Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

I am healing well from surgery (lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy, and gallbladder removal). The test results came back negative on my lymph nodes and the margins were clear around the breast tissue that was removed. Thank you Jesus!!

My genetic testing came back good and questionable. I was negative for the BRCA1&2 but I have a "variance of unknown significance" of the ATM gene. This has me concerned because known mutations are linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer, pancreatic cancers, and others. So....my grandfather, father and brother have all had prostate cancer and I have breast cancer. My father and grandfather have been deceased for many years. I really want my brother with prostate cancer to get genetic testing but he is not the easiest to convince to do ANYTHING.

I am conflicted about whether to keep my breasts and go through radiation after chemo or if I would rather have a double mastectomy as a prophylactic measure. I worry that if I don't do the double mastectomy, that cancer will return in the same breast or the other breast and then I will be going through biopsies, surgery and chemo all over again and risk having it spread.

I am healing well from surgery (lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy, and gallbladder removal). The test results came back negative on my lymph nodes and the margins were clear around the breast tissue that was removed. Thank you Jesus!!

My genetic testing came back good and questionable. I was negative for the BRCA1&2 but I have a "variance of unknown significance" of the ATM gene. This has me concerned because known mutations are linked to breast cancer, prostate cancer, pancreatic cancers, and others. So....my grandfather, father and brother have all had prostate cancer and I have breast cancer. My father and grandfather have been deceased for many years. I really want my brother with prostate cancer to get genetic testing but he is not the easiest to convince to do ANYTHING.

I am conflicted about whether to keep my breasts and go through radiation after chemo or if I would rather have a double mastectomy as a prophylactic measure. I worry that if I don't do the double mastectomy, that cancer will return in the same breast or the other breast and then I will be going through biopsies, surgery and chemo all over again and risk having it spread.
Great news on your surgery. though tough decisions to make, Amanda. Wishing you well, prayers for you. You will make the right choices.

I opted for a double mastectomy after finding a small tumor on the left breast. So glad I did, as they discovered stage zero on the right side, which one day would have developed into full on breast cancer!

I opted for a double mastectomy after finding a small tumor on the left breast. So glad I did, as they discovered stage zero on the right side, which one day would have developed into full on breast cancer!

Thank you for sharing! Do you mind if I ask a few more questions via pm?

I went to Moffit Cancer in Tampa last Thursday and Friday. I spoke to both an oncologist and a radiation oncologist. There is nothing they can do for me. In addition, I have two tumors pressing on my spinal cord. We are beginning to set up hospice care. I'm not sure how long I have. I could have a few months or a couple weeks. I feel weaker every day. Hospice will take over management of my medication. When the time comes, they will move me to a facility.

The good news is that I am not in any pain and the process of setting things up has been easy. Thank you all for being such good friends over the years.

I went to Moffit Cancer in Tampa last Thursday and Friday. I spoke to both an oncologist and a radiation oncologist. There is nothing they can do for me. In addition, I have two tumors pressing on my spinal cord. We are beginning to set up hospice care. I'm not sure how long I have. I could have a few months or a couple weeks. I feel weaker every day. Hospice will take over management of my medication. When the time comes, they will move me to a facility.

The good news is that I am not in any pain and the process of setting things up has been easy. Thank you all for being such good friends over the years.
Oh, Peg. So sorry to read this. What has happened with everything - I know there were differing opinions a couple of weeks ago as to whether there was cancer spread in your brain or not. Has your oncologist been involved?

Peg, you were strongly on my mind yesterday, so much so that I back-stalked this thread to see if I had missed an update from you. This was not what I expected I would see, though, when you wrote. :-(

I am so very sorry for the news you were given. I don't understand how the hospital scans and doctors missed this; you must be feeling very caught off guard. I pray that you will have enough good days to see people you want to see, do a few things you would like to do, and have meaningful conversations with the people you love.

Prayers coming your way.

The good news is that I am not in any pain and the process of setting things up has been easy.
You always find a rainbow amongst the storm clouds. You are amazing, Peg! I have seen that here on this board, this thread from you for years.

I recall, about 15 years or so ago, meeting up with you and Kendall, in MK I think it was, for about a half a day of friendship. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with you both. And Kendall, as they say, is a 'chip off the block' for sure, your block, Peg.. Just like you, so very pleasant, so sure of herself.

Back in 2004, Natalie so enjoyed your Tink basket you made up for her when she and I had a great dad/daughter trip to WDW. Natalie still speaks of it at times when we reminisce about her trips to WDW.

604596 604597

I do believe in miracles. Doctors do not always have all the answers, say-so, or final thoughts. I'm old enough to know that is true. We have a very, very good of ours (like family) who was at her end of the line about 5 years ago. Our family, Marie, Vince, Natalie and me, along with our friend's daughter, had about an hour long hospital palliative care visit with a 5 doctor (different areas of 'expertise') group. The 5 all agreed it was 'her time'. Her daughter said, 'let's see how it goes over the next few days'. That was about 5 years ago, Peg. Our friend, Nicha, is now living in Florida, not too far from you, with her son and his family. Two of the doctors said afterward that 'sometimes, we just don't have all the answers, we are not in control'. Doctors do not have the final say. they just do not.

I know you believe in prayer, I believe in prayer also, Peg. I also believe in miracles. Continued prayers for you, miracles can and do happen.
:hug:'s

I have been checking this thread each day to see if there was an update from you or Kendall, Peg. I don’t post often but always read the updates from all the people here. My mom had breast cancer twice and have known quite a few others dealing with cancer of all types. I am so so sorry to hear of this update. As Dan said upthread, miracles do happen. I had a co-worker back in the early 80s who had leukemia, aggressive, he was given 6 months to live and he is still here on earth, nearly 40 years later. He has had remissions, recurrences and some very scary times, but he is here. I hope you find peace and continue to stay as pain free. (((HUGS)))

Last edited:
:grouphug: Although I have only been on this thread a short time Peg, I have been reading your posts on these boards for many, many years. You have always been a light to those in need and you provided love and cheer to those who were celebrating. I pray for a miracle so that you can continue this journey of life if it is God's will. May you find that inner peace knowing that you are loved and that the love you have given to others lives on forever. 🙏

Peg, I don't know what to say. You have been a support and inspiration to everyone, here and on the other DISboard threads. I hope that the doctors are wrong, that you have many years ahead, and if not... know that we are all with you, keeping you in our hearts and minds. Prayers for you and for Kendall, too.

I am so sorry you are going through this, Peg, and glad that you are not in pain. My thoughts are with you, and also hope that there is better news for you ahead. You're an integral part of our Disboards family, especially on the Community Board. Gentle hugs to you.

A quick update on my progress.

After my first chemo treatment I had quite a bit of neuropathy in my hands and feet. I found it hard to feel the steering wheel when driving which was most concerning. My oncologist was alarmed by this and prescribed duloxetine and vitamin B6 and postponed my second treatment. Her approach worked well and my neuropathy subsided.

My hair started falling out on Sunday so I had my head shaved on Tuesday evening. I was sad but its just hair. I am kinda owning it now and taking advantage of how carefree it feels--although I feel EVERY breeze blowing by...LOL

I had my third treatment yesterday and it went well. As it turns out, I am receiving Paclitaxel every week but Carboplatin every third week during this round of chemo. I think my body has gotten "used to" the Paclitaxel as my side effects are very minimal this week but I expect next week will be rough given it will include the Carboplatin again.

I hope everyone is doing well. You are all in my thoughts......especially you, dear Peg. 🙏 :grouphug:

Sending lots of hugs and thoughts and prayers for you and your family..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter