fiction franchise. Elsewhere in the U.S., Disney has made significant expansions, such as its Avengers Campus, added to the California Adventure park in Anaheim, Calif., in 2021.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, a hit roller coaster that opened in 2022, simulates time travel by launching riders backward through a darkened solar system while music from pop artists like Blondie and Tears For Fears blares. Tron Lightcycle / Run, a nearly 60-m.p.h. screamer of a coaster that evokes the retro-futurism of the 1980s with neon lights and a synthesizer soundtrack, opened last year and is consistently mobbed by eager fans. A daily app-based waiting list for the coaster often maxes out.

“By staggering these major launches, we have been able to commercially and operationally optimize our new offerings over time, rather than having to do it all at once,” Disney CEO Bob Iger said in April. The company plans to announce a raft of new attractions at its D23 fan event this summer.

When Disney has swung for the fences recently, it hasn’t always connected. Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, an ambitious interactive hotel experience that cost more than $350 million to build, closed less than two years after opening in 2022. Disney said it would use what it learned to guide decisions about future experiences.

Disney last year announced that it would spend $60 billion over a decade to “turbocharge” growth at the division that includes theme parks and cruises, but did not say how much would be spent on domestic parks.

Earlier this month, the company previewed a planned expansion of the Magic Kingdom park that’s about the size of Galaxy’s Edge. It has also begun work on a new section of Animal Kingdom in Orlando called Tropical Americas, based on themes from the movie “Encanto” and the Indiana Jones franchise. The company has not said when those areas will open. Most large expansions take years to complete.

“Give us something more exciting—something brand new that can keep bringing people back,” said Jenean Criscitiello, a 32-year-old Disney fan from the Chicago suburbs. She and her husband don’t have a trip planned to Disney this year in part because they weren’t eager to experience rides and attractions they’d already done dozens of times.

A Disney spokeswoman said fans have high expectations and the company is “always striving to deliver on those expectations and in fact exceed them.”

Political and legal skirmishes with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over the last two years complicated announcing any big expansions at Disney’s Florida parks.

Now, a legal truce reached last month between Disney and the state “will actually enable us to pursue the kinds of significant investment in our Florida parks” that fans want to see, Iger said at the company’s April shareholder meeting.
Universal finds ‘Jaws’

Universal’s theme-park roots stretch back to the 1960s, when it was a movie studio owned by MCA. Universal Pictures offered tours of its studio lot in Hollywood in red-and-white trams in an effort to increase profits. Originally, the tour drove through back lot areas, giving visitors a glimpse of movie stars and live film sets.

Over time, the tour grew more ambitious. Massive permanent sets were built to showcase special effects. Audio-animatronic versions of the shark from Steven Spielberg’s “Jaws” and King Kong were installed to thrill guests.

By the 1970s, MCA saw the success Disney had in exporting the Disneyland concept to Florida and began planning a movie studio-themed park in the Sunshine State. Universal Studios Florida opened in 1990, a year after Disney opened a new park of its own, now known as Hollywood Studios.

In 2007, Universal announced plans for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at its Universal Islands of Adventure theme park in Orlando. Attendance surged after the Harry Potter-themed area opened in 2010.

“Everybody saw the potential of doing that level, that kind of project, and what it could do for the company and for the parks and the resorts,” said Mike West, who has previously worked at both Disney and Universal designing theme-park attractions.

Quickly, Universal planned an expansion of the Harry Potter attractions at neighboring Universal Studios. The two areas are connected by a ride, inspired by the magical Hogwarts Express train, that shuttles between the parks. To experience that ride and both Harry Potter areas in the same day, visitors must purchase multipark tickets, which cost anywhere from $174 to $234 for a one-day adult ticket.

Other Potter attractions include a ride through Hogwarts called Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, plus several roller coasters, including Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. The theme park opening next year is set to include a third Wizarding World, a land called Super Nintendo World and roller coasters like Starfall Racers and the Donkey Kong-themed Mine Cart Madness.

“Disney doesn’t have the shovels in the ground at this point to open anything that might directly compete with Epic,” said Robert Niles, a former Disney employee who once piloted rafts at the Tom Sawyer Island attraction at Walt Disney World and now runs the website Theme Park Insider.

Adding Up

If Orlando visitors spend one additional day and switch their lodging to Universal instead of Disney, it would have an impact.

Note: Budgets are for a family of four, with two kids over the age of 10, visiting Orlando the week of July 15 and staying at a mid-tier resort for five nights. Theme-park admission costs cover tickets that permit park hopping. Food costs cover two meals in the park per day—one counter-service, the other table-service—plus two snacks and bottles of water per person. Costs based on pricing information found on the companies' websites and include estimates for some items. Taxes not included.

Source: WSJ analysis of the companies’ publicly available information

David Holechek, a 42-year-old father of four in the Denver suburbs, owns a Disney timeshare and spends thousands of dollars each year to take his family to Walt Disney World. The Holecheks usually tack on a brief stop at the nearby Universal Orlando Resort.

The family is forgoing this year’s trip to Disney World. When they travel to Orlando next year, they expect to spend more days at Universal than at Disney for the first time.

A family of four visiting Disney World for a five-day, four-night stay in mid-July with Park Hopper tickets, a quick-service dining plan and a room in a moderate-tier hotel would spend upward of $5,000, not counting the cost of souvenirs or add-ons such as the Genie+ line-skipping service. Shortening the Disney leg by even a day would trim hundreds of dollars from their spending at the company’s parks and resorts.
The Imagineers

Iger and Josh D’Amaro, who oversees the Disney division that includes theme parks, have told employees that the parks business is at a transition point.

It is coming out of a few years focused on maximizing how much visitors spend each visit, or what it calls yield per visitor, by increasing ticket pricing and selling add-ons like line-skipping features. Now, the company is ready to return to steady rollouts of ambitious expansions, according to a manager in Disney’s parks division.

Devising new theme-park attractions has historically been a multiyear process, says Eddie Sotto, a former Imagineer, a member of the company’s elite team of theme-park designers, who now consults with theme parks through his own design firm.

“It’s very difficult to take an intellectual property or movie and say, ‘Well, this movie just suddenly became a surprise hit and now this ride needs to be there tomorrow,’ ” Sotto said.

Note: Disney figures for the segment including theme parks include operating income from theme parks, cruise lines, consumer product sales and merchandise licensing. The corresponding Comcast figures are Ebitda for theme parks and consumer products. Disney fiscal year ends Sept. 30. Comcast figures are for calendar years.

Sources: the companies

Revenue from the division has represented 30% to 40% of Disney’s overall revenue for most of the past decade, but the division’s share of operating income has grown steadily, to 69% in fiscal 2023 from 39% in 2018, making the business the darling of Disney and its most reliable driver of profit growth.

Iger holds a meeting every month or two to review major initiatives with Imagineers. He and D’Amaro, one of the executives on the shortlist of Iger’s potential successors as CEO, have delivered a clear message at recent meetings that one person in attendance described as: “Open the doors and show me your new visions.”

Fight for visitors

Over the past decade, Universal Orlando Resort has added multiple hotels that range from budget to luxury. This summer it will open a new section of the Universal Studios Florida park based on DreamWorks Animation’s films such as “Shrek” and “Trolls.” In recent years, Universal has also added rides to its Florida theme parks based on the Despicable Me, Fast & Furious and Jurassic World film franchises.

“We’ve seen Universal become more of a destination itself,” says Kari Dillon, owner of two travel agencies based in Huntersville, N.C.: Marvelous Memories Travels and Marvelous Mouse Travels. “We do a ton of split stays as it is right now, where people are going down and spending half their week at Disney and then taking the other half and going down to Universal.”

Attendance at Universal’s Florida theme parks has snowballed in the years since they first opened in 1990. Islands of Adventure attracted more than 11 million visitors in 2022, while Universal Studios had almost 10.8 million guests, according to data from the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting firm Aecom.

Disney’s Magic Kingdom, which had more than 17 million visitors in 2022, has long been the world’s most-visited theme park. But since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, attendance at Universal’s Islands of Adventure park has surpassed that of Disney World’s other three Orlando-area theme parks.

The new Universal park could lead Walt Disney World attendance to decline by about one million visitors in the two years spanning 2025 and 2026, according to a new analysis from MoffettNathanson, and boost overall attendance at Universal’s three parks in the area by more than eight million.

Craig Longhurst, who works in real-estate development and management in Winston-Salem, N.C., once a year typically takes his two sons, 15 and 10, each to Walt Disney World individually. Lately, he’s grown irritated at the rising cost of visiting the theme parks. The latest “Moana” themed walk-through attraction isn’t interesting enough to warrant a trip, he said.

“If they’re going to continue to charge these prices,” Longhurst said, “they’re going to have to invest in the parks and develop some new attractions that get me to part with my money.”

Write to Jacob Passy at jacob.passy@wsj.com and Robbie Whelan at robbie.whelan@wsj.com

https://www.ft.com/content/25d7ca65-0e70-4b03-a1b7-2b28a8ec40c6

Who can run Disney? The four insiders competing for Bob Iger’s job
Magic Kingdom’s unhappy record on succession means the candidates for its throne face intense investor scrutiny

Christopher Grimes in Los Angeles and Harriet Agnew in London
4/13/2024

In the multimillion-dollar proxy clash between Disney and activists led by Nelson Peltz, the biggest battle was over the process to find a successor to Bob Iger, the CEO who has run the entertainment empire for most of the past 18 years.

Iger saw off Peltz definitively earlier this month. But with the proxy battle out of the way, the unresolved question of who will take over from him has risen to the top of investors’ agendas.

As the activists poured scorn on Disney’s succession planning, members of its board said last month that they were reviewing “internal and external candidates with the help of a well-regarded national search firm”.

Four people have emerged as the most likely internal candidates: Josh D’Amaro, who runs Disney’s theme parks; Alan Bergman, co-chair of Disney Entertainment; Jimmy Pitaro, chair of the ESPN sports division; and Dana Walden, co-chair of Disney Entertainment.

Iger’s contract ends in 2026, so any internal vetting process will be protracted, and it will be hard for investors to determine how it is progressing. But it is likely to be closely watched, given Disney’s unhappy record on succession planning.

Iger first intended to retire by 2015, but he extended his contract multiple times before stepping aside in 2020. His replacement, Bob Chapek, only lasted 33 months, after which Iger returned.

“Succession is absolutely critical for Disney and one of Iger’s most important tasks will be to find his replacement,” said Disney shareholder Chris Rossbach, managing partner at J Stern & Co, a private investment office. “We’d like to see a clear process and a deep bench of management talent.”

David Larcker, director of the Corporate Governance Research Initiative at Stanford, cautioned that “bake-off” processes among internal candidates can be fraught, as Disney demonstrated in a previous succession plan that led key executives to leave.

“It makes it a political process, where people are allying internally with different candidates,” Larcker said. “From a board perspective, they don’t want this to be a spectacle.”

Given Iger’s previous contract extensions, some openly wonder whether he will leave in 2026. But Rossbach believes he will.

“Our expectation is that Iger will conclude his term in 2026, although the exact way he does so will depend on who his successor is.”

Since his return in late 2022, Iger’s job has become one of slashing costs, fending off activists and fixing a laundry list of problems. Some of the thorniest of those challenges have been handed to the four people who are considered best placed to succeed him. How they perform may well determine who claims the throne in the Magic Kingdom.

Dana Walden, co-chair of Disney Entertainment​

Dana Walden at the Academy Awards in March.
Dana Walden: In her 25 years at Fox, the studios she oversaw racked up 184 Emmy awards © Emma McIntyre/Getty Images
At Disney, where many executives have worked for decades, Walden counts as a relative newcomer.

Walden, 59, arrived in 2019 following Disney’s acquisition of 21st Century Fox, where she was chief executive of the company’s television group. She came with deep connections in Hollywood, including hitmaking showrunners such as Ryan Murphy (Glee) and Elizabeth Meriwether (New Girl). She has a reputation for having an eye for talent.

If she were to be named chief executive, she would be the first woman to run Disney.

In her 25 years at Fox, the studios she oversaw racked up 184 Emmy awards — and she took the Fox Broadcast group from fourth place to first during her four years running the business.

At Disney, she oversees an array of TV businesses including ABC and ABC News, Disney’s TV studios, FX and National Geographic — all of which are in decline thanks to cord-cutting viewers ditching cable subscriptions and the rise of streaming.

To deal with this problem, Walden — who is also responsible for the streaming business with co-chair Alan Bergman — wants to make every new show a streaming show. This will mean that programmes running on traditional TV networks will also feed into Disney’s streaming services, helping to satisfy the insatiable demand for new content on the Hulu and Disney+ platforms. In theory, this should also lead to less “churn” or streaming cancellations.

The model is ABC’s hit sitcom Abbott Elementary, which also appears on Hulu — and reaches a broader audience.

Walden is also credited with revitalising kids’ programming at Disney by championing shows such as Percy Jackson & The Olympians — and for bringing The Kardashians to Hulu, where it has become a breakout hit for the streamer.

Alan Bergman, co-chair of Disney Entertainment​

Alan Bergman at the National Association of Theatre Owners
Alan Bergman is said to have gained the respect of the heads of the various studios © Kevin Winter/Getty Images for CinemaCon
Bergman is a rare creature in Hollywood: a studio chief who appears to shun the spotlight.

But despite keeping a low profile, Bergman, 58, is immensely powerful in Hollywood thanks to his oversight of Disney’s movie studios — a portfolio that includes Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm, Searchlight, 20th Century and the classic Disney studios.

Since becoming president of the studios in 2005, he has overseen remarkable success: Disney has produced four films that grossed more than $2bn at the box office and 22 others that topped the $1bn mark.

Recently, however, Bergman’s division has been attracting attention for a number of disappointments, leading Iger to announce that the company was scaling back its release slate in order to refocus on quality.

Recent lacklustre box office performance became one of the talking points for Peltz in his unsuccessful bid for a seat on Disney’s board. Upcoming releases including Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, Inside Out 2 and Deadpool & Wolverine could help change the narrative, but many analysts expect a full turnaround to take time.

Bergman’s brief also includes Disney’s streaming business, a responsibility he shares with Walden. The pair are overseeing an aggressive push for profitability in streaming, which the company expects to reach later this year. Ending the losses in streaming is a top priority for Iger.

Since Bergman joined Disney in 1996, he has gained a reputation as a savvy businessman, having served as the studio’s chief financial officer. And he is said to have gained the respect of the heads of the various studios, including Marvel’s Kevin Feige and Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy — both of whom are recalibrating after stretching too far to feed the Disney+ streaming service during its early push for subscribers.

A return to hitmaking form would be a boon to Bergman’s standing.

Jimmy Pitaro, ESPN chair​

Jimmys Pitaro at the Axios What’s Next Summit at the Planet Word Museum
James Pitaro is preparing to launch ESPN as a ‘flagship’ streaming service that will carry programming that appears on the TV network © Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images
Pitaro began his business career during the 1990s dotcom boom and had a long stint at Yahoo before joining Disney’s interactive division in 2010. As chair of ESPN, the sports network, he will need to draw heavily on his experience in digital media as he shifts the cable TV giant into a full streaming service next year.

ESPN, a pioneering cable sports network, was a chief growth engine for Disney for decades — drawing in advertising as well as hefty carriage fees from cable providers. As cord-cutting siphoned off cable subscribers in 2018, Pitaro launched ESPN+, an online service that offers documentaries and other sports content that does not appear on the TV channel.

Now Pitaro is preparing to launch ESPN as a “flagship” streaming service in August 2025 that will carry programming that appears on the TV network as well as gaming, shopping and other interactive content. A lot is riding on the launch. Iger said recently that he wants it to become the “pre-eminent digital sports platform”.

Before that big step, ESPN is also launching a sports streaming joint venture with Fox and Warner Bros this autumn. Iger has called the new service, which is aimed at younger people who have never had a cable subscription, a “significant moment for Disney”.

Investors are concerned that ESPN will have difficulty generating enough revenue growth to keep up with the rising costs of sports rights as it makes the transition to streaming, according to Wells Fargo analysts. But they also note that ESPN’s traditional TV business is nearing a “floor” of households who will never switch to streaming — making the timing right to launch its new streaming ventures.

Josh D’Amaro, chair of Disney Experiences​

Josh D’Amaro speaks at the opening ceremony of World of Frozen at Hong Kong Disneyland last year.
Josh D’Amaro is credited with using the pandemic shutdowns to refresh the parks and introduce new technology such as contactless entry © Vernon Yuen/NurPhoto via Reuters
As the head of Disney’s theme parks, D’Amaro has overseen a remarkable rebound since the pandemic restrictions began to lift in 2021.

After being completely shut down during the Covid-19 outbreak, the division has become the largest source of earnings at Disney, with operating income jumping 16 per cent last year on $32.5bn in revenue. D’Amaro, 53, is credited with using the shutdowns to refresh the parks and introduce new technology such as contactless entry.

“This [parks and experiences] business remains the earnings growth anchor for the company,” Morgan Stanley says. “We are bullish on its global growth potential in the near and long term.”

Iger is bullish, too. He announced a $60bn investment in the parks and experiences division over the next decade — in effect doubling the previous spending plan.

D’Amaro’s division, officially known as Disney Experiences, also includes its cruise lines and a consumer products division that ranges from Mickey Mouse sweatshirts to Buzz Lightyear figures. He was central to the decision-making behind Disney’s recent $1.5bn investment in Epic Games, which will see the two companies create a new version of Fortnite built around the company’s characters.

D’Amaro joined the company in 1998 as an employee at Disneyland and has worked his way up; today he oversees roughly 180,000 people.

Though the parks business is immensely important to Disney’s film business — theme park attractions deepen fans’ connections to characters and franchises — it is viewed as a separate universe from the movie, TV and animation divisions that form the company’s creative core.

This weighed heavily on Chapek, D’Amaro’s predecessor as parks chief, whose brief, stormy tenure as CEO was marked by tensions with talent and executives on the creative side of Disney.

But inside the company, D’Amaro is seen as a more natural communicator than Chapek, who some dismissively labelled “a parks guy”. D’Amaro has also worked with film executives including Marvel Studios head Feige as the parks have developed attractions around their characters.

“He’s not just a parks guy,” noted one associate.

https://www.ft.com/content/25d7ca65-0e70-4b03-a1b7-2b28a8ec40c6

Who can run Disney? The four insiders competing for Bob Iger’s job
Magic Kingdom’s unhappy record on succession means the candidates for its throne face intense investor scrutiny

Christopher Grimes in Los Angeles and Harriet Agnew in London
4/13/2024...
I think Josh D’Amaro should be given the lead. It is best for the company at this time. He seems to know how to spend the capital in the right places to keep people happy.
The other theme parks in Orlando are a plus. It doesn't matter how many days a visitor spends in WDW or the Universal parks. What is important is the quality of the visit at WDW. Customers will keep coming back if they have a good visit and enjoy the bubble.
It would be probably a loosing battle to try to fight for days from visitors. It is not a single demographic that can be measured and averaged out. Disney's greatest advantage is the synergies they can leverage from their different divisions. A good example is the free dinning plan for Disney+ subscribers. It costs the company to do this but it make the huge fan that is a subscriber feel the company is giving them something. That person will probably feel pretty good about their trip. It may be the case that some people will get a subscription to get that incentive. But maybe that is not the main objective. The company will make much more money from the huge fan in the long term.

https://www.wsj.com/lifestyle/travel/universal-disney-theme-park-dominance-a71ba4c6

The Threat in Disney World’s Backyard

Smaller rival Universal is expanding its parks, mobilizing Harry Potter, Super Mario and an army of Minions to steal away Disney visitors.

By Jacob Passy and Robbie Whelan
Updated April 13, 2024 12:08 am EDT

When the Universal Epic Universe theme park opens next year, it will add 750 acres populated by Harry Potter, Donkey Kong and dragons to the company’s Central Florida resort.

It will also be an epic shot across Walt Disney’s bow.

Just 10 miles down Interstate 4 is Walt Disney World, the biggest part of Disney’s most important profit engine, and the stuff of dreams for tens of millions of visitors a year.

To understand the stakes for both companies, consider this: A common vacation itinerary includes three or four days at Disney World and one or two days at Universal. If Universal can now persuade families to spend one more day at its parks instead of at Disney, it could nab hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue.

Universal’s timing couldn’t be better. It’s been five years since Disney opened a major expansion—or new land, in the company’s parlance—in Florida. Those years have coincided with multiple rounds of ticket-price increases, irking even some die-hard Disney fans.

Over the past decade, Disney’s parks division has become more strategically important to the company, with profits eclipsing those of the TV-networks division, which includes ESPN, ABC and Disney Channel.

Universal’s parent, Comcast, is mining box-office hits like “Despicable Me” and “How to Train Your Dragon” as it invests in its parks. The company set itself up for success with a “foot on the gas” strategy early in the Covid-19 pandemic that has meant it has fresh attractions to offer as demand rebounds, Chief Financial Officer Jason Armstrong said at a March investor conference.

If Universal flips enough families, it could be a big blow to Disney’s most-profitable division at a time when the company is struggling to juggle other priorities, including finding its next chief executive, reinvigorating its movie studios and making money in streaming.

It is a classic case of the smaller rival taking on the industry leader. The Disney division that includes theme parks—plus cruises, videogames and consumer products—posted $32.5 billion in sales for the fiscal year ending Sept. 30. Universal’s parks division brought in $8.95 billion in revenue last year.

“Guests have told us they love our brand of immersive storytelling, and that if we gave them more of that, they’d give us more of their time,” a Universal spokesperson said. “We looked at that strategically” and decided to build another park.

Disney says it has been steadily offering new and refreshed attractions, pointing to a host of well-reviewed thrill rides and renovations that have recently added sheen to aging parks like Epcot.

“Epic is Universal playing catch-up on a decade of nonstop development at Walt Disney World,” a Disney spokesperson said.

When Walt Disney World opened in 1971, almost five years after the death of the company’s namesake founder, admission cost $3.50 for an adult. Visitors could roam Magic Kingdom—the only theme park on the property at the time—and take in dozens of free attractions and performances, but had to purchase separate ticket books to get on rides like Jungle Cruise and Haunted Mansion.

As the resort expanded over the decades, filling more and more of the roughly 40 square miles of land Disney owns near Orlando with hotels and new parks, visits began to require more time and more planning. Families began mapping out longer visits so that they could explore other parts of the Walt Disney World Resort.

Disney’s last major addition in Florida arrived in 2019, when it opened a new land at its Hollywood Studios theme park called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, based on the popular science fiction franchise. Elsewhere in the U.S., Disney has made significant expansions, such as its Avengers Campus, added to the California Adventure park in Anaheim, Calif., in 2021.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind, a hit roller coaster that opened in 2022, simulates time travel by launching riders backward through a darkened solar system while music from pop artists like Blondie and Tears For Fears blares. Tron Lightcycle / Run, a nearly 60-m.p.h. screamer of a coaster that evokes the retro-futurism of the 1980s with neon lights and a synthesizer soundtrack, opened last year and is consistently mobbed by eager fans. A daily app-based waiting list for the coaster often maxes out.

“By staggering these major launches, we have been able to commercially and operationally optimize our new offerings over time, rather than having to do it all at once,” Disney CEO Bob Iger said in April. The company plans to announce a raft of new attractions at its D23 fan event this summer.

When Disney has swung for the fences recently, it hasn’t always connected. Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser, an ambitious interactive hotel experience that cost more than $350 million to build, closed less than two years after opening in 2022. Disney said it would use what it learned to guide decisions about future experiences.

Disney last year announced that it would spend $60 billion over a decade to “turbocharge” growth at the division that includes theme parks and cruises, but did not say how much would be spent on domestic parks.

Earlier this month, the company previewed a planned expansion of the Magic Kingdom park that’s about the size of Galaxy’s Edge. It has also begun work on a new section of Animal Kingdom in Orlando called Tropical Americas, based on themes from the movie “Encanto” and the Indiana Jones franchise. The company has not said when those areas will open. Most large expansions take years to complete.

“Give us something more exciting—something brand new that can keep bringing people back,” said Jenean Criscitiello, a 32-year-old Disney fan from the Chicago suburbs. She and her husband don’t have a trip planned to Disney this year in part because they weren’t eager to experience rides and attractions they’d already done dozens of times.

A Disney spokeswoman said fans have high expectations and the company is “always striving to deliver on those expectations and in fact exceed them.”

Political and legal skirmishes with Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis over the last two years complicated announcing any big expansions at Disney’s Florida parks.

Now, a legal truce reached last month between Disney and the state “will actually enable us to pursue the kinds of significant investment in our Florida parks” that fans want to see, Iger said at the company’s April shareholder meeting.
Universal finds ‘Jaws’

Universal’s theme-park roots stretch back to the 1960s, when it was a movie studio owned by MCA. Universal Pictures offered tours of its studio lot in Hollywood in red-and-white trams in an effort to increase profits. Originally, the tour drove through back lot areas, giving visitors a glimpse of movie stars and live film sets.

Over time, the tour grew more ambitious. Massive permanent sets were built to showcase special effects. Audio-animatronic versions of the shark from Steven Spielberg’s “Jaws” and King Kong were installed to thrill guests.

By the 1970s, MCA saw the success Disney had in exporting the Disneyland concept to Florida and began planning a movie studio-themed park in the Sunshine State. Universal Studios Florida opened in 1990, a year after Disney opened a new park of its own, now known as Hollywood Studios.

In 2007, Universal announced plans for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at its Universal Islands of Adventure theme park in Orlando. Attendance surged after the Harry Potter-themed area opened in 2010.

“Everybody saw the potential of doing that level, that kind of project, and what it could do for the company and for the parks and the resorts,” said Mike West, who has previously worked at both Disney and Universal designing theme-park attractions.

Quickly, Universal planned an expansion of the Harry Potter attractions at neighboring Universal Studios. The two areas are connected by a ride, inspired by the magical Hogwarts Express train, that shuttles between the parks. To experience that ride and both Harry Potter areas in the same day, visitors must purchase multipark tickets, which cost anywhere from $174 to $234 for a one-day adult ticket.

Other Potter attractions include a ride through Hogwarts called Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, plus several roller coasters, including Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure. The theme park opening next year is set to include a third Wizarding World, a land called Super Nintendo World and roller coasters like Starfall Racers and the Donkey Kong-themed Mine Cart Madness.

“Disney doesn’t have the shovels in the ground at this point to open anything that might directly compete with Epic,” said Robert Niles, a former Disney employee who once piloted rafts at the Tom Sawyer Island attraction at Walt Disney World and now runs the website Theme Park Insider.

Adding Up

If Orlando visitors spend one additional day and switch their lodging to Universal instead of Disney, it would have an impact.

Note: Budgets are for a family of four, with two kids over the age of 10, visiting Orlando the week of July 15 and staying at a mid-tier resort for five nights. Theme-park admission costs cover tickets that permit park hopping. Food costs cover two meals in the park per day—one counter-service, the other table-service—plus two snacks and bottles of water per person. Costs based on pricing information found on the companies' websites and include estimates for some items. Taxes not included.

Source: WSJ analysis of the companies’ publicly available information

David Holechek, a 42-year-old father of four in the Denver suburbs, owns a Disney timeshare and spends thousands of dollars each year to take his family to Walt Disney World. The Holecheks usually tack on a brief stop at the nearby Universal Orlando Resort.

The family is forgoing this year’s trip to Disney World. When they travel to Orlando next year, they expect to spend more days at Universal than at Disney for the first time.

A family of four visiting Disney World for a five-day, four-night stay in mid-July with Park Hopper tickets, a quick-service dining plan and a room in a moderate-tier hotel would spend upward of $5,000, not counting the cost of souvenirs or add-ons such as the Genie+ line-skipping service. Shortening the Disney leg by even a day would trim hundreds of dollars from their spending at the company’s parks and resorts.
The Imagineers

Iger and Josh D’Amaro, who oversees the Disney division that includes theme parks, have told employees that the parks business is at a transition point.

It is coming out of a few years focused on maximizing how much visitors spend each visit, or what it calls yield per visitor, by increasing ticket pricing and selling add-ons like line-skipping features. Now, the company is ready to return to steady rollouts of ambitious expansions, according to a manager in Disney’s parks division.

Devising new theme-park attractions has historically been a multiyear process, says Eddie Sotto, a former Imagineer, a member of the company’s elite team of theme-park designers, who now consults with theme parks through his own design firm.

“It’s very difficult to take an intellectual property or movie and say, ‘Well, this movie just suddenly became a surprise hit and now this ride needs to be there tomorrow,’ ” Sotto said.

Note: Disney figures for the segment including theme parks include operating income from theme parks, cruise lines, consumer product sales and merchandise licensing. The corresponding Comcast figures are Ebitda for theme parks and consumer products. Disney fiscal year ends Sept. 30. Comcast figures are for calendar years.

Sources: the companies

Revenue from the division has represented 30% to 40% of Disney’s overall revenue for most of the past decade, but the division’s share of operating income has grown steadily, to 69% in fiscal 2023 from 39% in 2018, making the business the darling of Disney and its most reliable driver of profit growth.

Iger holds a meeting every month or two to review major initiatives with Imagineers. He and D’Amaro, one of the executives on the shortlist of Iger’s potential successors as CEO, have delivered a clear message at recent meetings that one person in attendance described as: “Open the doors and show me your new visions.”

Fight for visitors

Over the past decade, Universal Orlando Resort has added multiple hotels that range from budget to luxury. This summer it will open a new section of the Universal Studios Florida park based on DreamWorks Animation’s films such as “Shrek” and “Trolls.” In recent years, Universal has also added rides to its Florida theme parks based on the Despicable Me, Fast & Furious and Jurassic World film franchises.

“We’ve seen Universal become more of a destination itself,” says Kari Dillon, owner of two travel agencies based in Huntersville, N.C.: Marvelous Memories Travels and Marvelous Mouse Travels. “We do a ton of split stays as it is right now, where people are going down and spending half their week at Disney and then taking the other half and going down to Universal.”

Attendance at Universal’s Florida theme parks has snowballed in the years since they first opened in 1990. Islands of Adventure attracted more than 11 million visitors in 2022, while Universal Studios had almost 10.8 million guests, according to data from the Themed Entertainment Association and consulting firm Aecom.

Disney’s Magic Kingdom, which had more than 17 million visitors in 2022, has long been the world’s most-visited theme park. But since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, attendance at Universal’s Islands of Adventure park has surpassed that of Disney World’s other three Orlando-area theme parks.

The new Universal park could lead Walt Disney World attendance to decline by about one million visitors in the two years spanning 2025 and 2026, according to a new analysis from MoffettNathanson, and boost overall attendance at Universal’s three parks in the area by more than eight million.

Craig Longhurst, who works in real-estate development and management in Winston-Salem, N.C., once a year typically takes his two sons, 15 and 10, each to Walt Disney World individually. Lately, he’s grown irritated at the rising cost of visiting the theme parks. The latest “Moana” themed walk-through attraction isn’t interesting enough to warrant a trip, he said.

“If they’re going to continue to charge these prices,” Longhurst said, “they’re going to have to invest in the parks and develop some new attractions that get me to part with my money.”

Write to Jacob Passy at jacob.passy@wsj.com and Robbie Whelan at robbie.whelan@wsj.com
Some interesting charts from that article:

1713021769838.png

1713021867387.png

1713021918094.png

1713022020156.png
1713022062254.png
1713022098497.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter