DIS Dads - Gaming Thread

Figured I might as well chime in here since I've been a gamer for years. Basically stick to PC games only, since I don't want to invest in a PS3 or Xbox. Currently only really playing SW:TOR during my limited free time. Also, a long time member of the Angels of Death gaming community (clanaod.net).

I don't know if you could classify me as a gamer. I like to play now and then but never really any good at anything nor do I devote much time to it. About a year ago I got the red light of death on my PS3 and have just been trying to see if I could get it fixed but recently came to the conclusion that wasn't going to happen. I had a Gen 1 machine with the 40GB hard drive.

Last night I went to Best Buy and bought a new one. I got a 250GB slim model and it came with Uncharted 3. Let me just first say that while the smaller size is nice the actual hardware seems awfully cheap and the top loading method with the sliding door was quite a disappoinment. Well, I get the thing set up with all my user info and go through getting all the programs up to date. Then when the trouble starts. I put in the new game and it starts to boot up. The first thing I notice is it is making quite a bit of noise. The game starts and as usual there is an update. So after it updates it starts to boot up and then freezes. I can tell the disc has stopped spinning. I reboot the system, first by pressing the power button, then by unplugging all together. Still nothing, the disc player is kaput.

So needless to say I have to go back tonight and try to exchange this thing. I'm not very excited about the construction of this nor the fact that the thing died straight out of the box. Wish me luck with the next unit. :headache:

I don't know if you could classify me as a gamer. I like to play now and then but never really any good at anything nor do I devote much time to it. About a year ago I got the red light of death on my PS3 and have just been trying to see if I could get it fixed but recently came to the conclusion that wasn't going to happen. I had a Gen 1 machine with the 40GB hard drive.

Last night I went to Best Buy and bought a new one. I got a 250GB slim model and it came with Uncharted 3. Let me just first say that while the smaller size is nice the actual hardware seems awfully cheap and the top loading method with the sliding door was quite a disappoinment. Well, I get the thing set up with all my user info and go through getting all the programs up to date. Then when the trouble starts. I put in the new game and it starts to boot up. The first thing I notice is it is making quite a bit of noise. The game starts and as usual there is an update. So after it updates it starts to boot up and then freezes. I can tell the disc has stopped spinning. I reboot the system, first by pressing the power button, then by unplugging all together. Still nothing, the disc player is kaput.

So needless to say I have to go back tonight and try to exchange this thing. I'm not very excited about the construction of this nor the fact that the thing died straight out of the box. Wish me luck with the next unit. :headache:

Had basically the same experience with my old PS3, but my frustrations were not that the new one didn't work, but that there's no backwards compatability with the PS2 games on the new ones. So now if I want to play my Battlefront games I need to go find a cheap ps2 somewhere! Very poorly made overall on the newer models. The old one was a tank, I loved it, haha.

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the new one.

BTW: do you know if you may have power issues where you are plugging it in - causing power fluctuations?

Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the new one.

BTW: do you know if you may have power issues where you are plugging it in - causing power fluctuations?

I exchanged for a new one and it's working with no problems. Played a couple hours of Uncharted 3 which came with the bundle and so far it's holding up to the first 2. Of course today I read an article that Sony is going to make an announcement about PS4 this month. Impeccable timing on my part, :crazy2:

No power issues that I'm aware of. All the electronics there are run through a surge protector (TV, cable, DVD).

So anyone play pc games anymore? The reason I ask, is that I was thinking that after my family and I return from our WDW trip on the 17th, that i might pick up a copy of the new simcity 5 that's coming out on the 5th. I haven't played any of those games in years and from the videos and media I have seen of this game it looks pretty amazing. It even has a multi-player aspect, and I thought it would be cool to have someone else to play along with. :D

So anyone play pc games anymore? The reason I ask, is that I was thinking that after my family and I return from our WDW trip on the 17th, that i might pick up a copy of the new simcity 5 that's coming out on the 5th. I haven't played any of those games in years and from the videos and media I have seen of this game it looks pretty amazing. It even has a multi-player aspect, and I thought it would be cool to have someone else to play along with. :D

I saw an article on IGN.com about the new SimCity. It sounds really cool and I would like to get it, but I think my computer couldn't handle it well. And the only gaming time I get nowadays, I try to play Black Ops II on the Xbox360.

I saw the same article on IGN.com also. I bought SimCity on Monday afternoon and installed it and realized that my PC probably doesn't have enough RAM to run it. So I am off to the store tonight to buy more RAM and possibly a new graphics card. The game is awesome just make sure you have enough on your PC to play it

I like the new SimCity, but I wouldn't rush out to buy it until the bugs are out of it. Last week the servers had major problems. They doubled the number of servers, but there are still some issues with gameplay, like running out of water. (Hint, leave plenty of room next to your sewer plant for a water system and use the filter upgrade) I currently have a city of 150K people, and I've run out of room. I hope they are able to make some bigger city maps in the future.

I wailted a week to get the new simcity game because of the issues. So far, it's running perfect and it's completely addictive..lol. Anyone wants to add me, my origin name is tgwinn.

They were spinning their wheels on their in house projects. Let someone else who is better at it do the dirty work.

No posts about the XBOX One? I'm sure you all have read about it so I won't bother posting a link. But what do you think? They haven't said or shown much about the gaming aspect of the machine. And the price is still a question mark. But I'm intrigued for sure. The Skype capabilities make it an easy sell for DW. For $399 I think I would probably do it.

I know I am late to the show but my Xbox gamertag is shutspark. For now I only play nba2k13 online but have been known to play black ops 2 and the like

Can I still call myself a gamer dad if the xbox 360 has only been turned on a few times in 6 months to watch the Aristocats and the Jungle Book? Last Xbox game I really played was Halo 4 for a few weeks after release. Or if the PS3 only gets used to watch video and the wife uses it more to watch Smash or Dancing with the Stars(?) than we use it to watch blu rays? The last PS3 game I tried to play was Tiger Woods but I got tired of mostly watching load screens and playing once in awhile. I have used the computer to play Mark of the Ninja for a few weeks back in January and can maybe get a couple of hours of Borderlands 2 in each week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter