• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Direct Sales "Shower" Is this a new trend?

daughtersrus

DIS Veteran
I have received a few "invites" to showers with links to direct marketing companies like Norwex, Pampered Chef, Amway...

To me, it seems tacky.
The person holding the shower is the salesperson for the company. I assume that she is making a commission on the sales and since there's no actual shower, there are no expenses like food, drink, decorations....

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but it seems like a gift grab and not actually celebrating the upcoming wedding. :rolleyes:

I have chosen not to order but still gets gifts on my own to give the brides

Good lord, I hope it's not a new trend. That's awful! While the point of a shower is to shower the bride with gifts, this isn't the way to do it IMO!

It isn't new. My sister had a bridal shower with Tupperware, over 30 years ago.

But, no, I wouldn't go to one now.

Good lord, I hope it's not a new trend. That's awful! While the point of a shower is to shower the bride with gifts, this isn't the way to do it IMO!
You do shower the bride with gifts... You order gifts from the company for the bride. You can buy for yourself as well.

I follow antimlm on reddit and have seen people talk about these recently. No thanks. I'll just send the bride a card and a check. I'd rather watch paint peel than sit through another one of those.

You do shower the bride with gifts... You order gifts from the company for the bride. You can buy for yourself as well.
These aren't actual parties. They are online with links to place your order and instructions to have them sent directly to the bride

A shower without the expense of a shower. The person "hosting " the shower earns commission

Then there is nothing at all new about this.

If I understand the OP, the difference is that this "Tupperware party" is taking place during a bridal shower. I've been to bridal showers and I've been to "Tupperware parties" (though not actually Tupperware) but never a "Tupperware party" as a bridal shower.

If there was no actual shower party then I would not order a shower gift. I agree with OP that it just sounds like a gift grab. I would just give a wedding present.

The only difference is that there isn't an actual party.

It's a list of links to order online and have them shipped directly to the bride (you have to pay for shipping and handling)
Oh, ok, I didn't realize there was a bride involved. Showers can be for engagements or pregnancies as well. I thought it was just being used as a general term for a party.

Oh, ok, I didn't realize there was a bride involved. Showers can be for engagements or pregnancies as well. I thought it was just being used as a general term for a party.

True, I just assumed bridal shower based on the bolded.

I have received a few "invites" to showers with links to direct marketing companies like Norwex, Pampered Chef, Amway...

To me, it seems tacky.
The person holding the shower is the salesperson for the company. I assume that she is making a commission on the sales and since there's no actual shower, there are no expenses like food, drink, decorations....

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky but it seems like a gift grab and not actually celebrating the upcoming wedding. :rolleyes:

I have chosen not to order but still gets gifts on my own to give the brides

I've been to several direct sales parties that were bridal showers. The couple registered for gifts, just like registering at a store, and guests selected gifts from their registry with the direct sales company. There were refreshments and games, just like other bridal showers. And no one was pressured to order. I overheard one consultant tell a guest that it wasn't a problem if she had already chosen a gift for the couple somewhere else. None of the consultants at the bridal showers I attended were the hosts. The hosts were usually a family member or close friend.

I don't attend things like this , I always felt obligated to buy.
Well, that is kind of the point.

Often, if it isn't a "shower" of some sort, you end up listening to the "consultant's" sob story. And of course, if you do decide to buy something, you will always receive the obligatory "you would be so great doing this," spiel.

I follow antimlm on reddit and have seen people talk about these recently. No thanks. I'll just send the bride a card and a check. I'd rather watch paint peel than sit through another one of those.

Thanks for sharing that thread!

Lots of good info, and has taken me out of my afternoon lull.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter