Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Gosh, what a nightmare, LMP. I am sorry your personal experience has been so awful, losing power and then going in to the emergency room not feeling well.

I am struggling a bit with worry over DD22. She was trying to figure out a way to go in to work Wednesday, luckily her boyfriend's parents explained the folly of that plan. I did not even know what was going on until late Tuesday night.

I am so indebted to the parents. Maybe next week will be different, hopefully the gas situation will improve if more gas stations have electricity restored.

This all reminds me entirely too much of Katrina. Long lines at the gas station, filling up containers for the generators, empty grocery store shelves. We had a houseful too so we needed a lot of food. I mostly remember drinking beer, lol, and then there was the night DH had a little breakdown and cried for about 2 hours. He is not a crier so that got everyone's attention.

I can tell DD22 is on the edge, she freaked out a bit today when she found out the phone she order to replace the one that broke a couple of weeks ago is still on back order. After a number of calls she calmed down. I guess it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I kind of feel useless so far away. She is in good hands, it is just that she is my baby.

I just donated to the Red Cross, I don't know what else to do.

My brother in lower Manhattan got his power back tonight. He has cable! Yea!

Hope you are ok, Pea n Me!

Just saw a little fund raising concert on NBC/MSNBC. Bruce Springsteen and his band and Mary K Blige stole the show.

I hope they raised a lot of money. . .

Smiley, hope your test results were good.

LMP, good to hear from you.....pictures I've seen have been awful. What a nightmare. I hope your back is feeling better.

Laurie, glad to know your DD is in good hands, but I'm sure it's hard being so far away.

My oldest DD that lives in Boston works in New York, but (luckily) she was stuck at home all last week since there was no way to get to New York. She usually flys or takes the train on Monday mornings and returns home Thurs nights.

We are having a great time at the World....staying at Port Orleans Riverside this trip. I like it here, very peaceful.

GAGWTA! :goodvibes

So glad you ladies are safe and sound!
Cheryl really happy you are having a good time at the World!
MRI was all clear! :cool1: showed the scar tissue is kind of connected to my chest wall and the seroma is still there which is what the pain is from but I am here to complain!! Bloodwork was good except for my immune system which is still not up to par, still have to be careful around the grand kids. Hopefully the neuropathy type pain in my legs and arms, will eventually go away, some days are really bad, but some days are pretty good! I'm on a 3 month recall with this new oncologist, I am so happy I made the decision to switch! My new family doctor was asking me how I liked my old oncologist, I did not answer her right away, but she could tell by the look on my face. she has another patient who is having a hard time with him too, so she is going to suggest going to this new doctor as well. I'm sure she will be much happier. That other guys needs to switch careers or something....

Great news on the whole, Smiley!

You sound you have the right, positive attitude. I love that in you.

Have a great time, Cheryl! Hope the weather is nice! I need to try out one of the Orleans resorts sometime, at least for a few days.

Over here watching the LSU/Alabama game. This town is on fire!

Trying to help DH with his car buying decision. Now he is neutral between the VW Passat diesel, the Honda Accord, and the Nissan Altima, all the new 2013 models.

I went and rode in all three. I swear any would be fine. Don't tell him I said so but he is making a career out of this decision.

He did this in 1998 and I just finally went to the Nissan dealership in New Orleans and bought him a Maxima. May have to do the same this time.

Partly he does not want to part with the money as long as his current car runs. We are not fancy car people and we don't like car notes either.

Good morning ladies... another hit and run post (my apologies)

Laurie... what happened to LSU?! I quit watching and went to bed and woke to find out they lost.

Smiley that is great news!!! And Laurie is right, great attitude

Nancy update... she went to F&W with a friend who also had a hurt foot. I am sure they were a pair. She said they managed well. Will go over there later today I think... depends on work day. I slammed myself with visits as mom has a battery change tomorrow.

OH, and next RFTC... Baton Rouge... March 2nd. Ready Laurie? LOL

So glad you ladies are safe and sound!
Cheryl really happy you are having a good time at the World!
MRI was all clear! :cool1: showed the scar tissue is kind of connected to my chest wall and the seroma is still there which is what the pain is from but I am here to complain!! Bloodwork was good except for my immune system which is still not up to par, still have to be careful around the grand kids. Hopefully the neuropathy type pain in my legs and arms, will eventually go away, some days are really bad, but some days are pretty good! I'm on a 3 month recall with this new oncologist, I am so happy I made the decision to switch! My new family doctor was asking me how I liked my old oncologist, I did not answer her right away, but she could tell by the look on my face. she has another patient who is having a hard time with him too, so she is going to suggest going to this new doctor as well. I'm sure she will be much happier. That other guys needs to switch careers or something....

Sounds like good news on the MRI!!

LMP - so glad to hear that you are safe and actually have power back. Like Katrina, my heart goes out to those affected by the storm. And a new storm headed that way this week is really scary! Hopefully it will come north of NY/NJ and just be snow here in the mountains. Its early but we can deal with it better than you folks can deal with more high tides and winds.

I am doing OK - kind of discouraged. Decided to put off chemo - I had such a rough time and and still having bladder issues. We'll think about it in January when I go for my next cystoscopy. The alternative is probably going to be heading to a major cancer center for a radical cystectomy. That will not only be bad physically but financially. I don't have any short term disability to speak of so once my paid time off is gone, no income for me. But it beats the alternative!

Had a nice trip to F&W although I had to take it pretty slow since I was still in quite a bit of pain. But better to sit by a pool in Orlanda than to sit here in NH and deal with the "oh poor me's!".

Smiley, great news about your MRI!! Glad you like your new doctor. I hear you on the neuropathy....mine is mostly in my left arm and hand/fingers. I've been taking Lyrica for the past year or so, but honestly I'm not really sure it helps. I hope you can find something that works for you.

Laurie, how is the car shopping going? Any progress?

PatsMom, sorry to hear that you are facing such tough decisions and that you are having the pain issues. Cancer sucks. :hug:

Got back home last night....had a great trip, now it's back to reality!

GAGWTA!!:goodvibes

smiley - great news on the mri and I am glad you like the new onc.

Laurie - one of the ds has the altima and likes it. We bought it used. How is your dd and db doing?

Cheryl - so glad you had a great time at the F and W. I am reading posts about many drunk people on the week ends etc. What did you enjoy eating?

PatsMom - I am glad you had a great trip too but so sorry you are dealing with all the cancer stuff again. I am sure its hard to wrap your head around it at times. Wishing you all the best

Sha - giving a shout out to you busy lady!

ols - hope the pain med situattion is easing up

Well another storm tomm. I dont know how much more we can take here. They say we might lose power again. I think we cant cook outside with all the wind and rain so it will be tuna and pb and j most likely. This is making me weary. Ds2 said a friend said the gas line by our church in the next town last night was 2 1/2 hours long:scared1:

I talked to dh today. He is flying to Seattle todanight. He said they might have gas at his work on thurs. (They have their own station but its first come, first served etc). So I doubt dh will get any there as he comes back on friday. I have already asked him to telecommute.

Mon. is the holiday so I am sure the gas lines will be even longer with people actually having time off and can sit in the lines etc. sigh, sigh. I wish they would have rationing here like in NJ. My aunt said only 30 people on her even licence plate day in NJ.

Of course the boys are saying I am panicing etc. Umm, we need food and to get to the dr. for my infusion on monday etc. So I am trying to conserve the gas for just that etc. I dont know if we will vote. We have to go to another town or maybe there is a closer place, but that one is by one of the long gas lines.

Ds3 served food with the red cross on friday. They had ham sand. People really wanted a hot meal. Only 35 showed up. Our church had free coffee. Just 2 people came. Ds3 is helping with 2 food drives.

I am going to e mail one of my cousins who lives by the NJ shore and also my friend in Penn. whos mom lives by Dh dads and grandmas house in NJ to see how that area is since we havent heard from dh cousins. etc. I hope those 2 houses dont have a lot of damage.

My head spins sometimes, especially right now. 20 days to Disney for us. Boy do I need a vacation!

Vent: Tired of them saying on tv dont panic, there is gas. Umm not after the 2 1/2 hr. line etc. and Bill Clinton, umm really I dont need you calling our house today about voting. I think I am saving my gas to buy food etc.

GAGWTA

Sorry Ladies Haven't been on awhile.

Finally got power back this past Saturday (WOO HOO). I had to send my mom to assisted living though. We had small generator but my DD was getting gas every day trying to keep it filled. She waited each and every day 2-3 hrs. One night we ran out of gas and we had to call 911 to get mom oxygen tank. Well this stressed me out so bad I had to put her back in home so she was properly taken care of.

My sister lives in Union Beach which was one of the many many towns devastated by Sandy. Her house is completely gone. We cried all day.
I lost the first floor and garage of my home in LBI. Last Sunday was spent throwning all furniture, appliances and carpeting out. It was a huge mess.
The township set up dumpsters at the end of the street so that we could throw things away. My neighbor who lives 5 doors down has his boat in my yard.. :faint::faint:

I have no flood insurance and did not realize that FEMA will only grant $$$ if first home. I cannot afford a loan to fix it. I am hoping to make an appeal and get a grant, fix it up, rent it to others who are waiting for their homes to be built and that way I can pay the loan back. Suffice to say I am devastated. Oh and Sloane Kettering had to cancel my appointment due to no power. I felt really sorry for people who were going for treatments or getting their diagnosis that day. oh well I hope this dumb nor easter goes out to Sea.. This is too much for us East Coasters. We are not used to storms

Smiley - cannot wait to see pics of kitchen. Sounds beautiful. Also glad you got good news

CherylDan: have been getting good results with my lmyphdema using small 1-2 pound weights at gym. At first arm seems more swollen but the next day flexibility better and little or no pain. Not sure if it would work for you but worth a try

PatsMom - sorry, you do have tough choices! More surgery is certaintly not inviting. Glad you made the best of it at F&W and enjoyed pool time. Was weather nice?

LMP - Storms are exhausting aren't they? Now we have to boil the water in MIddlesex county OUCH

Mini, so sorry to hear about all the destruction you and your family are dealing with. Sounds awful. :hug:

LMP, hopefully the storm tomorrow won't be too bad. I'm sure your vacation can't get here soon enough!

Oh my, what did we enjoy eating you ask! LOL, we ate and ate and ate. We went to F&W on thurs night and Friday & Saturday afternoons. We had a lot of old favorites, and a lot of the new items. One of my favorites of new things was a beef sandwich from Japan, DH really like a new item from Morocco. We didn't notice any drunk people, but we weren't there on Saturday night.

We also had a few sit down meals....went to Raglan Road, which is probably my favorite place on property. So many good things there! Also went to GFC for breakfast one day, and 50's for lunch....so happy that the fried herb cheese appetizer is back, I really enjoyed devouring it! Hit WPC for BBQ chicken pizza and meatloaf - we shared each others. Went to Flame Tree and had a BBQ pork sandwichand ribs - yum! Oh yes, then there were various snacks from multiple places. We were very busy eating!

GAGWTA!!:goodvibes

CherylDan: mmm that food sounds so yummy!!! I am hungry so it sounds even better. We went to F&W once, and I remember the lamb chops from Australia and lemonade from Japan.
I would love to go back again

minnijeannie - I am so sorry you now have to deal with all of this too, the boiling water, worrying about your dmom and at least you know she is in a safe place getting the care she needs. Maybe they will make some sort of exception for rental houses and vacation houses at the shore. I think they should really do that or else the shore communities are really gong to be hurting etc. My cousins live in Miltown, Jackson, Edison and my bff is in Dunellen. My cousins in Brick were evacuated as the apt. bldg. was condemmed by FEMA I think and one was stuck on the 2nd floor I think by little silver. I am hearing all of this second hand from my aunt etc.

Cheryl - my cousin loves Raglan Road.

Well the power went out again this morning. Its back now. Sitting here with my hoodie on. Just being prepared and the flashlight at the ready again. This is getting weary.

Oh and I got a nice little letter from the er about all my abnormal test results that should be "discussed with your dr". Hmm, oh yes, a nice little list. Heart stuff, not surprised there, thats bad genetics in my family,Worst thing was a nodule in the lung that seems to have grown. Although they say it has decreased. I think its a typo. Its gone from 0.5 to 2.5. This has me concerned to say the least. I will discuss this with the endo on mon. and bring her the papers. I didnt share this with dh when he called today.

Last night I just had a cry fest and the ds asked me why. I said I dont want to discuss it. I told them go make some frozen pizza as I was too upset to cook.

Well I will see what the dr. says and any medical stuff is just going to have to wait till after the trip etc.

I need to order the wheelchair and town car soon.

The gas lines are still horrible here. I read one girl waited 2 1/2 hours by one of the ds colleges yest and when it was near her turn they ran out of gas.

I told dh no gong to work friday. Just waste what gas you have waiting on line to get gas. I heard alot of places have a $40 limit..

Told dh would be nice to retire to a warm area etc. Less taxes too I am sure.

GAGWTA

lmp: omg my heart is hurting for you! Really...My personal property issues are minor compared to health issues. Cry all you want! Eat all your Halloween candy you bought that you could never give out. EAT IT ALL!! I say

Cental and Southern Jersey have little or no lines here today, I am odd number and can get gas today so going to try and go to Costco and see what happens. I have half tank but with wonderful Nor Easter heading here right about now I figure I better fill up

Oh please no power outages today or tomorrow. I could not deal with it again.

and they are evacuating people once again in Union Beach, Keyport,etc. There is nowhere for them to go but to PA. Hotels all full...:eek::eek:

mini - how did you do with the snow? We had about 2 inches here.

Well ds24 got some gas. It was better than winning the lottery! He said he saw a place on the way to work and waited 15 minutes. When he went to work he told his co workers. They all left and went but when they got there the place was out of gas.:(

Well tomm. starts odd/even gas rationing here, yeah, I have to look but I think dh is even and its an odd day tomm, oh well, such is our luck lately.

Ds21 is helping at a food drive on sat.

Thinking of you all. GAGWTA

lmp; we had about 5 inches of snow which caused the new power outage...Hopefully be back soon. Mom ran out of oxygen and the supplier's phone number is down.. Anything else????

This weekend proves to be nicer. Here we are getting to 55 degrees.. YEAH

I received a thank you note from Lisa's husband Paul. Was really sweet.

mini - how are things today? Thinking of you

Linda - so, so sorry about Remy

Sha - I am sure Paul was appreciative of what you did in memory of our dear Lisa Is your moms b day soon? and your celebration trip.

Laurie - how is your dd managing in the city?

I am doing my countdown. 2 weeks from tomm.:) Also tomm. is the infusion. I let dh read the letter and told the ds why I was so upset. So I will run the papers by the dr. tomm. Also helps if it is something that ds moms friend is a np in the pulmonary unit so she will be good to deal with if necessary.

Also dh now informs me that even though its his day off and he promised to be with me, he is just going to go drop me off for the infusion while he goes and speaks to someone at the univ. for one of his projects. Hmm, I am not happy about that one. Oh well.

Our church is so full of food for the food drive. They are picking it up tomm.
Next week ds is volunteering again. The 2 ds helped a sweet lady. Everyone here has been more than kind and giving.

Gas lines are away, way down, Most I saw was 6 people. Such a stress reliever.

I am hoping not to get the high fever and dillusions tomm. Also flu like symptoms and chills for 2 days. I have a meeting Tues. and already told the lady I might not be there etc.

GAGWTA. Have a great day everyone.

3 more sleeps until the celebration event. And a week until her birthday. Everything is pre birthday, hope she will be good with a quiet evening. LOL

presents for mom and R are wrapped. and one for someone else who is coming. Will start packing tonight I think. I have to have it done so we can go on time. Hoping to prepare main course of 2 meals ahead of time. I need to figure out veggies though. I don't want to do frozen but may have to. I may do green beans as I can also prep those. I don't want to over think. May have different tomatoes cut up too. Suggestions welcome. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter