• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Direct Flights to Orlando

Lorna7

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I hope I've posted this in the right place??
Does anyone know why there are no direct flights now from Ottawa, Canada to Orlando airport, and from Toronto, Canada to Orlando airport? There always used to be direct flights.
I wonder if the direct flights are discontinued permanently or just temporary?
Thanks in advance!

I would assume this is just a supply/demand thing with the current travel downturn due to COVID. In addition, the restrictions that Canada has on folks entering the country are quite strict so I am sure that isn't helping any flights to the states.

I would assume this is just a supply/demand thing with the current travel downturn due to COVID. In addition, the restrictions that Canada has on folks entering the country are quite strict so I am sure that isn't helping any flights to the states.

Speaking of. Totally different continent, but I was just curious to see how much flights are from London to Orlando (I'm not from London. I'm just fans of a couple Disney UK vloggers and was curious). Virgin Atlantic doesn't have any flights going to Orlando from London. None. It's a restriction or something. I thought that was interesting.

Many airlines cut back on routes serviced due to covid. Each will probably add back service as the volume of those traveling increases but there is no way to know when that will be. Google Flight Search is a good website to use to see who has non-stop service between various locations.

Two things, I am not sure if Orlando is functioning as a full international airport right now or not. Many airports in the US have curtailed or eliminated their international arrivals due to the need to staff customs and immigrations and the associated international terminals. There may be no direct flights from Canada because you need to clear customs at a busier airport like Atlanta or Miami first.

As far as flights to/from London there are serious travel restrictions imposed by the UK government right now. You pretty much can't leave the UK on an international flight unless it is for work, education, or medical reasons. It isn't currently legal to travel for leisure on an international flight out of the UK while the stay at home orders are in place. Since there are so few flights coming out of London the number of flights in are just as few and far between.

Two things, I am not sure if Orlando is functioning as a full international airport right now or not. Many airports in the US have curtailed or eliminated their international arrivals due to the need to staff customs and immigrations and the associated international terminals. There may be no direct flights from Canada because you need to clear customs at a busier airport like Atlanta or Miami first.

Under normal circumstances when you fly from most major airports in Canada to the US you actually clear customs etc in Canada and you arrive in the US like it was a domestic flight. There are 8 Canadian airports you can fly from that do this. My feeling is they are still doing this as it is already setup so it's most likely lack of flights as there are not a lot traveling right now as only essential travel is allowed.

I thought the US/Canadian border was closed? Or am I missing something?

It is closed to all but essential travel, though I am not sure what they are considering essential. I know trucks carrying shipments are allowed across. I have a co-worker who is now retired and he is moving to Alaska and he is allowed to cross the border at a land crossing to get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter