Dinner was HOW MUCH?! Don’t tell your Dad!-A Princess Half Marathon Trip!-Newx2 11/21

JessM

We all have a dream
Dinner was HOW MUCH?! Don’t tell your Dad!-A Girls PHM Trip!

All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them! – Walt Disney

755243-1058-0026s_zps56d48710.jpg

Hello everyone and welcome to my 3rd trip report here on the DISBoards!
This trip was the magical, girly, Princess weekend I dreamed it would be! It was my first Mother Daughter trip and we had a complete blast! I also was able to make one of my many dreams come true, running my first Disney half marathon!

Guys, I got to run through Cinderella Castle!! How awesome is that!
Before I give everything away let me first introduce the cast!

Me – Jess

IMG_1701_zps3522ab16.jpg

For those of you who haven’t read any of trip reports yet, I’m Jess! I’m a 24 year old Disney fanatic who has been coming to the World pretty much every year since I was 4! I’m an engineer by day and Disney dreamer by night.

I’m definitely the Disney planner of the family and this trip was no exception. I’ve also recently become a runner, which is why we were taking this trip!

Favorites:
Characters: Rapunzel, Elsa, Peter Pan
Movie: Peter Pan, Tangled, Aladdin
Parks: Magic Kingdom
Rides: TSM, BTMRR, Peter Pan’s Flight
Disney Snack: Mickey Bar, Mickey Rice Krispee Treats

Mom

IMG_1727_zpsff12f93a.jpg

My wonderful Mother, she is one of my best friends and one of the best travel companions around. She’s down to go to Disney anytime as long as someone else does the planning haha. Bonus points if it gets her out of Maine during the long cold winter we had, and are still having.

She completed her first solo flights this trip (Go Mom!) and was a trooper coming and cheering me on during both races of the weekend!

She’s a Disney fan through and through, though maybe not quite as much as me. My parents first went to Disney in the 80s and have been going back almost yearly ever since.

Characters: Goofy, Ariel
Movie: The Little Mermaid
Parks: Magic Kingdom
Rides: BTMRR
Disney Snack: Mickey Ice Cream Sandwiches

Honorable Mention:

Dad

IMG_0683_zps11a161e3.jpg

My Dad did not go on this trip but he was nice enough to pay our room charges for us, hence the title of the trip report. He was thrilled we had such a good trip and had a chance to go together just us girls. He’s a huge Disney fan so he was a trooper in taking one for the team and staying home so we could do a girls trip!

Baxter

IMG_1257_zps5478601e.jpg

My little furball puppy. He normally doesn’t make the cut in these things because he stays home but he was the best training partner I could ever ask for so he’s making the cut this time. He was always down to go for a run with me whether it was cold or hot, rainy, dark or windy.

The Why:

This wasn’t my typical trip to Disney, my main reason for being there was to participate in the Glass Slipper Challenge!
That meant I was running the Enchanted 10k on Saturday followed by the Princess Half Marathon on Sunday!

IMG_1379_zpsc55d3078.jpg

IMG_1381_zps96c9964e.jpg

This was my first RunDisney weekend and I had no idea really what to expect but I was so excited to run 19.3 magical miles!

1780859_10202336423785517_1249429435_n_zpsb3c16d43.jpg

The main reason I started running was to participate in the Princess Half Marathon.

In Jan of 2013 I was looking for something to get me back and shape and something I would actually stick with. While looking around on Pinterest I found a ton of RunDisney blogs and I knew I had to do Princess weekend the next year. Running through theme parks with Disney characters!? Sign me up! I also like the idea of training for a half marathon because that’s something I’d have to stick with, and really work at.

So I got to work training for a few races around my home town before attempting to run one at Disney, between the humidity and shear number of people I wanted to be ready!

I completed 3 10ks and 3 half marathons before the Princess Half.

My personal records were:
10k: 54:02
Half Marathon: 2:08:12

935822_621895177835818_1949036774_n_zps8aee98a9.jpg

Here I am after my first half marathon! It was hot, it was humid, but I did it and it was fun! I was ready to take on Disney!

The Where!

I rented DVC points because I knew that a long running weekend would lead to more relaxing around the resort time.

IMG_1973_zps3f0961b8.jpg

So I booked my dream resort, the Boardwalk! The 10k ended up going right by the Boardwalk and I knew I could just walk back to the hotel from the Half Marathon, so it worked out perfectly! I booked a Garden View studio and it worked out perfectly!

We also added a night and stayed at the family favorite
POP!

IMG_1355_zps806e6033.jpg

The When!

February 20th-25th!

I’m so excited to share the magic of this Disney trip with all of you. We had a fabulous time and I LOVED my first RunDisney events.

I’m going to try my best to go into detail on the races, race logistics and add some of my own advice, a lot of recaps online about Disney races just speed over the races quick and I don’t want to do that, but hopefully I won’t bore you all to tears haha. I took a ton of pictures during the races and before so it won’t be all me yammerin I promise!

I’ll also admit I didn’t take the best notes after I completed the Half, I blame the lack of sleep and magical Disney high I got from that race, but I still have lots of photos and magical memories to share

Whew, I think that’s it for the intro!

First entry will be on it’s way soon!

FIRST!!! I loved seeing photos on Instagram and I'm excited to hear about the races!

Well it's about time you started this!! :p

OK I'll start again... YAY You started!!! Much better. :thumbsup2

........ AND Courtney beat me to first point. :furious: (Just kidding Courtney... sort of).

Not that I'll actually ever do one, but I realy am looking forward to your marathon stories. Actually that makes it even more interesting since I will probably never do one. At least until they start the 19.3M (as in metres) race events. I'll be all over those.

I'm in! My goal is to do a RunDisney Event soonish... With my luck it will be after military retirement thou... But that just means I have longer to train! 2 years 2 months!

Congrats on finishing and earning your glass slipper!

I'm in. I'll be running the glass slipper challenge in a few years. I promised my DH that we would bring the kids next time we go to Disney. Since my DS is two and we didn't want to go before he was five, I have another 3 years before I get to run it. :(

Still I am looking forward to reading about your race and how it went.

Subbing! :wave2:

I clicked on the TR because of the title (I am also writing a GSC TR and love to read others) then read your first post and realized we have so much in common that it is scary!

1. I also started running in Jan 2013 with the goal of doing the 2014 PHM. I completed 2 10ks and 2 halfs in preparation for the PHM (and your PRs are scarily close to mine!)

2. I also rented points to stay in the BWV for the first time!

3. My mom, my sister, and I went on this trip, leaving my Dad at home with my dog.

4. We added a night to our trip and ended up at a value (All Star Sports).

5. I also dressed as Rapunzel for the half! But your costume is way better than mine, in fact I think I may have seen you on the course, I remember seeing a stuffed pascal ahead of me and thinking what a great idea!

Sooo anyways, hopefully that didn't come off as weird and creepy lol, I'm just excited that somebody else had similar experiences, can't wait to read about it!

I'm in!

I'm PP's sister so ditto on having a similarly planned trip. Can't wait to hear/see how your weekend panned out!

I am checking in here.

Baxter is adorable.

FIRST!!! I loved seeing photos on Instagram and I'm excited to hear about the races!

Yay! I totally slacked on posting on there but I'm glad you liked them! pixiedust:

Well it's about time you started this!! :p

OK I'll start again... YAY You started!!! Much better. :thumbsup2

........ AND Courtney beat me to first point. :furious: (Just kidding Courtney... sort of).

Not that I'll actually ever do one, but I realy am looking forward to your marathon stories. Actually that makes it even more interesting since I will probably never do one. At least until they start the 19.3M (as in metres) race events. I'll be all over those.

Haha I know! Real life is getting in the way!

Better luck next time haha

I can't wait to share all about them! And I think they do some kid races that are that short, maybe just fib your age a bit ;)

I'm in. Sounds like a fantastic weekend.

pixiedust: Welcome!

Of course I am in! :goodvibes

Yay! Welcome! pixiedust: So happy to have you along again!

I'm in! My goal is to do a RunDisney Event soonish... With my luck it will be after military retirement thou... But that just means I have longer to train! 2 years 2 months!

Congrats on finishing and earning your glass slipper!

I hope you get to do one soon, they are too much fun! And addicting, so watch out :lmao:

Thank you! pixiedust:

Following along...plan on running phm next year!

pixiedust: Welcome! And that is awesome, I think I'm running next year too!

I'm in. I'll be running the glass slipper challenge in a few years. I promised my DH that we would bring the kids next time we go to Disney. Since my DS is two and we didn't want to go before he was five, I have another 3 years before I get to run it. :(

Still I am looking forward to reading about your race and how it went.

It will be well worth the wait, it was an amazing experience, I loved it! pixiedust:

Following along! :)

Welcome! pixiedust:

Joining in :) I loved seeing your photo updates on Instagram :goodvibes:

Thanks for following along! pixiedust:

Welcome! pixiedust:

Subbing! :wave2:

I clicked on the TR because of the title (I am also writing a GSC TR and love to read others) then read your first post and realized we have so much in common that it is scary!

1. I also started running in Jan 2013 with the goal of doing the 2014 PHM. I completed 2 10ks and 2 halfs in preparation for the PHM (and your PRs are scarily close to mine!)

2. I also rented points to stay in the BWV for the first time!

3. My mom, my sister, and I went on this trip, leaving my Dad at home with my dog.

4. We added a night to our trip and ended up at a value (All Star Sports).

5. I also dressed as Rapunzel for the half! But your costume is way better than mine, in fact I think I may have seen you on the course, I remember seeing a stuffed pascal ahead of me and thinking what a great idea!

Sooo anyways, hopefully that didn't come off as weird and creepy lol, I'm just excited that somebody else had similar experiences, can't wait to read about it!

1. Oh my gosh that is too funny! And awesome!
2. Such a great idea, we loved staying there.
3. Haha our poor Dad's
4. So necessary, at least for us!
5. Such a good costume choice! Haha that would have been too funny, it may have been me!

Not creepy at all, that's awesome! pixiedust:

I'm in!

I'm PP's sister so ditto on having a similarly planned trip. Can't wait to hear/see how your weekend panned out!

Welcome! pixiedust: I've been following along with you too, it's interesting to see how your weekend was when we did so many things similar!

I am checking in here.

Baxter is adorable.

Welcome! pixiedust:

And thanks, he's too cute for his own good haha.

It’s Finally Disney Day!!!

Hey everyone, thanks again for following along!

I know travel days can be kind of boring but I think mine was slightly interesting, either way feel free to skip ahead to the good stuff if you wish!

I had a noon flight out of my local airport but I decided to skip work that day in favor of pulling my life together and dropping off my poor injured car at the body shop (someone literally ran into my car, like just with their body not a vehicle, and I had a lovely dent to show for it)
I got up and finishing getting all my stuff together.

IMG_1251_zps1706b248.jpg

Someone was extremely sad I was leaving soon.

I’m a sucker for sad faces so we took one last spin around the winter wonderland before I had to leave.

IMG_1253_zps68961747.jpg

IMG_1259_zps896b7918.jpg

It certainly was pretty but I was so ready for some warm weather and sunshine!

IMG_1260_zpse738835d.jpg

I don’t know about you guys but I personally hate being able to see out my living room windows haha.

My Dad met me at the body shop and took me over to the airport, thanks Dad! Poor guy was acting as chauffer all day because my Mom left after me at 5!

I got to the airport at 11am, and I had checked my bags and gone through security by 11:10am
Folks I love Portland

IMG_1261_zps4a9bd732.jpg

Just look at those check in lines

IMG_1262_zps62f35f60.jpg

And security… yup literally no one in front of me!

I save my line waiting for Disney ; )

One of the security officers at the check point was chatting with me about my Disney backpack when I was on the way thru the security line, he couldn’t believe I hadn’t upgraded my ’07 Disney bag in 7 years, it vintage ok ; ) haha

I had a little time before my flight started boarding so wandered around the terminal for a bit. I was happy to see they finally finished the play area.

IMG_1263_zpsf05fc605.jpg

IMG_1264_zpscbadccc8.jpg

Soon enough it was time to board and in no time leg 1 to Orlando had begun!
Ok so literally right as the wheels left the ground someone on the flight shouted “is there a doctor on board!”

Scariest thing ever!

On the one hand I felt really bad for whoever was having trouble, but on the other hand I was praying they’d be ok enough to continue to Baltimore. I was flying Southwest and they only have 2 flights a day out of Portland and this one was full and the last one… getting sent back and possibly cancelled would not have been good at all!

Luckily it sounded like someone had low blood sugar or something, one lady came around looking for a blood sugar reader, so we ended up continuing as scheduled to Baltimore… phew!
We landed 20 mins early, and paramedics came aboard immediately. They let us off row by row as long as the paramedics weren’t ready to bring the patient out yet, lucky I was in the 5th row and got off immediately, people are so efficient when they are worried they may get stuck on there!
I had an hour and a half layover so I walked around a bit and got some lunch.

IMG_1265_zpsea17b8ef.jpg

Mmmm I do love Chipolete!

Soon it was time to board leg 2!

IMG_1266_zps5db652a5.jpg

They were asking for volunteers to wait for the next flight even after everyone had boarded, I was tempted $350 plus one one-way ticket but I just wanted to get to Disney! In hindsight that could have almost been a quick Halloween trip and I should have totally went for it, all well.
I arrived in glorious Orlando right on schedule after a thankfully quiet second flight!

IMG_1267_zps178a6b70.jpg

IMG_1268_zps61a48d01.jpg

I’m going there!

Unfortunately my Mom was not doing so well. Delta cancelled her original flight and then put her on an American flight that got delayed, so she re-booked again and was finally on her way to Orlando. It was a little stressful but we were crossing our fingers she wouldn’t have any more trouble that night!
I made my way down towards the Magical Express, second time ever!

There was literally no line so I walked right thru scanning my magic band twice, maybe three times. They were all green so before I knew it I boarded an almost full bus to POP!

IMG_1269_zps67b98f15.jpg

We waited on the bus maybe 5 minutes before we pulled away from the airport.

I was sitting at the very back of the bus with a younger couple. I was SO happy I only had to spend a 30 min bus ride next to them and not the whole week. She was super grumpy and he was just playing on his phone the whole time. The husband asked about AOA and the wife replied “that’s the kids resort. I booked POP because it’s much more adult and there won’t be as many kids over there.”
I was trying my best not to laugh at her.

All Value resorts have children, a lot of them. Plus the pee wees from Pop Warner were staying over at POP for the week, that poor lady must not have been happy.

Anyways, unable to damper my Disney spirit we were on our way grumpy couple in tow!

IMG_1271_zps4cfc13c5.jpg

We finally made it under those wonderful arches and we were finally home!

There was the most adorable little boy sitting in front of me who was so excited to get to Disney, he must have asked every 5 mins if we were there yet.

And finally we were after a quick pit stop at AOA!

IMG_1273_zps4930158b.jpg

POP!

IMG_1275_zpsf034ee42.jpg

Apparently POP is not the Motel 6 and they do not leave the light on for you haha.

Even the bus driver commented that maybe they were closed and he’d have to take us back to the airport lol.

I grabbed my carry ons from underneath the bus and quickly made my way to check in. I had done online check in and the whole process was super easy I literally felt like they threw packet at me, made sure I knew what MDE was and said I was good to go. You don’t have to tell me twice!

IMG_1276_zpseeb4f96f.jpg

I made my way up to the room to drop my stuff and change. We were in the 50’s in the building behind Tramp.

We had a great view and it was super close to the Food Court, I could have happily stayed there all week!

I quickly changed and dropped my stuff and then headed right back out to the bus stops. I knew I was going to make Wishes and I was SO excited!

I waited 10mins to board my first articulated bus, very exciting stuff and I was off to the most magical place on earth!

Stay Tuned!

I am here!!!!!

I was there Feb 21-25 for a long mom and daughter weekend. We stayed at POP in the 50's building too. I am excitedly reading your trip report.

I did the half only. Next year, maybe the GSC.

Your puppy is adorable.

I'm definitely joining in because this trip goes over my birthday (Feb 24th) and I've been looking into maybe doing some run Disney events to get in shape!

I'd love to do a Princess Half but Feb is such a terrible time for my DW to get work off. Who knows though, maybe someday ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter