Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Sorry to hear that, Peg. :grouphug: It's amazing it can come back after so long, isn't it? But that's what keeps me awake at night many nights.... not something any of us want to think about but I hate knowing it can happen. Hang in there...

Will add my sorries too. Wow, to still have to worry after 27 years. Prayers that it has not gone very far.

Peg - so so sorry that you had to hear that news. :hug: I am glad Kendall is there for you.

I am sure next week will seem like forever to wait.

Totally understand that comment. I am always waiting for the other shoe to fall so to speak. Its always in the back of my mind. Got to deal with mine every 6 months when I have my tests for my type of ca.

Thoughts and prayers for you dear sista.

So sorry you are facing the beast again, Peg. Glad your daughter is taking it well.

Sorry you have to wait an entire week to obtain more info. Being in the waiting mode is so stressful, as is getting this news during the holidays.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Peg...that is just a kick in the gut, isn't it? Many hugs and positive thoughts coming your way. You have raised a wonderful daughter...her strength comes in no small measure from your example you know, and I'm glad you have her as you face this now.

I am hoping and praying this is contained within that scar tissue....and that you get speedy action once the surgeon can see you. Please keep us posted :hug:

Linda...sorry you have been ill and had family stuff going on.....hope the new year brings good health and no drama for you :hippie:

GAGWTA

Peg, I am really sorry this is going on. I wanted to post before but didn't want to worry you. I had mine return in exactly the same way! what we thought was just a build up of hard scar tissue, she biopsied on the spot and it was cancer. This was only 7 months after my first surgery though, it was growing back while I was on chemo!! They felt it was a surgical failure because the margin there was so close 1mm. so far it has not come back again more than a year after the second surgery. I feel that because it is in your scar, it is like mine, there were some cancer cells left there and perhaps because of whatever treatment you mayhave had they did not grow. I think this is such a better thing than having the cancer show up somewhere else if you know what I mean? I am very lopsided, the second surgeon praise him was very aggressive in the surgery, but have decided to just live with it for at least another couple of years. I figure if it comes back there again they can just cut some more off! I'll be keeping you in my prayers and sending lot's of positive energy your way!

Peg, I am really sorry this is going on. I wanted to post before but didn't want to worry you. I had mine return in exactly the same way! what we thought was just a build up of hard scar tissue, she biopsied on the spot and it was cancer. This was only 7 months after my first surgery though, it was growing back while I was on chemo!! They felt it was a surgical failure because the margin there was so close 1mm. so far it has not come back again more than a year after the second surgery. I feel that because it is in your scar, it is like mine, there were some cancer cells left there and perhaps because of whatever treatment you mayhave had they did not grow. I think this is such a better thing than having the cancer show up somewhere else if you know what I mean? I am very lopsided, the second surgeon praise him was very aggressive in the surgery, but have decided to just live with it for at least another couple of years. I figure if it comes back there again they can just cut some more off! I'll be keeping you in my prayers and sending lot's of positive energy your way!

First, thank you all for you kind words and concern. It is really nice knowing there is a place where I can vent and share going through to this.

smiley_face2, I am so glad you posted. I did do some searching, and although rare, it does seem that cancer can return in a scar area if some of the cells were left behind. To have it come back after 27 years is a bit of stretch, but I guess that is a good thing. This thing first showed up three years ago. I'm sorry to say that I didn't recognize it as a problem and let it go so long. But, that is water under the bridge. I can't help but wonder if the reopening of the scar and the removal of the ruptured implant didn't stir things up. I guess I'll never know for sure, but it really doesn't matter. I'll just be glad to get the ball rolling and try to get through this. Waiting is not my thing.

Again, thank you for your support!

Gotta love this thread and the support here.

Cold here, actually was 28 degrees at 8 am. I am staying inside in my sweatshirt and yoga pants.

Even the dogs are cold.

Day four on Ideal Protein diet. I felt better yesterday. Seems like I have more energy. Also, less achy, I wonder if this diet is anti-inflammatory?

Weigh in on Thursday at the clinic. I think I will have lost at least 5 pounds. Making a shrimp gumbo today with only allowed ingredients (green onions, garlic, celery, lots of okra and spices). It smells good but not the same without the roux.

There is a reason for the flour in the roux.;)

Snappy, it's cold here too! At least, it's cold for Orlando. It's noon and only 50 degrees with a strong north wind. Very chilly from a Florida perspective.

I always take solace when it gets below freezing that at least it means the bug population will be under control for a few months.

I saw that it was cold in orlando too as I have the area listing on the weather ap on my phone.

The sun is helping.

Snappy, if you are not eating flour and sugar it is an anti-inflammatory diet!

Have been going through the inflammation stuff this week. My brother got us some Cabela's wild smoked meats for Christmas day. I ate a little bit of left overs for the next few days after until I realized I don't have the flu, it was the meat! It was shot full of additives and it's like I poisoned myself. Haven't had any for two days, stomach is starting to settle, hope the aches and pains calm soon.

Dancind, that is what I am reading online. I can tell a definite difference in overall achiness. I like it. However, I also had trouble sleeping last night. Going to only have one cup of coffee this morning. I don't actually think that is it though as I only have caffeine in the morning anyway.

Going to exercise and I am definitely going to take it easy today. Wish I did not have to work, but I need to recover from my computer issues at work.

I had a nice visit with my Mom yesterday. Trying to spend more time with her after the holidays. She did come and eat with us each day that DD22 and her BF were here, and mom also went with us to my sister's house when we went to see the bonfires. She has been busy but is still too focused on my brother's problems in El Paso.

I get it as I have trouble putting our kids' issues in perspective, but I am so busy that I have to schedule time to worry.

Busy is good.

GAGWTA!

Peg, I am so sorry to hear of your recurrence. Talk about a kick in the butt after going that long with no disease! But you beat it once, you can beat it again.

I have been catching up on everyone and want you all to know you are in my prayers. I don't get here to often lately - besides the mess going on with my step daughter and grandson I am dealing with the cancer. Someone a diagnosis of metastatic carcinoma of unknown origin is terrifying me. I am slowly learning to cope with it. Last Thursday I hade a total hysterectomy, including tubes and ovaries. They are ruling out a gynecological origin. Those organs are also where bladder cancer tends to spread first in women. Waiting for the pathology on that next Friday. I'll also get my staples out then. This surgery was pretty brutal. Have a hard time doing much of anything the last few days.

My doctor is a peach - he used to be head of gynecological oncology at the Lahey so he is very well qualified. And when I explain why it was important to take my grandson to Disney this January, he got my surgery hurried up so I will be ready to fly on Jan 6. I'll be walking but not Disney lengths! So we have a wheelchair for part of the time. It will be a special trip.

My prayers continue with all of you. May 2013 bring us all health, prosperity, and happiness.

Patsmom, sorry about the extent of your surgery, and even more so the difficulty of continuing to be in the dark as to the source.

I pray you get answers soon.

Your doctor's cooperation about scheduling the surgery was a gift. I hope you continue to gain strength for the trip. I know you will enjoy it, wheelchair or not.

Hang in there, 2013 will be better.

Thanks for updating us.

Laurie

PatsMom - I am so sorry to hear you have gone through so much. I am sure its taking a mental and physical toll on you. Sounds like you are in good surgical hands.

I hope you have a wonderful trip. Sounds like the perfect get well medicine! Nothing more wonderful than seeing Disney through a childs eyes.

The wheelchair is the way to go. We always rent it from an offsite company. We use Randys Mobility.

I know you will certainly enjoy the warmer weather and no snow too

My thoughts and prayers are with you sista:hug: Hang in there!

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy 2013

I hope the new year is filled with lots of blessings for everyone, even though it somehow always is lots of tests, doctors etc.

I started reading some condensed version of a book 1000 gifts. Shows you how to find joy in the little things you look at and see each day and take for granted etc. Really helps to put things into perspective.

We saw The Hobbit as a family the other week. I enjoyed it. I am hoping we can see my aunt next week end. I know the boys will be shocked at their physical states. My aunt is legally blind and my uncle has dementia. He is recovering from cellulitis, so I am thinking of getting pizza for them etc.

Tonight we are going to a little church get together. You bring snacks and a white elephant gift. 2 of the ds are going. Oldest ds is coaching a game tonight.

Going to see ds coach on thurs. Its the homecoming game. They are going to lose but it will be fun to see him coach.

Soon the normal sets in again...dh is traveling and I have lots of cancer stuff to deal with, sono, blood, drs. visit. Hearing her lecture on not going to the cardiologist and also the infusion I havent gotten yet. Guess its back to medical reality.

GAGWTA

PatsMom, Hope you're feeling better soon!

Happy New Year, everyone! May 2013 bring us all good health and happiness!

Have a special New Year's everyone!

DD17 just left to go to a night of meditation at the yoga studio her boyfriend's mom owns. They will be dedicating the evening to the children at Sandy Hook.

DH and I are watching LSU play on TV. Nice to be home and know that I don't have to wake up early in the morning unless I feel like it.

I having a ball watching two black convict cichlid fish in my aquarium. The female laid the eggs in the pyramid thing with openings. The couple take turns going in there to fan the eggs and then guard the location. They are awesome parents. I think this is their second go at it, I hope the fry survive this time. This breed is supposed to be the rabbits of the cichlid world.

Here's wishing for good health and happiness for all here.

Laurie

Here is to you lovely ladies and your families... a Happy and Healthy New Year!!! I have so many different things on the horizon... things that I hope will help me be healthier too! Love to you all and GAGWTA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter