Dis / Dreams Viking Sea Cruise around Italy 3/24 - 3/31/2018

Context got back to the regarding the after hours Vatican tour. They said dates for 2018 have not been released yet and get released at mid June. They will reach back to me then. They were wondering about how many I had to book. So if you're interested Friday night tour of the Vatican museums and Sistine chapel please PM me with how many in your group.

Hi Will! Bruce and I would love to go on the Friday night tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel! We would probably be up for Kevin's walking/food tours too but I am still pondering going to Orvieto for glass/pottery on Friday if there is still a group heading out to do that.....

Ok, I'm not sure how I managed to get my message imbedded into my quote....but, in case you miss it, Bruce and I are in for the Vatican tour and probably some of the walking tours but also want to go to Orvieto. I LOVE the Muppet quote Kevin - it's spot on!

I mentioned thus before, but the Hop On/Hop Off bus stops right in front of the hotel.

It's a great way to get an overview of the highlights of Rome and allows you to hop off and see what you want to see and hop back on to the next thing.

You also receive a headset and there are recorded info packages about what you are seeing.

Might be less expensive than getting taxis.
I love the HO-HO's in places I've used them in the US, so I can only assume/hope Europe would also be like this - great suggestion!

I was always more of a yodels fan ;)
Smart booty. :wave2::laughing:

I will even (albeit VERY sheepishly) admit it took me a VERY long time to figure out what a HO HO even WAS while doing research before my 1st time using one!! :o

Italywithus.com emailed me back regarding the after hours Vatican tour. Their price is 350 Euros each in a small group or 3600 totally private. I guess if there were more than 10 people signing up, a totally private tour would be less. They also said dates for next year are typically released in the fall.
Context quoted me 3300 for 10 people and 4380 for a max of 20 people.

Karen-
Tracking....

tell me about the pottery/glass? How does the glass in Orviento compare to Venice?

Thanks

So it looks like we will be taking over a hotel in Rome and then another one in Venice!

I'll be at the bristol in Rome, but the Westin in Venice. Got a nice reasonable rate there- the other hotel only had a junior suite or above for 750 euros a night. I'll take my canal view room for 330 euros. But I'll swing buy for drinks and chilling....

Just as an FYI, we were looking into plans, and likely just going to get into Rome Friday morning - Plan is:

- Lunch at Pane e Salame ... and also pick up a few bottles of wine there to bring on the cruise
- Exploring Rome, either hop-on/hop-off bus or just walking - want to see Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, maybe the Coliseum if we are up for it (though, likely just to see / take pictures from the outside) - probably a few other things, just explore a bit
- Dinner somewhere (thinking maybe Armando al Pantheon ... looks good and right be Pantheon)
-> though if there is a food tour in the evening we could be interested in that instead

Saturday morning:
- Express Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, and Vatican Crypt Tour ... starts before regular opening and is done by 9:30am .... then head to port

(trying to maximize the little time we will have there without going too crazy)

That wine bar/restaunt got good trip advisor reviews. I recommend going into the Coliseum. Thought it was worth it- especially the 3rd level and below (not every tour does that). They allow some people up to the top and below to see wha the cages where like.

I might end up doing the Express tour- I am really only interested in the Sistine Chapel, St Peters and the Raphael rooms. the actually vatican museum is good, but just so much to do, it be worth it to cut most of that out. Though a private night tour just sounds amazing.

The food tour is in the evening and is through eatingitaly.

As of now, I arrive of the 21st...that gives 3 days for "stuff".

Orvieto is known for pottery.

We love Ceramiche Giacomini in Orvieto.

If you are looking for glass...Venice is the place for that.

That wine bar/restaunt got good trip advisor reviews. I recommend going into the Coliseum. Thought it was worth it- especially the 3rd level and below (not every tour does that). They allow some people up to the top and below to see wha the cages where like.

I might end up doing the Express tour- I am really only interested in the Sistine Chapel, St Peters and the Raphael rooms. the actually vatican museum is good, but just so much to do, it be worth it to cut most of that out. Though a private night tour just sounds amazing.

The food tour is in the evening and is through eatingitaly.

As of now, I arrive of the 21st...that gives 3 days for "stuff".

Thanks for the input - I'd be interested in going into the Coliseum, but just thinking of time, and might not have time to really do that fully and see the other things in one afternoon.

I am the same as you with the priorities of the Vatican

I looked at the food tour, that definitely sounds good (I saw some others that I thought people mentioned that were only in the morning/mid-day). If the group is looking at do that Friday evening we'd definitely be interested but if people do it another time we can keep ourselves busy as well :D

My top priority is the food tour as well. Realistically that's probably best done on Friday night for us.

I'd love to do an after hours Vatican tour as well if possible, but it may conflict even if dates that work are announced. Will, I did the advanced math for the Vatican tour that I found, but your option is cheaper. If we can't do the after hours tour, we'd be interested in the Express tour. We've done the Vatican before, but I'd like to go back to the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's and skip most of the museum. This thread has been moving so quickly, but was there a discussion on doing express tour the morning we head out to the port?

My top priority is the food tour as well. Realistically that's probably best done on Friday night for us.

I'd love to do an after hours Vatican tour as well if possible, but it may conflict even if dates that work are announced. Will, I did the advanced math for the Vatican tour that I found, but your option is cheaper. If we can't do the after hours tour, we'd be interested in the Express tour. We've done the Vatican before, but I'd like to go back to the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's and skip most of the museum. This thread has been moving so quickly, but was there a discussion on doing express tour the morning we head out to the port?

i believe @TheMaxRebo posted about it.
I think first we see if the dates for after hours tour are available- then price it out and who is interested vs doing a food tour. The only issue with the after hours tour is you don't get into St Peters, but I would do a separate St Peter's tour just to have the sistine chapel almost empty at night.

I think first we see if the dates for after hours tour are available- then price it out and who is interested vs doing a food tour. The only issue with the after hours tour is you don't get into St Peters, but I would do a separate St Peter's tour just to have the sistine chapel almost empty at night.

That is what we are looking to do, the Vatican Saturday morning this tour specifically: https://darkrome.com/vatican-tours/vatican-tour-sistine-chapel-st-peters-basilica .... starts at 7:20am and then done by 9:30 so plenty of time to relax, do any other last minute things in rome and then get to the port

Just wanted to vent.... I work with 7 other people who cross cover each other. I thought that this was ridiculous but I happened to mention to our scheduling secretary that I had this cruise next March and did she think that I was being overly cautious wondering if I should officially put the paperwork in already to request the time off. One other person already had that time blocked :scared1: because they have kids and it is Easter week so since we can only have 2 out at a time we processed my paperwork yesterday. This is just something to keep in mind, especially for those of you like me who have adult kids and don't pay attention to this.

Retirement can't come fast enough
Chris

I already put in my request though I may have to tweak a day at the beginning and end. The other girl I work with at our clinic is known to go on cruises the week after Easter but next year that week will be all mine!! Lol

Sounds like a plan!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter