• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dining with an intolerance at DlP

noodlesmum

DIS Veteran
I'm sorry for the bombardment of threads! Lol!

My youngest son is both gluten and lactose intolerant, he will be two when we next visit. In preparation for our trip I have begun to look at his dining options and was pleased to see that DlP had an allergen free menu in the resort, however upon more investigation the meals provided look horrific! Not something that I think I could convince him to eat! I wondered if anyone had any first hand experience of gluten and/or lactose free dining at DlP?

I guess the best option is to go to the buffet restaurants for a wide and easy choice of dishes.

My DD1 has a protein intolerance and as a result, as a younger child, couldn't tolerate anything with cows milk or soya milk (or even just soya) in it - she would be really quite poorly. We did a number of visits (3-4 or so) during the time when she was at her worst and I'll be honest, it was never easy - they just don't 'get' intolerances in France - or not imo they don't at DLRP. My DD2 was diagnosed as a small baby and as I was breastfeeding, I had to give up dairy for a year too - one of our trips I was in this situation and I found it hard.

As recommended above, we ate at buffets mainly - Inventions was always a hit - although you need to be careful as they do tend to mix up the meal labels for dishes sometimes which is a total nightmare and really isn't on tbh. We'd breakfast at DLH as stayed there each time and she ate various things from the buffet breakfast - things like egg, toast and fruit. For a while she could tolerate soya and we found that they always had soya milk at breakfast if you asked for it. But then she became intolerant to that too and it wasn't just in milk - it was in all foods - believe me, soya is in nearly everything processed!! We managed but it was always a little stressful at mealtimes! Obviously it's another ballgame when it's two issues to contend with and while we could give our DD pastries at breakfast, that isn't an option for your DS.

I would stick to buffets, and if you get really stuck go for the special meals as a one off. Breakfast is going to be more of an issue depending on where you stay - I'd recommend a hotel providing a hot breakfast if possible, as you can always get scrambled egg (as long as not mixed with cream which is rarely is), bacon and 'proper' fruit if nothing else. I don't know if it's still the case the but the lower budget hotels used to serve tinned fruit - I believe, but this isn't ideal if there isn't much else to choose from. We'd always take a banana or apple for her from breakfast to have during the day and I'd always take snacks from home too - things like organix fruit pots (I'd wrap them in carrier bags and then put in a tupperware dish, then wrap that too, travelled just fine! This was just in case we really struggled, but we always managed somehow!

On the positive, she still has the intolerance but is much, much better now (she is almost 11). She can now tolerate cheese, yogurt and many other things with dairy in - she still cannot tolerate 'raw' cow's milk though as she can't digest the unprocessed protein. She just doesn't have milk when on holiday as most of the time we can't find what she has at home - oat milk. But she still gets her Vit D and calcium intake through the other dairy foods she can now have. She is an amazing eater and will eat anything and everything - we are so lucky as obviously with her start in life, I was concerned.

We've never let her diet issues rule or ruin our holidays but obviously it's not a full blown allergy which is completely different.

I hope this helps - it can be done :)!

As always when food intolerance are concerned, do not hesitate to talk about it when booking your restaurants. They may set-up alternate meals, and have a brochure for most common intolerances.

Also, when checking in the restaurant, kindly remind the greeter, to make sure staff is aware. They may not need your guidance to find out the best options but they'll be willing to help!

Let us know how things went!

Thank you all for your replies. Dlpdreams thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, it sounds like you had your hands full! I, like you, don't want it to rule where we go on holiday too but I can see it will certainly present challenges! My Ds's diagnosis is fairly new (since Nov) and he will be almost two when we go - though we've known since birth something was wrong but it was diagnosed as reflux. I think the worse thing is my eldest (6yo) will want to eat everything and ds2 won't understand why he can't! We are staying at the Mariott resort so will self cater for breakfast and one other meal a day for ease but would still like to eat out once a day. I think as you advise buffets are the way to go! It's reassuring to know that it gets easier and doesn't effect eating habits later down the line :)

No problem - PM me if you'd like any further info. DD1 was almost 2 years old before she was diagnosed - my GP refused to believe there was an issue, as at that time she was putting on weight but had lots of other nasty symptoms! It wasn't until we moved and I got a new Health Visitor that things started to move towards help - by that point we were in a pretty bad way tbh. DD2 came along and had 'severe reflux' - hmmm, turned out it was dairy intolerance and she was getting it from my milk (she was solely breastfed). So I went dairy free when she was about 3 weeks old for a year - oh how I missed milk chocolate :eek:.

So, you have my sympathy! But yes, it does get better :). You will be fine partly self catering and choosing buffets the rest of the time I'm sure :thumbsup2.

We took our own microwaveable rice sachets with us and there are microwaves in some restaurants - plaza gardens and the rendezvous des stars in the studios park, and I am sure some others. Inventions were able to cook steak with no sauce separately, but best to let know in advance of any special needs (by that I mean when you are there, but ahead of the booking of the meal). There is an email address (not sure if still used as 3 years ago) and they helped with information on this - dlp.cro.special.need@disneylandparis.com

You are right that the meals are not that good for intolerance so I agree with the above people to go for buffets

Last edited:

Ah brilliant thanks for that - We've picked a mixture of TS and buffets - I'm hoping that the TS restaurants (Walts and Chez Remi) will be able to modify a menu for us! Fingers crossed!

I'd love to hear how it goes, and if they will do a modified menu instead of a prepackaged allergen dinner. My kids are dairy protied intolerant!

I just wrote into disabilites and allergies, and they were very nice. They alerted my hotel, and offered both the Natama menu or a table service menu adaption to our needs, with the caveat that the later may have cross contamination. The only sadness is that I had ordered a cake, but they cannot make it dairy free, so I must cancel it :(

It made me wonder how others' trips have gone, so I thought I'd check it. Are you back? How did it go?

I just went to DLP and I'm gluten free. I had a very hard time. I ate at Earl of Sandwich a LOT. Ate a lot of their salads. Otherwise I ate fries in the park, and one day I had the roasted chicken from the restaurant by Pinocchio. Honestly I just took the chance on the fries and the chicken. With the language barrier it was just too difficult. I didn't get sick (I usually don't if there's only slight cross contamination) but it wasn't my ideal. I ate only french fries for a couple meals. I also didn't do any sit down meals, so it may help to do those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter