DIS Divas Trip! (old thread, see first post for link to new one)

Hi. Beth!
MY DH is the MASTER of rainbow cupcakes! He makes them for work all the time -- as some may know, he's a Alberta Sheriff,and was shot in the hand two weeks ago. He's recovering with a good attitude. But has a long road ahead of him -- one of the Judges at the courthouse said this injury doesn't get him out of making cupcakes,LOL!
It's easy peasy, I taught him.....you mix a white box cake mix to directions for cupcakes, then split into 8 small bowls/ or disposable cups. Add food colouring to each cup to make various couloirs of the rainbow. In a muffin tin lined with papers, start by layering one colour ( a couple teaspoons in the bottom of the paper, then move to the next colour, and so on....until you've layered each colour. Bake as usual, they come out funky/layered colours and so pretty! If you screwup or want to do something other than layered, just mix with a tooth pick after layering, swirl the batter -- it turns out funky tie-died look! A neat variation.
Here's a pic of hubby's latest batch :)
05815d6da940e5a616da9970b6243a11_zps6561e383.jpg

I make cupcakes like this every Easter. They are a big hit with my day care kids. I was out shopping today and couldn't believe how much orange is out there. Clothes, purses, shoes and even a couch!

In July or August (not processed until after May.. yes it is weird), I will get a nice chunk o change for my Diva 2014 fund. Hooray!!! Hurrah! :goodvibes
:banana: :cool1:

I so NEED this trip. Speaking of shopping I LOOOVE Kohls too , sounds like a great way to spend the day. I did buy myself a new pair of jeans for my trip at Macys - Jessica Simpson has a new line of clothing and they were the best fitting and not ridicluosly expensive either. Fitting jeans for me is a
nightmare..but i'm happy to have some new ones to show off :thumbsup2
New jeans that fit, look good and don't break the bank? Total cause for celebration!!

I was out shopping today and couldn't believe how much orange is out there. Clothes, purses, shoes and even a couch!
Orange. Is. Awesome. :thumbsup2

Hi ladies! Hope you all are having a nice weekend! :flower3:

Today was a great day! I love being with my family. Payson went on his first outing outside at the park. We had a lot of fun!

Yummy cupcakes! I think I am going to try and make some of those for my husband's birthday. Way cute!

Really? That is easy! I think I'll make these with the girls this weekend.

Someone educate me on HP. Would you believe I've never read any of the books, nor seen any of the movies. :sad2:

I started reading them to my son a few months ago. I read out loud to him so we get time together and once we are done with the book we watch the corresponding movie together! It's a lot of fun!

Love Harry Potter! Great vocabulary although I do worry sometimes about freaking out the 6yo. We started at the beginning of summer break in 2011 and just barely started Deathly Hallows (7th and final book) last week. I am reading it aloud to the boys.

I understand! My son is almost 8 and we are on book 3. I have a feeling he will be 9 or 10 by the time I am willing to read him book 7!

Hi. Beth!
MY DH is the MASTER of rainbow cupcakes! He makes them for work all the time -- as some may know, he's a Alberta Sheriff,and was shot in the hand two weeks ago. He's recovering with a good attitude. But has a long road ahead of him -- one of the Judges at the courthouse said this injury doesn't get him out of making cupcakes,LOL!
It's easy peasy, I taught him.....you mix a white box cake mix to directions for cupcakes, then split into 8 small bowls/ or disposable cups. Add food colouring to each cup to make various couloirs of the rainbow. In a muffin tin lined with papers, start by layering one colour ( a couple teaspoons in the bottom of the paper, then move to the next colour, and so on....until you've layered each colour. Bake as usual, they come out funky/layered colours and so pretty! If you screwup or want to do something other than layered, just mix with a tooth pick after layering, swirl the batter -- it turns out funky tie-died look! A neat variation.
Here's a pic of hubby's latest batch :)
05815d6da940e5a616da9970b6243a11_zps6561e383.jpg

I love these! Can't wait to try them with the kids! Probably during our next family fun weekend! Thanks for the instructions!

Good Saturday! :goodvibes

About ready to go out and paint our garage cabinets. They got moved around in the remodel process, and I am finally getting to them. The stuff that was in them, is all over the place, and now I need that space for a temporary kitchen.

It's the domino effect here. :scared:

Have a grand day! :flower3:

Good luck with that! I have decided to tackle going through and touching up the different rooms in my house on my furlough days. I figure since I am supposed to be working that day I might as well work at home so that my weekends with my husband are more free for fun and family!

Hello all my lovely ladies <3

Spending a not so happy Saturday at work today..frustrated with circumstances but making the best of it while being forced into an hour of overtime tonight..joy.

There will be drinking tonight..:rotfl:

I hate that I have been so busy and tired to not keep up..you guys are too quick for me ! I'm also counting down every day and minute to our trip in April..3 weeks from today..and trying to plan things out.

On that note..my husband still hasn't cracked what my "surprise" dinner is at DLR. I am secretly hoping it's Napa Rose Chef's counter..but don't think I am that lucky. We are already doing Blue Bayou on Wednesday ( our last day) with several friends so I know it's not that.

We booked the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour so I am so excited about doing that on Tuesday of our trip. It's going to be a busy trip but so worth it.

I hope everyone else is doing great. Miss you awesome people :)

I can't wait to hear what the surprise is! And have fun with the WIWF tour. I did that a few years ago and loved it! It made me tear up a few times!

Thanks for the well wishes. It's been a rough month with alot of illness around the office including myself with a newly diagnosed issue..:scared:

It's been crazy at work today and I just keep telling myself overtime for disney..overtime for disney though the alcohol at home is calling my name!!

I so NEED this trip. Speaking of shopping I LOOOVE Kohls too , sounds like a great way to spend the day. I did buy myself a new pair of jeans for my trip at Macys - Jessica Simpson has a new line of clothing and they were the best fitting and not ridicluosly expensive either. Fitting jeans for me is a
nightmare..but i'm happy to have some new ones to show off :thumbsup2

I hope you are ok. I know we haven't met yet, but I have a feeling we are going to get along pretty well. I so hear you on the jeans!

Hi ladies! Hope you all are having a nice weekend! :flower3:

Today was a great day! I love being with my family. Payson went on his first outing outside at the park. We had a lot of fun!

Yummy cupcakes! I think I am going to try and make some of those for my husband's birthday. Way cute!

Yeah Payson!

As for me, this is Family Fun Weekend so we have tried out a local restaurant for breakfast - the portions were HUGE! Then we went to a St. Paddy's day parade, a local bird show, the library where we checked out some books and movies, and now we are home. We had one of the kids' favorite meals and are going to watch Shirley Temple in Curly Top once the kids are ready for bed! I hope everyone is having a great day!

Laters,

:banana: :cool1:

New jeans that fit, look good and don't break the bank? Total cause for celebration!!

YES! This is soooo true!

I can't wait to hear what the surprise is! And have fun with the WIWF tour. I did that a few years ago and loved it! It made me tear up a few times!

I hope you are ok. I know we haven't met yet, but I have a feeling we are going to get along pretty well. I so hear you on the jeans!

Thank you both :) I'm okay..just officially realized I am lactose intolerant and have irritable bowel syndrome..oh lucky me..LOL.

Could be worse ;)

Those cupcakes look like so much fun! I think I am going to try my hand at those tomorrow or sometime this week.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Mine is ok so far. Yesterday wasn't so fun. I lost my job. I have been suffering from some depression, and have missed quite a bit of work, so yesterday I went to the doctor, and he suggested that I lower my hours at work to see if that might help. Well the boss didn't like that, so I got let go. :( I am kind of relieved cause I didn't really like the job that much anyways, but it still sucks to get fired! Also it was decent money.

So now I gotta get hunting for a new job so I can go on all my planned Disney trips. My only problem now is, I have no idea what i want to do. I really don't like to work, which is one of the reasons I get depressed, so it's really hard to me to find a job that I can stick to. So we will see what happens in the next little while. For now, I am just going to enjoy the extra time with my son. :goodvibes

((hugs)) Andrea I know how you feel. I worked from the time I was a teen until my 30's and then when I got married the 2nd time I got pg with my first daughter and my ex and I decided we wanted me home to be with the girls. Take them to and from school participate in their schooling, sports etc. I have done that for the last 14 years and when we split in 11 I was left hanging. I am not thrilled about going back to the regular workforce either. I have worked part time for my family's business for years but it is now not enough to live off of and I have been searching since my ex and I split and there is just NOTHING. After being out of a real job for so long, my age and the fact that most of the stuff I am looking at doesn't pay much and would keep me from being able to take the girls to school etc it is really hard. I just wish I could get something to work from home or work around my schedule but in this day and age and economy you are lucky to get ANY job. It really sucks. ((hugs)) and good luck to you!!

Hi all.

Since I've been gone forever and a day, and there are so many new people...I figured I should do an intro...so here goes.

I'm Amy. 41 years old, mom of 3. I live in Albuquerque, NM. Moved here a year ago from Vegas. I went to the Diva trip in 2009 (I think?) and got to see some of the Divas in Vegas as well from time to time.

After the 2009 trip I went through a horrible divorce. Was painful and exhausting, but the best thing I ever did. Unfortunately, it made it difficult for me to participate much.

Last year I was offered a position here in Albuquerque and I decided to take a chance and accept it. It was pretty scary since I didn't know a soul here (had never even been to the state!), but everything has fallen in place since that moment. I LOVE my job, I'm able to have a much better work/life balance, and it's a great place to raise kids. If that wasn't enough...shortly after arriving I met the most amazing man. We've been together for almost a year now and I can't imagine life without him. He also has an incredible, huge family who have adopted the kids and I without hesitation. So....life is busy, but great.

He knows (and accepts) my love of Disney, and encouraged me to plan on the next Diva trip (since I talked about it so much)...so here I am! :cool1:

We're planning a surprise trip to WDW with the kiddos in May. I can't wait. He's never been, and neither has my youngest.

I caught up with the entire thread (phew!) and I promise to keep current but I don't post near as much as I should.

Hobbies....movies, reading, food/wine/beer, scrapbooking, travel, art, theater...and Disney of course!

I look forward to seeing old friends again, and to meeting new ones!! :grouphug:

Amy

Those cupcakes look like so much fun! I think I am going to try my hand at those tomorrow or sometime this week.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Mine is ok so far. Yesterday wasn't so fun. I lost my job. I have been suffering from some depression, and have missed quite a bit of work, so yesterday I went to the doctor, and he suggested that I lower my hours at work to see if that might help. Well the boss didn't like that, so I got let go. :( I am kind of relieved cause I didn't really like the job that much anyways, but it still sucks to get fired! Also it was decent money.

So now I gotta get hunting for a new job so I can go on all my planned Disney trips. My only problem now is, I have no idea what i want to do. I really don't like to work, which is one of the reasons I get depressed, so it's really hard to me to find a job that I can stick to. So we will see what happens in the next little while. For now, I am just going to enjoy the extra time with my son. :goodvibes

*HUGS* to you ! Dealing with depression is difficult especially because it's what I consider an "invisible" condition that people often just snuff at and think is no big deal..but it IS real to those that experience it or have in the past.

I went through something similar about a year ago. I worked for a hotel and always put in extra time and what not - bent over backwards and worked every holiday even though I had seniority. I got quite ill including have a depression evaluation early in Jan 2012. I brought all my medical documentation as I always had before when sick - and my manager scuffed at me , dragged me up to HR and they basically tried to bully me into quitting.

They cut my hours from 40 to about 15 a week..I was devastated but within a few weeks they needed me back fulltime so they bumped me back..but I realized then how truly unhappy I was.

I didn't find the job I have now until October 2012 but it was worth the wait. besides a huge pay increase..I am HAPPY. Bad days happen..and it's in the same realm of what I enjoy ( customer service) but I have a good company , co workers and even managers that value me. Take things day by day but don't be afraid to do what is best for you. I wish you luck :cheer2:

So we will see what happens in the next little while. For now, I am just going to enjoy the extra time with my son. :goodvibes

:flower3: Sorry to hear that you're going through a rough patch. Hopefully you can get some kind of unemployment benefit in the meantime since you were let go. Not sure how long you worked there, but can they do that when you have a medical reason for reducing your hours? That seems a bit discriminatory - not to mention just plain sucky to have to deal with.

It's hard to go find some kind of work when you really don't want to. Sounds like, for now, being at home with your little man is best so enjoy it while it lasts.

DisneyStitch626 said:

((Hugs)). Sad that they let you go and wasn't willing to work with you. That is sad. I believe a company can get in trouble for that since their was a medical doctor involved that recommended lower hours. In the meantime. Take care of your. Let
Old doors close and new ones will open. :)

bigskyernurse said:
Hi all.

Since I've been gone forever and a day, and there are so many new people...I figured I should do an intro...so here goes.

I'm Amy. 41 years old, mom of 3. I live in Albuquerque, NM. Moved here a year ago from Vegas. I went to the Diva trip in 2009 (I think?) and got to see some of the Divas in Vegas as well from time to time.

After the 2009 trip I went through a horrible divorce. Was painful and exhausting, but the best thing I ever did. Unfortunately, it made it difficult for me to participate much.

Last year I was offered a position here in Albuquerque and I decided to take a chance and accept it. It was pretty scary since I didn't know a soul here (had never even been to the state!), but everything has fallen in place since that moment. I LOVE my job, I'm able to have a much better work/life balance, and it's a great place to raise kids. If that wasn't enough...shortly after arriving I met the most amazing man. We've been together for almost a year now and I can't imagine life without him. He also has an incredible, huge family who have adopted the kids and I without hesitation. So....life is busy, but great.

He knows (and accepts) my love of Disney, and encouraged me to plan on the next Diva trip (since I talked about it so much)...so here I am! :cool1:

We're planning a surprise trip to WDW with the kiddos in May. I can't wait. He's never been, and neither has my youngest.

I caught up with the entire thread (phew!) and I promise to keep current but I don't post near as much as I should.

Hobbies....movies, reading, food/wine/beer, scrapbooking, travel, art, theater...and Disney of course!

I look forward to seeing old friends again, and to meeting new ones!! :grouphug:

Amy

Hello. :). This sounds like me. Went through a divorce in 2011 (waz final in 2011) transferred (with my job)to the west coast only knowing a couple of people. Now things are so much better!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Oh, about that...

So on the DIVA trip several ladies kept telling me I could sign up on Facebook without using my actual name, which I'd rather not have out there for privacy reasons. I figured I could sign up basically for access to the DIS DIVAS page, right? So yesterday I tried setting one up with an alias, and ran into some difficulty because the software suspected I was using a fake name! (Did I mention I'm the world's worst liar...?) :rolleyes2

So I am trying to get on, and will let you know if it finally works, GEESH!

Sign up under a pet's name. Or a long lost relative. Great great great grandma would probably work. LOL

Happy Saturday, everyone!! :goodvibes
I went out to Kohls today. First time since December! That's a record for me since it's just down the street and I used to go like every other weekend. Trying to cut back on spending though so now I only go every few months. I had a coupon for $10 to spend on anything. I got 8 pairs of cute socks with fun designs (cupcakes on one of them!), and a tank top for Noelle for only 5 bucks including tax. I love deals! :cool1:

I'm holding off on Kohl's until Thursday. I have one of those $10 off $30 coupons, but I also have one of those 30% off your purchase coupons! Woo hoo! Hopefully they will have something good on sale too. LOL

I lost my job. I have been suffering from some depression, and have missed quite a bit of work, so yesterday I went to the doctor, and he suggested that I lower my hours at work to see if that might help. Well the boss didn't like that, so I got let go. :( I am kind of relieved cause I didn't really like the job that much anyways, but it still sucks to get fired! Also it was decent money.

Wow. That sucks. The labor laws must be different there because I know if a company is told by an employee here that their doctor recommends changing something at work, they have to comply if it's reasonable for them to do so. I would say reducing your hours was probably a reasonable request.

Well here they are allowed, to but they have to give severance pay to do so. So I get a little bit of money for that, but it won't be much cause I was only there 8 months. It's ok though, I am actually relieved cause I really didnt like it there. My real problem now is finding something I actually might enjoy doing or I am going to end up in the same position all over again.

It is allowed here, but the company has to give severance in order to do that. So I get a little bit of extra pay, but it still sucks. I am kind of relieved cause I really didnt like it there, but now I have to look for another job and I have no idea what I want to do. I can only think of offices in the oil industry, food and retail. I have tried all three and haven't enjoyed it, so I am running out of options and its part of what's getting me so depressed I think. That and I'd rather be at home with Seth. But can't really afford that.

I'm holding off on Kohl's until Thursday. I have one of those $10 off $30 coupons, but I also have one of those 30% off your purchase coupons! Woo hoo! Hopefully they will have something good on sale too. LOL

I love those coupons. Used one yesterday and got some Levi capris for $20 plus I got a $10 Kohls cash coupon.

Happy Sunday, ladies! I hope you all had a good St. Patty's Day! :thumbsup2

Awww, how fun. That sounds like a great day.

As for me, this is Family Fun Weekend so we have tried out a local restaurant for breakfast - the portions were HUGE! Then we went to a St. Paddy's day parade, a local bird show, the library where we checked out some books and movies, and now we are home. We had one of the kids' favorite meals and are going to watch Shirley Temple in Curly Top once the kids are ready for bed! I hope everyone is having a great day!

Laters,
What an awesome Family Fun Weekend! I want to be in your house!

Hey Andrea, I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I hope you are able to find something else you enjoy. What about taking in some kids to watch? That way you could stay home with your son and still make some money. :confused3

Hi all.

Amy!! Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes! So glad to see you back on here. :goodvibes

I went back to Kohls today. I had another $10 coupon, but mine was just a straight $10 good towards anything for any amount. Between yesterday and today, I spent about $12 and got a tank top for Noelle, 8 pairs of socks with fun designs, a tee for Ruben, and a shirt for Lindsey. I was very, very happy with my deals! :cool1:

DisneyStitch626 said:

So sorry, Andrea.

bigskyernurse said:
Hi all.

Amy

Hi Amy! I've been enjoying following you on FB. So much love and happiness in your life!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter