Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

G&C’s Mom - Welcome but sorry you have to be here. The ladies here inspire me with their courage, tenacity and wealth of information. I have thy cancer and they have adopted me here. I am glad you are moving forward and there is a good treatment plan.

Well I went to the pcp today. Worrisome is that she said I lost another 10 lbs since January. My clothes are still falling off of me. She ordered some blood tests and said to talk to my endo at my visit on Thursday. I have been having a strange pain near my gallbladder area. Told the vascular surgeon too. No one seems concerned but me.
GAGWTA

Hoping that the weight loss and pain near your gallbladder end up being nothing to cause concern.

LMP, I've lost ten pounds since starting Keytruda infusions. I've had two. My appetite is just gone. I can only eat small portions and beef is off the menu completely! Now, I can definitely afford to lose the weight, but it is difficult trying to find something that I actually want to eat.

I have had a few new pains, but my oncologist seems to think they are to be expected. Keytruda causes inflammation of the back and joints. She just tells me to take the pain meds and that we will do another PET following the next infusion at the end of July. Keytruda also causes low grade fevers. More of an irritation than anything else.

Unfortunately, this treatment is also hitting me hard in the pocketbook. When I was taking the Ibrance, the specialty pharmacy hooked me up with grants that covered part of the cost of the medication. The pharmacy where I have to get the Keytruda will not do this, so it's costing me almost $600 every three weeks. It could be worse. Thank goodness I have insurance to cover the rest! I get a laugh each time I see one of the drug commercials stating that they may be able to help with the cost. Not if you have Medicare. That immediately disqualifies a person. They aren't stupid since the majority of the people needing these drugs are older and on Medicare. Oh, well. You can't take it with you!

LMP, always thinking of you!

So sorry to hear about the added expense and what a waste that there isn't added help for someone on Medicare. That just isn't right. Hoping you get good news on your PET scan!

Hello everyone. I just wanted to pop in with some good news. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 8 years ago and had surgery and radiation. I just received another clear mammogram yesterday! I was somewhat concerned because the tech took more images than usual. I was afraid that she saw something and wanted a better look. But no, everything is fine *knock wood*.

Great news!

RobinB, great news!

Strange new side effect began this week. The skin is peeling from my fingers. Keytruda has had way more side effects than any other drug I've taken. I see the oncologist next week. Hoping the peeling thing is short lived! On the bright side, I lost 11 pounds since I began this treatment. I have plenty to spare, so I'll take it!

Thinking of you all!

RobinB, great news!

Strange new side effect began this week. The skin is peeling from my fingers. Keytruda has had way more side effects than any other drug I've taken. I see the oncologist next week. Hoping the peeling thing is short lived! On the bright side, I lost 11 pounds since I began this treatment. I have plenty to spare, so I'll take it!

Thinking of you all!
I am on oral chemo and I have the same problem peeling skin from fingers. Dr said said to use moisturizer.

RobinB, great news!

Thinking of you all!

My chemo has this risk as well. Apparently it can happen on your feet as well. They put ice on my hands and feet when I get my treatments to help prevent it. Fun times. :) Anyway, so far I've avoided it to a large degree but do get a small amount of it near the tips of my fingers. I was also told to moisturize and stay away from things like hot tubs or too much walking etc. Hope it improves for you. I've also heard Keytruda can have a lot of side effects, but I have also heard good things about its effectiveness. I hope that you are getting those good benefits!

My chemo has this risk as well. Apparently it can happen on your feet as well. They put ice on my hands and feet when I get my treatments to help prevent it. Fun times. :) Anyway, so far I've avoided it to a large degree but do get a small amount of it near the tips of my fingers. I was also told to moisturize and stay away from things like hot tubs or too much walking etc. Hope it improves for you. I've also heard Keytruda can have a lot of side effects, but I have also heard good things about its effectiveness. I hope that you are getting those good benefits!
Thanks, ZellyB. My fingers peeled for a few days only. They are fine now. Go figure.

My biggest problem now is lower back pain. I saw my GP. He thinks I have liver inflammation. The liver panel came back with severely elevated liver enzymes. I see the oncologist on Friday. Not sure what this all means. It is very uncomfortable and I hate living on pain meds.

Hope you all had a good weekend and will have a great week ahead!

Peg - Sorry you are dealing with this back pain and side effects. Hoping your oncologist visit goes well and that they can come up with a good plan to address your issues.

robinb - great news!
Zelly and Seahorse - Wishing you both all the best with your treatments

Well the endo scale showed my weight at 10 more lbs then the pcp which translates into I stayed the same. That’s a big discrepancy between those 2.
She is adjusting 2 meds slightly. Then I need blood tests in 6 weeks for that and a bone scan in September. Never ends.

Dh just got out of federal grand jury duty. Now I get a reg jury duty paper today. I made a mistake doing it by phone, called and said what happened, asked what to do and should I send a drs. Note. She said she would take care of it. I hope so or we will be at the dr. again for paperwork.
Ds1 and dil are on the belated Disneymoon. They sent me videos of it’s a small world, Mary Poppins, Biergarten band etc. Feel like I am there too.
GAGWTA

Popping in for an update. Thank you all for the well wishes and positive vibes. It really does improve my mood to read the posts here.

Sad to read the side effects many of you are having. I really hope they are short lived and that the chemo does its job. It is inspiring to read how you have all persevered through so much and have such a positive attitude,

I met with my oncologist last week. I really like her. She is a great combination of personable, intelligent, and very calming with her delivery of information. I will be having 5 months of chemo before having surgery. My first round begins on Aug 6 and will be every week for 3 months. Those will be Carboplatin and Paclitaxel. The second round will be every other week for 2 months. Those will be Doxorubicin and Cytoxan. I meet with the surgeon tomorrow regarding the port he will be placing in my chest to receive the chemo treatments and take blood draws. I assume the port will be placed early next week. I will also be having an ECG next week to get a baseline of my heart function prior to the start of chemo. On Aug 5, I am meeting with a chemo nurse to get patient information on resources for wigs and other needed supplies??, tour the facilities, get a better understanding of how it will go.

I had blood drawn last week for genetic testing. Those results will be back within the next few weeks.

I am relieved to have my treatment plan in place but I am getting anxious about the chemo.

Popping in for an update. Thank you all for the well wishes and positive vibes. It really does improve my mood to read the posts here.

Sad to read the side effects many of you are having. I really hope they are short lived and that the chemo does its job. It is inspiring to read how you have all persevered through so much and have such a positive attitude,

I met with my oncologist last week. I really like her. She is a great combination of personable, intelligent, and very calming with her delivery of information. I will be having 5 months of chemo before having surgery. My first round begins on Aug 6 and will be every week for 3 months. Those will be Carboplatin and Paclitaxel. The second round will be every other week for 2 months. Those will be Doxorubicin and Cytoxan. I meet with the surgeon tomorrow regarding the port he will be placing in my chest to receive the chemo treatments and take blood draws. I assume the port will be placed early next week. I will also be having an ECG next week to get a baseline of my heart function prior to the start of chemo. On Aug 5, I am meeting with a chemo nurse to get patient information on resources for wigs and other needed supplies??, tour the facilities, get a better understanding of how it will go.

I had blood drawn last week for genetic testing. Those results will be back within the next few weeks.

I am relieved to have my treatment plan in place but I am getting anxious about the chemo.
Thanks for the detailed update. It sounds like your oncologist is just what the doctor ordered so to speak. I am glad you have a treatment plan and on your way.

Paclitaxel.
Doxorubicin and Cytoxan.
Hi, Amanda. Those 3 chemo drugs were the 3 that my wife had 23 years ago for her stage III breast cancer. That combination was a trial at the time. It worked very well. Marie is still here and doing well, just celebrated her 74th birthday about a week ago. Best wishes to you in your days and weeks ahead. You'll do great!

Another good article I thought I’d share here re surviving cancer:

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/sha...cer-olympic-gymnastics-failure-182830507.html

What’s the message you want to share as far as cancer survivorship?

I want to be sure women are aware of the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer, but also the support that’s available to them. I wish that I had had a program like Our Way Forward when I was diagnosed. We focus a lot on the medical, but there are emotional and psychological issues that patients go through. When the medical portion ends, that’s when people truly feel alone, and not just patients but also caregivers and family members. I also want to let people know it’s not selfish to make health a priority. We get busy and we don't want to be selfish but it’s not — and early detection really can save your life.

Do you have any small self-care rituals that make your day better?

My go-to [rituals] are sleeping a little extra [laughs] and physical activity. I can tell when I feel overwhelmed, I just need sleep. I’m an advocate for 10-minute workouts — taking a walk, getting fresh air. It’s so important to take those moments where you feel overwhelmed or unproductive, to get out of that feeling. I’ll do 10 minutes of physical activity; it’s quick, it energizes you, it shakes things up, my mind works a little better. Those things are important to me: I’m an introvert and I gain energy from being alone and having time to regroup. Understanding how you gain energy is important. When you find out what works for you, stick with it.

Aside from physical activity, what else brings you joy?

My joy is my children. Being able to watch them grow and try to look at the world through their eyes is so much fun (and sometimes silly). But it does bring me joy to see them learn something new or figure out a problem. Finding my joy each day is also about gratitude: stopping to think about things to be grateful for. During my cancer battle, I clung to gratitude. There were days [that were about] simply waking up in the morning, simply having another day to be here. For me, gratitude has a lot to do with finding my joy.

Many people take for granted what a gift life is. I take it you no longer sweat the small stuff?

When you go through something traumatic and difficult, maybe the blessing in it is finding out there’s a lot of things you can let go of.

What stresses you out?

Disorganization and change can stress me out, but I work very hard to keep grounded and not get too stressed about stuff. Sometimes stress is motivation, but I’m not big on surprises [laughs]. I’ve become a lot harder to stress out the older I get; you go through too many life experiences and health-wise, it’s good to keep it at bay.

I wouldn't say that I've completely mellowed, but I am a lot harder to stress out these days. I really just let things go. [But] when I was an athlete, I wanted everything to be perfect. Trying to reach perfection: the perfect step landing, the perfect routine, the perfect 10... I strived for that every day. Through the cancer process — and motherhood and life — you realize there is no “perfect,” and nobody needs to be perfect.

Hi, Amanda. Those 3 chemo drugs were the 3 that my wife had 23 years ago for her stage III breast cancer. That combination was a trial at the time. It worked very well. Marie is still here and doing well, just celebrated her 74th birthday about a week ago. Best wishes to you in your days and weeks ahead. You'll do great!

This is so encouraging to know these drugs have been around a LONG time with great success. Thank you so much for sharing.

I breezed through chemo, stay on top of your nausea. Walk daily and eat healthy foods. By the end of my 12 sessions I was more tired and took a daily nap. I was often dizzy and needed to drink more water. The worst part was the hair loss. I preferred to wear a wig and felt more normal with it. We took advantage of my year off from work and took lots of road trips. I felt great and loved getting out of the house. YOu can do it!

An update on my plan...

I had my port placement surgery on Tuesday late afternoon. That went well. On Wednesday morning, I was still super tired after getting up so I tried to take a nap but couldn't because I started having pains under my right ribs. Wednesday evening, I got chills and then severe nausea. About 8:30pm, I started getting pains again under my right ribs, to the side and back. It kept me awake until 2am. (I had an ultrasound a few weeks ago because of ongoing bloating and tenderness under my breastbone and it was discovered that I have a 9mm gallstone.)

I made calls to my surgeon and GI doctor. After speaking with my surgeon, he called my oncologist and GI doc. They decided my gallbladder was too angry to risk me trying to get through 5 months of chemo. SO......I am now having a lumpectomy and lymph node dissection as well as my gall bladder removed on Wednesday Aug 11. I am happy with this plan. I have been very worried about my GI issues getting worse during chemo and this should help at least a portion of that. Chemo will start after my body has healed from surgery.

My surgeon noted that if my genetic test comes back unfavorable, we can make the decision for further surgery after chemo.

About 3 weeks ago, I started experiencing intense pressure in my head upon standing. It isn't every time I stand and only last about a minute. Oddly, when this happens, I also experience some pain in my arms.

I know that headaches are one side effect of Keytruda, so I tried to write them off. This past week, the headaches have come more frequent and more intense. Yesterday, was a particularly bad day, so I left a message for my oncologist. Today, they had me come in for lab work and she scheduled a brain MRI to b rd performed stat. I had the MRI early this afternoon.

I just received a call asking me to meet with the oncologist first thing Monday morning. Of course, tney won't tell me anything over the phone, but I have a very bad feeling about this.

I'd appreciate any prayers you can spare. I'm afraid,after fighting this thing 40 years, I'm about to lose the battle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter