Dinner w/our ADHD son....????

findingnemofan

Earning My Ears
can kids eat their dinner and lunch in the club/lab? what are the hours of operation? do you have to eat with your kids every night? our son who is 8 has ADHD---and sitting down at a restaurant at dinner time is difficult for him---and for us too!!! he is fine until his meds wear off around 4pm...how does this work? any moms of ADHD boys---i would appreciate your feedback--
My hubbie and I want to enjoy family time---yet we also want to enjoy our meals alone---insight please!!!
amy:

Yes, the kids can eat in the clubs. However, I would recommend ordering room service. We have an ADD son who did okay at the dinners. It was harder for him to eat at the kids club. He would go, but not eat enough. We'd then have to get him more food later. Next time, we'll order in -- the menu is great. It would just give me more peace of mind. Good luck!

Thanks for your insight....could you order the kids room service dinner to eat while you and hubbie get ready for dinner alone at palo or somewhere ---and then bring them to the club/lab in the evening---while the adults are dining? Do the kids have to order off the kids menu when you order in room service for dinner?
also--when they are in the club---do they stay in the club's room the whole time--or do the counselors take them around the ship ---to swim or to do activities? our sons have stayed at the Sandcastle Club--and the Neverland Club-at Disney--and loved it there!!! I think the cruise will be even funner for them!!!

Originally posted by findingnemofan
Do the kids have to order off the kids menu when you order in room service for dinner?

Kids never HAVE to order off the kids menu, they can order what ever they want.

My DS is severely ADHD and Bi-Polar. Talk to your doctor. Our DS takes Concerta now, and a pretty high dose, but it still wears off by dinner time. The doctor gave a script for an additional low dose of Ritalin--just enough to take off the edge but not kill the appetite for dinner to be taken in the late afternoon. It worked like a charm. We had him eat with us, then let him leave after the main course to head back to Common Grounds. That little extra also gave him what he needed to continue on at Common Grounds late into the evening.

I'm not into overmedicating kids on a day-to-day basis. But as we all know with ADHD kids diversion from routine makes the problems much worse, and they do'nt enjoy themselves when they can't get it together. So there are times that adding additional doses of meds are appropriate for you and your kid's mental health.

Anne

Thanks for the insight--our son is 8 and is on one Strattera per day--and a clonidine at bedtime.....the strattera works great---but when it wears off--it is obvious. it is a good suggestion to ask our ped. for a "cruise" dosing schedule.....it is good to hear from parents of older kids--who are surviving--and doing great!!!
If our Michael isn't on any meds(we tried that)---he literally spins and bounces off walls like a pinball---so putting him on meds was the best thing we could do--for him---and the rest of our family!!!
We can't wait to cruise--it sounds like a REAL vacation!!! Do you ever want to do the parks after you've gotten the cruising bug??!!

amy

You had a question about the kids clubs taking the children out of the lab/club and around the ship, they do this sometimes and its always listed on the schedule, however they DO NOT take them swimming at all. So any swimming has to be done with family.
Hope this helps
Aimee

Are you scheduled for early or late seating? that could impact your decision of remedicating/adjusting dosages. But, he won't be the only bouncy boy in the dining room. My son's Rx wears off by dinner (or he wouldn't eat anything & he's too skinny as it is) which makes dinner a "pleasure". Letting the kids leave afer the main course (taking them to the kids club) sounds like a good idea to me b/c if there is one thing I have noticed, Disney does not rush you through dinner (in the sit down restaurants at the parks/resorts or onthe cruise) except a little bit faster with the early seating (have to get ready for the late seating). The long dinners can be hard on all little ones.

we are scheduled for the late seating---i was also told that we can order room service dinner for the kids---to eat --while we get showered and ready for our 8*30 dinner--then take them to the kids club for the evening......this would not work if we plan on seeing the shows before dinner tho---have to think about it-
-i hear you---about the eating and the too skinny--i do also love it when my son has a great appetite at dinner

a possibility is to get them room service around 4:30-5:00--then go to shows together--then we adults will eat a leisurely late dinner while the kids are in the club....hmmmm...that might work....i especially like the idea that the kids are not limited to ordering just off the kids menu for room service---he could get a steak for dinner--which he loves!!!

i imagine if they eat dinner in the kids clubs--it is the standard disney chicken tenders, etc etc.....

another option is to take them to the kids only dinner buffet at Topsiders--from 5:30-6:30---then onto the clubs while we eat....
there are options---which i am excited for!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter