DIS Con 2022 details! >>> Schedule Update-Page 15

This thing is acting like a damn pinball. Now it's making landfall just north of Ft Myers, making a beeline towards Orlando. We shall see what flipper or bumper hits the thing next at the 11 pm update from the NHC.

Hi everyone. I had to make the difficult decision to cancel. My flights were canceled and I was even thinking about making the 23 hour drive to Orlando. But I had to think realistically and decided to cancel. I’m not just sad about not attending GKTW DisCon but I was REALLY looking forward to meeting all of you. I don’t have a ton of friends that are Into Disney as much as I am. It would have been so cool to hang with “my people.” Well you can count on me the next time there is an event! I will be there! Plus hubby and I are going to WDW May 2023 for our 5th Anniversary. It would be cool to meet locals during that trip! To everyone that is traveling and to all of the awesome locals and Dis team please be safe!! See you real soon! 🙂

Best case scenario it’ll be “normal” for us locals on Saturday. Realistically though, the majority of us will have flooding issues and no utilities for who knows how long. We’re on the west side of Orlando (less than 10 miles from MK) and got out of Florida. I’m hoping and praying we will have a home to come back to but who knows if this thing stalls and dumps the amount of water they think it’s going to. I really think they should cancel/postpone. It’s not realistic to think we will be 100% up and running again let alone able to attend an event just a couple of days later. I was considering buying tickets a couple of weeks ago, glad I didn’t now even though we love and support GKTW.
I didn't mean to diminish what you and other locals will be going through - I'm so sorry. I was referring specifically to getting to the event.

I didn't mean to diminish what you and other locals will be going through - I'm so sorry. I was referring specifically to getting to the event.
I understand. Just pointing out to anyone who may be following along that life will be anything but normal for us who live there over the next coming month most likely. I just woke up to news that has me panicked. I’ve been pretty optimistic for my kids sake but given what the storm just did in terms of strengthening and given that areas are already starting to flood and it hasn't even really started I’m beginning to think we really may come home to a destroyed house. And it was built last year so it’s up to code and we don’t live in a “flood zone” (I checked before we moved in). So hoping I’m wrong.

I think it is irresponsible to travel into an area that is about to experience a significant emergency. I wouldn't be going and adding to the people in what may well be a disaster zone once this storm has passed.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I had to make the difficult decision to cancel. My flights were canceled and I was even thinking about making the 23 hour drive to Orlando. But I had to think realistically and decided to cancel. I’m not just sad about not attending GKTW DisCon but I was REALLY looking forward to meeting all of you. I don’t have a ton of friends that are Into Disney as much as I am. It would have been so cool to hang with “my people.” Well you can count on me the next time there is an event! I will be there! Plus hubby and I are going to WDW May 2023 for our 5th Anniversary. It would be cool to meet locals during that trip! To everyone that is traveling and to all of the awesome locals and Dis team please be safe!! See you real soon! 🙂
Hi Chris, I hear you and miss you and our DISers as well. If it helps with your decision, from my experience with gulf hurricanes, you would be coming back along with other evacuated locals/tourists. Due to the timing of the convention, arrival by car folx would have to drive right after the shelter in place is lifted on Friday. (Unless surprisingly, a shelter in place order is lifted on Thursday night.) So that's typically a lot of people on the road with demands for gas* and other resources.
Although I won't be down during May2023, I love your idea to meet up with other DISers. I definitely hear you about being in community. It's wonderful to meet others from across this magical world. Here's hoping you have a lovely time planning your anniversary! :)

*Gas stations in the area are usually impacted right after a storm, whether due to delayed delivery and/or other just everyone needing to fill up cars/generators/RVs. I hear that FL has a more localized fuel source, but if I chose to drive down right after a storm, I would have a gas can safety plan at the ready once I got to GA or Alabama/pan handle. Right now, it makes more sense to jog west as a staging area for Thursday, then drive the rest of the way when roads are open to minimize the traffic impact once I got to central FL. I wouldn't come down thru the Carolinas/GA eastern side.

Hi Chris, I hear you and miss you and our DISers as well. If it helps with your decision, from my experience with gulf hurricanes, you would be coming back along with other evacuated locals/tourists. Due to the timing of the convention, arrival by car folx would have to drive right after the shelter in place is lifted on Friday. (Unless surprisingly, a shelter in place order is lifted on Thursday night.) So that's typically a lot of people on the road with demands for gas* and other resources.
Although I won't be down during May2023, I love your idea to meet up with other DISers. I definitely hear you about being in community. It's wonderful to meet others from across this magical world. Here's hoping you have a lovely time planning your anniversary! :)

*Gas stations in the area are usually impacted right after a storm, whether due to delayed delivery and/or other just everyone needing to fill up cars/generators/RVs. I hear that FL has a more localized fuel source, but if I chose to drive down right after a storm, I would have a gas can safety plan at the ready once I got to GA or Alabama/pan handle. Right now, it makes more sense to jog west as a staging area for Thursday, then drive the rest of the way when roads are open to minimize the traffic impact once I got to central FL. I wouldn't come down thru the Carolinas/GA eastern side.
Thank you so much for the reply and the information. This is all stuff that I would never have thought about so I do feel like it was a smart decision to cancel. And thank you for the warm wishes!! That means a lot!! 😀🥹

After a disastrous quarantine issue in Amsterdam returning from an adventures by Disney Rhine river cruise I will now always purchase Trip Insurance for all non-refundable costs.

That’s what I did in July when I bought the tickets it cost me $82 to cover the nonrefundable portions of this trip. I flew down over the weekend but my husband had his flight canceled for Thursday. I should be able to get the $200 from the non use of his ticket on Saturday.

I also purchased insurance to cover the nonrefundable Swan And Dolphin food and wine event next month.

Disney will be up and running by Saturday.

Welp, Wish isn't docking till Sunday morning so no Epcot 40th day or Dis event for me. Wish all those in the path the best of luck and have fun to those that are going.
I am sorry to hear that! 😔 However, how are things on the WISH? Do you love it? Are you enjoying yourself? How are they treating the passengers with the extra 2 nights? I’m booked on the February 2023 voyage! 🥳🎉 I, too, had to cancel my trip to DIS Con, the D23 EPCOT Anniversary event, and the GKTW After Hours Event. Notwithstanding, I am safe and sound at home.😉

I am sorry to hear that! 😔 However, how are things on the WISH? Do you love it? Are you enjoying yourself? How are they treating the passengers with the extra 2 nights? I’m booked on the February 2023 voyage! 🥳🎉 I, too, had to cancel my trip to DIS Con, the D23 EPCOT Anniversary event, and the GKTW After Hours Event. Notwithstanding, I am safe and sound at home.😉
I am having a lovely time, it's my first cruise so can't compare to the others. They reworked the schedule and have more character meets and events going on and more films. If the weather stays ok we will get a Castaway stop on Saturday as we couldn't today. We have access to their phones to rework travel plans, I just need my hotel adjusted so going to wait till tomorrow as everyone is trying to sort flights etc out.

With the storm hitting Orlando harder than originally anticipated, might there be more changes to the schedule/rescheduling?
Will MCO even be reopened by then? Flights keep getting cancelled progressively in huge chunks.

They’ve also said once or twice that a KNOW BEFORE YOU GO email is forthcoming but I haven’t gotten anything yet. Could this be because of rescheduling again?

Last edited:
With the storm hitting Orlando harder than originally anticipated, might there be more changes to the schedule/rescheduling?
Will MCO even be reopened by then? Flights keep getting cancelled progressively in huge chunks.

They’ve also said once or twice that a KNOW BEFORE YOU GO email is forthcoming but I haven’t gotten anything yet. Could this be because of rescheduling again?
I think they’ve backed themselves into a corner at this point. The time to cancel the event was a couple of days ago. If they cancel now they’re going to have a lot of angry folks. I’m really shocked how tone deaf they’re being about this.

I think they’ve backed themselves into a corner at this point. The time to cancel the event was a couple of days ago. If they cancel now they’re going to have a lot of angry folks. I’m really shocked how tone deaf they’re being about this.
I feel like people will be more mad if they DONT cancel.
Trying to find a flight down there from anywhere in New England is IMPOSSIBLE right now.
And like…how are the celebrity guests getting there?

I emailed Steven Amos and he said the event is still happening as the storm will be in the Carolinas by Saturday

I agree. I am not even personally affected but it's tone deaf to go ahead. There will be clean up efforts and other charities this weekend that should be the focus to help those who will be devastated by this storm. Canceling would free up Disney cast members to be home taking care of their personal property after the storm passes, clearing down trees, etc. Yes, it's very important to help sick children and their families go to Disney World, but this weekend, there will be more pressing and urgent needs.

I have no idea what they are on the hook for to Disney for convention space and the party, but I certainly would hope Disney would work something out with them.

It's definitely impacted the way I view the charity.

Last edited:
I agree. I am not even personally affected but it's tone deaf to go ahead. There will be clean up efforts and other charities this weekend that should be the focus to help those who will be devastated by this storm. Canceling would free up Disney cast members to be home taking care of their personal property after the storm passes, clearing down trees, etc. Some may not be able to safely get to work because of flooding or closed roads. Yes, it's very important to help sick children and their families go to Disney World, but this weekend, there will be more pressing and urgent needs.

I have no idea what they are on the hook for to Disney for convention space and the party, but I certainly would hope Disney would work something out with them.

It's definitely impacted the way I view the charity.
The lack of communication and the aforementioned “know before you go” email leads me to believe they may be wanting to cancel? But who knows.
It’s gonna be a weird Con of all locals at this point

I am having a lovely time, it's my first cruise so can't compare to the others. They reworked the schedule and have more character meets and events going on and more films. If the weather stays ok we will get a Castaway stop on Saturday as we couldn't today. We have access to their phones to rework travel plans, I just need my hotel adjusted so going to wait till tomorrow as everyone is trying to sort flights etc out.
Awesome! 🥰 Thank you for your excellent response. I am glad that you are enjoying your first cruise and a DCL one at that! 😉 You will love Castaway Cay! Best of luck with the modification of your travel plans! 🥳🚢🎉

Clearly we need to consider the real illuminati cabal here, and that's the airline industry preventing us from gaining personal intertranslocation devices. (StarTrek transporters!) After all, if we only had access to transporters we wouldn't need to find available flights in a narrow 10-12 hour window just after the storm and before the announced con date change. ;)

So much to be said, but I believe in the system of praise in public and (constructively) criticize in private. I think it's safe to say that it seems reasonable to expect an eventual "lessons learned" communication. For example, knowing that any future convention planning will have an updated communication plan will help me to rebuild trust, and without which I will keep in mind for future event attendance decisions.

We are one human family. I separate the communication and management decisions of this convention from the needs of the families served by GKtW. I am still excited for and dedicated to support the mission of the village. I'm really hopeful the storm damage is minimal to the village, and that any storm repairs are covered by insurance with deductibles mitigated thru the financial recovery in the decision to go forward with this con. We are one human family, in our successes and our sorrows, in our strengths and our yet-to-be strengths.

Much love and support to all y'all sheltering in place tonight. Hugs across the miles! Stay Strong FL!

Last edited:
I understand. Just pointing out to anyone who may be following along that life will be anything but normal for us who live there over the next coming month most likely. I just woke up to news that has me panicked. I’ve been pretty optimistic for my kids sake but given what the storm just did in terms of strengthening and given that areas are already starting to flood and it hasn't even really started I’m beginning to think we really may come home to a destroyed house. And it was built last year so it’s up to code and we don’t live in a “flood zone” (I checked before we moved in). So hoping I’m wrong.
I hope your home is not destroyed - I am so sorry. Keep us posted.

I'm just getting up and watching the Orlando local news. It DOES INDEED look worse than expected in terms of flooding. I'm sitting tight to see if I can drive down Saturday or fly down late Saturday (there's a 7:00 p.m. out of Charlotte). Of course if roads are covered and emergency responders are busy taking care of locals and local officials ask that folks don't travel to central Florida, I won't. I wouldn't want to add to the mix and get in the way of clean up. Still in a wait and see. I feel like they need to reschedule/cancel - something. and Steve, I agree - the time to do that was a few days ago

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter