Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Pea n me, sorry about Remy. He was one photogenic little guy. Hope you DD is doing well.

LMP, hope your doctor visit goes well today and you get some answers. Hoping for the best for you as well with the infusion today, and that you can avoid the worst of the after effects.

Minijeannie, hope your power is back. I thought you lived on Long Island. Sorry about the stress related to your mother's oxygen. The older people and others with chronic diseases are definitely vulnerable in this type of situation.
This storm will be affecting you for a long time, long past construction on houses and infrastructure is done. This type of drastic calamity can impact you psychologically for years. I hope you are able to obtain all the support you need.

Sha, you are amazingly organized. It will be a wonderful celebration for everyone. How many in total are joining you? So generous of you to cook. it will make the celebration all the more special. Please let us know how it all goes.

Cheryl, I am glad your F&W trip was so nice. Hope the weather cooperated. it was too hot when we went the first weekend of the festival.

It just dawned on me that Thanksgiving is like 11 days away. I plan to have a simple celebration, as Christmas will be a big one this year. DD22 told me last night that she and her boy friend are coming to visit us over Christmas. So that is when we will do our traditional dishes, the oyster and shrimp recipes that my MIL and mom used to make. My brother is trying to figure out his dates as well, hoping we can all be together for the big meal, even if we move it from Christmas day.

DD22 did ok last week, LMP, thanks for asking. She filled up her tank before the storm, did not drive that first week since she could not get out, just worked from home. Last week she was able to drive in to Brooklyn Monday-Wednesday, although the commute time was atrocious. She drove in Wednesday in advance of the storm, but ended up leaving her car garaged in Brooklyn Wednesday and trained it home. They got a boat load of snow, i am not sure how many inches, but the roads were plowed.

She and her BF had plane tickets to St. Maartens for a short vacation with his parents that has been planned for months. It was a miracle but the flight Thursday morning was not cancelled and they were able to go after all. They really did not know until that morning if they were going to be able to go on the trip after the big snow Wednesday.

Thanks for posting that the gas lines have been reduced. DD trained it into Brooklyn again today, and probably will drive her car home, filling the tank again on her way home Good to keep the gas tank as full as possible.

I guessI should try and get into work. GAGTWTA!

LMP: Hope all went well today! Thinking of you

sha: Celebration event sounds awesome. It is so much fun preparing for someone elise isn't it?

snappy: thanks for your kinds words. It is so overwhelming. Threw out remaining carpets this past Sunday. The whole street in same boat as me and all you see are people's lives sprawled out on the front lawn destroyed. Saturday I was really bad but pulled it together yesterday. I have old knotty pine paneling on walls in kitchen and living room. It is a really small house. Funny how my friends were fighting over whether it should come down completely or try to save. In many ways I feel I would like to try and save it. This was my DH's grandfathers house and now all that is left is me and somehow I feel like the caretaker to the property. I am hoping I will make the right decision.

Good news is no problem with gas lines. WHEW

My heart goes out to those that are dealing with the aftermath of the storm. What a stressful thing with all the other issues in our lives.

Nice to come back here and catch up. Good thoughts going out to those with treatments coming up.

We have done our travels, now will be home for a while. The trip to CA was pretty wonderful, ate so much good fresh food and tried some amazing wine. Spent a night at the Sand Pebble Inn in Cambria, on Moonstone Beach. It was so lovely we would like to go back for much longer! We visited the Farmers market in Santa Rosa and it was so depressing to compare it to ours here in NM. Did not get to stop in Carmel, turns out we were passing through on MLK day and there didn't seem to be any parking!

WDW was fun, took our DD for her first legal F&W. Seems so expensive these days! The weather was nice though. We had an excellent dinner at CA Grill, enjoyed the Flying Fish wine dinner, and really liked our breakfast at Kouzzina on our last day. The crowds seemed pretty light, but we never got on Toy Story.

So I have sort of committed to starting on Femara, at least giving it a try. I really feel that the side effects will be horrible for me, but I am told that my grade 3 tumor was a very aggressive type and I need to do it.

I just talked to dD22 and she said their area in NJ got 7 inches of snow last Wednesday. The street where the house is was not plowed, but the others were. She said the snow was piled high on the car and each time they stopped you had to make sure the snow did not pile up on the windshield. I can't imagine why they did not clear the snow off the top and the hood before they took off. Maybe it is easier said than done?

Hi Dancind. Glad your trip to California and WDW went well. I don't know much about Femara. I hope the side effects are not too troublesome. I think it is good that you are considering taking it anyway if it is being recommended. How long a course will it be?

I didnt see anything about Remy???!

We are suppose to be a group of 11 but R's best friend and his wife may not make it. My one niece, the one you met Laurie and LMP, her and her boyfriend may be back and forth. I just bought her a dress too. Her dress was a little too dressy but wouldve worked. This is a little less fancy.

Just home from my work out an continue to see lots of small improvements. Will be back in the morning and may take my niece with me Wednesday. I got to cook though. Either Im going to my neighbors or to my sisters. Actually, its not all cooking. Some can be prepped and cooked there.

Mini I have gotten a little stressed about it because some family members got a little selfish about wanting to help when I asked them to do something. The 2 are a bit more understanding now that I told them why I wanted what I asked for. This only happens once... and mom has had a couple health issues. We have to do these when they come around so we have the memories etc.

I have gotten to where I can't look at the pictures of all the damage anymore. It was the same after Katrina and other storms/damage. It just tears me up inside. I can not imagine what it is like for anyone, as everyone handle it so differently.

I just try to keep everyone in thought and prayers for them to get through this and have heat sooner than later.

Thanks guys. Sha, I had a separate thread on Remy.

Sorry I've been MIA. I've lost an inordinate amount of people close to me in the past several months, including a very good friend of BC. :sad1: I just don't want to think about it much these days. I have been following along, however.

Sorry to all who were affected by the hurricane. I hope things are finally getting better. :flower3:

Hugs Linda... sorry about Remy and your friends. Its hard. Melanie wrote a blog and there is nothing they can do right now as no clear margins, so are continueing chemo. IBC sucks as much as any other cancer. I wanted to tell her something, but at a loss of what to say. Frustrated.

My heart goes out to those that are dealing with the aftermath of the storm. What a stressful thing with all the other issues in our lives.

Nice to come back here and catch up. Good thoughts going out to those with treatments coming up.

We have done our travels, now will be home for a while. The trip to CA was pretty wonderful, ate so much good fresh food and tried some amazing wine. Spent a night at the Sand Pebble Inn in Cambria, on Moonstone Beach. It was so lovely we would like to go back for much longer! We visited the Farmers market in Santa Rosa and it was so depressing to compare it to ours here in NM. Did not get to stop in Carmel, turns out we were passing through on MLK day and there didn't seem to be any parking!

WDW was fun, took our DD for her first legal F&W. Seems so expensive these days! The weather was nice though. We had an excellent dinner at CA Grill, enjoyed the Flying Fish wine dinner, and really liked our breakfast at Kouzzina on our last day. The crowds seemed pretty light, but we never got on Toy Story.

So I have sort of committed to starting on Femara, at least giving it a try. I really feel that the side effects will be horrible for me, but I am told that my grade 3 tumor was a very aggressive type and I need to do it.
Your trip sounds so very nice. I have always wanted to do California.Have a question about your grade 3 tumor. What type cancer was it? I had grade 3 as well but it was triple negative and Femara would not help it. My other breast had different types of cancer but I have chosen no Femara or Tamoxifen for me. I have no valid reason for not taking it but somehow I just can't do it.

Diana - your calif. trip sounds wonderful. Glad you enjoyed it and the F and W trip too. I am sure you will make the right med. decision.

Linda - so sorry you are dealing with so much loss. :hug: to you,.

Sha - I know your mom will appreciate everything you are doing with love for her.

Laurie - glad your dd is managing with the snow. I am sure everything is a big adjustment for her at first. But sounds like she is doing so well. I am sure she will like that vacation too.

mini - My heart broke when I read your post. I know it is so hard to see everything gone. I know people say they are just things, but some have so many emotional attachments. :hug:Thinking of you. Stay strong.

Well of course I have a story from yest. They ask me, what are you here for? I say the infusion. They say, we cant find your med. Dh gets obnoxious with the nurse and embaressed me etc. My blood pressure is 175/110. Dh keeps saying in the waiting room full of people, you are a scared bunny and I am advocating for you. I told him to be quiet and I will advocate for myself. etc. I then tell some nurse I know the dr. is here and even if I am not getting the infusion I am speaking to her because I have papers from the er etc. Dh does his scared little bunny thing to me again. Finally we see the dr. I tell dh to sit and shut up.

The dr. says I am not getting the infusion because they are not doing infusions there anymore. You have to go to an infusion center at another site, so she fills out my paperwork for that. Then she reads and also questions the decrease/increase of the lung nodule. She calls the radiologist. Waiting long in the office. She comes back as says, oh its a typo. The decimal point is in the wrong place:scared1:so it is not 2.3, its actually .23. Dh does say, amazing what a difference a decimal point makes. Dr. says radiologist is correcting my record immediately.

Dr. says she is concerned about my heart and wants me to see a cardiologist so she filled out the paperwork for that. They take my bp again since dh was ordered to shut up by me and its now 110/75. All is well and dh is in the dog house at present. I told him since I dont have a car I have to have him take me places and if he cant be quiet then he needs to remain in the waiting rooms of wherever it is for all future visits etc. This is emotional stuff I dont need.

My meeting is today. I want to see how one of the teachers is. She was in one of the badly hit areas. I ordered the town car and wheelchair for the trip today. Now all I am thinking of is MVMCP. I would like to go. Dh always complains its a waste of money, so we shall see. I need to do it soon though.

GAGWTA. Blessings to you all.

LMP, what a stressful episode!

Not sure if your DH is a help or a hindrance. I am sure he means well, but I think you may be right about him staying in the waiting room.

You are a pretty capable person dealing with your health issues. Is your voice stronger so that you feel confident that the nurse or doctor can hear your words? If so, your DH might be better as the chauffeur only.

My experience is that health care providers don't respond to well to obnoxiousness. Being direct and saying what you want to say without emotion is always the best. Not backing down though.

I am sorry you worried for no reason about the lung nodule. I know mistakes may happen but I thought at least with breast cancer that 2 radiologists review results. Maybe they don't review the report as well?

Is the infusion at the other location scheduled?

Sha, I am sure Mel understands you are there for her. It is not the words but the feelings. Tell her you care. Can you post the link to the blog again?
I am sorry she is facing more chemo, but I am glad she has that weapon.

How is the meal prep going? I am steaming artichokes tonight and may grill small fresh eggplant I bought at the farmers' market Saturday in the oven with olive oil. DD17 is sick and I am trying to make foods she likes and might eat. No flu or strep (had it tested this morning), the doc said they are treating more than the usual number of cases of upper respiratory thingies for this time of year.

Stay healthy everyone, especially LMP and Sha with your upcoming trips. Use wipes!

ols - glad to see you dropping in

Laurie - hope yur dd feels better

I bought some hand sanitizer today. Did some shopping today. There just never are enough hours in the day. Busy getting ready for the trip and lots of other things like the operation chtristmas child shoeboxes. IThere was a thread on that on the community board. People can have their own opinions. I dont care. We do it and I just think of all the kids we are blessing. We do 5 boys.

My one friend in Penn. asked how I was. Her daughter is a nurse at the Jersey shore. She was giving chemo to the kids (outpatient) with no electricity or heat:scared1:She said they were only supply power to the main hospital floors and then she had to drive home 3 hours in a snowstorm with no lights on the road.

Our houses in NJ are ok, PTL

8 days and counting.

GAGWTA

Can I join you? Went in last week for a bilateral mastectomy for DCIS--ended up with IDC in both breasts...they didn't take any nodes on the original side because this was all unexpected...I also have a genetic disorder where I have a large benign (but you really don't want to mess with it because it can turn it on) tumor in my left arm pit so I don't know how we will check the nodes....just SO stressed out and scared...it was all grade II and er+/pr+....meet with oncology on Tuesday so I hope we have more of a plan...

Can I join you? Went in last week for a bilateral mastectomy for DCIS--ended up with IDC in both breasts...they didn't take any nodes on the original side because this was all unexpected...I also have a genetic disorder where I have a large benign (but you really don't want to mess with it because it can turn it on) tumor in my left arm pit so I don't know how we will check the nodes....just SO stressed out and scared...it was all grade II and er+/pr+....meet with oncology on Tuesday so I hope we have more of a plan...

Best wishes for you on Tuesday.:hug:

keetmommy - welcome. You have found a good place of support, encouragement and information here. These ladies are the best. I have thy ca. so they have adopted me. Wishing you all the best today.

And speaking of all you ladies... Just wanted to say HappyTthanksgiving to all and I am blessed to know all of you and thank you for your encouragement and as always your strength and determination is amazing.

Ds1 informed me he will be at the girlfriends for Thanksgiving. I said fine. He might go there and not eat but come back later to eat. I guess he feels guilty as they are just starting to see each other etc. Its ok, I just told him I need to know to plan our meal etc. as in serving sizes etc. I guess I could always freeze the turkey leftovers.

Well dh and I finally got some new furniture. Just Lazy Boy, nothing fancy. Dh liked the power recline stuff. I said no. We just got the regular rec lining sofa and loveseat. I am sure the ds will mess it up somehow.

The furniture is coming Friday. I think this is going to be a logistical nightmare. Just really parking and disposal stuff. Our old sofa is a sofa bed, so we will have to take the mattress out of it and that is picked up separately by our town, but they will take the loveseat and mattress normally. They said it could be from 1 to 10 days. I hope it works out. I am having enough to do with getting the stuff ready for our trip on Mon.

I am so blessed and thankful to know you all

GAGWTA

I also wish to say Happy Thanksgiving to all. I will be working but we always bring food in and manage to have a good time despite missing our families. I will be off for Christmas so that's a plus.

lmp, Lazy Boy furniture is lovely. :goodvibes I'm sure it's beautiful. Have things settled down in your area after the storm?

keetmommy, how are you doing?

hanging in there...Oncologist appointment in 1 hour...then I need to see PS for some swelling with my tissue expanders....Im very tired today...havent been sleeping good...need a plan and then maybe I will do better.

I know I haven't been around for some time but I do keep up with all of your posts.

Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving and thinking of all of you who are
undergoing treatment, those of you who are awaiting results and all of you who are new to this board.

I feel very grateful to all of you because each of you have impacted my life in some way over these last few years. You are all so very kind and brave!

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!

Hugs,

Barbara

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter