Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Enjoy the beach and cruise. sly.

Funny, my DH asked me what i want for Christmas. I told him good health and travel. I don't need more stuff.

Experiences seem of most value these days, hearing from you good people, seeing, talking, and texting with my kids and siblings, my friends, and my mom.

Planning on yet another Memorial day trip to the Boardwalk, and hopefully another NYC trip in 2013.

Hi SLG! I am sure getting some sun will help!! I have SAD too, and it seems like we have really been paying for all the sun we had this summer. I don't remember a start of winter with such long stretches of gloomy rainy weather!! We are escaping too, a bit more modestly, driving down to California again. Probably wont' even do Disneyland, just want to do some relaxing in the sun :)
Well sadly the cupboard doors had to wait, but it was for a good reason, we actually had a rare sunny day and the roofers came and got about 75% done. It is weather tight though so thats good because man has the rain returned with a vengeance. One more sunny day and they will be completely done thanks be to God!!! We didn't want to leave the house with them here working. I was worried we would not be able to get away in January because of having to wait for them.
So monday the cupboard doors will happen, just in time for Christmas hurray! the new counter will wait until we get back in january or february.
We have the 2 oldest grand daughters again this weekend, had the two 3 year olds, well one is still 2 she will be 3 in january, all day on wednesday, that really wore me out big time! last weekend it was the 8 year old and the 4 year old who is just a little jumping bean. It's no wonder I get things done here so slowly, there are at least 2 little ones around at least 2 or 3 days a week, and it takes me a day to recover!!
LMP I will pray for you it is just scar tissue. I was so worried before my last MRI because it hurts in the breast so much, and feels so lumpy, but it is just scar tissue, it is attached to the chest wall and pulls so thats why the pain. At least we are here to complain right?!
We really wanted to be away for the end of January, the 28th is the anniversary of our sons death, but our daughters, daughter in law and grand daughters need us here too much so we will be back by about the 24-27th.
Snappy I am with you on the gift thing....hubby wants to get a pair of leather boots in Sacramento, I just want the warm sun on my face for a while!!

ok, those are wonderful, Sha.

just wonderful.

Mom looked so very touched.

What a gift.

Sorry your sister is moving, hope not too far away?

she isnt moving far at all... she is moving IN as in the other room of the house LOL.

we talked this morning.... Im less stressed and anxious now.

photos are still uploading to that link. it stopped uploading last night.

Ah, I see. Glad you are less stressed.

Is the blonde girl the niece I met at WDW last May, the one who is good at photography?

She looks all grown up!

Your photos of your family are wonderful, Sha. It must be so nice to have everyone get together. Your Mom looks great! Thannk you for posting them. You look awesome!

I am slowly finishing up all my shopping and wrapping. We decided to downsize with gifts this year and now I am only doing stockings for our 3 granddaughters and not for the adults.

In Sept. I was in the pool with our 3 year old granddaughter and I took one stroke and felt something snap in my back so I've been dealing with a herniated disk for the last few months. It is much better now - I am seeing a neurosurgeon tomorrow and hopefully I will just need physical therapy. I did not go to the Dr. until last week as we had a trip planned and I had things I needed to do - that was my big mistake!! When I think of these very sad people in Conn. I will not complain - what a terrible tragedy!

Take care everyone - wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Holiday.

PatsMom - please know my prayers are with you. I hope you are resting and healing. Thinking of you sista:hug:

fortwilderness - thanks for posting and sharing. I too had surgical menopause as they called it. Didnt know that could happen when they took my cancerous thyroid out. I dont take anything. Just deal with it when my body is taking its own tropical vacation at times:). You sound like a tough fighter. Hang in there!

slg - sorry you have to deal with a lot on your plate. I hope the cruise will be a refreshing time for you and enjoy every minute!

smiley - I hope you have a wonderful upcoming trip too

Sha - your pictures are beautiful! I smiled when I saw Annie in a dress.

Barbara - I hope you have an enjoyable christmas with your family and the dgd's.

I am tired. Went to do some christmas shopping with dh. Mostly gift cards for the ds and we had to get toys for a toy drive at church for a mission we support. These people were affected by the hurricaine and live in a poor school district already. So I know they will appreciate everything.

My heart breaks for those in Ct. Of course its always on the news here constantly. Its not too far after you take the ferry over. I am sure that will b e a big discussion at our next school meeting - security. We do have a buzzer system.

GAGWTA. Have a great day everyone. Blessings always.

Barbara, I am so sorry about your back issues. Bad time to face physical therapy, but you can do it! I hope you received good news at the visit with the neurosurgeon Tuesday.

Nice of your family and your church community to give toys to the needy families, LMP.

Glad that roof is coming along Smilie, and that you will still be able to take your trip south in a month or two.

Slg, dropping hormones can really wreak havoc in so many ways. Tamoxifen did its number on me, within 30 days of starting. Just seems I goy old overnight, but I guess that is lack of estrogen. Sometimes I feel like all the skin on my neck is sliding down town.

I can't remember if I mentioned i am going on the Ideal protein diet next week, after DD22 and her BF leave to go back to NJ/NYC. I am glad i am waiting until they leave. I expect to be sad and this will keep me busy with chopping up all the veggies and salad. I am somewhat intrigued with the simplicity of the diet. If it helps me lower my cholesterol with meds, I am going to be a cheerleader for it.

I am loving my outside Christmas lights so much I bought more last night. DH is thrilled!;) as he is in charge of it.

We are planning to go down to see the bonfires on the levee by my sister's house Christmas house if the weather cooperates. It is quite a sight and 'DD22's boy friend should be impressed.

No more presents to buy except DD17 wants her own video camera. She wants to pick it out and after Christmas is fine she says so I am not stressing about it.

GAGWTA!

Oh Snappy, I hope you will be able to share some pictures!! We had snow all day yesterday, then it turned to rain then it froze solid, today was just rain and those poor guys were up on our roof, I feel so bad for them and am truly amazed at the awesome work ethic they all have. I am trying to think of something I could give them all for Christmas. Got the very last of my shopping done today, just need to bake some cookies and stuff now. Tomorrow is dedicated to getting all my cabinet doors on. I refuse to be interupted!!

Barbara - hope your visit with the neurosurgeon went well and that you have a good treatment plan

smiley - hope you get good weather so the roof can get done. You are sure busy!

Laurie - I bet your dd's bf will love the bonfires. I loved the pictures you shared with us the other year.

Thinking of Pats Mom post surgery.

Well the ds are both done with school. I want to celebrate oldest ds b day this weekend. He does not seem willing. Oh well. I will just get him a cake and leave it at that. We usuallly go out to a famiy dinner and let them pick the place but cake will have to suffice I guess.

Dh one big boss is retiring. :yay: I never liked that guy. Once he told dh to do his work and then take me to the dr. after dh told him he had to leave because I had an appt. etc. He might come back as an interim bigger boss but in a different dept. I wish the guy would go permanently.

Remember my long lost relative that lives in the same town. Well in her christmas letter she wrote that her son in FL now works for disney. She didnt say in what capacity, but I know it has something to do with driving because she said as soon as he got his cdl he was hired. They have 3 kids and a new house so I dont know how they could afford that with that salary. Oh well, she said the kids are happy because they can go to disney for free etc.

I will have to ask her more about this if she responds. I will give her my e mail. We havent had a face to face meeting yet. It still seems strange.

GAGWTA. Blessings to you all.

DD22 and her BF are here! Kind of crazy but nice. We stopped and got fried shrimp and oyster po-boys, stuffed crabs po boy and raw oysters on the half after picking them up from the airport.

My blackened duck and barbequed shrimp for dinner last night were a big hit.

I had a computer crash Friday from hell so I am not looking forward to going back to work on Thursday but this too will pass.

Hope everyone has a nice Christmas.

:santa: Just wanted to wish everyone a Blessed and Merry Christmas

Laurie - have a wonderful visit with your dd and her bf

Linda - glad you will get to spend christmas with your family

We celebrated ds 1 b day yet. He wanted chinese. The table wasnt great, Last one, but oh well. He is going away next weekend for his b day with his friends, so this was it.

The ds seem to be getting colds, not fun.

Have a great week everyone.

Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and good health in the coming year.

Going to the in-laws tonight, then the remainder of my family is coming over to eat tomorrow. Two brothers and one girl friend, that's all that is left. Hope to see my niece the day after Christmas, she doesn't come around her Dad. Long sad story.

But we are well, DH has gotten over his flu and has a couple of jobs coming up, I am feeling good, DD is in a happy place. Could not ask for more!

Hello old (and new) friends!
I have been remiss in logging in and posting, but think of you all daily.

We had family Christmas this afternoon, and for the first time in many many years DH and I are totally alone on Christmas Eve and Day! (Unless you count the dog ;) ) We may just never get out of our PJs tomorrow. :goodvibes

This afternoon was wonderful.....now DD is headed back to Vermont with her boyfriend, and the rest are all scattered about more locally.

I am wishing you all blessings this holiday season and into the New Year!!

XOXOX :grouphug:

I hope you ladies don't mind me popping in to share my current problem. I really don't have anyone else to discuss this with and I don't want to talk about it a lot with my daughter. She worries enough.

As some might remember, I posted awhile back about a problem I was having with the scar left over from my mastectomy 27 years ago. I had reconstruction following the mastectomy using a silicone implant. In 2006, the implant ruptured. I had it removed. The doctor cleaned up as much of the silicone as he could, but said there was still some he could not get.

Fast forward. About three years ago, I noticed my scar starting to get very hard. It also started to itch a lot. Over time, the size of the scar has grown. In that, I mean that the hard area under the skin has doubled in size. It is very thick and itchy.

Last week, I went to see a surgeon. He took one look at it and decided to do a biospy on the spot. I must admit that it was an ugly, red scar, but I was a bit surprised at having the biopsy. He had a very difficult time doing the biopsy. He said the hard tissue goes down to my ribs. He ended up putting in eight stiches with the thickest thread he had available to close the wound. He actually bent the needle trying to get through the tissue. As it is, the scar is not well closed.

Now, I am waiting to hear the results of the biopsy. I truely think they will find it is just the silicone, but I can't help worrying that it could be something worse. Either way, I will be having surgery in January to remove the area. The problem is that I have no skin left to cover the wound. They will have to take it from another area of my body. Not looking forward to that.

After 27 years, I thought I was done with this. Guess not. I realize that most of you ladies are younger than I am and probably have not had this type of issue, but if anyone has heard of something similar, I'd really like to hear about it.

Thanks, for listening!

Peg, I can't help with any experience in this area either. But I do want to say good luck and to ask if you could let us know when you have results. I will be pulling for you!

Linda, sorry so much is going on and I hope you continue to improve yourself. Bad time of year to be sick, that is for sure.

Dancind, glad you are in a good place.

Ann, great to see you post. Hope you enjoyed your one on one time with your DH.

LMP, did you manage to avoid the cold your DS's were passing around?

DD22 and her BF left yesterday. Flight was delayed over 4 hours, which meant arrival just before midnight but at least they got home. She was off going out on appointments for her job today. Sounded like she had a good day.

Had a nice Christmas but boy did it go fast. No pictures to post, not sure if any came out really. I have yet to check.

I was very pleased with how my Christmas dinner special dishes came out. I never really have a feel for how it will turn out as the ingredients and directions are so imprecise. The oyster patties were literally the best I have ever made or tasted.

My computer at work is back up and running. I got a few more gray hairs over this last crash but we were able to recover more gracefully than 2 years ago. You know it is bad when I pull out the rosary and start saying prayers at my desk. Better that than cussing it out I guess.

Started my Ideal Protein diet. Liked the stuff ok, let's see what I have to say three months from now.

Hope everyone is safe with these winter storms.

GAGWTA!

Peggy - no advice, just sending you lots of good thoughts and prayers for the biopsy. I can understand about you not wanting to share with Kendall at present.

Diana - sounds like you had a perfect plan to enjoy the holidays

Anne - glad you could spend time with the family too

Laurie - glad your visit with dd was good

Linda - sorry you were sick and also have to deal with th family issues

PatsMom is on my mind and heart. I hope she will check in after the holidays if she is able.

I am glad the holidays are over. Lets just say our christmas eve tradition went out the window thanks to the ds but at least we all went to church. We would always go and see lights after that.

Then christmas day ds2, yes the same ds who caused me so much heartache and trouble this year decided not to give anyone a present. this did not go well with me. Especially since he decided to go out with a friend the week before and spend money etc. More words on my part. Lets just say ds helped a lot with the dinner etc.

DS3 got a 4.0 average - perfect in all his nursing classes :banana: and ds2 grades were pretty good too, still waiting on 1.

I endured the dentist with dh on wed. Got prep work done for 1 crown with the next to go soon. My jaw was sore from everything.

Snow is coming on sat. I am concerned since ds1 will be far away in AC. We were going to visit my aunt but that is not a good idea with the weather.

GAGWTA

Well, I got the results of the biopsy today. Sadly, it wasn't good news. It's been 27 years since I last battled breast cancer. The beast is back. Who'd have thought?

Now, I feel stupid that I didn't attend to this sooner. It has presented in such a strange way. It is the breast in which I had the mastectomy. What I thought was a build up of scar tissue is actually a tumor. Crazy!

I don't have a lot of information at this point. He just said it was cancer and he would be referring me to a general surgeon. So, no idea what stage I am or if it has spread anywhere. Due to the holiday, I won't get to see anyone about it until the end of next week. It will be a long week.

Anyway, Kendall took it much better than I thought she would. She is my biggest concern and, she is my rock.

Today, I heard a woman on The View say that battling breast cancer is like being in a horror movie. I think she's right. Cancer is a killer. You fight for your life and manage to beat it. But, just like in the movies, you can't take your safety for granted because, sometimes, the killer rears his ugly head again and the battle resumes.

Well, I got the results of the biopsy today. Sadly, it wasn't good news. It's been 27 years since I last battled breast cancer. The beast is back. Who'd have thought?

Now, I feel stupid that I didn't attend to this sooner. It has presented in such a strange way. It is the breast in which I had the mastectomy. What I thought was a build up of scar tissue is actually a tumor. Crazy!

I don't have a lot of information at this point. He just said it was cancer and he would be referring me to a general surgeon. So, no idea what stage I am or if it has spread anywhere. Due to the holiday, I won't get to see anyone about it until the end of next week. It will be a long week.

Anyway, Kendall took it much better than I thought she would. She is my biggest concern and, she is my rock.

Today, I heard a woman on The View say that battling breast cancer is like being in a horror movie. I think she's right. Cancer is a killer. You fight for your life and manage to beat it. But, just like in the movies, you can't take your safety for granted because, sometimes, the killer rears his ugly head again and the battle resumes.

I am so so sorry to read this........

Sending prayers and good thoughts your way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter