Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Thanks for everyone's input. I think we are going to go with Dark Rome Tours otherwise known as City Wonders Tours. We like the idea of the early entry into the Sistine Chapel, and we definitely want to see the museums. So we're going to go with their early entry Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums tour. Their early entry Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica tour with the crypts does not give you access to the museums, so this seems like the best bet and a priority for us. After we spend the time we'd like in the museums, I guess then we'll have to deal with the lines at St. Peters. Thanks again, Everyone.

sounds good - I think for us seeing St. Peter's is the priority over the museum (obviously seeing everything would be great, but just trying to prioritize) so that is why we are likely to do that option, but totally understand your thinking as well

sounds good - I think for us seeing St. Peter's is the priority over the museum (obviously seeing everything would be great, but just trying to prioritize) so that is why we are likely to do that option, but totally understand your thinking as well

The Raphael rooms, Sistine chapel and St. Peter's are my priority too. I think based on my previous Vatican museum experience, I would prefer to do the museum not with a tour if I do them at all. Clearly if they're part of an after hour tour with a very empty Sistine Chapel I would consider it.

The actual museum portion reminds me of the Met in NYC- so. Much. Art. if I go to the museum I want to wander to what I am interested in. This is why I want to use a tour to get into difficult/high yield areas. Just my 2 cents based on my priorities.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think we are going to go with Dark Rome Tours otherwise known as City Wonders Tours. We like the idea of the early entry into the Sistine Chapel, and we definitely want to see the museums. So we're going to go with their early entry Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museums tour. Their early entry Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica tour with the crypts does not give you access to the museums, so this seems like the best bet and a priority for us. After we spend the time we'd like in the museums, I guess then we'll have to deal with the lines at St. Peters. Thanks again, Everyone.
I think you'll enjoy the Vatican. I know I did

The Raphael rooms, Sistine chapel and St. Peter's are my priority too. I think based on my previous Vatican museum experience, I would prefer to do the museum not with a tour if I do them at all. Clearly if they're part of an after hour tour with a very empty Sistine Chapel I would consider it.

The actual museum portion reminds me of the Met in NYC- so. Much. Art. if I go to the museum I want to wander to what I am interested in. This is why I want to use a tour to get into difficult/high yield areas. Just my 2 cents based on my priorities.

Just to clarify, the tour we are choosing is not a guided tour for the museums portion. After the Sistine Chapel, the tour guide gives you a map and will answer brief questions, but you are on your own to wander as you please til closing. Obviously we can only spend a few hours there since it's the day we board. Also, i believe it's not in/out access. Just one entry then, we'd most likely go to the Basilica.

Just an FYI Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern is airing a repeat. Rome: Porchetta, Pecorino and Pizza. 5/15 3PM. Although it sounds kind of normal, my guess is he will still be eating brains at some point.

Have a great time away Kevin! Look forward to seeing you in a few weeks!

DH and I are planning to do the same express tour as well. Our main priority is seeing the Sistine Chapel without a ton of other people since our experience on ABD was super crowded and rushed. And we would like to see the crypts since we didn't get to do that last time. The museums were great but not something we felt the need to repeat. We also might try to add a colosseum tour through them on Friday morning as well since that was another thing I wished we would have had more time to do on our ABD.

Just to clarify, the tour we are choosing is not a guided tour for the museums portion. After the Sistine Chapel, the tour guide gives you a map and will answer brief questions, but you are on your own to wander as you please til closing. Obviously we can only spend a few hours there since it's the day we board. Also, i believe it's not in/out access. Just one entry then, we'd most likely go to the Basilica.

Don't miss St. Peter's. I missed it and it sounds amazing- I tried going back as we did an evening tour and St Peter's was closed at that point and of course it was closed again b/c the Pope was in the square.

I think your plan is a good one. Viewing the Raphael rooms (4 rooms prior to sistine chapel) and the sistine chapel are very important. Museum I think can be skipped- its interesting, but not on the same awe inspiring level as the basilica or the chapel. The chapel is at the end of the museum, and not sure they allow you backwards at that point. Most people do go onto Peters at that point if it's open.

DH and I are planning to do the same express tour as well. Our main priority is seeing the Sistine Chapel without a ton of other people since our experience on ABD was super crowded and rushed. And we would like to see the crypts since we didn't get to do that last time. The museums were great but not something we felt the need to repeat. We also might try to add a colosseum tour through them on Friday morning as well since that was another thing I wished we would have had more time to do on our ABD.

My 10-15 min in the chapel were also rushed, crowded and overall disappointing as I wanted more time and fewer people. I'd rather pay more to get fewer people to really appreciate it. Look for a colosseum tour that has the 3rd level/tier. Few groups go up to that area and the view from the top was pretty neat. What are the vatican crypts?

Last edited:
Don't miss St. Peter's. I missed it and it sounds amazing- I tried going back as we did an evening tour and St aPeter's was closed at that point and of course it was closed again b/c the Pope was in the square.

I think your plan is a good one. Viewing the Raphael rooms (4 rooms prior to sistine chapel) and the sistine chapel are very important. Museum I think can be skipped- its interesting, but not on the same awe inspiring level as the basilica or the chapel. The chapel is at the end of the museum, and not sure they allow you backwards at that point. Most people do go onto Peters at that point if it's open.

My 10-15 min in the chapel were also rushed, crowded and overall disappointing as I wanted more time and fewer people. I'd rather pay more to get fewer people to really appreciate it. Look for a colosseum tour that has the 3rd level/tier. Few groups go up to that area and the view from the top was pretty neat. What are the vatican crypts?

Per the Dark Rome site for the tour being discussed: " Below the Basilica is the Vatican Crypt. This is where the most important Popes in Church history, including Pope John Paul II, have been buried. Access to the Vatican Crypt is not usually granted to group tours, so take advantage of this special opportunity."

I think the one we are looking at does include the 3rd level of the colosseum, which we also didn't have on our ABD, so I'm looking forward to that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter