Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

I thought the ship departs on the 24th? Sounds like you need a hotel for one night. I would train or car into the city, stay in a hotel and then to the port on the 24th.

Im hoping you all can help with a few questions about arriving on Friday the 23rd, in Rome.
Our flight gets in at 10:30am. We want to explore as much of Rome as possible in the short time we are there.

Luggage, Im assuming we need to get this to the Viking ship, I don't want to drag luggage all day right..

So thats an Hour to get to the port from the airport. I see there is a Train that takes you just about to the port, fairly cheaply. Check in with Viking?

Then an hour back to Rome for many options. Train again?

The back to Port before 11pm

Just working this out in my head, does this sound reasonable?

any comments and or suggestions would be appreciative.

The ship leaves on Saturday not Friday. You will have the rest of the day Friday after you arrive plus Saturday morning until you go to the port.

Im hoping you all can help with a few questions about arriving on Friday the 23rd, in Rome.
Our flight gets in at 10:30am. We want to explore as much of Rome as possible in the short time we are there.

Luggage, Im assuming we need to get this to the Viking ship, I don't want to drag luggage all day right..

So thats an Hour to get to the port from the airport. I see there is a Train that takes you just about to the port, fairly cheaply. Check in with Viking?

Then an hour back to Rome for many options. Train again?

The back to Port before 11pm

Just working this out in my head, does this sound reasonable?

any comments and or suggestions would be appreciative.

We get in Friday morning as well, but as spending Friday night in Rome at the Bernini Bristol (as many others are staying there as well). Our plan is to get from the airport to the hotel and drop the bags assuming room not ready yet (not sure how yet, probably just taxi or something). Then will want to see a few things around town (Trivoli fountain, etc) and maybe try to get a nap in before we do the food tour in the evening. The next morning we are doing the early tour at the Vatican and then in one of the bus groups to go to port after lunch

Might be a bit busy but trying to do what we can in the ~28 hours or so we have

I picked up Fodor's 2018 Italy from Amazon. It includes a "Rome in a day" itinerary for hitting the highlights. It looked doable, consisted of some good choices, and we will certainly being taking advantage of it for one of our days in Rome. (We are flying early Tuesday, 3/20, and staying until the cruise departs.)

You might also be able to book a transfer from the airport to your hotel via the hotel. If not, you can look into booking private transport via: https://www.welcomepickups.com/rome...MIqoSH89WC2AIVFw4rCh35rAv1EAAYASAAEgJQBPD_BwE

You can store your luggage at the airport--I have the information for Fiumicino as for 6 euros per bag for each day. http://www.adr.it/pax-fco-deposito-bagagli-e-porteraggio
Chrome is your friend. I make extensive use of Google Translate on Italian websites when my husband (who speaks a bit of Italian) isn't around to translate.

If we know how many of us want to share a ride from the Bernini Bristol and can agree on a time, I could ask RomeinLimo what the cost would be. I've used them several times from Civitavecchia, and they do simple transfers.

I haven't been on these boards in some time and am trying to catch up: We would love to be included if you are hiring transport from Rome to the port in Civitavecchia the day of departure. If anyone is planning anything, would you let us know? Thank you, and in the meanwhile, i will try to catch up on all the posts.

Hi Folks,

Im getting emails asking if the trip to Orvieto is compatible with any of the previously scheduled tours.

It is not. We will not be back in time.

I have asked for a 9am departure from the Bernini Bristol.

Its a 90 mile drive, so I'm guessing arrival in Orvieto at 10:30 - 11:00am

I have requested a 4:00pm departure from Orvieto, so I am guessing at a 6:30 - 7:00pm arrival back at the Bernini.

I have requested a full sized bus and approximately half of the seats have been claimed.

Kevin

Sounds good Chandra! I'm going to wait another day before booking - maybe we can get another van of 6. I may set up to leave around the same time if they have it available. Otherwise we may need to adjust. I'll keep you in the loop! Have a great time on your current trip!!

Please let us know if there is any room in a shared ride for two of us from Rome to the port of Civitavecchia the day of departure. Thank you!!

Please let us know if there is any room in a shared ride for two of us from Rome to the port of Civitavecchia the day of departure. Thank you!!

Hey there! Unfortunately our van is full with Gina, Steve, Karen C. and my husband any myself. If it helps we booked through Rome in Limo and they were very easy to use and pretty reasonable if you can share the cost.

For those also staying at the Bristol, we also are looking to share transport to the port - happy to chip in on Romeinlimo for an after lunch departure (also doing the early morning vatican tour)...

For those also staying at the Bristol, we also are looking to share transport to the port

Hi...mom and I are a party of two who also need transportation to the port that day so we would be onboard (also doing the am Vatican tour)

I think Cackyschmackers is also looking for transportation that day...

Hi all. I am looking into a tour of the forum plus the colosseum (including the 3rd tier) on Thursday am. Not sure it will be possible yet as it’s normally a wednesday tour.

I was hoping for business class, but couldn't justify the cost. Granted, we're flying from NY area, so the flights aren't that bad. I have MileagePlus Gold status on United, so I was at least able to reserve Economy Plus seats at Economy prices. I did manage to get bulkhead seats, so that is as close to the comfort accorded Business/First as seems financially reasonable. I'm going to try to get us upgraded with mileage, but I am not hopeful that will work out--but we're waitlisted for the elusive mileage + cash upgrade to Polaris. I do tons of business travel to Europe (and beyond). I have rarely been able to score an upgrade, paid or with miles, on international flights. Sigh.

If you're looking for hints, though, on a wide-body aircraft--the center bank of seats is more comfortable that the banks of seats on either side. You can also feign sleep and others in your row can "go the other way" if they need to leave their seats. ;-)

I like the window seat, which will be especially useful on this trip, so I can see where I am landing ;)!

Speaking of wide body.... Did you know that the 787's are quieter and have higher humidity levels than other jets? I look forward to this, as the noise and dryness are very annoying/uncomfortable....

Any suggestions are what time of day is best to arrive at FCO? Leaving time is not really an issue, I just need to figure what time is best to leave. It's an 11 hour flight, and a 9 hour time change.... Any suggestions?

Probably earliest day I can arrive would be the 21st....

Thanks!

Most flights to FCO from the US are going to be red eyes. They will probably get you there in the morning, sometime between 9 and 12 most likely. I don't think you've really got much choice as to when you arrive. I was looking at flights from Orlando and had a choice of lights arriving between 7 am and 11:30 on Delta. I don't recall seeing flights that arrived later in the day other than those that had long layovers in a connecting city.

Have you looked into Blacklane? www.blacklane.com Looks like reasonable prices from the airport to the hotel for a limo.

Thanks for sharing that - not an expert on what is typical pricing, but didn't seem outlandish

We have never been to FCO airport - any thoughts on how long it would take to get through customs and get our bags, etc.? When booking the car it says they will wait 60 mins at the airport so just wondering when to set it for - do want to wait around for it, but don't want to miss our window if it takes hours to get through customs, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter